Feeling movement from one twin more than the other - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-24-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious - was it normal for you to feel more movement from one twin than the other? I have felt both move but they seem to move at separate times - and today I've only felt baby A move. I'm between 16-17 weeks, 4th pregnancy.
#2 of 23 Old 01-24-2009, 05:05 PM

YEP !

Both my babies had an anterior placenta. Because of the way dd was positioned, I felt her movements, but almost never felt ds. I was so psyched up to feel two babies moving inside me, but that never actually happened. Ds is quite the wiggler, we'd watch him kicking and groovin' on the ultrasounds, but I didn't feel him very often.

Denise, mama to ds1 (03/26/05) and boy/girl twins born 08/12/08
#3 of 23 Old 01-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Even though my baby ds was in one position my entire pregnancy I always felt him move more. Baby dd was in every position imaginable at some point or another but due to placenta position I didn't feel her move often. We could always see her moving around though which was weird to see the movements rather than feel them. Nearer the end of my pregnancy I could feel her a bit more.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#4 of 23 Old 01-24-2009, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It was pretty rare that I ever felt DD2 move, all through the pregnancy. Must have been position of the placenta. I worried about it a little, since DD1 was pretty active, but I think it's very normal.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#5 of 23 Old 01-24-2009, 07:19 PM

yep, i felt one of mine move more than the other, but i'm still not sure who it was! i thought it was the boy being more active, but after birth it seems my girl is the wriggler. i could differentiate two types of movement, but not for sure who it was. that bothered me at the time. i had a huge patch of no feeling too for ages where the placenta was.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#6 of 23 Old 01-24-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much! It is so reassuring to read each of your experiences! It is nice to know that other moms have experienced the same thing.

Both twins were very active in the ultrasound - so much so the tech was starting to get frustrated. I didn't think to ask the position of the placenta - but that would make sense it might be in front of Baby B!

Grateful for the quick replies!
jordana
#7 of 23 Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Haha.. during my ultrasound 2 days ago (on the 22nd) my daughter A constantly kick my daughter B's head and my daughter B would try to stop her sister's foot from hitting her head and would go back sucking her right thumb then would stop sucking and try to stop her sister hitting her head. While daughter B would just quietly suck her thumb and move a little bit.

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#8 of 23 Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM

I once (I think it was around 30 weeks?) had an ultrasound because I was *convinced* that I had only felt baby A move for a couple of days (and the doppler was inconclusive as to whether or not we were hearing two heartbeats or the same heartbeat in two places). The u/s showed that baby B had flipped to be more transverse, with his feet over on baby A's side . . . so I *had* been feeling him, I'd just been counting all of his movements as Baby A's movements. : It is a nerve-wracking thing to have two babies inside you! As the pregnancy progressed, however, it was easy to make each baby move by poking them and I didn't worry so much about who I was/wasn't feeling (I was feeling *plenty*).

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#9 of 23 Old 01-24-2009, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanac View Post
Just curious - was it normal for you to feel more movement from one twin than the other? I have felt both move but they seem to move at separate times - and today I've only felt baby A move. I'm between 16-17 weeks, 4th pregnancy.
Yes, I felt one much more than the other throughout the pregnancy.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#10 of 23 Old 01-25-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanac View Post
ABSOLUTELY!!!
My Baby A(Adam)was very quiet in utero,much like his personality now.
My Baby B(Thomas)kicked me ALL.THE.TIME. He is still the same....always on the go!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#11 of 23 Old 01-25-2009, 04:05 AM

Normal, but nervewracking.

Mama to twins Wren and Robin, 3/3/08.
#12 of 23 Old 01-26-2009, 01:23 AM

For me, i did feel my baby a (Tesla) more than i felt my baby b (Lucius). So i think some degree of this is normal. We were a little afraid that Lucius was moving a lot less than normal for a baby to move about, and he was born with some health problems. But, I think as long as you feel both babies are moving as babies should, it is normal to feel one more than the other due to positioning and such.

SAHM to 2 year olds Tesla and Lucius. twins.gif
#13 of 23 Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 AM

yes! right now i can feel baby a move all along my left side, but baby b i jut feel big bumps on my right side. i'm pretty sure they are both facing the left - so baby a is kicking my side, but baby b is kicking baby a. lol

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#14 of 23 Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 AM

In the second trimester, too, the movement can be really inconsistent even with a singleton. The baby is still small enough to have lots of freedom of movement, and maybe even if he/she is moving, you can't feel it because of where the movement is happening. But even later on, I always felt DS move more than DD2. I think it was because of their positioning, because as quiet as DD was in utero, she's definitely the more active one now, and was the healthier one at birth. I remember being all in a panic one night, too, because I hadn't felt DD all day. Anyway, it turns out that what I thought was DS was actually DD, because DS had moved.

