Updates on the "I think I'm having twins" mamas? - Mothering Forums
Parenting Multiples > Updates on the "I think I'm having twins" mamas?
DoomaYula's Avatar DoomaYula 04:38 PM 01-21-2009
I've read all the "I think I'm having twins" posts -- who has found out yet?

mamatoady's Avatar mamatoady 05:52 PM 01-21-2009
Well here's my update...I don't know anything yet

I did have an appointment with my midwife yesterday and it took some poking and prodding, but she did get a heartbeat. I'm really starting to lose it. I KNEW I implanted on my left side which is exactly where she found the heartbeat, I have been crazy in-tune with my body. Well, I'm still feeling a very strong twin vibe.

My midwife said my uterus is where it is supposed to be, but here's my beef. She was so lightly pressing on my super flabby belly, honestly I don't know how she found my uterus to begin with. So, I'm not totally convinced she found the top of my uterus. I trust her, I really do, but I swear to God I have felt flutterings down and to the left of my belly button and also down lower toward my pubic bone...of course I don't tell anyone this because I know they won't believe me. I just feel like I feel a lot more going on quite a bit higher than she was thinking my uterus went. I want to get an ultrasound on Friday, but I feel like I did hear the heartbeat and to get an ultrasound right now is just not a good reason.

I am almost 12 weeks, would an hcg test say anything at this point? Is there a more clear distinction between twin and singleton pregnancies with hcg at 12 weeks?

sarah
Sadie Lake's Avatar Sadie Lake 07:02 PM 01-21-2009
I emailed my m/w yesterday and told her to go ahead and order me the u/s, since I'm making myself crazy.

But, I'm assuming I won't get in until next week, so I'll definitely post and let you all know then!

Sadie
mamamolly1's Avatar mamamolly1 07:33 PM 01-21-2009
mamatoday: I don't think an hcg test would tell you much at this point. No matter what you get, there's too much room for interpretation. Only an ultrasound will really tell you for sure. This is the perfect time to go for a 12-13 week NT scan if you wanted to do that-- which is typically on a high-res scanner-- if you wanted to know for sure.

Good luck, Sadie!
~bookcase~'s Avatar ~bookcase~ 07:36 PM 01-21-2009
it's also normally in time to find out if shared placenta/ sacs more easily.
mamatoady's Avatar mamatoady 07:39 PM 01-21-2009
what's an NT scan, is that the same as an ultrasound?

sarah
mamamolly1's Avatar mamamolly1 07:45 PM 01-21-2009
The NT scan is an ultrasound where they measure the nuchal fold-- the skin behind the baby's neck-- if the fold is over a certain size, that is a sign that the baby may have Down's Syndrome, or two other trisomies. It's usually combined with a blood test that looks at HCG levels and protein levels and a few other things. It's not definite-- it doesn't catch all cases, and it also catches a fair number of false positives. But it gives you a general odds of this problem. If it's going to be done, it's between 11 and 13 weeks. It used to be recommended for mothers over age 35, but now the official recommendation is to offer it to all mothers regardless of age. I was ambivalent on the actual diagnostic parts of the exam-- especially because with twins the blood test part can be misleading. But it was a chance to get a very nice ultrasound (they're usually done at a perinatologist's office or at a hospital ultrasound), and I know that it really helped my husband to connect with the pregnancy much more when he could see the babies-- they looked like real babies at that point (albeit alien babies). They also checked on the location of the placentas at that time and did general measurements of the baby.
Sadie Lake's Avatar Sadie Lake 09:38 PM 01-21-2009
Mamatoady, when the placenta takes over around 10-11 weeks, HCG starts to drop dramatically, so a Beta HCG test won't tell you anything informative at this point.

But an u/s probably will!

I got mine scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. Another week of wondering sounds excruciating, but I'll be glad to get in and see what's going on in there!

Good luck! Keep us posted! I'll do the same.

Sadie
mamatoady's Avatar mamatoady 09:42 PM 01-21-2009
I know I think I'm going to have my doctor add the OB ultrasound onto my gall bladder u/s set for friday. I wasn't going to, but I'm not waiting until 16 or possibly 20 weeks to know.

Sarah
lil_miss_understood's Avatar lil_miss_understood 10:15 PM 01-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Lake View Post
Mamatoady, when the placenta takes over around 10-11 weeks, HCG starts to drop dramatically, so a Beta HCG test won't tell you anything informative at this point.

But an u/s probably will!

I got mine scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. Another week of wondering sounds excruciating, but I'll be glad to get in and see what's going on in there!

Good luck! Keep us posted! I'll do the same.

Sadie
Did you post in your DDC to tell them your u/s date?
Sadie Lake's Avatar Sadie Lake 02:21 AM 01-22-2009
No I haven't... I didn't make the appt until this afternoon (I didn't plan on doing one at all).

But thanks for the reminder! I'll do that right now.

