Stroller Insanity -- Do I Need to Buy 2 Strollers for Twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help!!! I'm so tired of researching strollers.

This is what I want: one stroller that I can use from infant to toddler for my twin girls. I can use this stroller when shopping or hiking (obviously I can't hike with infants). The stroller can be easily carried and put away in the car or wheeled into the subway.

Bob:
I really like the Bob. It seems light weight and easy to maneuver. But the seats look huge. The sales person at a boutique store told me she doesn't advise using the Bob for babies until they're 6 months. Another person told me you can use the Bob when the babies are 8 weeks.

Major drawback: I can only use this stroller with one infant carseat.

Mt. Buggy:
It seems as if I can use this stroller for infants as you can purchase a carrycot/bassinet type thing.

Major drawback: I think I have to buy 2 carrycots. Each cost around $250 -- yeah super cute but I'm not sure the price is justified.

So the question is the following. Do I just suck it up and get 2 strollers? Like a double snap n go and then the Bob later on?

What did you guys do for your twins?
#2 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 02:53 PM

I can't speak to the strollers you are considering, but maybe some of this will help:

As infants, my girls were very much 'in arms' babies, so we didn't get any use out of a stroller until they were 3-4 months old. We carried the babies everywhere and didn't go very far anyway!!!

They hated snap & go car seats and therefore, the snap & go stroller.

The first stroller that they would tolerate was a baby jogger. It was donated to us, so I have no idea about $$. The thing that my girls like about it (I believe) is that the canvas seats are kind of 'slingy', so it holds them more like a wrap around carrier than a stroller with hard seats, IYKWIM. We use the baby jogger for walks around the neighborhood. I never take it apart & load it into the car; it's a pain IMO.

I also picked up a used side by side peg perego to keep in the car for errands. To be honest, I don't get much use out of it. When they were lighter I'd carry one on my front and one on my back. Now I usually carry one and put one in a shopping cart. I like the peg perego bc it's super light, super easy to fold and unfold, and narrow. I dislike it b/c it feels cheap, the shoulder harnesses aren't secured into the base of the stroller, and the wheels are a bit wonky.

We go hiking fairly often, and we always carry them in Becos.

good luck!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#3 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 03:18 PM

You can use the MBUD from infancy w/o the carrycots. We never had them and the stroller was still great! That stroller gets my vote - I absolutely LOVED ours and took it *everywhere*!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#4 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 03:39 PM

Like Kjoy, mine would not go in a stroller as babies. They were around 1yr when they would finally go in one. Before that I ended up pushing the stroller with my older ds and holding both the babies. It was not fun. We have a Valco now and we love it and the kids love it now. I don't see a reason an infant could not go in it. The seats lay almost flat and it comes with an infant head rest thing. It is not small or light but it is a great stroller and it will last us forever. It does fit in the back of my Toyota Sienna fine. It is skinny compared to some other doubles and fits fine through doors, not sure about the subway. We take ours camping and for walks/hikes and it does great. Personally I would not waste $ on a snap and go but my kids hated being in carseats. I guess if your babies will actually stay happily in a carseat it might be handy but it seems like a lot to spend for something you can only use a few months (mine outgrew infant carseats before they were 3 months).
#5 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 03:42 PM

Really, we used slings when the twins were little. We had a stroller, but preferred the slings. We also didn't use the car-seats with a base, so I didn't use a stroller that incorporated a car seat.

I did finally buy a stroller last year that I really love. It's a tike tech. Not as expensive as some, but very nice. It folds easily, has big wheels, but fits through standard doors.
http://www.joggingstroller.com/Tike-...360-Double.pro

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#6 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much ladies for all of this info. Wearing a sling seems like a great way to go. But here's my question. We'll be bi-coastal for awhile (LA to DC). So while I'm in DC, I know we'll be using the metro. Would wearing 2 babies on a sling be too much to get out and about and run errands while on foot/subway? That's kind of the reason I"m thinking a stroller is going to be super important.
#7 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Double strollers! Something I'm a bit of an expert on at this point. Here's my experience:

The double Snap n Go was FABULOUS. It folded up so small and light, had a huge basket underneath, and was narrow and maneuverable. Great for doctor's visits and shopping. But like KJoy, my twins hated their car seats with a passion. So while they would tolerate the SnG for many months, it's time was limited. I bought used seats (new to another twin mom I knew) and a used SnG, then sold them both when my girls were about 7 or 8 months. Cost me almost nothing.