Yeah. I agree with the PP-- it can shred your nerves, having two babies inside of you. Nothing like carrying multiples to teach you a little faith.

Past 30 weeks, or maybe 28, if I felt no movement at all for most of a day, or I felt what I was fairly sure was movement from only one twin for most of a day, I'd seek out an ultrasound to check on things. But before then, movement is going to be inconsistent anyway, so I would try really hard not to let it make me crazy.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#15 of 23 Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone for your responses! Each and everyone has helped me in processing this experience - from helping me relax in knowing others had experienced the same thing - to knowing that I'm still early for a lot of movement to be felt in my big uterus! :-)

I had some reassurance this morning as I had a routine appointment with my midwife. We heard both babies heartbeats loud and clear with the doppler and also heard both babies move on the doppler. I actually felt Baby B move at the same time - just much gentler movements that I have been feeling from Baby A. So even though my mind was put to rest by everyone's experience....my heart can now be at rest too! :-)

There is already so much to learn about being a twin mom - I'm thankful to have you all as a support team! Thanks so much!

~ j
#16 of 23 Old 01-26-2009, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Always.

And at 19 months she is still a mellow, still, gentle little being while her sister is a crazy, wild bean! At the end of my pregnancy she would always "fail" her NSTs because she was too still. I never got used to it and always worried. And I often attributed movement to her that wasn't really her.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#17 of 23 Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 PM

I felt one of mine WAY more than the other.
#18 of 23 Old 01-26-2009, 07:43 PM

Yup. DD moved WAY more than DS in utero. We had to do all kinds of crazy things to get him to move for NSTs when I was close to term.
#19 of 23 Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 AM

Okay, I've conceived a curiosity reading this thread: did your babies stay in the same places the whole time? My girls were momos, so they were always dancing around each other in utero, switching places (they'd go in a circular motion - at least that's how it felt, and given how their cords were twisted like a candy cane when they came out, I think that's what they did), and it wasn't till the very end that one of them picked a spot head-down in my pelvis and stayed put. With other types of twins, did they each have an area to which they were generally confined, so you could always tell who was who? I suppose they couldn't really push past each other like my girls did, but I know other types of twins flip head to foot, which seems like it could cause the same kind of confusion . . . anyway, just curious!
#20 of 23 Old 01-27-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanauken View Post
Okay, I've conceived a curiosity reading this thread: did your babies stay in the same places the whole time? My girls were momos, so they were always dancing around each other in utero, switching places (they'd go in a circular motion - at least that's how it felt, and given how their cords were twisted like a candy cane when they came out, I think that's what they did), and it wasn't till the very end that one of them picked a spot head-down in my pelvis and stayed put. With other types of twins, did they each have an area to which they were generally confined, so you could always tell who was who? I suppose they couldn't really push past each other like my girls did, but I know other types of twins flip head to foot, which seems like it could cause the same kind of confusion . . . anyway, just curious!
Mine were DZ, in separate sacs, with seperate placentas. Anyway, yeah, they were pretty well fixed in position almost right from the beginning, because that's where their sacs were, with DS on top to the left, and DD on the bottom to the right. They'd move around a lot, but always keep that same general positioning. And DD was already settled head-down by 18 weeks, and stayed that way. DS was frank breech from 18 weeks until about a half a day before he was born, and then he turned transverse-- the little stinker!

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#21 of 23 Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novella View Post
Yes, I felt one much more than the other throughout the pregnancy.
me too. but honestly i was never sure who it was for sure, kwim?

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#22 of 23 Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 PM

My baby A has been on my lower right and baby B on upper left (separate sacs/placentas). As of last u/s, A was breech and B was head down-- so it was pretty easy to tell the kicks apart, if I'm interpreting things correctly. Lately, however, I've had a LOT more kicks all over my upper region, so I'm thinking (hoping) that baby A has flipped around. (Though I do feel some flutters low down, so who knows). I have a growth scan tomorrow, so I'll be curious to see who's where. (Although based on where the placentas are attached, I expect the sacs to be in the same general position, lower right, upper left, it's their position within the sacs that I'm curious about).

Does anyone know at what point, typically, do twin babies tend to become trapped in one position or another (e.g., if they're breech they're likely to stay that way, and if they're head-down the same). I know in singleton's it's not toward the end when they run out of room to move around (in the absence of working at it with chrio or yoga or versioning or something). But I imagine it has to come earlier with twins since the space runs out quicker.
#23 of 23 Old 02-02-2009, 02:54 PM

I had one placenta, two sacs. one babe was head down a lot and th eother was breech.. and yes it is normal I think. it sort of tells of their personalities. I found taht with my two anyway. the one I felt more is the more verbally asertive and physically active twin and her sister is more mellow and middle of the road. ..
HTH!
Sarah

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page