Twin growth curves - are twins generally small? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 02-09-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My twins just turned 1 a week ago. I knew they were on the small side, but was in some denial about how small they are until our WBV on Friday. Turns out DD1 is 20.5 and DD2 is 18.8 (on a heavy day).

They are beautiful and active, their growth curve is good and our pedi isn't worried. But they are nothing like my family. We're all giants. My brother outweighed these girls at 3 months. My sister and I were always off the charts too. Have no idea what DH's family was like, so they might take after him.

I know there are well built, big twins. Although the twins in my family seem to be a little smaller than our average. Have you found this to be the case? Are twins generally smaller?

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mine are only 4 months but like little and large

one is chubby, the other is *very* petite.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#3 of 22 Old 02-09-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
mine are only 4 months but like little and large

one is chubby, the other is *very* petite.
Ditto. On the age on and the sizes. My DS is 2 lbs. heavier and my DD2 is one pound lighter than my singleton DD1 was at this age.

Kim, mom to : Katie (2/06), : Tommy & Amelia (10/08)
#4 of 22 Old 02-09-2009, 09:06 PM

I think I have read on average twins are smaller than singletons until age 3 and then they even out. I don't how true that is though. My twins have always been large though. They were pretty normal sized at birth (7lb 15oz & 8lb 2oz) but gained fast and have been 97th percentile most of their lives for height and weight.
#5 of 22 Old 02-09-2009, 09:07 PM

I think some of how big they are is genetics, and some of it is birth stuff (like possible prematurity), so there's a huge range. My twins were 23 and 26 pounds at about 6 months old, and now at 21 months they're 26 and 28! So they were WAY ahead at 6 months, and now tall and thinning out.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#6 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 AM

Mine are 18mo now and are about 20lb each or so. Teeny little ones. BUT their older sister was the same at this age so it's genetics. Doesn't help that their dad is 6'4" and 160lb! Our ped says they'll all be tall and skinny like daddy. I haven't weighed them in 3 mo so now I'm kinda curious.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#7 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 12:31 AM

I think it has a lot to do with genetics. One of my twins is big & beefy like his older sisters were but the other is on the small side for the growth charts. I figure if I average the two of them, I get one "normal" sized child! Ha! I wouldn't worry - if they aren't healthy, then worry but otherwise rest easy that it's just their body types.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#8 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 12:35 AM

I saw the pics of your girls, and they look a lot like mine. I think they are about 15 lbs, or so, now at 9 mos. I'm guessing the weights of your girls will be what my girls are at one. But DD1 was just like that. Skimmed the bottom of the growth chart, but always appeared healthy and thriving. She is little still (at 4), but there are other kids her age who are also small. As far as health goes, she seriously has never had much of anything. I do remember her puking a couple times, and having a 100 degree fever once, but that's it. So healthy she is, though she is small. I am 5'3" and DH is 5'10". Your girls may hit a growing streak at some point and suprise you. Personally, I think my girls will remain small. I think one thing that is a slim, crazy possibility is that maybe you don't know your genetics completely. My aunt did family tree research a few years back, and found my grandpa's birth certificate. On really close observation the name of the father had been changed, so even though we assume we know genetics, maybe we don't always.....
#9 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 02:33 AM

That's about how big my girls were at 1. I think it's genetics. The girls were very small at birth, Fiona was 4-1/2 & Phoebe was 6-1/2. They were both right about 20 lb at a year. I think they were about 50th percentile for height, whatever that was. Ian was 10 lb at birth, so off the charts big, but at a year is only 20 lb. He's like 90th percentile for height. I've had to bring him in for weight checks since he has fallen off the percentiles, but he's healthy, built like his sisters and his father. If only I was tall and skinny, too.

So I think their body type is genetic.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#10 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 03:06 AM

I think it varies.
My children were small at birth. They were eight weeks early and weighed 4lb 7oz and 4lb 15oz. However, they grew quickly and were off the charts early on. They are 4.5yo and haven't been measured against the 'group curve' for almost two years. I think their growth has slowed down and they are probably within the typical range.

I think a steady growth curve is more important than the size. In our case, the doctor was worried about such large heads which seemed strange to me since they were large in weight and height too.
#11 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 03:32 AM

I think they are both heavier than mine were at 1. I don't think Rena weighed 20 lbs until she was TWO.

We thought it was a twin thing until dd3 came along.... 7lbs 10oz... and weighed I think 18 lbs at 1?

DS was born 8lbs 13oz, no peanut. Yes he's almost 1 and weighs about 18lbs.

So sometimes it's just a family thing.

Oh my twins were born 4lbs 1oz and 4lbs 8oz, and all four kids were BF so actually my twins gained the most in their first year (I think they were around 16 lbs at 1).

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#12 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We continue to think of our twins as "small". Although they were 6lb 15oz and 7lb 8oz at full-term birth, that was small compared to our other kids who were 9lb - 11lb at birth. Our twins were then slow to gain weight. In our geographic area, I would say that most kids are toward the upper range of the growth chart, so that makes our boys look little. I was curious to read the comment of the earlier poster who said she had heard that twins often "catch up" after age three. I guess we'll see.

