Yet Another Possibly Twins Post UPDATE post #34 w/ us video - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 12-29-2008, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I know you are well-worn on these posts, so please accept my apologies for adding to the mountain. I also know it helps so much to be able to "talk" about what's going on and to be heard by those who understand. I know you can't give me an answer, but I do know you can give me support and a listening ear. And if I do happen to be one of the very few who come out of this with two healthy babies, I'll be here with you a lot! I have two weeks until my early ultrasound at 6.5 weeks, when we will be looking specifically for a headcount. I know it will be a challenging two weeks for me!

Some of you may recognize my username from a while ago. I was wondering about twins during my last pregnancy (pg #4), for which I had no real clear indications, just a kind of suspicion. She was just one. So I've been burned by this before, and I'm definitely wary and wondering if I'm in fact crazy

Anyway, here goes. We started talking about adding another child to our family of 3 kids as a hypothetical. About a week into the conversation my fertility returned, surprisingly as I was only 9 months postpartum and breastfeeding 3 children! After much debate, we did decide to "open the door" and I began tracking my basal body temps. The day I started to ovulate, with clear feelings from my ovary, my grandmother died. I was under a lot of stress the next four days, and my ovulation was delayed. I felt it gearing up and down each day and it was really quite frustrating and a little painful! Finally, on the day of her absolutely magical funeral service and my 30th birthday, I ovulated. The next day my temp shot up. I had felt ovulation pains on both sides, but thought little of it. Then 7 days later my temps went up again into a triphasic pattern, which has never happened to me. I felt my ovaries pulsing back and forth rhythmically that day, definitely both of them were secreting progesterone from separate corpus luteums. On 13dpo I got a BFP, a blood draw, and felt my ovaries do a similar tango back and forth. My temps shot up again after that. My blood work showed:

13dpo hCG: 146, prog: 24.5
15dpo hCG: 482, prog: 20.5
doubling time: 27 hours

Now I expected my progesterone to be higher than that with two corpus luteums (lutea?), but from my research I've found that progesterone levels vary widely throughout the day and so a single draw is only marginally useful as a snapshot (as in it could be 15+ pts higher at another point in the day, or lower). I am pretty convinced that my body managed to ovulate from both sides, although I know that does not necessarily mean there are two healthy babies in there. The hCG numbers do line up much more nicely with the twin pregnancies at www.betabase.info, with 86% of single pregnancies at 13dpo having lower numbers, and 96% of single pregnancies at 15dpo having lower numbers, but I know I could be out of the norm. But that paired with the near certainty of dual ovulation does have me imagining seeing that ultrasound screen in two weeks with two sacs looking back at me. The irony would be that we always said we would have 5 kids before having our first, then backed off to 3, and then to 4.

I do believe strongly in reincarnation, and so I believe that whoever is with me has been drawn here by the pull of their energies to our family. And if there are two, that is beyond me to question, as is the case if there is one, or if no one stays around. Basically, it's none of my business! I can't be attached because what is happening is part of the path of that person's life. Does that make sense? I may be babbling now. I am so swimming in hormones.

Just for reference, I'm a medical researcher who spent a year in med school and I LOVE learning about this process, so I do get caught up in all the details even though at the basic level I am trusting of the bigger picture.

So am I totally wacko? Maybe! Only time will tell. I very much want the quick peak via ultrasound because it's important to me to know for certain if two lives visited me, to give myself permission to mourn if one should leave. I'm not okay with just seeing who pops out later, or relying only on my intuition side to tell me. Besides, the ultrasound will also be able to tell me for sure if I have a corpus luteum on both sides! I think that's the thing that's most itching at me, because it involves a message my body is giving me and I want validation for that interpretation. Whoever is there is a celebration regardless, and while I know it would be incredibly challenging, I also know we have are very fortunate to have a lot of support and we'd be okay managing twins.