My mother, who cared for my twins during work days, and I both have MBUDs. Mine is used, hers I got new on eBay. (I kinda like mine better.) They are great strollers, so easy to push. We've used them on every terrain known to Northeast folks: beach, gravel, trails, road, and even on the Subway. You don't need the carrycot. We started using ours for short walks almost immediately, when they were about 8 lbs each. We used the straps and a blanket to keep the babies positioned well. FYI - we bough a used MBUD for my mom before getting the new one. Found it on Craigslist and got it home before I realized one of the front wheel forks was bent. Fortunately we returned it. Something to look out for. But, the MB is heavy as anything, and very awkward to lift. We don't take it in the car unless we really have to, and it doesn't fit into our Prius. Not that a Bob would either.

For more versatile use, my mom has a MacLaren, which she loves. I have an Ingelsina which I like a lot. It took the place of the SnG for doctor's visits and in town use. Mine usually lives in the back of my Prius.

So, sadly, I think it may be hard for you to have one stroller you like for jogging type uses and can still put in and out of the car. It'd be hard on the stroller and on you.

But if you really wanted to get away with only one, you could do it by getting a big jogger, and use an Ergo or such for in town. My husband and I LOVED going out with the babes in Baby Bjorns, and upgraded to Ergos a few months ago. We use them more than either stroller.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#8 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM

In DC, huh? I was writing my response before seeing yours. I'm a native and live near a red line metro stop. Our girls have been on the Metro a lot, in their MBUD and in slings. Recently even on foot.

When I'm on my own, I definitely prefer a stroller. Either the MBUD or my Inglesina do well!

#9 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 04:34 PM

i have been a nanny for 2 different sets of twins.
sometimes when going out on public transport and stuff, i would wear one baby on my back, and put one in a cheap portable umbrella stroller. then i could switch the kids out when they got tired of being where they were. sometimes it was a lot easier than wearing 2 or having a big double stroller.
#10 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 05:12 PM

ok, i am still mainly using a carrier for one and a single parent facing pushchair for the other. i have a s/hand MBUD with a carrycot and like that for local strolls, but anywhere busy/public i get palpitations at the thought of having both out of my reach. i am assessing me for most paranoid mother award here , but i just don't like them to be so much 'out there' in the world when they are tiny. i carried my others pretty much exclusively for at least 5 months (bar second who went in the back of an emmajulnga and was totally hidden by the toddler seat his older bro was in, so still felt safely out of people and light glare).

i think it's easy to do without a double until 6 months unless you are recovering from surgery/very bad prolapse/ some other physical difficulty.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#11 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 05:41 PM

I love our new MBUD .... we had the Graco duo glider travel system thing, and I hated it.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#12 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 PM

I had the double Snap 'N Go and I did use it, but I wouldn't say it's a necessity. It was useful for grocery shopping (the basket was big enough for a lot of food, including multiple gallon jugs that I could finagle under there without needing to remove a carseat) and it was light and easy to use. While they were in infant carseats, and after my husband's 6 weeks of paternity leave was up & I was on my own with the babies, it came in handy.

I also had the MBUD from the beginning, and I used it some when they were tiny. I started using it to get my older daughter to her pre-ballet class.....the trip from car to the ballet studio was across a gravel walk or a large grassy lot....both too bumpy for the Snap 'N Go, but fine for the MBUD.

I had a carrycot but never used it. (It's still new in the box.) In part because I didn't go out with them in the stroller when they were super-tiny (I had Lyme disease postpartum and just a host of "issues" that kept me from doing things like go to the county fair or concerts in the park!) And also because when I did use the MBUD (at ballet), I just reclined the seats for the babies.

