"Must Have"s w/ Twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your "must have"s with twins? What did you think was total lifesavers?

Although we have 3 kids already we purposefully didn't get a lot of things so we just now got a co-sleeper and are just now thinking about getting a swing and a Moby wrap.So before I spend money I'd love to hear twin moms' input.

TIA :

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#2 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 01:45 PM

I loved my bouncy seats. I hated tandem nursing. It was just so uncomfortable for me so having bouncy seats allowed me to entertain one while nursing the other. You might want to consider a woven wrap or gauze wrap instead of the Moby just because you'll be able to use it when they are older and heavier. It nice to be able to wrap one and use a single stroller or buggy. Makes it so much easier to get around and I did that even when mine were over 2.
#3 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 02:21 PM

EZ 2 Nurse pillow. I love tandem nursing- and this makes it so easy. Use diaper pins to pin burp cloths on it under the babies' heads so you aren't constantly laundering the cover.

A nursing stool came in handy- any old stool will work.

A comfy place to sit while you nurse all. the. time.

I use a Beco now that they're older for when on gets crabby, but I don't consider it essential. A Moby is good in the beginning.

Good luck!

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#4 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 04:00 PM

I liked the EZ2 Nurse pillow even though I detested tandem nursing. I wish I'd had it with my singleton! It was great to be able to position the child(ren) however I wanted AND still have enough space to rest my book (or water bottle, or snack) on.

We bought another bouncy seat so we had two (someone gave us a seat with my daughter, but it was never used). Those came in handy for when another set of hands wasn't available.

Other than that, we didn't buy any extra stuff for the boys until they were 2 and ready to move in to toddler beds (we got another convertible crib, our first was purchased for but rarely used by my DD).

I had to use a triple stroller for awhile (my DD is 17 months older than the boys), but I downgraded to a double ASAP.

The one thing I considered essential though was a La-Z-Boy recliner. I slept/lived in that thing my last month of pregnancy (when getting into/out of bed was painful and a problem), and probably the first 4 months of the boys' life when all I did was nurse. Mine is ugly as hell but has broad arms and is wonderfully padded. When I went to the showroom, I didn't look at the styles, I parked my butt in every single model until I found The One.

And I still can cuddle with my 6 year old twins in it all these years later (or my long tall DD).

That recliner did more for me than any baby equipment! It really saved me a lot of pain! So that's my essential!
#5 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 PM

PS-

2 high chairs would take up way too much space. Get the booster seats for $25 and you can also travel with them.

#6 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 05:56 PM

The EZ2 nurse pillow, hands down. My carriers (Peanut Shell & ring sling) are a close second. If I'm going to have one or more babies on me at all times, I might as well be hands free, right.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#7 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 06:39 PM

big yes on the ez2nurse - essential. i sleep buckled into it!

also yes to slings, hands-free is key. i crisscross 2 hotslings.

i love the boppy newborn lounger, a nice soft safe spot to put one down.
#8 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 07:33 PM

hmm, my 'must haves' have been:

an amby hammock downstairs for the higher needs baby in particular, but I used for both to swap them round when they were younger (one in my arms normally feeeeeding, other in hammock. swap. swap. swap ad infinitum )

our co sleeper to give an extra bit of safe space. co sleeping gave and gives me extra lying down time. in the early days when they just fed all the way through the night i cannot even begin to imagine having to sit up and feed. but each mama finds her own vibe with her babies.

i learnt to wrap a baby on my back :

medela swing breastpump

ok, and morDHA (or equivalent high quality brand) i wish i was more on the ball with taking these, so mention them as essential
can save you from depression longterm. imo dha should be an essential recommendation like folic acid.

