your first PP period after multiples - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: when was your first PP period after multiples??
6wk - 3mo postpartum 2 4.35%
3mo - 6mo postpartum 6 13.04%
6mo - 9mo postparum 6 13.04%
9mo - 12mo postpartum 5 10.87%
12mo - 15mo postpartum 3 6.52%
15mo - 18mo postpartum 5 10.87%
18mo - 21mo postpartum 2 4.35%
21mo - 24mo postparum 2 4.35%
24+ mo postpartum 1 2.17%
I'm still waiting 11 23.91%
I can't remember 0 0%
I'm not a mother of multiples but can't resist the urge to vote anyway 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When did your's return? Feel free to explain why you think it did - start solids, night wean, drop a feed, because that's what your body normally does, etc etc.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#2 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 07:35 AM

i had a definite period at around 50 days pp, but then next month i had just spotting ( which freaked me out because that is what happened when i was preg. with number two just two months after birth! but, no, i have a neg. preg. test this time round)

so, my theory is:

1. my period has always returned pp by about 6-8 weeks bar with one child.
2. this time round i was exclusively pumping for 4 weeks for preemies
3. i guess the spotting is my body trying to work out what is required of it now i'm exclusively nursing

but i do like a nice regular cycle

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#3 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I just got mine 2 days ago after the girls turned 18mo. Mine came back after DD at 14mo and DS at 13mo so I figured I was wired that way. This time around I noticed fertility signs first and was totally suspecting I'd start this month and I did. BUt it's not this crazy heavy period I thought it's be like with my other two kids.

The trigger for it to start? Either I'm wired to just start back up later or it could be that the girls are finally eating a little more solid food. Still nursing every 2 - 3 hr during the day and every 4 or so at night.

#4 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 10:55 AM

Mine came at 21 months postpartum, 3 months after attempting night-weaning. I assumed that the night-weaning was the cause, but then with my singleton I also got my first PPAF at 21 months despite the fact that he was (and still is now at 26.5 months) still nursing through the night. So maybe that's just what my body does.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#5 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 11:27 AM

Well I am 10 months PP and I am trying to trick my body into cycling with one round of BCPs. Dunno how that will turn out.

With my son AF came back around 9 months and coincided with STTN.

I assumed the same would happen with the girls but one sleeps in her crib and sleeps all night but the other sleeps with us and takes little nips all night.

It's annoying though because my supply was never enough for the two of them - I really don't even know if I am producing enough for one kid now - but I think they are still nursing frequently enough, even if it's not much, that my body says no cycles for you. That or it's PCOS...

Anyway no votes - 10 months, no AF.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#6 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 12:20 PM

6 months pp. Shukr - glad I'm not the only one with an early return. I was absolutely shocked that it came so early. We had started introducing solids, but it was more like playtime then eating until a month or two ago. Even now at 11 months they aren't really nursing any less than they did as newborns. Those first few back were horrific.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#7 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 01:46 PM

17 months post partum... or maybe 18. I started to nightwean at 17 months, and it came after that. Hmmm... you would think I could remember these things...
#8 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 02:01 PM

still no sign at 27 months but we still nurse quite a bit
#9 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 03:33 PM

Just after 15 months. The babies had started to nurse a little less at that point.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#10 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxymum View Post
still no sign at 27 months but we still nurse quite a bit
Maybe you're preggers and just don't know it.

laughup

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#11 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 03:47 PM

10 1/2 months postpartum . . . I think it's just what my body does. Got it at 6 months PP with my first, and 9 months with my second, still nursing strongly all three times. I think my body just insists on being fertile.

(I was disappointed to get it at only 10 1/2 months PP with the twins - I thought I ought to get at least a year off!)
#12 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 04:37 PM

Twins are 7 months and I'm still waiting. I got it back around 3-4 months pp with my older dc's so I'm enjoying this. If it's based on how much they're nursing I'd say I'm safe for a little while longer. I just spent 2 hours lying down with both babies who refused to unlatch . But, I'm sure it will come back before I'm ready.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#13 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyc View Post
Maybe you're preggers and just don't know it.

laughup

oh HOHOHOHO christy you are high-LARious
:
#14 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 09:34 PM

Mine returned 16 weeks pp. It's natural to me, and yes I exclusively breastfed, as needed not on a schedule.

With my singleton my period returned 8 weeks pp. She also was nursed exclusively until she was eating table food, yet I still conceived by 16 weeks pp (had a miscarriage though), and then later conceived my multiples while I was still exclusively nursing her.