Now that they are out of their infant carseats, it's MBUD all the way. I also wear them, usually in a Beco carrier.
#13 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 06:29 PM

What about getting just one larger stroller like a graco that reclines all the way back, and then get a really nice carrier like a Beco and then wear one while you are out and have on in the stroller? And then "if you have to" you could bring along another carrier to wear them both and use the stroller to keep all of your stuff in?

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#14 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
What about getting just one larger stroller like a graco that reclines all the way back, and then get a really nice carrier like a Beco and then wear one while you are out and have on in the stroller? And then "if you have to" you could bring along another carrier to wear them both and use the stroller to keep all of your stuff in?
I think you're right. I'm getting a lot of mixed messages about when the babies can be in a Bob or Mt. Buggy. And I know, I'm being neurotic, lol

It sounds like the solution is getting either the Bob and putting one baby in the car seat and then wearing the other. I just don't want to pay $250/bassinet for the MBUD. I need to speak to Mt. Buggy or Bob and really get answers from the manufacturer. Emails need to be sent. I'll report!
#15 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 PM

well you could always wait and then go get one when you actually need it. That way you will konwexactly what you are looking for and exactly what you need.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#16 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 07:17 PM

You can use a MBUD from the beginning without the carrycot; the seats go almost flat.

That being said, I did enjoy my snap and go in the beginning. It weighs almost nothing (I had a difficult recovery from a c-section) and you don't have to wake the babies to transfer them from their car seats. You can pick up a used snap and go pretty cheap.

My twins are 5.5 yo and still fit in the MBUD (45 lbs each) - we still use it for the zoo, or places where it's too much walking for them.
#17 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 PM

Another vote for the MBUD without the carrycot. We got ours at 3-4 months and they went right into it. Originally I planned to sling one and stroller the other but it got too complicated for me very fast. I'd get all set and then the babe in stroller would want up but then I couldn't push the stroller comfortably, not to mention the fact that the stroller had individual handles and it would be crazy steering if I just pushed on one side and and and... The MBUD steers like a dream one-handed or two-handed. I kept a ring sling in one of the baskets all the time (just folded it in) so if I did have a babe that needed up, I always had a sling with me. I can't say enough good things about our MBUD. It almost makes me sad now that we're looking at selling it.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#18 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 PM

I would like to suggest a Peg Perego Tender. In the model I had you could easily fit two infant car seats. It folded easily and was easy to store once folded. You can save yourself many $$$ by finding a used one on Ebay.

Also, I have a BOB Duallie and while I love it for fitness purposes its just not suitable to be used at the mall or in stores.

IMHO....don't waste your money on a Graco Duoglider. I loved mine at first. But, its a piece of junk compared to the Peg Perego.

Yes....I have 3 double strollers....the Peg was given to us...got the Graco for $31 on clearance at Target...and the BOB was purchased used (had only been used once).
#19 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 07:54 PM

We have a Greco from when I had M and O 14 months apart. We like it just fine. We also used it and still use it daily (we like walks and I have back issues so can't babywear all the time). Now we are looking at other strollers that are toddler double. But yeah Greco's aren't perfect but good enough

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#20 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 PM

I love my MBUD too, and I highly recommend it. It reclines nearly flat so it can definitely be used from birth. I actually wish I had gotten the carrycot, that way the babies would have been able to lie together facing me, and it would have been easier to keep away "touchers" (you know, those busybodies who always want to touch tiny babies because they are so cute.) By the way, you only need one carrycot for the double Mountain Buggy, it's designed to be twice the size of the carrycot one would use for the single Mountain Buggy.

I also had a double Maclaren when my boys were little babies. It was great when they were really small, maneuvered well and folded up pretty small. But as they got heavier, it became much harder to push them on sidewalks or rough terrain. I kept it for in and out of the car trips, and recently sold it because I just never used it anymore.

Hope that helps!

Mom to twin boys (7/15/05), another boy 5/9/10, and our latest addition born 9/13/11!

