How many babies do I have to breastfeed to keep my period away?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clearly 2 is not enough. I'm almost 9 weeks post partum and have gotten my period. SIGH! I'm exclusively breastfeeding so I was soo not prepared for this. There was a dip in my supply between week 4 & 5 so maybe that's what did it. But now things are back to normal and I seem to be producing enough milk because the babies are gaining weigh beautifully now. *knock on wood*

I'm curious about what others have experienced. This totally threw me for a loop.

Oh well...I got lucky with my oldest....10 months peirod free. Guess I'm not so lucky this time.

Babywearing, breastfeeding, Mother of MoMo twins and their older brother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 07:49 PM

currently at month 30
Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 PM

For me it was sleeping through the night. As soon as my kids sleep through the night, my period is back. Luckily (or not?) it's usually around 9-10m.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 04-16-2009, 10:19 PM

Why, why, why why why, why why why why why why why do the women who DON'T want periods get them... and the women who do want them get shafted???

:

Send the period vibes my way!!!

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 04-16-2009, 10:39 PM

It may not be a period. Have you heard of the Six week bleed? I had it with my first son and had it again last week with this LO, between 8 and 9 weeks. Lochia flow had stopped about a week and a half prior. With my first son, after the 6 week bleed, my period still did not return until after I stopped EPing completely between 9 and 10 months. It was about 3 weeks after that that I got my first PP period.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 AM

It was 18.5 months for me. I think also that this might not be AF just yet. Wait & see I guess!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraLe6 View Post
It may not be a period. Have you heard of the Six week bleed? I had it with my first son and had it again last week with this LO, between 8 and 9 weeks. Lochia flow had stopped about a week and a half prior. With my first son, after the 6 week bleed, my period still did not return until after I stopped EPing completely between 9 and 10 months. It was about 3 weeks after that that I got my first PP period.
Good point SaraLee. Thank you. Feeling much better about it especially now since I haven't had anymore bleeding.

However, if it is my period, I am sending plenty of period vibes to you RunnerDuck

Babywearing, breastfeeding, Mother of MoMo twins and their older brother.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 PM

I think you are the new "winner". I got mine at 6 months pp, which seemed early even for a singleton.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
Old 04-17-2009, 01:09 PM

I also think it had to do with STTN for me. She would nurse plenty throughout the day, but reach even 8hrs TTN w/o nursing.

)#%($#%*(# lol Either get a STTN baby or be period free. (And I'm talking ovulatory cycles w/ a good LP).

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 04-17-2009, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was still bleeding at 9 weeks.

Mine came back at 18mo postpartum, and it had to do with sleeping a little longer at night and eating more during the day.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 04-17-2009, 03:51 PM

last week i had all the signs of ovulation. at 7 weeks pp. not cool! my period started just under 6 weeks pp with ds and was regular from then on. hoping this time it will stay gone for a little while at least!

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
Old 04-17-2009, 04:54 PM

Saw the post off the main page and the title made me laugh... I got my period back at 11 weeks PP even though DD never slept and was EBF and never went long stretches. I had the 7 week bleed though - I then ovulated before my next PPAF right before DD turned 5 months and it's been regular ever since. Ugh. You may have a little time yet as your body regulates - mine started out far apart and started getting closer and closer together.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 04-17-2009, 06:28 PM

I didn't know that sometimes women's period cycle do get thrown off when breast feeding. That is new to me.

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:37 PM

I got my cycles back at 16 weeks with DS. I bfed on demand but thought it was because DS started sleeping through the night at 10 weeks. My cycles came every 28 days on the dot afterwards. When DD was born, I was very surprised to get my cycles back at 7 weeks. DD never slept and nursed on demand round the clock for almost 2 years. She's still nursing a few times a day at 3.5 years old. At first I was hoping it was the 6 week bleed. No such luck, AF came every 28-30 days on the dot afterwards again. I guess I should consider myself lucky that my cycles are easy to chart.