Sigh. Sorry for the novel! I will come back and keep you posted. My ultrasound is 1/12. Your opinions, support, and general chattiness is most welcome.
#2 of 51 Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 PM

A big congrats on your new bean! Happy healthy 9 months to you! As you probably already know, betas really tell you nothing. The range of normal is exactly the same for singletons and for twins, although twins on average tend to be higher. Anything is possible but only an ultrasound will tell for sure. I wish you luck whatever the outcome!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#3 of 51 Old 12-29-2008, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool story! Thanks for all the background about the personal situation (sorry for your loss of your grandmother). I will definitely watch your thread for the results and will think of you over the next couple of weeks. :

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#4 of 51 Old 12-29-2008, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Lucia & Novella. I appreciate just the effort you took to read that essay! I'm wondering if anyone has felt anything like this both-sided corpus luteum thing before, or heard of anyone who had it? Maybe one of the hundreds of women in early pregnancy who suspect twins? I've yet to find a single person in all my looking who's talked about this . . . both sides ovulatory pains, yes, but not in the 2ww.
#5 of 51 Old 12-29-2008, 10:22 PM

Can't help you on the CL pain thing as I haven't experienced it on both sides (although I did feel it on one side last cycle, I think I had a cyst Ouch!)

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#6 of 51 Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 PM

I think I ovulated from both sides as well, I remember feeling pains on one side, then the other, and it was the most painful ovulation I've had! I usually barely even notice it, but this was bad enough for me to take Tylenol and go to bed.

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
#7 of 51 Old 12-30-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jayme,
Thank you for sharing that. Now that you mention it, I remember in addition to the back and forth each day sensations for 4 days, in the evening of my birthday (at my fancy birthday dinner with Dh!) I was in such pain I couldn't believe it! It was more general-crampy than focused in my ovaries, but it was so INTENSE, far more than any ovulation pain I've ever felt or even heard of. I definitely could have taken something for it. I thought I might be about to start AF, strangely. Then my temps shot up and I felt nothing else from down there until 6dpo when the corpus luteum tango started . . .

T-minus 13 days until ultrasound! I'm debating whether or not I should go ahead with a trip to NYC for the weekend before (Thurs-Sun). Could be very distracting, but I also might be a mess the whole time! What would you do to keep yourself sane? I like baths and deep breathing.
#8 of 51 Old 12-31-2008, 12:02 PM

I do not remember feeling double ovulation but I did have fertility signs on two different days, four days apart. In fact, that's how we caught both eggs! I thought we were 3 days past O and safe to have sex and woke the next morning to fresh egg white!

I suspected twins in pregnancies 3 and 4 so I can relate to the feeling crazy! Actually, I'm not convinced that we didn't have two in my fourth pregnancy but no u/s until 24 weeks. I think perhaps she had a vanishing twin. When I got pregnant this time and felt strongly I was having twins I kept talking myself out of it! I'd already suspected it twice before and came out with ONE baby in the end. I think, somehow, I've always known I was going to have two.
#9 of 51 Old 12-31-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Chantel,
Thank you for coming by and sharing your experience - that is really so helpful to hear you walked a similar path, especially about thinking there were twins and there weren't. I think you may be right about your intuition. And, given that "we" know that around 1 in 8 pregnancies begin as twins, it's not all that unreasonable. It sounds like you had the other kind of double ovulation, which occurs when a second egg is allowed to release a little later on in the same cycle. The super-intense-crampy-kind all at once I think is when both release at once. I imagine my fallopian tubes and then uterus all had a brief freak out in response! I was thinking mine may have been like you're describing, but now that I reflect on it more and hear more of others' experiences, I think I fall into the "gearing up and down for days, then BAM releasing them all" category. Maybe that's more likely to happen for those who aren't necessarily hereditarily releasing two eggs per cycle? It does mean I know pretty exactly to the minute when I conceived, though, which puts my blood draws at 12dpo and 14dpo instead of 13dpo and 15dpo. Now THAT'S interesting!

I am going to NYC, I decided. That will be excellent distraction before the ultrasound and it's been something I've wanted to do for the last 6 months. Now to figure out the car seat situation for my 10 month old . . . cabs or subway? Anyone?
#10 of 51 Old 01-01-2009, 03:19 PM

I felt myself ovulate from both sides the cycle I conceived my twins. I was also taking clomid at the time, so I knew that there was a good chance of double ovulation. When I felt the ovulation pain on both sides, I was sure that we'd have twins.