#21 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Lola that totally helps. It's just good know that I only need one carrycot. Wow, ladies you guys love the MBUD, that makes me feel good. I have to admit, the idea of having them in a carrycot -- it's adorable.

All of you have really helped me googling insanity. Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#22 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.Mamma View Post
Help!!! I'm so tired of researching strollers.

This is what I want: one stroller that I can use from infant to toddler for my twin girls. I can use this stroller when shopping or hiking (obviously I can't hike with infants). The stroller can be easily carried and put away in the car or wheeled into the subway.
I understand your list of wants perfectly, but I don't think you are going to find all of them in one stroller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena 22 View Post
So, sadly, I think it may be hard for you to have one stroller you like for jogging type uses and can still put in and out of the car. It'd be hard on the stroller and on you.
:

I have a Teutonia Team Alu 4 (similar to MBUD) for most of my use, and a second-hand Maclaren Twin Traveller for shopping. The Maclaren is much smaller, and it's still too big if you try to get into any store that isn't a mammoth-aisled Walmart/Target/Home Depot, etc. When we go to the mall, I hate going alone with the twins. It works much better when my husband accompanies and can park outside the store entrance with the babies. This, obviously, makes the shopping less enjoyable and more complicated if I want his opinion. Something else to remember is that in addition to the bulk of the stroller, you will soon have little hands reaching beyond that perimeter and swiping at merchandise. I think you are going to find the MBUD or the Bob very unwieldy for shopping.

Do you really need a smaller in/out of car shopping stroller that much? We have not used our Maclaren as much as I thought we might, because for shopping errands we usually use carts. Even when babes were little, it was often carts b/c I could wear one and put one infant seat on the cart, or lay babe inside on a blanket and put shopping around him or pull along a second cart.

I vote against the Snap-n-Go simply because we really tried hard to not have the boys in car seats more than necessary for driving. Not sure about USA publicity, but there is much more awareness and government recommendations about this in the last year or two. The position of an infant carseat is optimal for crash protection - not for airways for regular breathing. It's long been recommended that infants under 3 months should be in strollers that have a full recline.

Just to add more agony to the mix, have you considered a Chariot trailer system?
  • If folds up very easily and the rear wheels clip off instantly, so it would be easy in/out of car for shopping. Not tiny, but not really bigger than the two strollers you are leaning toward.
  • You could get the stroller wheel kit for shopping and the jogging wheel kit for rough terrain.
  • For infants, they sell an infant sling that goes over top of the permanent seats. There is room to install two slings side-by-side (we did).
  • Since it's designed for sporty use, the trailer is well-enclosed. This is great for weather. It would also prevent grabby hands from swiping at merchandise when you are shopping.

The build quality of Chariots is excellent.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#23 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 10:57 PM

Another MBUD fan. I did have a Double Snap & Go & used that when I was alone with the babes, otherwise we just carried/wore them. Sadly, I was alone a lot. It's easy if they're asleep in the car or something and you don't want to take them out of the car seat and into a sling or a stroller and wake them.

If you live in LA, you can probably find the carrycots on Craigslist. They're on SF's craigslist all the time. Or at a local MOTC garage sale type thing.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#24 of 41 Old 03-25-2009, 11:30 AM

As far as I know, Mountain Buggy makes a "single" carrycot and a "double" carrycot. Both are the same size, but one is able to fit onto a single stroller (only) while the other one can go on a double stroller. Two of the "double" carrycots can fit onto a double stroller, as well. Basically, they all look the same (like single cots) but they are named for the size stroller that accomodates them. Or alternatively....there's a "twin" carrycot, that fits a double stroller and can hold two babies. It is wider and accommodates.....twins! You only would need one of those on a double stroller.

If your babies are small enough, very young, or else don't mind nesting & squishing each other, it's possible two infants could fit in the "double" carrycot (the single sized carrycot that fits the double stroller.) Or you could get one and assume that you could carry the other baby if needed.

Just thought I'd offer that as clarification. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't really use a stroller during the window of time that the carrycot might have been a good option.