Di Linh, mama to DS1 (7), DD(4), DS2 (b 12/01/09)
Old 04-18-2009, 12:21 AM

I EBF on demand and got "phantom" periods from about 5/6 months, my daughter was still nursing tons and at LEAST every 2 hours at night then. I transitioned her to her own space at night (9 months) and with that partial night weaning (since my breathing didn't wake her up every 3 seconds but still nursing at least 2x a night) and I got my period back at about 10 months PP.

: feminist mama to DD 04/08
Old 04-18-2009, 10:17 PM

I nursed twins on demand (exclusively, until they started solids), and I got my period back when they were 2 yo - on their birthday actually.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:31 PM

Probably just the 6 week bleed. Hopefully, right? I got mine back at 6 months with the twins. I got it back at 5 months with my singleton (I thought I was early because I exclusively pumped for the first month). Luckily it was every other month for the next 6 months but then it was regular. I WISH mine would stay gone for a year or two, it would be so nice not to have to chart so I know when to load up on fenugreek. Here's hoping it stays away with this LO, but I'm not holding my breath!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 04-20-2009, 09:31 AM

i started ovulating at around 4/6 weeks pp with all of mine bar the fourth.
this time i'm clearly ovulating but having really light bleeds which confuses me a bit?? in the past i'd have 5-7 heavy days, this time it's 3/4 days light. could be loads of reasons i guess, but am nursing two pretty much at least hourly around the clock.

i love, love, love my periods :

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 AM

With my twins I got a period at 6 months, one at 7 months, and Rivka at 8 months (well, pregnant with Rivka )

With Rivka I didn't get my period back until 20 months.

Avraham Tzvi is 14 months old and counting... no period.

Ironic thing is, it was Rena who nursed the most (one of the twins) and with them the period came back the quickest.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 05-17-2009, 03:16 PM

A momma to 3 singletons, and my period came back right away (within the first month) after each of my births... Sigh. All of them were/are EBF for the first 6 mo and then as long they like after that (although while I was pg & b/f, the older 2 partially weaned until the baby was born).

We use the Fertility Awareness Method, and so I know that while my periods came back right away and kept on coming every month thereafter, I didn't actually ovulate and have a proper luteal phase until about 5-6 months post-partum. So while it's certainly far from the norm, it is well within the realm of possibility.

The Colonel's wife & momma to DS (4/2006), DD1 (8/2007), and DD2 (11/2008)
Old 05-17-2009, 03:41 PM

I only got 5 months with my singletons, nursing on demand with no supplementation.

This time, I got 11 months. Just had a cycle this past month and waiting to O again in about a week. I knew it was coming as they have been cutting back on nursing a LOT and we recently night weaned. I'm good with it, if I can have some sleep at night.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:45 PM

I got my period back right at 8 weeks with my first 2 kids I breastfed. I was pregnant again when my 3rd baby was 4 months old. Once my 4th was born I started going 8-10 months before starting a period while breastfeeding. It doesn't always keep your period at bay. This time I went 7 months which was surprising since I was in the hospital with heart failure when he was 4 days old and had to pump and dump for 3-4 days. Wasn't able to pump at all the first night there. It was awful.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 PM

I missed this thread the first time around, but for the last week or two, I was considering starting a similar thread to find out people's experiences if they have more than one pregancy + nursing to compare.

i.e., was your return to fertility delayed longer by nursing twins?

In the meantime, the inevitable happened and I got my moon back last night.

Inexplicably, (I KNOW I am nursing waaay more this time, in terms of how much milk I am making), the lactational amenorrhea lasted the same length of time after both my pregnancies. I got 10 months.

I was hoping for longer, this time. I had to scramble to find the pads!

And really, does my body SERIOUSLY think it could support a pregnancy right now, while nursing these babies? I sooooo beg to differ. Me having another pregnancy & baby right now would NOT be in the best interest of our species, as I currently am having trouble managing my emotions & handling frustration....
Old 05-19-2009, 03:59 PM

Fingers crossed here. 11 months and counting. With my singleton's I got it back around 4-5 months.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

User Tag List