Here's my kids from a couple of months ago. (I was referencing the WHO growth charts).
  1. 63 lb 3.5 oz (28.676 kg) 52.00" (132.08 cm) at 7 yrs 7.5 months Weight: around 83rd percentile Height: around 83rd percentile
  2. 52 lb 1.0 oz (23.615 kg) 47.75" (121.3 cm) at 71 months Weight: around 90th percentile Height: just above 90th percentile
  3. 43 lb 10.5 oz (19.802 kg) 40.50" (102.9 cm) at 46 months Weight: around 96th percentile Height: just above 50th percentile
  4. 31 lb 5.0 oz (14.203 kg) 33.75" (85.7 cm) at 3 weeks shy of 24 months Weight: around 90th percentile Height: just above 50th percentile
  5. 28 lb 15.0 oz (13.126 kg) 33.88" (86 cm) at 3 weeks shy of 24 months Weight: about 68th percentile Height: just above 50th percentile

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#13 of 22 Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaeliz View Post
I think one thing that is a slim, crazy possibility is that maybe you don't know your genetics completely. My aunt did family tree research a few years back, and found my grandpa's birth certificate. On really close observation the name of the father had been changed, so even though we assume we know genetics, maybe we don't always.....
Not likely, since the resemblance in my family is so strong, but I love mulling these theories over. And I have a BIL who I'm SURE is only a half brother to my DH. Too funny. I've heard the rate of children who's fathers aren't who they think they are ranges between 10 - 20%.

Been waiting for the growth spurt to hit, but it doesn't seem likely. Just feel funny about things because here I had these full term 39 week babes, who at a year look like they must have been premature: they have only two teeth, not much hair, aren't quite walking (my family were early walkers), and are petite. It throws my mother and me for a loop.

Guess it's an early lesson in parenting: kids are not going to necessarily be like at all like what you expect! They're the way they are meant to be; perfect.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#14 of 22 Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 AM

Out of curiosity we weighted the girls yesterday. They're 19mo next week. Both weighed exactly the same .... 19.5 lb I can't believe how small they are, and they were good weights and only a couple weeks early. They're just tiny like their sister.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#15 of 22 Old 02-11-2009, 09:21 AM

mine are bitty peanuts at only 19-20lbs at 19 months. I think my DS was 22 lbs at 6 months! Their father is small too so they may just take after him as they were decent sized (6 1/2 lbs each at birth) and have consistently dropped percentiles as time has gone by. They are off the bottom of the growth chart. DS has a different dad so it explains alot, although I have a friend on another board who's son is the same as El and daughter is petite like my twins... they are the same ages too and share the same father. Genetics is a craps shoot I guess!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#16 of 22 Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 AM

Mine are always at the 50% mark.
#17 of 22 Old 02-11-2009, 11:49 AM

My twins were not small as babies (they were average-big), but have turned into smallish children (~20th %). Their little brother was a HUGE baby (over 20 lbs. at 6 months), but again is turning out to be a small toddler/kid (or at least a SHORT toddler/kid; he's still got some baby chub , I think he's in about the 25th% for height and 40th for weight).

We weighed our twins (turning 6 next week!) the other day on our home scale, and we were SHOCKED to see that they weigh the exact same amount. What are the chances of that (they're fraternal)? They both weighed 46.8 lbs. We did it several times to make sure. I would have guessed that one was slightly heavier.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#18 of 22 Old 02-11-2009, 01:32 PM

My twins were born smaller (5lbs, 8oz and 6lbs, 3oz). Smaller than my other dc's at least. But at 8 months, ds2 is at the 75th percentile (21lbs) and dd2 is at the 50th percentile (18lbs). They are pretty much following the same growth as my older two dc's. Ds2 is heavier than my ds1 was at this age. My dd2 is by far the smallest of our children by 1-2lbs (at this age anyways).

I'm thinking genetics plays a bigger role than birthweight but what do I know .

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#19 of 22 Old 02-12-2009, 01:36 AM

Mine have been 25th percentile for height, 75th for weight for the past year or so. They were born very premature, and I'm not sure how much effect that has on their size at this point.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#20 of 22 Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 AM

I don't have twins, but my husband is an identical twin. He and his brother were about 10 weeks premature. They were always small or the smallest in the class growing up. Now at age 34 they are average weight and 6"2.

There's nothing you can know that isn't known. ~ John Lennon
#21 of 22 Old 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM

Mine were born small-- 5 1/2 pounds and 6 1/2 pounds. They stayed small until around 5 months, and then they started growing VERY rapidly. DD2, for example, jumped from about 3rd percentile for weight all the way up to the 50th, in two months, and DS grew even faster-- his weight is about 75th now. Our theory is this was the size they were genetically meant to be, but that they needed some time to catch up.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#22 of 22 Old 02-12-2009, 05:15 PM

I am an Identical twin and have identical twin brothers as well.
We were all born very small, 4 lb 3oz for both of us girls (at 33 weeks) and the boys were 4 lbs 5oz and 4 lbs 11oz (at 34 weeks).

We all stayed small and still are under 25%, but thats genetic for us.

I have met others who were big, I think it is largely dependent on genetics.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page