Mothering Forum banner

when did your babies "drop" vs when they were born

2K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  aja-belly 
#1 ·
so i woke up this morning with very sore hips and waddling like there was a bowling ball in my pelvis. i totally thought it may have been how i slept or my imagination until peter saw me and says "whoa - your belly got low!". i've had a tiny bit of spotting, too so i am wondering if it is from extra pressure on my cervix causing changes. i'm 30 weeks. the babies have been transverse the whole pregnancy this time, but they are definately in different positions today then they have been so maybe one of them went head down?

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeannaK View Post

My boys were both breech and now my baby presenting first, "A" is head down.
awesome! i would love to get a baby locked in head down, but at the same time i felt good about not having that pressure on my cervix yet. i'd rather have a ceserean at 40 weeks for transverse babies than a vaginal birth at 30 weeks....

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aja-belly View Post
awesome! i would love to get a baby locked in head down, but at the same time i felt good about not having that pressure on my cervix yet. i'd rather have a ceserean at 40 weeks for transverse babies than a vaginal birth at 30 weeks....
Well I hope you aren't going into labor now. And while my baby A is currently head down, I know things can change this early in the game.

#6 ·
Just to throw an odd experience out there, I clearly "dropped" at 32 weeks. Was worried that I was close to labor. But after a week or two the babies went back to riding high, and I had to prompt them to come out at 39 weeks with castor oil.

But I didn't have any spotting or unusual pains. As PP pointed out, definitely take it easy. But this doesn't necessarily mean labor's right around the corner. They're just getting lined up!

Best wishes!

#7 ·
thanks gals. i love having this board to ask stuff like this.

i'm taking it easy. nothing that feels like labor or anything - just low babies. i just went through my pregnancy journal from jet and he dropped like this at 35 weeks and wasn't born until 41 weeks. :)

#8 ·
Quote:

thanks gals. i love having this board to ask stuff like this.

i'm taking it easy. nothing that feels like labor or anything - just low babies. i just went through my pregnancy journal from jet and he dropped like this at 35 weeks and wasn't born until 41 weeks. :)
That's a really good sign -- mine was coupled with a lot of uterine irritability and contractions... it was also my first pregnancy and I have a divided uterus, so sounds like you have a much better shot at reaching full term. good luck!

#9 ·
My baby A was way down in there way early on. I had an u/s at 24 weeks and his head was down in there already at that point and stayed. He totally has a flat back of his head and I think it is from being engaged so early
: Anyway, I had that major pelvic pressure and pretty extreme pain in my pelvic bone for probably the last half of my pregnancy and went to 40w 3d. I hope you are like me and it means nothing!

#10 ·
I had breech/vertex with one on each hip and the breech slightly lower. Breech flipped to vertex and the already vertex baby dropped into place.... all at 37 weeks!

I remember though right around 30weeks is when I had a huge change in energy level and uterine activity. I was out shopping and had a couple of strong BH contrax that were probably the real thing as it was enough to take my breath away and make me grab onto something. So take it easy!

#11 ·
I remember though right around 30weeks is when I had a huge change in energy level and uterine activity. I was out shopping and had a couple of strong BH contrax that were probably the real thing as it was enough to take my breath away and make me grab onto something. So take it easy!

Yes, I had this too!! I actually think that looking back, weeks 30-33 were the most challenging for me. I was nervous about PROM and man, my BHs were tough! That's when I started opting for the motorized shopping cart vehicles in the stores. I was kind of embarassed, but not enough to walk.

#12 ·
aww, mama, from someone stung with prem labour that just took off sooooooo fast, i'd go get checked over. please! and take this as a BIG SIGN to really, really rest. no excuses. i had a show at 9ish and babes were with us by half one. contracs didn't register as baby having strength until half an hour or so before they arrived. spotting. no. good.

:

:

#13 ·
I carried fairly low the whole time, but around 25 weeks I met a lady who was a doula and said wow, you're so low I'd believe you were full-term with a singleton. At 27 weeks I was hospitalized in preterm labor and had babies at 29. I'd keep an eye out and maybe be extra-aware, and hope nothing happens!

#14 ·
well, at my appt yesterday it was confirmed that baby a is very low in my pelvis - butt down.
: i'm gonna see what i can do to get him flipped/dissengaged. our dr talked to me about breech delivery (which i don't think i'm cormfortable with) and about ceserean. he also gave the baby a stern talking to about getting flipped around if he knows what's good for him.

#15 ·

- just remember (in your rational mind, rather than normal pregnant mama worry
) that generally speaking breech is just SO not the big deal it's made out to be.
i would have my breech babies that way 100 times over rather than section birth.
and i'd still choose headfirst to get doctors off my back

so glad to hear you're still pregnant

#16 ·
Breech is simply a variation of normal. A c-section is not. If your doctor is skilled in breech births (mainly, he knows how to keep his hands off and encourage a good position for pushing baby out - upright is good) then I'd be all over that. You probably don't have a waterbirth option in the hospital but that's the most recommended way to birth a breech baby (in the water).

#18 ·
Well, better for the OB to be talking about breech delivery and the mama be uncertain than the other way around - that way at least you have a choice in the matter. I hope he flips so the point is moot.

#20 ·
No personal experience yet, but at my childbirth class on Monday, the instructor said that for first pregnancies, you almost always go into labor 4 weeks after the baby truly drops. For 2nd pregnancies, it can be totally different-- you can drop right before labor or drop really early. But in 1st time the drop initiates a bunch of cervical changes. Don't know how universal this truly is or not but she made it sound pretty uniform.

#21 ·
Quote:

well, at my appt yesterday it was confirmed that baby a is very low in my pelvis - butt down.
: i'm gonna see what i can do to get him flipped/dissengaged. our dr talked to me about breech delivery (which i don't think i'm cormfortable with) and about ceserean. he also gave the baby a stern talking to about getting flipped around if he knows what's good for him.

Well, my B baby has been breech for 7-8 weeks. The sub OB I had last week told me he wasn't likely to change. I went to the Chiro on Monday, (30 weeks, 3 Days along) He did the webster technique and showed me how I can do it myself and an exercise that helps lengthen the ligament. So I did the technique and exercise Mon afternoon and evening. On Tuesday morning I told my husband that the breech baby wasn't climbing my ribs all night.

Well guess what, at Tuesday's u/s he was head down! Right next to his brother.
I find it hard to believe that this was just all coincidence! Both babies are head down now and one is pretty well stuck low. They are both face up now, but hopefully they'll turn around.

Have you tried a chiro yet?

#22 ·
no i haven't been to the chiro yet - which i have no excuse for. there is a chiro that lives right by me - a fellow twin mom that said i could bring my kids along. i need to just make an appt and go over there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.