Also, I found that relying on a carrier or carriers during the earliest months really was unwieldy for me. I did this all the time with my first child and I assumed I'd do the same with the twins....wearing one and having the other in the carseat (in a shopping cart, for instance) or else in a stroller.....but the logistics never worked out. Not even at home. No sooner would I get one into a sling or carrier, but the other would wake up or else start fussing and want to nurse.

I found the logistics of two babies, and needing to nurse so frequently, really made using a wrap/sling/carrier perplexing to me. Now I will wear a baby on my back if he is fussing or whatever while I'm fixing dinner. And I can more easily anticipate their needs (ha! well, more easily, yes...) and wearing them when out is becoming more tenable.

Really, I've only been to the grocery store a handful of times in months.

And I do keep the MBUD in the back of our van, routinely. It's there if I need it when we're out, and I also can pull it out if we need it for a walk at home. I recently learned how to fasten it closed, so that's even more of an improvement.

We are planning to travel with it next month.

I found this issue (stroller) was an area of big change for us. With my daughter, I had an umbrella stroller. A nice-ish one, but very simple. We started using it after she could walk. Things were a lot different with the twins, and I ended up investing in the stroller that we could use from infancy that would (should) stand up to years of use and would be EASY to use. So I made the kind of purchase I'd seriously have rolled my eyes at, before. (I also bought "baby gear" this time, when I hadn't found a "need" for a baby swing before....)
#25 of 41 Old 03-25-2009, 11:57 AM

Oh the buying of strollers...I have 4 strollers. 1 duoglider, 2 single Maclarens and a SBS Maclaren. I all of my Maclarens. The singles are nice when dh and I are walking together, and the SBS is good in public places (like the zoo) and when we are walking a dog. The duoglider is a joke. It worked okay when the girls were infants but they hated sitting in it so we had to buy a new one before they were even a year old b/c they hated it so much. They love the Maclarens. They are a bit more expensive then other strollers but worth it, IMO.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#26 of 41 Old 03-25-2009, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who faced this issue of stroller mania. I think for now I gotta hold off on buying a stroller. If I know we'll be in DC most of the time and I won't be in the car and basically just getting on the elvator and hopping on the metro, it'll make a difference on what kind of stroller I get. I really hope the MBUD fits through the metro doors, could you imagine the horror!!!
#27 of 41 Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 PM

my boys are two months, have been home one month, and i've already gotten so much use out of the double snap+go - just for doctor's appointments and stuff. if i can park close by then i'll just carry their car seats (not so fun, i'm 5'2 and the seats are HEAVY), but if i have to go any sort of distance with them and i'm alone, the snap+go is really great to have. i call it the baby train IMO for the price, it's worth having.

we just bought a valco trimode twin and set it up last night - can't wait to use it, but it is definitely not lightweight. my main thing with the main stroller was to have inflatable wheels for a nice smooth ride...
#28 of 41 Old 03-25-2009, 05:03 PM

I think I mentioned it before, but I have taken the MBUD on the Metro in DC. It's about the same size as a wheelchair. Goes through the doors just fine. But you are better off at stops with elevators working, and it can be tough at rush hour!

Makes me realize how challenging getting around is for handicapped folks.

#29 of 41 Old 03-25-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Gena, I do remember that! Ooops, my memory clearly isn't that good=)
#30 of 41 Old 03-26-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena 22 View Post
Makes me realize how challenging getting around is for handicapped folks.
This is why I like the idea of universal design so much. You never know when you're going to need accessible features in a structure in the course of your life. For me? So far twins has required a lot of accessible features that had my children been born one at a time, I wouldn't have needed. We're out of that phase now (double stroller) but anything can happen to anyone at anytime and it sure would be nice to know that you could continue on with many of your usual activities/habits and not have to worry about where you'll fit, eh?

I spent my grades 6-12 years in the Fairfax County suburbs so I definitely wasn't on the Metro a lot, but enough to agree that it would be a nice system for using a stroller compared to what we have in Chicago...

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page