when they woth want to be held... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-29-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what do you do? mine are ~10lbs each and double slinging is getting too precarious. i have 2 ergos, 2 hotslings, suggestions? it kills me to have one down crying... i think i need to finally figure out the ergo... wish i had an extra pair of arms....
#2 of 10 Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 PM

I haven't had anyone weighed recently, but I'm guessing mine are about 12-13 lbs each and no longer fit in the sling together...so, I put on a wrap on the front, get first baby in and then a becco on the back... here is a pic from our first attempt at this http://www.flickr.com/photos/32908180@N08/3417240843/ Sometimes I even just get one strapped on the front and football hold the other as long as my arm can stand it. You could also just put one on the back and hold the one on the front.

Good luck mama!

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
#3 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 02:45 AM

It's this cool thing called "twin arms" that I totally didn't believe in and was absolutely not a myth. I have the strongest, buffest arms and can carry both of my one year olds with no issues. Well, my lower back would possibly disagree but I just smack it around and tell it to shut up.

Seriously though, at this point I am carrying one and wearing the other on my back in a soft carrier. And there is just more crying with twins. There just is.
#4 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 06:28 AM

i generally put one on my back in a wrap and hold one in my hands or if it's for a quick fix i hold them under their arms facing out and lug them around like that

mine are still didy (small), but so am i my arm muscles are working overtime to compensate for my weak core!

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#5 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Mine are 20 and 18 lbs, I think, haven't weighed them recently. I put them both in a MT. I pretie the waist of the MT going on my back, then get Little Miss on front (she refuses to ride on my back) and then get Bug on my back. I do that also if I need to take my 4yo somewhere in the neighborhood and don't feel like using the stroller. Or sometimes I will just hold both in arms, we go and sit on the couch or something and snuggle, or a combination of both. I do wrap a bit, but Little Miss is a "leaner" and will try to wiggle her way out of the wrap when I bend down to put Bug on my back and I'm afraid she'll fall out. So....I use a very high MT for her to keep her exactly where I want her. I have a full buckle carrier on the way, and am hoping that makes getting Bug on my back a bit quicker.

I do agree, though, that my arms are getting much stronger just by scooping both up at once and getting us situated on the couch or bed or whatever.

Denise, mama to ds1 (03/26/05) and boy/girl twins born 08/12/08
#6 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When my sons were a year old - and about 25 pounds each - I still carried them together for short distances (my back finally put a stop to that). But I figured if I went to bards and arm-wrestled for money, I could pay for their college!

I actually DID arm-wrestle a male friend, who was at the time a news cameraman (the guy in the field, not in the studio). He was used to lugging around a ton of camera equipment. He beat me, but I made him sweat! He was incredibly impressed.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#7 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
It's this cool thing called "twin arms" that I totally didn't believe in and was absolutely not a myth. I have the strongest, buffest arms and can carry both of my one year olds with no issues. Well, my lower back would possibly disagree but I just smack it around and tell it to shut up.

Seriously though, at this point I am carrying one and wearing the other on my back in a soft carrier. And there is just more crying with twins. There just is.
Yeah, pretty much all of that for me (only we're now past that stage and sadly I've lost my super awesome buff twin arms).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#8 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 02:43 PM

If you're just looking for a "comfort while crying" carry, and not a "get other things done" carry, I don't think anything can beat just using your arms. I get them standing (or sitting, or lying) facing me, and just scoop them up, one hand under each, and then, once they're snug against me (front of them to front of me), hold them with my arms crossed over both of them. That way I can link my hands, or grip my left elbow with right hand and right elbow with left hand, to keep my grip on them both. Then bounce, sway, walk as normal!

I love the buff twin arms too. Though these days, I'm doing the 30 Day Shred DVD every day, which is supplementing the twin-lifting, and making the twin-lifting easier!
#9 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 08:13 PM

Amen to that! I have been doing yoga three times a week for over a month and I notice that lifting them both no longer makes my arms burn. It rocks!
#10 of 10 Old 05-03-2009, 12:17 AM

Mine are 8 now, but I always scooped up one and then the other. 70% of the time I held them and carried them at the same time. It seemed like second nature after a while.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page