My beta at 14 dpo was 405, and for me that was proof enough that I was pregnant with two babies. But we didn't get confirmation until the 6 week u/s.

Good luck to you if you do have twins! I can't imagine having twins be #4 and #5 (with a one-year-old to boot! .

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#11 of 51 Old 01-01-2009, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hi lexbeach,
Wow, now THAT'S interesting Your beta of 405 at 14dpo is pretty close to my 482 on 14.5dpo (that's what I'm calling it now since I know to the minute when I ovulated and my blood work was in the morning whereas my ovulation was in the evening). I've been thinking that as far as interpretation of beta numbers I'm much more like the women who've done infertility treatments since:

a) I know for certain the day/hour I ovulated
b) I know for certain that at least two eggs released

And my reading from their experiences confirms what you just said - that a beta number like mine, doubling so quickly, is a very clear indicator that more than one at least started out vigorously.

So how did you survive the wait until the ultrasound? Were you pretty calm about it since you just knew? I guess maybe I'll settle into the idea and get some peace about it. Some days are better than others. I just can't wait to see that screen and breathe a huge sigh. Whatever their health, which of course I hope is good, I just want to see them and confirm this.
#12 of 51 Old 01-01-2009, 04:07 PM

I think I was a little oddly calm about it all, though I'm sure I was counting down the days as well! I remember catching myself telling a stranger that I was pregnant with twins, and then realizing, "what if I'm NOT?"

When it came time for the u/s, at first only one baby appeared on the screen. I said, "where's the other one?!" and the u/s tech moved the wand, and the second baby appeared.

My twins are--at this moment--fighting over the last banana in the house, and I'm having a hard time remembering how it felt to be so excited about having twins. But I know that I was very happy to be having twins at the time!

Lex

ETA: my betas for my second pregnancy were also solidly in the twin range (237 at 13 dpo, 1037 at 16 dpo), but I was only pregnant with one baby. Again, I suspected twins, but not nearly as strongly as I had the first time. I was only mildly surprised when the 6 week u/s revealed just one baby even though I know I ovulated two eggs (due to pre-O u/s . . . no ovulation pain at all that time around) and I had all the same symptoms as with my twin pregnancy. It was also different the second time since I was terrified of having twins again, whereas they were quite welcome the first time.

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#13 of 51 Old 01-01-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

BTW, I'm sure the reality of how challenging having twins actually *in* our daily lives would hit me after the ultrasound shows them (if that does happen). For now I'm trying to have just one freak out at a time! I am very fortunate that I have an unusually strong support system. My Dh is an excellent SAHD, I work from home 50% of the time, my mother is retired and would live with us to help, and I live in cohousing where I have 60 neighbors willing to do whatever they can to help. I know we would be okay. And, although I know it's not the same thing, we did juggle a 12 month old exclusively nursing toddler and a newborn at the same time and we survived that. Their relationship is a beautiful thing and it was well worth the intensity of that first year, IMO.

Now, I do realize that having twin newborns after a possibly complicated birth along with an 18 month old and our 5 and 4 year olds would be somethin' else. My intention to allow the kids to self-wean may be shifted a bit to a cut-off for the older two by the end of the pregnancy . . . among other changes!
#14 of 51 Old 01-01-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Lexbeach,
We crossed posts. Interesting about the second pregnancy. Did you see a corpus luteum cyst on both ovaries for both pregnancies at the 6 week ultrasounds? I wonder if the other egg you saw developing pre-o actually never ovulated? Or maybe there's something to having the sensation of it that is important to the health of both eggs? So maybe the other embryo was already gone by the ultrasound? Makes you go hmmm. Did you have an ovulation pain for that cycle at all? Maybe it happened a day or so ahead and that explains the higher betas?

I can't help but ponder these things through. I'm a pregnancy detective
#15 of 51 Old 01-01-2009, 05:58 PM

We use donor sperm and intrauterine insemination (IUI) to conceive (hence the pre-O u/s for timing purposes). Both of the follicles were in one ovary the second time, and I'm fairly confident that they both released eggs since I had an HCG trigger shot to make me ovulate. I'm sure about the timing of the betas being 13 dpo and 16 dpo. I don't think there was a vanishing twin . . . but I guess I'll never really know .