i have an ez2nurse and it was helpful to tandem. i'm small though and had to lean forwards which isn't great for your back. lol. it was more comfy to lie back and just hold them along my body, but harder on my arms then. so. it was good to swap between those two positions (and do my body in completely )
i still use the ez2nurse from time to time even now, but never choose tandem feeding where i can avoid it.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#9 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
hmm, my 'must haves' have been:

an amby hammock downstairs for the higher needs baby in particular, but I used for both to swap them round when they were younger (one in my arms normally feeeeeding, other in hammock. swap. swap. swap ad infinitum )

our co sleeper to give an extra bit of safe space. co sleeping gave and gives me extra lying down time. in the early days when they just fed all the way through the night i cannot even begin to imagine having to sit up and feed. but each mama finds her own vibe with her babies.

i learnt to wrap a baby on my back :

medela swing breastpump

ok, and morDHA (or equivalent high quality brand) i wish i was more on the ball with taking these, so mention them as essential
can save you from depression longterm. imo dha should be an essential recommendation like folic acid.

i have an ez2nurse and it was helpful to tandem. i'm small though and had to lean forwards which isn't great for your back. lol. it was more comfy to lie back and just hold them along my body, but harder on my arms then. so. it was good to swap between those two positions (and do my body in completely )

i still use the ez2nurse from time to time even now, but never choose tandem feeding where i can avoid it.
I've had the idea to put a boppy under the ez 2 nurse if you have smaller breasts.... to push it up higher. Do you think that'd work?

#10 of 22 Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 AM

Another vote for the EZ2nurse pillow. Love it.

Having a ring sling in the early days and two mei-teis in the later days, for double baby-wearing. (I still occasionally stick them both in the ring sling during church services and walk them in the back!)

Foundations Quad stroller, so I could go on walks with all four kids and a good double stroller for the back of the van (though sometimes it carried the stuff rather than the kids!).

We used a swing a lot, but got by with just one, and in the early days, when we were still supplementing with formula (we had preemies), a bouncy chair was helpful.

Food. Lots and lots of food. And a 32 oz. water bottle you can refill four or five times a day!
#11 of 22 Old 04-29-2009, 02:59 AM

We didn't really buy anything for our twins. A friend loaned us a second swing, those are a lifesaver for me. We had one upstairs in our bedroom and one downstairs in our living room. We also borrowed an infant car seat, which we needed.

Now that they're getting bigger, we LOVE the bumbo seats. I borrowed one to try it out and ended up buying a second. When I need to get something done, I put them both in it and a basket of toys between them. It takes about 10 minutes before they go through all the toys, so it's perfect for when I need to take a shower (dh works all. the. time. so I am left home alone with 3 kids a lot) make something quick to eat for my 4yo or load the dishwasher or something.

But, really, we got away with what we already had.

I agree with having a comfy place to sit. And, our DVR saved us this winter being stuck in the house with tiny babies (I live in MN so winter started in October!). I watched a lot more tv than I normally would or would advocate, but was stuck in the same chair literally all day long some days.

I emphatically agree on the food thing. That's probably what we needed most. EAsy to eat things cause you might only have short windows in which to heat/prepare and eat things or feed the other little ones. I had neighbors bringing me dinner for a couple of weeks, but really, we needed help with food for at least 3 months. My MIL used to come over on Saturdays with a pizza and I'd almost fall all over her with gratitude (and hunger).

Good luck to you!

Denise, mama to ds1 (03/26/05) and boy/girl twins born 08/12/08
#12 of 22 Old 04-29-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogafeet View Post
I've had the idea to put a boppy under the ez 2 nurse if you have smaller breasts.... to push it up higher. Do you think that'd work?
yes, i think it would. actually any v shaped pillow would probably work.
what a straight forward idea!!! can i excuse myself and apologise to my body for having baby brain

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#13 of 22 Old 04-29-2009, 12:40 PM

here's a post i wrote when my boys were a month old. kangaroo korner pouch, stroller/baby carrier setup, cloth diapers (my faves are now fuzzibunz, and generously-sized swaddling blankets. i would not have survived without swaddling! a swing and a bouncy chair are thing i would include as essential.

now that they're 8 months old, the needs are totally different!

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#14 of 22 Old 04-30-2009, 11:03 PM

I didn't like my EZ2Nurse pillow ... it made me seriously claustrophobic, like to the point of having panic attacks. YUCK! Of course, I don't like to tandem nurse, either, so maybe that was part of it. I preferred my Boppy instead.

