Twin names? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 03-13-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a twin myself and my parents gave us matching names, Veronika and Vennesa. What did you name your twins and did you choose the names to match? Just curious! :
#2 of 87 Old 03-13-2009, 08:24 PM

My fraternal twin aunts were named Margaret and Joanne (or Peggy and Jo).
#3 of 87 Old 03-13-2009, 08:29 PM

My twin's names aren't matching at all except that they're both Celtic.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#4 of 87 Old 03-13-2009, 08:35 PM

Phoebe & Fiona, so kind of matching in that they both start with the same sound, but not intended to match. Phoebe was a name I'd always loved & Fiona was a name DH always loved. We thought they sounded good together.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#5 of 87 Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 PM

Ours match in that they are both saints' names, but that's true for all four of our kids, so it's not a twin thing!
#6 of 87 Old 03-13-2009, 11:25 PM

Mine don't match, but we did make sure they sounded good together, since we knew we'd saying their names together a lot over the years.

Tanya ~~ mother to: Beth, 12 -- Cali & Trent, 9 -- Melanie, 8 -- Jesse & Davin, 5 -- Baby Shae 9/1/2009
#7 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 12:54 AM

Ours don't match either, but I have b/g twins and it seems like that urge strikes less with mixed sex pairs! Benjamin was the boy name we decided on a LONG time ago for our third boy and Claire for our third girl.
#8 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f&p'smama View Post
Phoebe & Fiona, so kind of matching in that they both start with the same sound, but not intended to match. Phoebe was a name I'd always loved & Fiona was a name DH always loved. We thought they sounded good together.
My first name is Phoebe and Fiona is one of my middle names!

My kids aren't twins but we unwittingly chose "matching" names. Oliver was always Oliver, not "Ollie", but with a sister named "Molly" there is no stopping the world from saying "Ollie and Molly". yikes.
#9 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 01:39 AM

Not the parent of multiples here, but I saw your question... My grandma raised 2 sets of twins, Charles and Daniel, and Noelle and Nicole. The second set has matching names. Another family member is a twin and they also have matching names, Patty and Pam.
#10 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 05:13 AM

Honestly, I do NOT like matchy-matchy twin names. I think they should complement each other maybe. We loved Hebrew names so went with Shira and Miriam. Middle names are Faith and Joy to go along with older sister Grace.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#11 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 08:57 AM

Our twins are boy/girl and we are naming the girl Jocelyn and the boy Samuel. They sound nice together. The middle names are going to be my mothers first name and dh late grandfathers first name.

Shawna!! DH Kevin, DD Kaelen (12) DS Drew (10), Sam and Jocelyn 11 months and TTC!!
#12 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 AM

I'm not big on giving away too much personal info on line, but my girls' names don't match. Not at all.

Now my brother's and my names both start with J and sound good together... he's not my twin, though. My son's name starts with T and I had a girl name (T) all picked out for if I had a girl that sounded good with his name - but then I didn't use it because I would either have 1 odd kid or have to come up with a 3rd T name - and then if we had another I'd be in the same position - and I really didn't want to be "that family with all the T names." Two kids with similar names = OK but more than that and it's getting weird in my book, LOL

All that said - mu son has a very unusual name and my girls have more common names and I grappled with, should they all have weird names?? But I didn't want to be that family with the kids with the weird names, either, so... no. My family was stunned at how normal the girls' names are, LOL

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#13 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Themes, similarities, whatever. . . . just no more super-matchy or rhyming twin names, please!

Sharon and Karen
Devin and Kevin
Madeline and Magdalena
Teagan and Reagan
Julia and Olivia

It just seems kinda' mean. Nevermind that when they're playing in the "back 40" they can't tell which name you are hollering.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#14 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 11:35 AM

We didn't know what sex our twins were until birth, but we had a pool of names to choose from that all went fairly well together, as well as with our daughter's name (Hannah). My husband mostly chose which name he felt fit which boy shortly after birth. We ended up with Eli and Sam. It wasn't until a few months later that we realized all three of our children's names were from the same Bible story (someone had to point it out to us)!
We know quite a few sets of twins here and I don't know any with matchy-matchy names (though our best friends' entire family of five--3 singleton kids + parents-- have "J" names, which ends up being quite a tongue-twister when you need to say them all).