I was totally obsessive about it all at the time too!

Lex

#16 of 51 Old 01-01-2009, 11:41 PM

You can do it. Sans complicated birth, I had twins with a 1 year old, 3 year old, 4 year old, and 6 year old hanging around. Crazy and chaotic, but totally doable!
#17 of 51 Old 01-02-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
I do not remember feeling double ovulation but I did have fertility signs on two different days, four days apart. In fact, that's how we caught both eggs! I thought we were 3 days past O and safe to have sex and woke the next morning to fresh egg white!

I suspected twins in pregnancies 3 and 4 so I can relate to the feeling crazy! Actually, I'm not convinced that we didn't have two in my fourth pregnancy but no u/s until 24 weeks. I think perhaps she had a vanishing twin. When I got pregnant this time and felt strongly I was having twins I kept talking myself out of it! I'd already suspected it twice before and came out with ONE baby in the end. I think, somehow, I've always known I was going to have two.
You know, this is almost me and DH exactly. I think my second child might have been a twin, as by my charts I conceived him AFTER O was already gone (unless there was more than one...).

And this time around, we didn't have ultrasound, but we just "knew", though we ignored that feeling due to the "facts" until they surprised us at the birth....

Anyway, when we made these little guys, my DH says to me in the middle of it, "Gee, you seem unusually into it right now" since after O'ing I'm usually not, and I was a tad worried, but afterwards, next morning, Yeah....I was definitely thinking there was going to be a baby! That two week wait I knew wasn't going to be two weeks, more like 8 1/2 months!

Deb
#18 of 51 Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting you guys! So for those of you who had two different days of high fertility/ovulation signs, do you also have family history of fraternal twins? I'm just wondering if there's support for my theory about the genetic disposition for double ovulation versus the increased chances with older age, stress during ovulation, breastfeeding, ovulating after miscarriage, etc.
#19 of 51 Old 01-02-2009, 04:06 PM

My twins are all MZ so I can't speak to the double ovulation. But I can tell you that I had a very strong feeling that I was having twins the second time and I was right! I also suspected it in my second pregnancy (singleton) but never as strongly as I felt it with the twins.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#20 of 51 Old 01-02-2009, 08:28 PM

My cousin said this week when I was home for a funeral that there were two sets somewhere back in my Mom's Dad's side of the family. None for a LONG time though. I think it had more to do with a "super ovulation" because this was my first O after I had my daughter. I was 8 months pp when I concieved the twins.
#21 of 51 Old 01-03-2009, 03:46 AM

The cycle I conceived the twins in was the most odd for me. I had what I thought was ovulation. Then 5 days later had another jump in temperature and eggwhite mucus so we tried then too. And that was when the twins were conceived. It was just an all around wierd cycle.

ETA: But it wasn't double ovulation because mine are MZ

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#22 of 51 Old 01-05-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hi MamaRabbit,
How interesting, I wonder how the delayed or second ovulation affected the early split? I wish we knew more about this stuff. You can bet if it were men gestating we'd know a lot more!

Update on The Wait
So last week on Wednesday I had a big scare and I've been worried about the health of the pregnancy since then. This large dog in my neighborhood was off leash and really freaked me out by running towards me barking, then I had a little altercation with the owner. My heart was up in my throat for about an hour in all. I know development is very fragile at this stage and I guess I'm just more concerned since I've had a missed miscarriage before. Since then I've been feeling "less pregnant" whatever that means - lower nausea, fewer dizzy spells, less gassy, and fewer uterine stretching feelings. My temps have still been high, even though I stopped taking them for a few days I re-started this morning. I don't have any bleeding or real cramping. I looked up ectopic today and I've been pondering what's going on. Sigh. I usually am queasy from about 6-7weeks along and not much at that, and this time I felt it from around 4-5weeks and now pretty much nothing. Maybe I reached that peak of hCG that does that to me a little sooner and now I'm past it?