Something that SAVED my tail, was having my friends bring over meals. I had someone bringing us dinner every other day for like 6 weeks. It was incredibly wonderful :. So, I'd stock the freezer, or have your friends/family set up a schedule.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#15 of 22 Old 05-01-2009, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The ergo. I used it way too early on my back just to get one baby "out of the way." Now at almost two years I still use it to "get a baby out of my way!" They are often content to just watch what is going on.

Once at the mall I had a panic attack because I couldn't find one of the "babies" (really a toddler.) It was about 7 seconds of sheer fear! And then I realized the "missing baby" was on my back. The whole thing was witnessed by a table at the food court of about 6 youngish women who were hysterically laughing at me! I do that more than I care to admit.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#16 of 22 Old 05-01-2009, 09:46 PM

ITA with the bouncy seats, I LOVED them. My twins were born premature so they used them up until they were 8 months old.

We also had a lazyboy recliner which helped me through bedrest and the months on nightime feedings. A really good nursing pillow is a must.

When we had to switch to formula I bought podee bottles, www.podee.com
DD had really bad reflux so she was able to drink upright which dramitically reduced the vomitting. I could still hold her but I did allow her to have one feed a day in her bouncy seat while feeding DS.

I had these light projection mobiles which were a lifesaver they loved to watch the light spinning around as babies so it was very easy to put them to bed in their cribs.
#17 of 22 Old 05-01-2009, 11:51 PM

What I used:

EZ2 Nurse Pillow with a boppy on top
Swing and bouncie seat (one of each)
Cosleeper (which was also used as baby jail later)
Lots and lots and lots of gates because mobile babies go in different directions
Hop and Pop to replace swing and bouncer later
Soft back pack similar to a Beco
Ring sling

Annnnnd, that's pretty much it except for car seats and boobies. I am minimalistic, to say the least but that's all we really needed. I bought everything used. I just NOW put Ben into a crib. Claire is still co-sleeping because she won't transition and I'm not going to force her.

ETA: cannot believe I forgot my stroller. I have a double stadium graco that I. just. adore. I wear a baby and put the two year old and the other baby in it when the kids and I go walking.
#18 of 22 Old 05-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Okay, what I found essential was......

a good pillow for tandem nursing (I used the EZ2Nurse pillow as mentioned by many.) I recommend having two covers (even if you layer burp cloths/blankets on it as recommended) and using the belt. I thought the belt was useless because it slipped all the time and didn't hold tight, but I think that was because I somehow "stripped" it or something early on. Postpartum, I still had belly sticking out there for awhile when I was upright (it would fall flat and wrinkly if I were lying back) and I guess moving or shifting with the babies on the pillow pulled at the buckle lock enough times and left it slippy so it just wouldn't stay tight. Then I switched covers after some sort of devastating poop/spitty thing and wonder of wonders, the second cover worked RIGHT and suddenly the pillow worked so much better for me! It was nice and snug and stayed that way! Anyway, that was my experience. Eventually the same thing happened to the belt/buckle on the second cover, because I would shimmy a bit once they were asleep and try to hoist them from the pillow onto Boppies on the bed, hoping for a successful transfer. Once they were in the 15 to 17 pound range, this was a lost cause (the baby still on the double pillow would wake from all the lunging on my part, and the baby I was moving would wake because there was nothing subtle about the maneuver) and once I felt the buckle slip during this and it hasn't held since then.

(Eventually I went with two Boppies on each side of me, with the twins in double football hold, when I was completely trapped in the EZ2Nurse pillow with no way out because the babies were too heavy to maneuver simply.)

4 Miracle Blankets. More would have been nice, even. (Just because of the laundry issue and newborn poo.....mine were swaddled a lot and odds were that somebody would get poo on their clothes and blanket. Nice to have a little more time before you HAD to do laundry to get the blankets back.) These blankets worked so well for my babies, and it is nice to have a quick & fool-proof swaddle when you have two babies eager to nurse (i.e., screaming) and you are trying to wrap them up.

