Mothering Forum banner

Singleton after twins

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  pitter_patter 
#1 ·
So I'm gettin strong singleton vibes from this little one so i'm thinking that I'm probably not having lucky set number two. What's it like mothering one after having twins? I've already experienced having twins after a singleton and that was the hardest thing I ever did

See less See more
#2 ·
I started with twins so maybe it's different. I found some things easier and some things harder. Rivka was a colicky baby, so she had a more difficult temperment than my twins did. My twins make great older siblings. They were not jealous at all of the new baby (either time). I have heard the same from other people, twins tend to be less jealous than a singleton would be because thye already share you.

#3 ·
For is it's been pure joy, all around
. Seriously, so easy and fun that we decided to do it again
. Our twins were 3.75 when our singleton arrived, so that may have helped (i.e. if they'd been only 2, I think it could have been more like having three babies than one . . . not sure how old your twins are).

Congratulations!!!!

Lex

#4 ·
My new baby is only 2 weeks old. The twins are reacting very differently. O has always been more independent. He takes interest occasionally. Mostly during quieter times of day. Otherwise he does his own ting, or hangs out with older sister. K on the other hand is one wet mess. He has always been my cuddle boy, and now he feels really threatened by the baby. Lots of shrieking, crying, and tantrums around here right now. He also lashes out at O. Poor guy. he has been taking a lot of abuse from his brother. When the twins were born DD was 3.25 years. The twins are only 2.25 years, but I haven't found it to be any harder so far. Well, except for getting out of the house.

#5 ·
My twins are 18 months and my older child is just over three. With my son, we had LOTS of jealousy issues when the twins arrived. The twins were colicy for the first 6 months or so and super high needs even now. I guess this will be interesting. I'm hoping they're not so jealous as El was of them. That was the biggest thing for us. Maybe with the twins being a bit older the will be less needy too.

#6 ·
I started with twins, so I don't think I realized that is was hard, it was just what life looked like. A singleton after twins was for me, a dream. Nursing was just one baby! Cosleeping was easy-- Just one baby, no one else demanding to nurse. Everything about my newest has been simpler. I'm sure part of that is her nature, but it's also because there was only on small one to take care of this time.

#7 ·
Totally depends on the ages and personalities of the kids involved. For me, having a singleton after twins was nearly impossible, because the twins were only 15mos old when Melanie was born. She was a demanding, colicky baby and if you turned your back on the twins for literally 30 seconds they would be into something. However, 3 years later when my second set of twins was born it was much easier, because the older kids were old enough to listen and they were easy babies. So . . . it's somewhere between easy and impossible. How's that for helpful?

#9 ·
It hasn't been bad at all, I hate to say it has been easy, but it has not been very hard. I have a 4yr old, 18 mo twins and a almost 5mo old. The twins love the new baby(to death if I would let them) and the 4yr old does too, and when we had the twins, she had problems adjusting. When you just add one more with all the crazyness you already have going on, it's just not a big deal. Congrats!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.