My babies are here! Update # 27 and 29 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Benjamin Rhys and Emaline Marie were born Saturday, February 21 at 33 weeks. I went into the hospital Thursday with high blood pressure and on Saturday it spiked up very, very high. The babies were born 3 hours later. Ben is an incredible 6lbs even and Emaline is 5 lbs even. They are breathing room air, and starting feed via feeding tubes. Emaline is still on a bubble bi-pap, but Ben is off of his and not even on a nasal cannula. I'm so proud and happy to have such gorgeous babies, even though they decided to escape early.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 PM

Congratulations on your lovely new babies. I hope that your time in hospital is brief and that you are all home together soon! Good size, too. How early were they?

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Old 02-23-2009, 08:15 PM

Congratulations!

Those are amazing weights for 33 weekers. Here's hoping your NICU stay is short.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
Old 02-23-2009, 08:46 PM

Congratulations and welcome babies!! ::

What great weights, too, and beautiful names. Hope your recovery and NICU time goes well!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 PM

Wow, congratulations! Those are GREAT weights for 33-week twins. Mine were only 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 pounds at almost 37 weeks. And it sounds like they're doing well. That's great news!

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 PM

Whoa, HUGE babies for so young! I'm in awe

I hope they continue to do well and that you are all home soon.

Congratulations!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 PM
jkg

OMG!!!! I just posted your spotlight thread yesterday and was wondering how you were doing!

Those are awesome weights at 33 weeks, WOW!

Sending you good vibes for getting those little bambinos home soon!!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:27 AM

Wow!!! I'm floored! That is great that they were so big! I hope you and your family do well. Welcome, babies!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:02 AM

Congratulations! Beautiful names and amazing weights!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody. I'll update with a birth story when I get a free second. All my time is spend either pumping or going up to the nursery til my nurse chases me into bed. My milk hasn't come in yet, but I'm getting a fair amound of colostrum to give them through their feeding tubes.

Small update: Emaline is off her bi-pap and only on a tiny bit of supplementary oxygen. Ben is on a tiny bit of oxygen sometimes, but spends a good bit of the day just breathing on his own! With the bi-paps gone, we can see their precious little faces. Ben looks JUST like his daddy. Everyone who sees him says so. Emaline looks a lot like my dad and a bit like me. Ben has light brown/strawberryish hair and Emaline has lots of black hair that sticks straight up everywhere! I wonder if she'll keep it like my dad or lose it all and turn blonde like Ryan's side of the family. Both of them quiet down when they hear my voice and Ryan's spent lots of time singing to them whenever we can't hold them. They like that a lot. They're beautiful and I'm so in love already.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 AM

YAY!!:

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 AM

Welcome to the world E and B! Grow fast and get home soon!

I have a red head and was so surprised. The first thing I said to ds, "omg, you have red hair!" :

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 AM

Congratulations and welcome to Ben and Emaline!!! They sound like they are doing great! I hope that continues and NICU time is short and they come home soon. I have 3 redheads and they are indeed lovely .

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 02-24-2009, 01:12 PM

Congratulations! Welcome to the world Benjamin Rhys and Emaline Marie

Mama to DS 10/06, DD & DS 08/09
Old 02-24-2009, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Great to hear your news! What big babies. Best wishes to all of you!
:

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
Old 02-24-2009, 02:29 PM

Congratulations!!! Welcome to the world, sweet babies!!! Such beautiful names and excellent weights--that's almost exactly what my boys were at 35w!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
Old 02-24-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hergrace View Post
Congratulations!

Those are amazing weights for 33 weekers. Here's hoping your NICU stay is short.
YES! That's really incredible! Congratulations!! If you need any NICU pointers, please ask - we went through it, too. If yours has a March of Dimes rep, be sure to seek her out, and make sure you find a really good lactation consultant, even if your milk comes in quickly, your babies might need some special help.

Anyway, I'm so excited for you all! Yay for healthy babies!

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 PM

congratulations mama - praying for a short stay there.
xxx

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 PM

congratulations! I've never heard of such big 33-weekers, that's incredible! yay! Congratulations on your new little ones!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hergrace View Post
Congratulations!

:: : : : : :

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
Old 02-24-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

I know. Everyone asks if they might be farther along than we thought, because they're so big, but really there's no question on the dates. We were charting ovulation and getting help from the OB because of fertility problems, so at most there's a 4 or 5 day difference in dates. That difference is backwards though. The OB thought that they were 32 weeks 2 days and I thought that they were 33 weeks 1 day. I got a positive at 9 days past ovulation though, so I go by my dates because I dont' think there's any way I could get a positive that early with the OB's dates. It would be 5 Days past ovulation! They act like 33 weekers, according to the doctors, they're just huge! Their daddy was 13 lbs when he was born and their grandaddy was 11, so they could just be big babies. I also had a bit of gestational diabetes, but they've been measuring big the whole time, even before I tested positive for GD.