I was more careful after I had the boys.
#15 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 10:11 PM

6 months : I started cycling every other month at 6 months. The twins were EBF with no solids until just before they turned 6 months. I got it back at about 5 with my singleton. You ladies with the year and a half reprieve are so lucky!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#16 of 28 Old 01-31-2009, 10:50 PM

7 months PP & I was bitter! We had started a tiny, tiny bit of solids, but they were nursing all night long & very frequently during the day.

With Ian, I don't think I even got 3 months without cycles. So it seems like it's just what my body does. Lucky me!

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#17 of 28 Old 02-01-2009, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
12 months Monday and no sign of AF. It's awesome. I've forgotten what periods were like!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#18 of 28 Old 02-01-2009, 02:05 AM

13 months and still no AF! YAY! With my first I cycled at 12m and got PG w/ #2! With #2 i started cycling around 14 months I think, she nursed more, though, and weaned at 25 months, got PG w/ the boys the next month!
#19 of 28 Old 02-01-2009, 03:09 AM

3.5 months - grrrr! I got a mini-period a couple weeks ago, thought "that wasn't bad" and now it's back again with a vengeance. I only BF one of my twins, but she sleeps well at night and she also takes a pacifier, so that could be part of it. This is about when AF returned with my singleton as well, so maybe it's just me. Lucky lucky me. :

Kim, mom to : Katie (2/06), : Tommy & Amelia (10/08)
#20 of 28 Old 02-01-2009, 08:12 AM

It was right at about 6 months, but I was working nights and pumping. With Rivka it didn't come back until about 20 months, and it's still away now (he's almost 1) and he sleeps pretty decent (one or no wakings a night).

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#21 of 28 Old 02-01-2009, 10:31 AM

I'm 9 months PP and no sign yet. DS1 was 14 months when I got it with him, and that was right after we night weaned, so no doubt there what caused it.
#22 of 28 Old 02-01-2009, 10:43 AM

My cycle returned at 16 months pp after the twins. It was 13 months pp with my first child, so I guess that is just what I do. I am curious to see how long it will take this time. Baby is only 2 weeks old, so I am sure I have a while to go.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#23 of 28 Old 02-01-2009, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
19 months here and really enjoying no signs of her return.

I think we'll start doing some night weaning in the next few months though so who knows what will happen. I night weaned at 20 months with my 1st so I could ttc again and then did the same at 20 months with my second to ttc. Both times af came back within 6 weeks of cutting back on night nursings. Once pregnant I got tired and we went right back to our regular all night nursing sessions with no ill effects.

(I am a twin mom. The 19 month olds are the twins. Just for clarification.)

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#24 of 28 Old 02-01-2009, 05:27 PM

I had a little breakthrough spotting at around 2 months, when the twins were getting supplements, but once we got them back on the boob completely, it went away.

Then it happened again around 7 months, when they got really into solids and cut back on their nursing. (Both of them took to solid food easily and got really into it.) Once the initial thrill wore off, they went back to mostly nursing, and the spotting stopped.

Then at just past 10 months I nightweaned DD2, and started cutting back on the night nursing with DS. I had a few months of odd periods, that were really short and light. I think they were probably anovulatory, since the twins were still nursing at least 8 times a day each.

Then at 16 months I weaned completely, because I needed to get back on meds and was really debilitated. Anyway, it was about two months more of the short, light periods, and then when they were 18 months, I started having periods that were normal for me. I think that once I got back on my meds, I could maintain my body weight better, and so I was able to menstruate normally.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#25 of 28 Old 02-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Mine came back at 18.5 months pp. With both my singletons (who nursed around the clock and had zero solids or formula) it came back at 4 months, on the dot! I have no idea why! I was quite shocked b/c of those previous experiences that it did take so long for AF to show up with the twins. They were first introduced to solids at 9.5 months old but did continue to nurse very frequently for a very long time after that. So really, I just don't know why it worked the way it did - but I am thankful for it! Periods have been lighter than before since then BUT they're super weird in that they last about a full 2 weeks, will start up with some spotting which will subside after a number of days and just when I think AF must be over for the month, I'll get a heavy flow for like a day, then another day or two with less, then it will be gone. Very, very strange - I can't figure it out. If anyone has heard of this, I'd love to hear more.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#26 of 28 Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 PM

11 months here, while exclusively pumping. I can't remember if it correlated with dropping a pumping session or not, but the timing seems about right.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#27 of 28 Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM

With ds#3 I said to G-d, please let me not get my period until he's 18m. old. Lo and behold,18 mo to the day, it came. With the twins (#s4-5) I said to G-d, last time You gave me 18 mo. this time it would be great to get 2 yrs. The day after their second b-day, it came.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#28 of 28 Old 02-03-2009, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

NOw that's some answered prayer LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page