I'm sure I'm just getting all fidgety because of the wait. I so want to see two healthy heartbeats in there next week! I know even if there is one healthy baby and one who didn't make it I'll be alright, I'm just hoping to hit the jackpot. Worst case scenario of course would be no signs of a second with the first lost as well. I'm trying to prepare myself for all possibilities. It keeps popping into my mind that I'll walk out with three fingers up to show my mom the news, but that's probably just because that would TRULY be a surprise!

On Saturday my mom and I went to a spa for my birthday. I got a devine sea salt scrub under this 6-headed shower table thing. And, as I was chatting with the woman doing the service I told her I was in early pregnancy. She started to say something and I thought she was probably going to tell me about her pregnancy/kids. I mused briefly that it would be funny if she had twins, but dismissed that thought as ridiculous. Then later she said she has 6 month old fraternal twins! With no family history! She was such a sweetheart, I will definitely be back to see her during this pregnancy if I can afford it. Then I find out that the woman who did my mom's massage is a twin herself. Bizarre. I'm sure it's like when you're wanting to get pregnant and you start seeing pregnant women everywhere. I'm not one to really believe in those kinds of "signs" like a double-yolk egg at breakfast. But it is interesting, and I was happy to meet someone so kind who's recently been through a twin pregnancy and in babyhood in case I'm also on that path.

Well, on to NYC in 3 days and then the ultrasound will be just a heartbeat away from then. I'll probably be on radio silence until next Monday morning when I'm wringing my hands for the afternoon appointment.

Many thanks to all of you who've stopped by to offer your experiences and support. I truly appreciate it. It's a wild ride no matter your destination, eh?
#23 of 51 Old 01-05-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and MamaRabbit, I just love your UC twin birth story. My last birth was UC and I've been thinking that my next step would be a solo UC, but my mom has already made me promise I'd hire a midwife experienced in twin births if I'm carrying two. I might just have to pay her to sit in her car, though I watched a water homebirth of twins where they didn't cut the cords, which I would like to do since I loved my DD lotus birth, and it was a juggling act to keep the first baby on her while birthing the second. She appeared to need more than one set of hands! s I guess we'll just have to see what happens.
#24 of 51 Old 01-05-2009, 07:19 PM

Hennalady: I had just about zero symptoms in my fifth and sixth week of this pregnancy. My breasts, which had been sore, were back to normal. I wasn't yet having any kind of nausea. And really the only symptom of any sort I was having was cramps-- so not exactly reassuring. Having had a missed miscarriage before, also, I was completely paranoid. But I ended up seeing two heartbeats at my first u/s in the 6th week-- and as of today I'm about 21 weeks pregnant with two boys. I know how scary loss of symtpoms can be, but it's definitely not always a bad sign.
#25 of 51 Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
The cycle I conceived the twins in was the most odd for me. I had what I thought was ovulation. Then 5 days later had another jump in temperature and eggwhite mucus so we tried then too. And that was when the twins were conceived. It was just an all around wierd cycle.

ETA: But it wasn't double ovulation because mine are MZ
That was what happened with my second set of twins! We thought we were "in the clear" and then more fertile signs showed up 4 days later. Mine are MZ too!

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#26 of 51 Old 01-08-2009, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

MammaMolly: Thanks so much for that note. That was really comforting to read. Thankfully I had quite an upsurge in hormones later that same day and have been having trouble eating I've been so queasy! I know I'm a bit nervous about my trip to NYC leaving today, but it's definitely hormonal too.

Heather: Interesting! See, we might just figure this out for the scientists

Okay ladies, I just wanted to pop back in to let you know that I'm NYC bound in about 2.5 hours. I'm excited about the trip and I know it will make the time fly until Monday's ultrasound. I'll be doing pregnancy henna for my cousin who is due in early March. She's having a homebirth in her 10th floor cramped NYC apartment. How cool is that?

