Precipitous birth with prior single? What was your twin birth like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-11-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have three homebirth's of my own. My first labor was about 8 hours from VERY start to baby, my second was unplanned unattended cause labor was only 1.5 hours from very start to baby, third was 5 hours...

Now I'm carrying twins, have to plan a hosp. birth and the hosp is 1 hour away...I've heard it can go either way--super extra fast or slower because of the stretched uterus. I'm curious if there are any twin mama's here who had a previous singleton precipitous birth and what your subsequent twin labor/births were like?

Mama's who didn't have a previous precipitous birth--how did the length of labor with your twins compare to the length of labor for your singletons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-11-2009, 07:21 PM

My first was 7 hours. My second was 5 hours. It was 2.5 hours with the twins.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#3 of 13 Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 PM

mine were approx:

1st - 6hrs
2nd - 2.5hrs (but aware of contracs for 7 hours before that)
3rd - 30/40 mins; bizarre birth where I went straight into transition type contracs with NO warm up at all!
4th - 2 hrs, but WEEEEEEEEKS of thinking I was on the brink of birth!
5/6, my twins - aware of contracs since the day before, had a show when I woke up and knew it was going to happen, but only 1 hour or so of hard labour.

hth

i always say 'birth is unpredictable'

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#4 of 13 Old 02-11-2009, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#1 14hrs water breaking - birth (but "labour" didn't feel like it started until about 3 hours after water broke and contractions weren't anything more than barely notice until about 10 hours before birth)
#2 7.5hrs water breaking - birth
#3 6.5hrs apx
#4/5 3hrs10min from waking up to go pee. But I had spent the first 45 minutes after that being completely uncertain as to whether it was actually labour. I couldn't feel contractions, I just kept feeling like I had to go pee again immediately and couldn't get back to sleep.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#5 of 13 Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 PM

Ds1 was about 12 hours (regular contractions)
Dd1 was 10 hours (regular contractions)
Ds2 and dd2 (twins) were 5 hours (water broke, labour contractions didn't start until about 2 hours before actual birth)

I should say that I had very frequent and regular contractions off and on for the last 3-4 weeks of my pregnancy with the twins which I never experienced with my singleton pregnancies.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#6 of 13 Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 AM

You probably don't want to hear my story. I was a gestational surrogate and carried twins twice. I had quick labors with my singleton children (5 hours and 3 hours) and my hospital was about an hour and twenty minutes away under normal driving conditions. I was dilated between 4 and 5 at 35 weeks and just sort of sat there for three weeks. When I finally went into labor, it started at 11:50. We hauled ass to get our kids to the sitter and drive down to our hospital. I had baby A at 1:23 in our moving vehicle. My husband had to pull over and call 911. I delivered baby B in the ER about thirty minutes later. It was crazy, but everything was fine.

Coincidentally, I had read the section in Kitzinger's Pregnancy and Childbirth book a couple days before and I have doula experience, so I wasn't unprepared. I would suggest buying an emergency birth kit and having lots of blankets/towels in your vehicle. We didn't expect this to happen, so I had to strip off my clothing to wrap the baby in to keep her from getting cold. I'd read up and be prepared, but I also wouldn't stress overly about it either. Birth happens.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#7 of 13 Old 02-12-2009, 01:58 AM

With my 1st I had a long labor. I don't really know what all to consider actual labor but I started on Wednesday night and was in labor about 7-8 hrs and dialated to 7 and then pretty much stopped (very light spaced out contractions) until really early Sat morning and then had another 10 hrs before he was born. With my twins I woke at midnight in hard labor and they were both out by 1:35 am. I had them at home thankfully, there was no way I could have gotten in a car! My sil just had twins too and her 1st labor was I think 4 hrs and her twins was about 1.5 too but it was induced.
#8 of 13 Old 02-12-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well you guys sure are convincing me that I need to prepare for it to (quite possibly) be fast again! YIKES!

I agree FULLY though Shukr, birth IS unpredictable...my labors have not gotten progressively faster--we were pleasantly surprised that #3 was longer than #2

Loved your story Lisa Since I've had an unattended birth before (remember--UNintentionally, and I, personally, wouldn't plan an unattended birth for my own nevermind for someone else's!!!) I have a lot of faith that everything is OKAY when birth happens that quickly and I, too, am very educated about birth I am definitely going to have a FULL birth kit in my minivan and we will fold the seats down for the ride to the hospital. My homebirth midwife will be my doula for this birth and I am hoping she can beat feet, meet us here, and ride in my van with us to the hospital...this way if things happen "too quickly" it will at least be a midwife attended car birth heeheehee.

I loved hearing everyone's experiences, keep em coming! :
#9 of 13 Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 PM

I have to last b/c my first 2 births were singletons (followed by my twins) and my situations are almost identical to yours!

1st baby: 9 hours 45 minutes from the very start (she was malpositioned so 4 of those hours were spent pushing - she could have been born *much* faster)
2nd baby: 90 minutes start to finish, unexpectedly unassisted b/c she came so fast (the mw arrived about 10 minutes later)
The twins: From first contraction to birth, 41 minutes for Baby A and I'm certain he would have come faster had I allowed it. I held out for my dh to get home from work and refused to enter the birth tub until he did. I knew that as soon as I got in that baby was coming out and I was right! There was a short break between his birth and contractions for Baby B but I'm not sure how long. Regardless, he was born 2 hours & 32 minutes after Baby A's birth.

Fwiw, they were all born at home.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#10 of 13 Old 02-13-2009, 01:45 AM

1st baby - induced at 37 weeks for Pre-E - lasted 7 hours
2nd baby - spontaneous at 39 weeks - lasted 4 hours
3 & 4th babies - spontaneous (after 2 bouts of preterm labor) stalled out after 4 hours once we entered the FREEZING cold OR. Water was broken and first twin was out 30 minutes later. Second twin slid out 28 minutes after big brother.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#11 of 13 Old 02-13-2009, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD - 40w5d spontaneous labor - 4.5 hr
DS - 41w spontaneous labor - 3.5 hr
Twins - 37w5d spontaneous labor - 5.5 hr

I was worried about it being faster, I was worried about it being drawn out. My overstretched uterus knew just what to do

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#12 of 13 Old 02-14-2009, 01:36 AM

double post
#13 of 13 Old 02-14-2009, 01:39 AM

#1 was hospital induction at 39 weeks 13 hours labor 2.5 of pushing
#2 was hospital induction at 37 weeks 12 hours, but only 6 of active labor and barely any pushing
#3 was home birth at 39 weeks 3 days 3.5 hours from waking with contractions to baby out
#4 was UC at 40 weeks 5 days 33 hours (yes, yes, yes it was completely insane)
#5/6 was home birth at 39 weeks 8 hours from bloody show/beginning of regular contractions to birth of second baby. Only 35 minutes between babies.

All my home births were spontaneous. I didn't take anything herbal to start them!

User Tag List