Mothering Forum banner

Questions about sac bags during the labor

14K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  jasper28 
#1 ·
From my experience when I gave my birth to my daughter, I had to continue pushing to get the sac bag out.

I'm just wondering with the twins, when the first baby come out, then will I be pushing the sac bag out, then the baby two comes out then the sac bag again?

Probably a stupid question but I've been wondering about that for a while.

See less See more
#2 ·
Baby A, water broke with a flood, at home about an hour into labour. Baby A born about 2.5 hours after that. Not sure where the remnants of the broken amniotic sac were. Didn't see it. No one discussed it. Never even thought about that until I read your post. Maybe it remained in the uterus until it was delivered with the placenta?

Baby B. Born in the caul. He broke the amniotic sac by moving his arms as he lay between my legs.

Single placenta delivered spontaneously after that.

So maybe I was "Baby 1, Baby 2 with sac 2, sac 1"?

#4 ·
My twins are DZ and had a fused placenta. Baby A's water broke at the onset of labor - he was born less than an hour later. Then I labored with Baby B for another 2 1/2 hours. His BOW broke spontaneously shortly before I pushed him out. After they were both born (I'm going to say 10-15 minutes later), their big 'ol fused placentas came out in one big lump. The amniotic sac remained attached to each placenta - is that what you were asking about or did you mean the placentas themselves? I remember wondering how that would work too (would Baby A's placenta come out before or after Baby B's birth). I actually have a picture of their fused placenta in which you can see their sacs if you want to see.

Fused placentas
Baby A's placenta & sac
Baby B's placenta & sac

#5 ·
My baby A came out in the caul (sac not broken) and my baby B's sac was attached to his placenta (he had a valementous cord insertion) so came out with his placenta which came right out when I stood up to get out of the pool after his birth. Baby A's placenta did not come out for about two hours after their birth.

#6 ·
I'm not sure about the sac bag per se, but I was just wondering about this regarding the placenta and asked at my birthing class. She said that it can happen either way (baby placenta baby placenta-- or-- baby baby placenta placenta) (assuming two separate placentas), but that it's more common to have it the latter way-- both babies are out and then the placentas come. She said it's because once baby A is out Baby B takes up much more mass and space than baby A's placenta, thus blocking it. She said neither pattern was a cause of worry generally, though.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
My twins are DZ and had a fused placenta. Baby A's water broke at the onset of labor - he was born less than an hour later. Then I labored with Baby B for another 2 1/2 hours. His BOW broke spontaneously shortly before I pushed him out. After they were both born (I'm going to say 10-15 minutes later), their big 'ol fused placentas came out in one big lump. The amniotic sac remained attached to each placenta - is that what you were asking about or did you mean the placentas themselves? I remember wondering how that would work too (would Baby A's placenta come out before or after Baby B's birth). I actually have a picture of their fused placenta in which you can see their sacs if you want to see.

Fused placentas
Baby A's placenta & sac
Baby B's placenta & sac
Wow I never got a chance to see what the placenta sac looked like and it was actually so gross but interesting to see the baby A's sac and then the baby B's sac!

Thanks for answering my question.

#8 ·
I guess I have never really thought this all through before. Amniotic sacs are attached to the placenta as in those pics posted by 2+twins, that is how my 1st was and how my my 2nd twins was but my baby A was born with his sac in tact and had to be broken after his birth. How does that work? Does it just seperate somehow from the placenta?

I think it is pretty rare for baby A to come out and then a placenta and then baby B to come out. With mine my baby B's placenta actually came out 1st and then Baby A's came two hours later.

#9 ·
Sarah, I would guess that there was still sac connected to your baby A's placenta - the part that was behind his feet. Maybe not much was left b/c of the AROM post-birth but I'd think *some* of it still would be.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
I actually have a picture of their fused placenta in which you can see their sacs if you want to see.

Fused placentas
Baby A's placenta & sac
Baby B's placenta & sac
The pictures rock. Thanks for sharing. I'm sort of a placenta junkie

My grandfather was a vet and I loved to examine the horse placentas and have him explain what I was seeing when I was a kid. I also always try to check out the placentas that my ewe's pass after they lamb.

#12 ·
For all you placenta fans...

Mono/di placenta from my girls:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...9/DSC01635.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...9/april045.jpg

And I've never shared these with anyone before. But here are the mono/di placenta pics from my boys. You can see that there was almost nothing between the 2 cord inserts and Baby B's cord is very thin and not as well connected.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...sep08214-1.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...9/sep08212.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...9/sep08211.jpg

#14 ·
Actually, my twins switched places at birth. There was a bulging bag of waters, with the head directly behind, felt by the midwife. The water broke, and several minutes later I birthed the other twin IN HER BAG OF WATERS....then the cord prolapsed from the second twin, whose water had already broken, and I pushed him out.

The placentas were fused next to each other, as well, and I pushed them out together minutes later (and it was much harder than the other placentas I delivered for my singleton births!)

Deb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.