We have good news though. They are moving to open cribs tomorrow if everything goes well tonight. Ben's under billi lights, but should be done tomorrow and Emaline has maintained her temperatures all day, so she's good to move. They're doing well with their feeds. Each missed one feeding last night due to residuals, but digested all of them today. We got to kangaroo with Ben today and kiss his little head and caught a glimpse of little green eyes from Emaline. She doesn't have blue eyes at all, just dark, dark green. My mom says mine were the same color when I was born and I've got very green eyes too.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
We have good news though. They are moving to open cribs tomorrow if everything goes well tonight.
::

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 PM

Congratulations ::

What beautiful names and wonderful weights! Here's to a short NICU stay and lots of cuddles

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
Old 02-25-2009, 06:43 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I bet they will be home very soon! Mine were born at 30 weeks and only 3 and 3 1/2 lbs... so yours are doing great! You grew some good ones!

My twin's eyes were very dark when they were in the nicu but they lightened as they got closer to their due date...

Hang in there with all the pumping! Babies being in the nicu causes extra challenges to breastfeeding (IMO) so you will have to spend extra time and effort making it work. Like Celesterra mentioned - get a good consultant and some extra help at home... It will be time consuming and tiring! But if you are motivated, you can make it work! Best of luck to you!!! :::
Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 AM

what amazing sizes for 33 weekers! congratulations
Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 PM

Wow! Your babies are gigantic for 33 weeks. Mine are 3 1/2 weeks old, born at 33 1/2 weeks, and still both under 5 lbs. (Smaller one is barely over 4 lbs.) They sound really beautiful too.

Sounds like they are doing really well. They'll be home before you know it. Congratulations. :

Single mom to the Crunchy Froglets, Keith and Carlin, twin boys born 1/30/09. Frozen for 10 years, now unleashed on the world.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

Emaline is in an open crib. She's maintaining her temperature, digesting feeds, and on two bottles a day. I get to start "practicing" nursing tomorrow! She's well on her way to moving to the 7th floor, which is the "transition" nursery. She'll have her own room and I can stay with her all day and just feed her and cuddle her.

Ben's a bit slower, but that's expected with boys. He's off oxygen, and will practice maintaining his temperature tomorrow. If he maintains his temperature and keeps his oxygen up all by himself, he'll move to an open crib tomorrow or the next day. I told him he better catch up cause his sister is kicking his butt!

They're both just as beautiful as can be in completely different ways. Emaline is dark haired, with a small, delicate little face and features. Ben is blonde as can be with the chubbiest little cheeks and a puckery mouth and a big round belly. Emaline likes to be all snuggled up in her baby burrito, but Ben stretches out like a cat every so often and likes to sleep all sprawled out. It's so cute!

Here are some pictures of them. I'm working on a birthstory, but it's very emotional for me to write, so it may be a while. I'll just say that they came via emergency c-section and were born an hour after I was told I was going to have them that day.

Here's Benjamin
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...nk02/Benjamin/

And Emaline
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ink02/Emaline/

Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 AM

Gorgeous, and congratulations!!! I loved reading each of your posts in this thread, just hearing you talk about them. My guys are 7 months old now and those pictures are making me REMEMBER! I hope Emaline transitions to her own room really soon....that sounds like it will be comparatively lovely for you, and for her of course! Best wishes to your family.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

GREAT news. I nursed today! Emaline latched on pretty easily. I haven't had my lactation appointment yet. (It's tomorrow) but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. I had no idea what I was doing, but apparently she did. It was awkward at first, but I eventually got my nipple into her tiny little mouth. She kind of sat there at first, but I jiggled my breast a bit and she started to suck. She'd suck a few times, then stop, and I'd jiggle again. I don't think she actually got anything, but I'm just so excited that she latched on!

Next time I'm going to express a bit until the milk is flowing and to extend the nipple a bit so that she gets a bit more instant gratification. She's still not quite there on the suck/swallow/breathe thing. Usually she forgets to swallow, but occasionally she forgets to breathe, which is a bit scary.

Also, I've moved to pumping every 2 hours with a 5 hour break at night. I'm also pumping for 3-5 minutes after my milk stops coming out, rather than the 20 minutes that the lactation counselor told me. I'm going to shorten the night one soon. I'm already seeing great results. I'm getting an ounce and a half to 2 ounces on each side per pumping. That's an increase of 8 oz per day from the day before!

One more great update. They are both getting exclusively breastmilk, no fortifiers or anything. Just straight mama milk all day long.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post

Also, I've moved to pumping every 2 hours with a 5 hour break at night. I'm also pumping for 3-5 minutes after my milk stops coming out, rather than the 20 minutes that the lactation counselor told me. I'm going to shorten the night one soon. I'm already seeing great results. I'm getting an ounce and a half to 2 ounces on each side per pumping. That's an increase of 8 oz per day from the day before!

One more great update. They are both getting exclusively breastmilk, no fortifiers or anything. Just straight mama milk all day long.
way to go mama

i'm loving your updates. hits very close to home and makes me pretty tearful too

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

User Tag List