Hooking Umbrella Strollers to make a Double STroller - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-14-2009, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried this? How did it work? I have 3 y.o. twins who are small -- about 27 1/2 and 28 1/2 pounds. I need it for traveling around museums, airport, etc. Thoughts? Experience?
#2 of 8 Old 01-14-2009, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I looked into this when I had my second. We have 2 maclaren singles. However it would have made a very wide buggy. The seats of the single buggy are already wider than the seats of the double, plus there is a gap between the two singles.

In the end we went with a cheep used double, since I could only just fit that through doors I'm glad I didn't end up with anything wider.
#3 of 8 Old 01-14-2009, 09:59 AM

We looked into this and the PP is correct. It makes for one very wide stroller. Could you possibly find a cheap tandem stroller? We see them at garage sales all the time. Obviously not garage sale season in our area but maybe a thrift store or local thrift type newspaper?
#4 of 8 Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 AM

We did this when we flew when the girls were 18 months old (and probably about 22 pounds) and we weren't going to need a stroller at our destination and didn't want to risk our Peg Perego. It worked OK for that short trip but was not very easy to steer and push. I would not recommend it for regular use, and definitely not with kids the size of yours. Try Craigslist - mine always has double strollers pretty cheap.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#5 of 8 Old 01-15-2009, 03:31 AM

I do this, or rather I hook a single jeep umbrella to our double. It's wide (the double barely fits through doors and the things to attach two together make it wider). The wheels get caught on one another if you try to back up. The strollers don't stay parallel to each other and they often go one in front of the other making it hard to push. I think in a pinch it's ok but it's not a great solution. I would get a cheap double. I paid $80 new for my jeep double and I love it, it's perfect. I'm sure you could get one for cheaper used.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#6 of 8 Old 01-15-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Cat View Post
Has anyone tried this? How did it work? I have 3 y.o. twins who are small -- about 27 1/2 and 28 1/2 pounds. I need it for traveling around museums, airport, etc. Thoughts? Experience?
We did this for a trip last summer, when the twins weren't quite 2 yet. It worked great for us. Yeah, it can be pretty wide, but we only ran into a few places that it was a problem. We needed something that would fold up really small. I liked that it gave us options. When we wanted to, we could use them singly. You do have to watch when you take them apart to make sure you don't lose any of the pieces. I still prefer either my front/back double or my bike trailer/stroller combo for at home but when you need to save space and money, this worked out great for us.
#7 of 8 Old 01-15-2009, 11:15 PM

fyrebloom, the jeep double was the only double stroller we could find over here. imported so it cost a lot more, but we were desparate. and i love it! it's a great umbrella stroller and we use it everywhere. I was about to hook 2 together but knew it would end up being a huge hassle.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#8 of 8 Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 PM

i do this when i have a friend's baby. it's a real pain. it doesn't fit through doorways, down the street etc, the wheels catch each other, it's heavy. it does us for trips round the park but not much else. i would get an umbrella double stroller - i think mclaren do one - for cheap cheap if i were you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page