I actually bought a white noise machine and I do still use it (it sounds like a tropical rainforest where we sleep.) This is helpful if you have older children around the home, and it just really helped to be more forgiving if one baby woke before the other....I had a little bit of time to get to him and whisk him away without his twin waking, if the white noise was going.

We bought a swing this time....and ended up getting the second swing (that I thought we wouldn't need.) This was great when I needed them to nap in different spaces (one baby would fall asleep but the other wouldn't, so I'd take the awake twin downstairs and he'd eventually go into the swing and sleep there, and I didn't risk waking baby A by trying to get baby B back in the same room after he was asleep. And we had one swing upstairs in the bedroom...there was a period early on when one or the other slept in the swing at night and sometime for naps. This let me nurse them individually (lying down) at night which was a lifesaver. So for me, the two swings were must-haves. I also used the downstairs (kitchen) swing in the evening, either during dinner or while I was cooking. Depending on the situation. We usually had one baby at a time who was happy to hang out there and watch everything, and my husband could hold the other one. The swing worked well when bouncies didn't always.

We had an infant-to-toddler rocker (Fisher-Price, like a bouncy seat but can be used longer) with my older daughter, and we got a pair to use with the twins. I like that even though they are not using it now since they are mobile, they will again (when they start walking and can get in and out of chairs safely), which is what my daughter did. She still uses hers as a rocking chair/seat (she's 5) which is why we didn't co-opt it for the babies and just get one seat. One is still in the box, though, because I found I didn't need both seats. (But they can both have rockers later, if they want.)

I really like our stroller but didn't use it until later, and it's probably not a must-have (the high end aspect of it, I mean. Nice, and now that I have it it feels essential, but I'd probably deal with whatever configuration I had.)

I did use a double snap 'n go stroller when they were in two buckets, which I only really realized would be helpful once I tried to get out on my own with them. There are other ways to deal, though, so I wouldn't call it essential. It was a lifesaver for me, but that was partly my situation.
#19 of 22 Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyC View Post
I thought the belt was useless because it slipped all the time and didn't hold tight, but I think that was because I somehow "stripped" it or something early on. Postpartum, I still had belly sticking out there for awhile when I was upright (it would fall flat and wrinkly if I were lying back) and I guess moving or shifting with the babies on the pillow pulled at the buckle lock enough times and left it slippy so it just wouldn't stay tight. Then I switched covers after some sort of devastating poop/spitty thing and wonder of wonders, the second cover worked RIGHT and suddenly the pillow worked so much better for me! It was nice and snug and stayed that way! Anyway, that was my experience.
See, my buckle has always done that. I've only used it 2 or 3 times, and just looped the strap back through again to make it hold.

As for a stroller, I have a double and we do use it, but I end up slinging one baby while the other rides, and the extra seat ends up being storage. At this point, I could easily get away with a single stroller.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#20 of 22 Old 05-05-2009, 02:38 PM

Definitely a good recliner!

Also, I had two ring slings, which were great! When they were still tiny, I would put them both in one, but as they got bigger, it would be a normal thing to see me at the grocery store with one baby on my back, the other one on my front, and their big brother in the seat of the shopping cart. That was the only way I could get my shopping done without help.

Something else my girls loved was (I forget the actual name for the thing) was the jumper thing that you hang from the top of a doorframe. I would put one in the exer-saucer, the other in the jumper, and they would be happy long enough for me to get some housework done. When they started to fuss, I could switch them, they'd be happy again, and it would almost double my cleaning time.
#21 of 22 Old 05-05-2009, 02:55 PM

That's really smart Bekah! Wish I'd thought to do that!
#22 of 22 Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 AM

Carriers. I've used Mobys, ringslings and MeiTais.
A good recliner with a footstool.
And next to the recliner I had a little rocking infant crib.
Also a container, like this, with a water bottle, book, magazines, phone, tv and DVR remote, snacks, cloth diapers (can be used for so much) etc. Everything I might need during a few hours of nursing when that happened.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page