Homebirth -what gestational week safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 01-13-2009, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife is comfortable delivering our twins at home at any time after 36 weeks. I'm leaning towards 37 weeks.

Any thoughts on this? I'm being monitored very closely by both my midwife as well as an OB and monthly Perinatologist visits and u/s for growth. (over kill I'm sure, but it's making me more comfortable).

So far all is well. I'm 31 weeks 4 days and feeling fantastic.

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

#2 of 47 Old 01-13-2009, 06:20 PM

I would have done 36 weeks. I think there is a lot that can go into the decision including how close a hospital is, the situation you would be going into if transfering (who the doc would be, how the hospital is with hb transfers, etc.), how the mw feels about it, how you feel about it, etc. Hopefully you will carry them beyond that and not have to make that decision!
#3 of 47 Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahloughmiller View Post
Hopefully you will carry them beyond that and not have to make that decision!
That's the goal!

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

#4 of 47 Old 01-13-2009, 06:37 PM

My MW had originally said 36weeks, 6 days, and later (much later), said she would do 35 weeks. I, myself, had a 37 week goal. It was my first homebirth and I just wanted to feel as *secure* as possible. I think it can vary, and I really wanted to hit 37 weeks, as it seemed that my MW would have preferred it. In the end, I made it to 38 weeks, and my babies were not as big as the u/s said they were. The u/s was saying a little over 7lbs each and they ended up at 5lbs 14oz, and 6lbs 10oz. Though they were "small", they were incredibly healthy and nursed right away. In fact, they are crazy healthy to this day, only having had small sniffles up to this point (8mos).
#5 of 47 Old 01-13-2009, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In my fairly ignorant opinion, I'd be comfortable with 36 weeks too. An unmediated birth means more alert babes who are less likely to need resuscitation, and for whom I hear resuscitation is easier if needed. So, once born, the concerns would be temperature regulation and feeding. Both can be managed, or at least started at home. If you have a small baby with difficulties with temp. and feeding, you can transfer after the birth. Those are issues that aren't critically time dependent. It's the breathing to worry about, and 36 week twins that come spontaneously in their own time, without drugs, I'd think are going to be OK.

Funny, I should have researched that when prepping for my HB! I just took my MW's word for it when she said 36 weeks was fine. I think she would have done 35 weeks.

But I hope these are moot issues! Here's a link I post everywhere to a collection of stories about twin moms going full term. Lots of twin momma do it! Best wishes for keeping those babies "cooking!"

http://www.lookydaddy.com/weblog/200..._that_mos.html

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#6 of 47 Old 01-13-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena 22 View Post
Here's a link I post everywhere to a collection of stories about twin moms going full term. Lots of twin momma do it! Best wishes for keeping those babies "cooking!"

http://www.lookydaddy.com/weblog/200..._that_mos.html
I read that a few months ago as it was posted on another thread. I love it. I had to re-read the stories again today. I hope I can put my story up there too.

My goal is 38 weeks 3 days (March 1) But I say that now at 31w4d, fairly comfortable. But I must say I am pretty big. I'm 5' tall and measuring 42cm.

#7 of 47 Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 PM

March 1 is my older ds's b-day My goal was 40 weeks and I made it to 40w 3d and took castor oil to get things going!
#8 of 47 Old 01-13-2009, 10:53 PM

I was *terrified* that I wouldn't even make it to 36 weeks! But I would have homebirthed at 36 weeks. As it happened, I made it past 38 and it wasn't an issue.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#9 of 47 Old 01-13-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well you ladies are making me have even more confidence in my midwife. I guess if she's okay with 36 weeks than I'm okay with it.

Besides, I'm really hoping to make it to 38. Everything is going so well I just hope it continues this way. And since I'm all about positive thinking, I have no reason to believe it is going to go bad!

#10 of 47 Old 01-13-2009, 11:57 PM

My MW would assist my HB starting at 37 weeks, FWIW.

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#11 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 12:12 AM

My midwife was comfortable with 36 weeks and so was I.
#12 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 AM

My goal was to make it 36wk. We made it to 37w5d!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#13 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 AM

I've heard 36 weeks mentioned by a few friends that homebirthed twins--I'd be very leery of anything earlier than that, though. My 35w1d boys had a 10-day NICU stay for breathing/feeding issues.
Here's to baking them good and long, though!!!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#14 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 04:11 AM

Even though mine were born at almost 38 weeks one still had preemie issues with sucking, so really it could be 35 or 37 or 36 or 40 weeks.... every baby develops differently so every day in longer can have big and long-term benefits.

#15 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 05:34 AM

I'd be happy to have 36 weekers with support at home. My second was 36 weeks ( probably a little more like 35 weeks actually by my dates ) and he had b'feeding difficulty, but otherwise lovely
I was ok with giving him special care at home iyswim, so although hospital birth (no homebirth support) we came home asap afterwards and I'd drip by drip feed him pretty much around the clock.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#16 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaK View Post
I had to re-read the stories again today. I hope I can put my story up there too.

My goal is 38 weeks 3 days (March 1) But I say that now at 31w4d, fairly comfortable. But I must say I am pretty big. I'm 5' tall and measuring 42cm.
Glad you liked those! Comfortable at nearly 32 weeks is great. Likely that you won't get too much more uncomfortable at this point. March 1 sounds like a good goal, but St. Paddy's Day would be cool too . . .

