Mothering Forum banner

How do you cope towards the end of PG?

939 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  akn 
#1 ·
I have about 4-7 weeks left. I'm finding it hard to cope at this point. I'm excited to meet the babies. I'm over feeling uncomfortable, but know I'm just going to get bigger. I'm anxious about being a mom. I'm SO excited to be a mom. Physically, I'm not sure I can keep going, but I know there is no other option.

PLEASE tell me how you coped at the end!

#2 ·
How I coped physically: I couldn't have hacked it without my compression socks. This may or may not be a problem for you, but I NEEDED these. With them I could go for long walks until the very end. Without them I couldn't sit through dinner at a fancy restaurant. I also used a belly bra, but I think this was more of a psychological help.

I was big, really big, but didn't get all that much bigger in the last few weeks. Everyone's different.

Swimming was also wonderful. Your body could use some gravity free time!

Also, drink water all the time, especially at the first sense of Braxton Hicks.

Mentally can be tougher, especially for us MOMs. We go straight from worrying that our twins will come early, to worrying they'll come late. This second worry is almost total crap. Due dates are so inaccurate to begin with (average, non-induced singleton 1st mother goes 41w1d, NOT 40 weeks), and then for twin moms there's the question of what is term. Is it 36, 37 or 38 weeks? From what I've read I say, for most twins, term is no different than singletons. Every minute you carry them is better for both you and them. I know its clique to say they're easier to care for inside you than out. But it's true. Easier and healthier. My pediatrician was the only HCP who wished me good luck in going to 40 weeks. I wanted to ask him to call my OBs and tell them that. 40 weeks may sound like a bad wish to you, but for your babes it could be just what they need.

Please enjoy "baking" your babes, and settle in for the long haul. Do some things you can't do later - nights out, linger over coffee in a bookstore, long hours at home doing nothing. Ask your DH to give you a pedicure. Whatever makes you happy.

Best wishes!

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gena 22 View Post
How I coped physically: I couldn't have hacked it without my compression socks. This may or may not be a problem for you, but I NEEDED these. With them I could go for long walks until the very end. Without them I couldn't sit through dinner at a fancy restaurant. I also used a belly bra, but I think this was more of a psychological help.

I was big, really big, but didn't get all that much bigger in the last few weeks. Everyone's different.

Swimming was also wonderful. Your body could use some gravity free time!

Also, drink water all the time, especially at the first sense of Braxton Hicks.

Mentally can be tougher, especially for us MOMs. We go straight from worrying that our twins will come early, to worrying they'll come late. This second worry is almost total crap. Due dates are so inaccurate to begin with (average, non-induced singleton 1st mother goes 41w1d, NOT 40 weeks), and then for twin moms there's the question of what is term. Is it 36, 37 or 38 weeks? From what I've read I say, for most twins, term is no different than singletons. Every minute you carry them is better for both you and them. I know its clique to say they're easier to care for inside you than out. But it's true. Easier and healthier. My pediatrician was the only HCP who wished me good luck in going to 40 weeks. I wanted to ask him to call my OBs and tell them that. 40 weeks may sound like a bad wish to you, but for your babes it could be just what they need.

Please enjoy "baking" your babes, and settle in for the long haul. Do some things you can't do later - nights out, linger over coffee in a bookstore, long hours at home doing nothing. Ask your DH to give you a pedicure. Whatever makes you happy.

Best wishes!
Great advice and makes me wish I could linger over coffee in a bookstore.... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

#4 ·
I'm down to the last week to 3 weeks now. Honestly I'm not feeling terrible. I eat my protein and drink lots and lots of water (with a splash of juice in each glass).

I make sure I get my rest, even with a busy 2 1/2 yo who is an early riser. Naps are our friend!
I'm just so thankful to be pregnant I'm savoring every moment, even the not so fun moments.

Hang in there.
s

#6 ·
I knew that it was a lot easier taking care of them when they were on the inside. I could go to bed when I wanted, etc. Not so of after they came.

Also for me it was my last pregnancy, so I knew it would be the last time I was able to experience pregnancy. I actually really enjoy being pregnant and giving birth so I tried to savor all of it. And no, I don't neccesarily have an easy time of it. I have all the aches and pains. I just find it all so amazing and magical, and I feel so blessed that I was given the opportunity to carry not just one baby, but 2. I will never do that again. Looking back, this time will seem so short. And I definitely know the feeling of being ready to be done, but do try to enjoy it.

And sorry I can't offer any more practical advice.

#7 ·
Depending on your resources, getting chiropractic care and/or massage and acupuncture can make the physical piece a bit more bearable. You must be feeling so much waiting for the birth. I know the end of pg wasn't a cakewalk, but I REALLY miss being pregnant. And babes inside are sure easier than on the outside, but not as fun.

Ask for help, use the motorized carts at grocery stores, do a little prenatal yoga, and soon they will be here.

#8 ·
I didn't cope well at the end. I was very swollen everywhere and I cried a lot. My doc originally told me I needed to make it to 36 weeks (I knew I had to have a c/s) and then because my pre-term labor symptoms lightened up nearer the end she moved the date to 38 weeks. That mentally for me was torture. I was very uncomfortable (peeing every 45 minutes, horrible hemmeroids, swelling, pain) and at 36w 1d before my scheduled OB appointment my body went into labor so I ended up having my boys that day. I will say I am glad I went that long, but happy I didn't have to go any longer. I know every second in utero helps in the long run, but my boys came at 6#5oz and 5#6oz and there was no NICU and they came home with us 2 days later.

I also knew it was my last pregnancy, and I tried to enjoy every minute of it, but with the horrid morning sickness lasting until 18weeks and then a few weeks of feeling good and then all the other problems that come with carrying two babies, it was hard. I will say being able to endure the last few weeks, and being that uncomfortable sure makes it easier now. I feel like the babies are easier to take care of now as I can pee regulary, I am not swollen and huge, and feel great (albeit sleep deprived). I guess that is a selfish way to look at it, but just wanted to give you a little bit of the other side. It is ok to feel horrible and sorry for yourself. I got through it with a lot of reading and napping. Good luck and it does pass pretty quickly (although at the time it seems like it doesn't).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.