how far ahead were you measuring in weeks 20-30? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm with mamatoady... I'm suspecting twins (had a dream, am huge etc).

I had super high hcg early on (991 16dpo, 5200 19dpo, 18000 21dpo). I had an early u/s to rule out the possibility (at 9 weeks) but it was only a quicky and my m/w said its perfectly plausable to miss a 2nd baby at that stage if they didn't look around much.

So, at my appt with m/w last week (22 weeks) I was measuring 24-25 and baby (that we could feel) was transverse. I had also read that when they lay transverse that it makes your fundal ht lower because they're not end-to-end so to speak. I know that's not much bigger than the norm for where I am, but she actually told me that most twins don't really start showing themselves until after 20 weeks. I could just wait until I see her next month, but I think I'll drive myself crazy before then!

But, if you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd love to know where your fundal height was measuring during your weeks 20-30. My m/w told me its really only during those weeks even with a singleton that fundal ht is a reliable measurement.

Thanks so much!
Sadie
#2 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yay-- we can sit and wait together, lol! how far along are you?

sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#3 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 AM

By 20 weeks I was measuring 5 weeks larger. It ranged from 5-7 weeks larger from 20-30 weeks.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#4 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 AM

At my 16 week appointment I was measuring 20 weeks. They sent me to the ultrasound and I found out I was having twins. I hadn't had any ultrasound before that and didn't suspect I was having twins at all, though my friend had had a dream about me having twins. I don't think you sound big enough, I was always measuring at least 4 weeks bigger the whole pregnancy.
#5 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 11:33 AM

I've measured 8-10 weeks ahead nearly this entire pregnancy. And one baby was transverse and the other breech at my 22 week u/s.

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

#6 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 12:27 PM

I measured about 6+cm ahead. Baby A was vertex and baby B was breech-transverse.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#7 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 12:50 PM

Another vote for "2 weeks isn't that far ahead and is within normal bounds for a singleton pregnancy."

I was at least 4 weeks ahead before 20 weeks. And both my babies were transverse. Does your mw have much twin experience? What she's saying is true of singletons (it's not the best measure until the baby's bigger) but frankly being way far ahead is often a marker for twins. Also, the 'can't tell twins before 20 weeks' seems kind of off to me.

By 30 weeks, people had been asking for a couple of weeks if I was due soon. By 32 weeks people just shut up or stared open mouthed.

While it's true that twins are OFTEN missed on an early u/s, you say the purpose of the u/s was to rule it out. Generally when they want to do that, they are looking closely. (It doesn't necessarily take long, especially at that stage).

If you really want to know, I'd get an u/s or a second opinion. There's no way an u/s would fail to detect twins at this stage unless you have an extremely incompetant tech (which could happen). If your mw is not experienced with twins, perhaps she knows someone who is who could give you a second opinion?
#8 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 01:34 PM

Most of my pregnancy I measured 11 weeks ahead but got up to 14 weeks ahead in the last weeks.
#9 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 01:38 PM

At 28 wks I was measuring about 34
#10 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 01:42 PM

At 31 weeks I was measuring 45 cm.

I get measured again today, should be interesting to see if I've grown since last week.

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

#11 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Wow ladies! Thanks so much for all the responses!

Sarah-I'm 23.5 weeks.

I was measuring a decent amount ahead all the way up until now, fundus almost at my belly button from 14.5 weeks on. Its a little closer now, which seems opposite to me of what it "should" be if there were 2.

I also wanted to add that I got pregnant this time on my first cycle after a m/c which I know can cause hormones to be whacky and release more than one egg...

And I had a twin dream in early pregnancy, and I just can't seem to "let it go" which kindof makes me think I'm on to something but my rational mind is just trying to "reason" it away.

My early u/s was just by a m/w I was interviewing and was really quick. I don't think she had much experience with u/s either. They just put it on, saw a baby, measured it, and then I told them to turn it off. So, if I had had it done at an imaging center then I'm sure it would have been much more thourough and definitive.

I emailed my m/w last night (different from the one who did the u/s) and just told her that she better put me out of my misery and order the damn u/s because I'm making myself crazy!

Tigerchild: The reason she said fundal ht isn't too reliable until after 20 weeks is that its normal to measure several cm ahead with a singleton too, which I was. Its so hard to "know" without proof because so many of the symptoms overlap!

Again, thanks for your responses! I'm going to cave in and have the u/s, so I'll let you all know!

Sadie
#12 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Many singletons were twins once. I think that sometimes people discount that with twin dreams or 'feelings', when they find that they were "incorrect". It may not in fact be incorrect, even if the end result is one baby.
#13 of 30 Old 01-20-2009, 10:54 PM

At 20 weeks I think I was measuring around 26 cm, and at 30 weeks, I was measuring around 40 cm.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#14 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 01:20 AM

6-8w ahead. I don't think measuring 2w ahead is a sign of twins.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#15 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 09:54 AM

From when they started measuring me, I was always at least 8 cm ahead. By the end of the pregnancy, I was measuring 13 cm ahead.

My best friend had surprise twins (at birth, 10 days "overdue"), and she never measured big. It's certainly possible, but less likely.

I think it's unlikely that they missed a second baby on your first u/s, even if it wasn't an expert u/s tech. Of course, there's always the possibility, but it's quite small.