I'll be back over on Monday morning full of nerves and fidgeting I'm sure, unless I manage to sleep all morning or something
#27 of 51 Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Just back from the ultrasound. We saw one very healthy, robust baby measuring on for dates with a strong heartbeat and one very blurry tiny sac next to it with a possible fetal pole. We didn't even look for a heartbeat there, but I know I saw flutters within it. It was just so very small, even if there was a week's difference in their development stage it would be incredible for this smaller one to be healthy. Maybe a smaller sac is compressed by a larger one at this early of a stage? It's even possible it was even just a pooling of endometrium or something weird like that and not even another sac, but the doctor did think it was likely a second baby on his/her way out. I'm planning to go back in on Saturday to be sure of things, but for now I'm getting used to the idea that we will be a family of four children, not five. My ovaries were uncooperative on the corpus lutea front, showing really not much of anything on either side. I wish it were more conclusive, but the kids were all crying and upset since I just got home late last night from NYC and have been pretty emotionally unavailable since. It was hard to really look carefully and feel like it was conclusively explored. The doc was very kind about it though and invited me back on a Saturday without an appointment to check again when the kids aren't with me. I'm hoping that will be this Saturday.

Sigh.
#28 of 51 Old 01-12-2009, 05:49 PM

Hannah: did they measure the size of the 2 sacs? When I had my first u/s at 6w1d, we saw two sacs and each had a heartbeat. But one of the sacs looked like it was twice as big as the other. When the doctor eyeballed the 2nd sac, he said it was iffy-- gave it about a 50% chance. But when he actually measured the sacs it wasn't nearly as small as it looked. The bigger one was measuring 6w1d (so right on target), and the smaller one was amazingly only measuring three days behind that: 5w5d. But it looked so much smaller. I could tell the doctor was somewhat surprised by the measurment, even.

For various reasons I had weekly ultrasounds for the next 3-4 weeks. In all of those, the one sac looked much smaller, although by the 3rd appointment (at 8 weeks-ish) they didn't even bother measuring the sacs. They only measured the babies inside, which they said was a much more accurate measurement. And actually the baby in the smaller sac was the (slightly) larger of the two babies. (and continues to be so, if I'm right about which is which).

Also, one of my doctors told me that the ultrasound measurements and images early on always have a possibility of being somewhat misleading. These are just two-dimensional images, but the sacs and babies are obviously in 3 dimensions. The ultrasound is only showing and measuring one plane. So, if you're happening to see the smallest part of the sac and the baby is totally jutting out perpendicularly, that might not show up. (not sure if that explanation is correct).

Anyway, I'm not saying this to unduly get your hopes up. And it does sound like the most likely explanation is that this is a vanishing twin and it may be smaller at the next ultrasound. But I do not think, personally, that that's a foregone conclusion. These early ultrasounds are really hard to interpret and there's a chance of a surprise next week.

But I'm really glad that Baby A is looking so healthy-- and have my fingers crossed for Baby B. Good luck.
#29 of 51 Old 01-12-2009, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamamolly. That is helpful, although I'm feeling so drawn out now it's hard to even consider. It wouldn't be all that surprising to find that one or two of my children were being uncooperative Unfortunately the second sac was maybe 1/3 of the size of the other, with some blurry edges to it that made it hard to see. It was really tucked under the larger one, but obviously separate and different than the rest of the "landscape". I'm sure if she measured the sacs, which she didn't do for the primary one either, it would have been a 4.5 week size or something ridiculous. I do know that I was feeling ovulation signs starting early on a Monday morning and going until Thursday evening, although I thought they may have both erupted at the same time on that Thursday and the larger baby is measuring on for that date, not the earlier one. I wish we could have gotten a better view of what the doctor and I thought was the other fetal pole in that cramped little sac. Hopefully, if it's still around, we'll be better able to check that out on Saturday.
#30 of 51 Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 PM

HennaLady,

I've been lurking on this thread and waiting to see your u/s results.

My story, for what it's worth is as follows. My 6.5 week ultrasound showed 2 heatbeats and an "empty" sac. There was no sign of anything at all in the sac. The doctor's assessment was that I had already lost one.

At 10 weeks, we nearly missed the third baby as we were only looking for 2, but I now have 3 healthy 20-month olds chasing my eldest round the house, so I certainly hadn't lost that one.

One of my boys stopped growing early and was tiny at birth (and caused the whole lot to be 7 weeks early), and I assume that he was the babe we missed in the early u/s. You would never know that he was anything other than a small boy at the moment.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page