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#17 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena 22 View Post
An unmediated birth means more alert babes who are less likely to need resuscitation, and for whom I hear resuscitation is easier if needed. So, once born, the concerns would be temperature regulation and feeding. Both can be managed, or at least started at home. If you have a small baby with difficulties with temp. and feeding, you can transfer after the birth. Those are issues that aren't critically time dependent. It's the breathing to worry about, and 36 week twins that come spontaneously in their own time, without drugs, I'd think are going to be OK.
This exactly. I'd prefer later than sooner of course but I absolutely would not have gone into the hospital if I had gone into labor at 36 weeks. My mw's minimum date was 36 weeks and I was fine with that. I felt comfortable that IF the babies needed more care, we could keep them stable at home and in transit w/o a problem. As it turned out, they came at 37w 4d and did great, although we did give baby B a little bit of oxygen after having trouble getting him to pink up on his own.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#18 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 PM

My midwife would assist me at home from 36 weeks with a singleton, and twins' lungs generally develop faster than singletons'.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#19 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences. Because I'm doing regular OB care along with my midwife care, the monitoring is going into overkill stage!

At today's OB appointment, my OB (who I really like) told me that because one of the twins is so much smaller than the other (estimated 10th percentile vs 66th percentile) that she wants me to do weekly NST now, starting today. So off I went to do that. While there they did a quick u/s to check positions, not to check sizes. The amazing thing is my bigger baby has cut in line! He has always presented himself as "B" and the smaller one "A" has always been closest to the exit. Well now that he isn't breech he's darn right pushy!

But this certainly is good news for me as a lot of people prefer the larger baby to exit first. Hopefully at my next u/s appointment on the 28th my "Lefty" baby will be growing well and we can continue with our home birth plans!

#20 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 PM

It's great to see a group of homebirthers here. Twins "risk" me out of homebirth, so I don't know what I'm gonna do. But I'm thinking creatively!

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#21 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 10:27 PM

I'm happy to see you bold "estimated" as whether twin or singleton U/S measurement can be quite off. I had a doula client decide on C/S at 33 weeks because they were measuring more than 30% difference (her OB's freakout rule) and of course when born they were luckily good weights and the SAME EXACT WEIGHT.

#22 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm pretty realistic about the u/s weights and how they are only an estimate. I was actually surprised that the u/s tech and the Perinatologist mentioned to me that the numbers could be skewed because the larger baby was measuring very large in the abdomen and since that is such a large portion that is considered for the weight estimate, that it might throw things off.

I was also impressed that the u/s tech measured it at least 3 times, probably 4 times and at different angles. He even went back after we were done with the other baby and measured it again a time or two. He said it wasn't abnormal in size and that all the internal parts looked great, but he was surprised that it was so large.

Also, the smaller baby was measuring longer (arm and legs) the previous month, but still less heavy. Now he is measuring smaller in both length and weight. Hopefully the left side baby will continue to grow at a good rate, regardless of how big his brother will be. I don't care about the size discrepancy as much as his individual growth progressing.

Sorry for the novel!

#23 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labortrials View Post
It's great to see a group of homebirthers here. Twins "risk" me out of homebirth, so I don't know what I'm gonna do. But I'm thinking creatively!
If you really want to do a hb I would keep researching and searching for someone who will attend. Twins risked me out too but I still got a hb in the end after lots of searching around to find someone willing to do it (who we ended up not calling since it happened so fast and my original mw who had told me no did end up being here). If you are persistent it can happen!
#24 of 47 Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 PM

Deanna, I forget, do they share a placenta?

That is great they are not too worried about it and admit that the measurements can be way off.
#25 of 47 Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Nope, they do not share a placenta. One is anterior, the other posterior. Both placentas look awesome and the blood flow is perfect according to the doc's gadgets!

#26 of 47 Old 01-15-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaK View Post
Hopefully the left side baby will continue to grow at a good rate, regardless of how big his brother will be. I don't care about the size discrepancy as much as his individual growth progressing.
Maybe you should sleep on your right side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahloughmiller View Post
If you really want to do a hb I would keep researching and searching for someone who will attend. Twins risked me out too but I still got a hb in the end after lots of searching around to find someone willing to do it (who we ended up not calling since it happened so fast and my original mw who had told me no did end up being here). If you are persistent it can happen!
Ok, thanks for the encouragement. There are a few folks I can ask. "My" midwife is out of the country right now, but I'm going to see if there's any way we can work together even if I'd need to transfer to push them out. Wish my insurance covered HB. :

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#27 of 47 Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 PM

My mw said that she'd feel comfortable with me birthing the boys at home from 36 weeks on... My boys were born at 39w on the dot, so thankfully it wasn't an issue. Just a curious side note: are you guys splitting up who catches the babies? I caught our first twin, then my husband and i caught our second twin.

SAHM to 2 year olds Tesla and Lucius. twins.gif
#28 of 47 Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilish_fetish View Post
Just a curious side note: are you guys splitting up who catches the babies? I caught our first twin, then my husband and i caught our second twin.
I haven't even thought of that! Good question and something I need to talk to hubby and the midwife about. I suppose it will depend mostly on where I give birth, tub or floor or bed, etc.

#29 of 47 Old 01-15-2009, 11:01 PM

Before the birth DH had said he wanted to catch a baby because he didn't with the first two (he was helping support me in a squat). I said OK but was secretly a little disappointed because I wanted to catch a baby because I hadn't caught my first two. It ended up much better with both of us catching together considering I was standing up over the toilet and needed an extra hand or two.

Here's a pic that shows both catching twin B (and she's born in the caul)

#30 of 47 Old 01-16-2009, 12:25 AM

That is such a cool pic! And so goopy My baby a was born in the caul but it was really dark in the house and I was in the tub so I didn't really get to see it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page