By 24 weeks in my twin pregnancy, I thought that if I hadn't already known I was having twins, I would definitely be suspicious just by the type of movement I was feeling. Simultaneous movement way low and way high, feeling movement in four places all at once, etc.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#16 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
At 20 weeks I measured 30 cm; at 28 weeks I measured 38. The day I delivered, at 39 weeks, I measured 52 cm.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#17 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 01:28 PM

I agree that measuring 2 weeks ahead doesn't necessarily means twins, for sure. I've known singleton moms to measure much more than that ahead. That said, I've been measuring between 2 and 4 weeks ahead, never more, and am currently 23 weeks pregnant with twins. So, it doesn't mean "not twins" either.
#18 of 30 Old 01-21-2009, 04:08 PM

I was between 2-4 weeks ahead the entire pregnancy. Fwiw, I had an early-ish u/s at 9 or 10 weeks and baby B was "missed", not to be found until 14w. MDC Gemelos had the same experience. Best wishes, either way!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#19 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 AM

By 26 weeks and on, I measured 10 weeks ahead.
#20 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 AM

I started measuring large at 18 weeks. I measured 27 weeks..

Shawna!! DH Kevin, DD Kaelen (12) DS Drew (10), Sam and Jocelyn 11 months and TTC!!
#21 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 PM

I think I was about 10 weeks ahead at that point. Two weeks sounds like normal variation in a singleton pregnancy. I hope your u/s shows you what you want to see!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#22 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 12:21 PM

I checked back on my notes and I measured 10 weeks ahead by that point too. I also noted that I consistently measured 4 weeks ahead with my prior singleton.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#23 of 30 Old 01-22-2009, 12:37 PM

I was way ahead in the first trimester but then on par/ slightly under for a singleton by 31 weeks. I tend to measure significantly under with my singletons, so I was ahead for me.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#24 of 30 Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 AM

By 28 weeks I had reached the desired size of a singleton pregnancy, and then I went on to the grow to someone expecting twins. I didn't have the exact measurements given but was told I was always on target.

~Patricia~, wife to D, mom to V:, mummy to S/C : , ::. Learning how to be a GREAT mom to my autistic twins and loving it!
#25 of 30 Old 01-26-2009, 02:18 AM

Wow! Thank you for sharing your birth videos and pics. Such a beautiful family!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyc View Post
At 20 weeks I think I was measuring around 26 cm, and at 30 weeks, I was measuring around 40 cm.

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#26 of 30 Old 05-17-2009, 08:11 PM

Hi...
I am currently 30 weeks and am measuring 45 cm. I had an ultrasound at 28 weeks to rule out twins, and they only saw one baby. At 28 weeks, I was measuring 42 cm.... so I keep on getting bigger. There isn't excessive fluid either. My babies tend to be on the larger side, which this one is too, I guess, but when I am used to haveing 10 lb babies, does this mean this one will be 20?? LOL. I too keep feeling like I have twins, and have the whole time. Could one have been hiding behind the other??? There is no explination for my size, and the baby they saw looked fine and healthy... Praise God! I am so confussed, and though I try not to worry or think about it, I cannot help it. We just cannot understand what is happening here. Is this familiar to anyone? Is 8 the magic number to make my uterus blow up like this?
#27 of 30 Old 05-17-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommato7 View Post
Is 8 the magic number to make my uterus blow up like this?
This is your eighth baby? I definitely think that could explain things! Especially if you don't have excess fluid, my guess is that you are measuring so big simply because your abdominal muscles probably aren't doing much to keep your uterus in place.

With my second (post-twins) singleton pregnancy, I measured just about the same size as I did with twins (51 cm. at 40 weeks, as opposed to 53 at 38 weeks with twins) and it was due to a combination of a large baby (10-10 at birth), excess fluid (no apparent cause), and a stretched-out uterus/relaxed abdominal muscles.

I think it would be incredibly unlikely that they would miss twins during a 28-week u/s specifically looking for twins. Twins have certainly been missed on u/s before, but generally NOT when they were suspected.

Congrats on baby #8!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#28 of 30 Old 05-17-2009, 09:36 PM

I mean, you hear about such things happening occasionally but I would be VERY shocked if a competent tech missed 28 week twins, honestly. There was NO WAY to miss we had two babies in there, and mine were stacked one behind the other (it was nearly impossible to get Baby B's HR).

I agree with Lex, that it's mostly because you have had a lot of babies. With #'s 3 and 4 I measured pretty far ahead and had an u/s to rule it out. Like 6-7 weeks ahead. With the twins I was anywhere from 8-11 weeks ahead and finished at 50cm at 38 weeks. I had had four babies in four years though when I got pregnant with the twins so I did MASSIVE ab work during my first trimester!
#29 of 30 Old 05-30-2009, 07:37 PM

Around 18 weeks I measured 23 weeks with DS1. Sent for an ultrasound to rule out twins. 18 weeks with DS2 I was in the ER for bleeding/contractions, measuring 24 weeks, had an ultrasound, another singleton. When I measured 24.5 weeks at 17.5 weeks with this pregnancy, I thought nothing at all of it, but my midwife encouraged another ultrasound. Twins. Go figure. At 22 weeks I measured 32 weeks, and they're both transverse.

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#30 of 30 Old 05-30-2009, 09:42 PM

I was measuring 42 weeks when I delivered early at 30 weeks.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page