Phil & Ted's stroller for twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-27-2009, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I drool over Phil & Ted inline double strollers, and they are starting to be sold second hand now... The inline double would be wonderful for the city as far as maneuvering on tight sidewalks and through stores, however, I'm wondering what the dynamic would be regarding twins and the seating arrangement.

If anyone here has used the P&T w/their twins, did it work?!! Or did they fight over the front (or back) seat?

Also, what is it like as far as folding to put into a car?

TIA!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-27-2009, 12:07 PM

I have looked at it and I can't get over my feeling that the kid in the back is getting shafted. People say their kids don't mind and some actually like it but... we went to look at one and I asked my son (it's so great to have a short verbal person to get input on strollers from the ground level) and I said "How would you feel if I made you ride in the back?"

He said, "I would feel funny."

I said, "Would you get in and tell me what it's like?"

He said, "No."

He tried out every other stroller I subjected him to, but he would not get in the back of that one.

The back basket seat has a lower weight limit than the upper seat so for the short term with twins it would work but not for the long term. You'd get more use out of a side-by-side jogger. It's more a older and younger kid stroller than a twin stroller, in that sense.

I think you would look fabulous pushing a side-by-side along the paths in Frick Park...

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#3 of 13 Old 03-27-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
I have looked at it and I can't get over my feeling that the kid in the back is getting shafted.

:

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#4 of 13 Old 03-27-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
The back basket seat has a lower weight limit than the upper seat so for the short term with twins it would work but not for the long term. You'd get more use out of a side-by-side jogger. It's more a older and younger kid stroller than a twin stroller, in that sense.

I think you would look fabulous pushing a side-by-side along the paths in Frick Park...
That's a good point about the weight limit - thank you for making it obvious, as I hadn't realized it.

And your son is too funny!!

And yeah, I already have a donated double jogger. I can't wait for Frick Park! Care to join me?

I was just thinking of the narrow sidewalks in the city with impediments such as utility poles, hydrants, newspaper dispensers, and people... maybe a single stroller and a back carry is the more sensible option.

#5 of 13 Old 03-27-2009, 02:41 PM

Ok, I just had to reply even though I have absolutely no opinion of the Phil and Ted's stroller, but since I have two twin strollers, and find them both worthless (for the most part). I almost always carry one, and stroller one, so the twin stroller is overkill. Even with my four year old, I would rather have had a sit/stand stroller, as it seems more suited to us. That being said, I sometiimes drool over the BoB double jogger. I think that the carry works best for us, but then again I have small girls (maybe 16 lbs at 11 months).
I also just wanted to say hi, and that I noticed you were planning a cross country move. I hope it goes well~ I'm guessing you'll be near family.
Good luck!
#6 of 13 Old 03-27-2009, 02:52 PM

I would try one out before buying because I did not like the feel of it at all once I tried one (felt plastic-y and much harder to steer than other similarly-priced "all terrain" strollers).

I haven't tried this one, but it looks like the best option if you're set on a tandem (in-line) stroller: http://www.strollermama.com/Jane-powertwin.htm

Still, I think the side-by-sides last longer (I can't imagine a 4-year-old fitting in the back seat of any tandem stroller). We love the Mountain Buggy Urban Double.

I found that I didn't really need a twin stroller until my twins were 2.5. Before then I'd always wear both of them or wear one and push one in a single stroller. But from 2.5 to 4.5, our twin stroller was an enormous life saver (even though I wouldn't need to use a stroller at all if I was taking just one of my kids out at those ages, with both of them, the stroller became necessary).

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#7 of 13 Old 03-27-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

THanks for the well wishes, Mamaeliz! Yes, we're moving to be near family. :

My curiosity of the P&T stroller is over, and I am no longer feeling gluttonous or as though I need to find an excuse to buy/convince in laws to buy an expensive piece of baby gear.

Thanks all!

#8 of 13 Old 03-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoy2 View Post

And yeah, I already have a donated double jogger. I can't wait for Frick Park! Care to join me?

Gimme a day and time and I am on it like white on rice.

I mostly seem to use my son's old single stroller + a carrier, or the shopping cart and a carrier, depending on what I am doing. My twin stroller is a beast ... it's nice for things like the zoo, though, and will be nice for Kennywood this summer... it's a tandem, though, and I want a side-by-side jogger, too, which I will be getting for my b-day, yay... finally!

I don't think there's one perfect combination. Sometimes a tandem is ideal. Sometimes a side by side is ideal. Sometimes a single and a carrier is ideal. When I was pregnant I had delusions of wearing one on the back and one on the front - but I can say for that that that is NOT working out...

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#9 of 13 Old 03-29-2009, 01:19 PM

We have a Phil & Ted's side by side and I hate it. It's this one. It's too big to fit in the back of my minivan (and my nanny's) without putting down the back seat partially, which is impossible cause we have 3 kids in car seats. It's a PITA to get all set up, the hood on one side doesn't work right and a myriad of other things. I prefer to just wear one and push one in my Peg P3 (which I had bought for my older ds). It does do a great job if my 4yo wants to ride with one twin and I can wear the other. But, as I said, since it's too big to fit in my van, we don't exactly take it anywhere with us, just use it for walks around the neighborhood.

Denise, mama to ds1 (03/26/05) and boy/girl twins born 08/12/08
#10 of 13 Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 PM

I have the Phil and ted's inline for my 18 month old twins. So far, so good. My one twin is significantly heavier than the other so he sits in front and she sits 'underneath'. It's funny, she doesn't seem to mind riding down there....in fact, they fight over the bottom seat.

I have used so many side-by-sides strollers, Combi, Graco, Valco and they are all bulky -- then I tried the graco duoglider, eddie bauer tandem and the double snap-n-go in the beginning. I was a driving hazard with the tandems.

I truly believe there is no perfect double stroller. The in-line phil and teds seems to be working for now.
#11 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Banned

We´ve built an specif web page
http://philandtedsdoublestroller.blogspot.com/
#12 of 13 Old 08-12-2009, 02:03 AM

we love ours for dd (2.5 yrs, 30 lbs) and ds (9 mo, 27 lbs), but i can definatly see using it for twins. either carry one and push one at the beg or the seat reclined is HUGE, so both could lay together. dd loves the back seat, bc she can get in/out herself. 33lbs is pretty big...so i think it could last for several years. i also love how small the footprint is for a double stroller.

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#13 of 13 Old 08-12-2009, 02:54 AM

I have 3 friends who had them for singletons & they did not get much use out of them -- had heavy babies who got too heavy for the back seat quickly. I don't think that they make much sense for twins. One of my friends found it difficult on hills, like it kept tipping back.

I had a Mountain Buggy as a city dweller. I used it all the time for walking around our hilly San Francisco neighborhood. I rarely used the car, so it got a lot of use from when the girls were about 7 months to 19 months.

I agree with Lexbeach about their continued utility after 2 even. I still use mine with the girls at the zoo, etc and they like the Mountain Buggy.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page