Sadie
lil_miss_understood's Avatar lil_miss_understood 02:30 AM 01-22-2009
Quote:
No I haven't... I didn't make the appt until this afternoon (I didn't plan on doing one at all).

But thanks for the reminder! I'll do that right now.

Sadie
Just so you know, I'm not stalking you. I stalk the "I think I'm having twins" threads b/c I have twinvy.
Sadie Lake's Avatar Sadie Lake 01:54 PM 01-22-2009
No worries! I actually like when threads are more like a conversation... as opposed to posting something and waiting a week for someone to post back. Especially when its something that's weighing on your mind, you know?!

I'm really thankful for all the input!

Sadie
mummytobe's Avatar mummytobe 01:52 PM 01-23-2009
Quote:
I have felt flutterings down and to the left of my belly button and also down lower toward my pubic bone...of course I don't tell anyone this because I know they won't believe me.
i have felt flutterings left hand side and just a little lower on the right side,and I have a felt a tight knot where I believe they are both implanted,yesterday I felt they had moved up a little.so I know what you mean to feel like that and not tell anyone cos they may not beieve you.I believe you .
mamatoady's Avatar mamatoady 02:10 PM 01-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytobe View Post
I believe you .
thank you!!!!!:
sarah
HotJabanero's Avatar HotJabanero 03:06 PM 01-26-2009
I was one who never updated. My symptoms were:
* movement at 9 wks
* fundal height of 18-19 cm at 10 wks (plus my previous pregnancy had I lost a twin @ 5/6 wks so I knew I could "twin")

Had an us @ 11 wks and it was 1 very normal sized baby. My uterus was huge but strangely stopped growing until I grew into it and has been normally growing since.
lil_miss_understood's Avatar lil_miss_understood 07:19 PM 01-27-2009
Bumping. Sadie!! Update!!
Sadie Lake's Avatar Sadie Lake 08:11 PM 01-27-2009
Well mamas, thank you so much for all your support, information and advice!

It turns out I'm just another paranoid mama using up your precious time. I'm only having one baby. I was so convinced there were two that I'm actually mourning the second baby that never was.

The other surprise though, is that this baby is a girl. I was SURE it was a boy. So sure infact, that I went out 2 weeks ago and bought a bunch of boy clothes. Needless to say, I'm in shock for more than one reason!

But, she's healthy and looks perfect! So, after I get over the shock of her being a girl, and somehow convince dd that she's a girl and not a boy (dd's ADAMANT that the baby is a boy), I'll be happy.

Sadie
lil_miss_understood's Avatar lil_miss_understood 08:16 PM 01-27-2009
Quote:
Well mamas, thank you so much for all your support, information and advice!

It turns out I'm just another paranoid mama using up your precious time. I'm only having one baby. I was so convinced there were two that I'm actually mourning the second baby that never was.

The other surprise though, is that this baby is a girl. I was SURE it was a boy. So sure infact, that I went out 2 weeks ago and bought a bunch of boy clothes. Needless to say, I'm in shock for more than one reason!

But, she's healthy and looks perfect! So, after I get over the shock of her being a girl, and somehow convince dd that she's a girl and not a boy (dd's ADAMANT that the baby is a boy), I'll be happy.

Sadie
I'm sorry. I understand the "mourning the baby that never was". I've been there.
Congrats on your healthy baby girl! :
2+twins's Avatar 2+twins 08:18 PM 01-27-2009
Sadie but also congrats on the healthy baby girl!
mamatoady's Avatar mamatoady 11:24 PM 02-05-2009
hi--just letting you all know that I changed my u/s date and it isn't until I'm 18 weeks (mar 2nd) so dh can come. I've had 2 more twin dreams, but in one, the second baby stopped growing at 7 weeks...of course, baby #1 had a heart rate of 94, so I hope that dream wasn't prophetic.

sarah
2mama's Avatar 2mama 02:04 AM 02-06-2009
Congrats..
mummytobe's Avatar mummytobe 10:29 AM 02-06-2009
congrats with your baby girl,sorry you are sad about the other twin ((((hugs))))).I hope you feel better soon...

my symptoms:

* movement very early in 2 places
* extremely tired
* huge hunger
* had gut feeling for a long time
* had twin dreams
* cant speak of one baby-feels wrong
* my son said it was twins very early on
* cant stop looking up things to do with twins.
* my friends are sure its twins too

::
mamatoady's Avatar mamatoady 08:18 PM 02-07-2009
did you guys get that my post was about a DREAM? Or are you responding to someone elses post?

sarah
MamaRabbit's Avatar MamaRabbit 05:34 AM 02-10-2009
I always find these threads interesting because 9 out of 10 times it's not twins. Please try not to get your hopes up. I'm sorry but so many of these "symptoms of twins" aren't symptoms at all, they're just suspicions. If you truly think it's twins get yourself checked out.

Yes I dreamed about twins and I was huge by 12 weeks, enough to want to get checked out and I was suspicious but I never really thought it was twins. And I wanted to make sure what was going on because a lot of other things can be happening in there other than twins.
Up