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#15 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanauken View Post
Ours match in that they are both saints' names, but that's true for all four of our kids, so it's not a twin thing!
Yup,us too! Or at least,Biblical names!
Thomas means twin,however!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#16 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 02:07 PM

My twins names aren't alike at all. I'm not a fan of matchy names. However baby A's name starts with the letter that B's name ends with, so yelling their names rolls nicely off my tongue!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#17 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 02:51 PM

Oh yes, the combo names. My DH's favorite is Schmiriam.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#18 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsTwicePlusTwo View Post
Mine don't match, but we did make sure they sounded good together, since we knew we'd saying their names together a lot over the years.
:

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#19 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 04:45 PM

My sister named her boy- girl twins Reagan and Kennedy
#20 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 05:08 PM

It took us a full 6 months to agree on names for our identical girls, Kate and Tess. We wanted them short as their last name is somewhat complicated, and also we found it easier to say them together with short names (and hopefully then avoid the trap of referring to them all the time as "the twins"). Also, a friend of mine who is a twin gave me some advice to NOT name them with the same first initial as this had become an issue for her and her sister when an insurance company that they both dealt with ended up messing things up for them (you know, same last name, same first initial, same birth date).

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
#21 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ2+2 View Post
It took us a full 6 months to agree on names for our identical girls, Kate and Tess. We wanted them short as their last name is somewhat complicated, and also we found it easier to say them together with short names (and hopefully then avoid the trap of referring to them all the time as "the twins").
Okay I'm officially outing myself as a big dork, but that's the name Carol Hathaway gave to her twin girls on ER a zillion seasons ago.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#22 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 PM

i liked the idea of a family theme, but i need two more children to carry that off now

so, we ended up with totally different names. i guess a theme could be that both names have connotations of being dedicated/ devoted to the Divine, and His mercy.

i often refer to them affectionately as 'the boy' and 'the girl'

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#23 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 07:22 PM

I knew quite a few sets of twins growing up. Of the same sex twins, I liked the set with the names Charlotte and Laura. They were ID twins so having very different names I thought was important.
I knew two other sets of ID twins and their names were way to similar and I really didn't like it. Leslie and Laura and Amy and Debbie.
I also knew a set of non ID twins with rhyming names. That has to be the absolute worst thing to do to a child. Noelle and Joelle. I mean really, who does that?
The other set of non ID twins I knew were Brian and Matthew, so rather non matching, which I think is best.
All the other sets I knew were boy/girl sets, with nothing to close.

Although DP and his sister are four years apart. And their parents named them Danny and Annie .. how cruel is that?

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#24 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 07:41 PM

i have aunts geraldine and ernestine.
i went to school with mono twins sara and kara.
i was a nanny for mono twins yannic and cedric. i know they rhyme, but i like how their names go togetherm and not so similar that they can be confused
#25 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 09:02 PM

** oddly enough, my computer just reposted this .. an hour and a half after I originally posted .. sorry!

Oh, but I will add, that we planned to name our twin boys (because we WILL have twin boys dammit ) Connor and Murphy .. and if anyone gets that, then you are just awesome!

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#26 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
Honestly, I do NOT like matchy-matchy twin names. I think they should complement each other maybe. We loved Hebrew names so went with Shira and Miriam. Middle names are Faith and Joy to go along with older sister Grace.
Same here! We have Hebrew names for our identical girls, but they go well together. Their middles names start with "J" though, and all of our children will have Hebrew names and their middle name starting with "J". My girls have 7 letters in their name and two syllables.

Mamma to identical twin girls (June, 2006 born at 30 weeks), new bundle of joy due August, 2011
#27 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caro113 View Post
** oddly enough, my computer just reposted this .. an hour and a half after I originally posted .. sorry!

Oh, but I will add, that we planned to name our twin boys (because we WILL have twin boys dammit ) Connor and Murphy .. and if anyone gets that, then you are just awesome!
The Boondock Saints.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#28 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm totally thread crashing

But, I knew a set of brothers: Ben and Jamin (pronounced Jay-min). I don't know if their parents just took "Benjamin" and split it in half, or didn't realize what they were doing, but it still totally cracks me up.

For greater things are yet to come...

#29 of 87 Old 03-14-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso-lynn View Post
The Boondock Saints.
You. Are. Amazing.
I didn't think anyone on here would get it. A lot people haven't seen and of those who have, a lot of people don't like it, esp for the language. We happen to have three separate copies of it, including the newest one ... on BLU-RAY! How awesome is that?

#30 of 87 Old 03-15-2009, 04:41 AM

No matching names here. I am not a fan of that sort of thing, but then I have boy/girl twins. however, we had a horrible time coming up with a gir's name, so if it had matched the boy name we'd chosen, it probably wouldn't have mattered, we were still hashing out the girl's name in the car on the way to the hospital........

Denise, mama to ds1 (03/26/05) and boy/girl twins born 08/12/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page