Milestones - one last zygoticity question (hopefully!) Save me the test money! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 05-04-2009, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When my girls were at their very first pedi appointment, my DH asked their doctor whether they were identical or fraternal (same sex, one placenta). The Dr. said they were of course fraternal, but that we should save our money and just wait and see if they look alike after a year or so.

Well, now they're 15 months old. Same hair, same eyes, They hit all their milestones at exactly the same time (sitting, rolling, crawling, walking). We get asked by strangers if they're identical all the time. Now, if DH's siblings had been born at the same time I'd swear they were identical too.

I'm just about convinced they are fraternal. They have subtlety different face shapes - one's round and one's rectangular. There's always been a 1-2 lb weight difference, from birth onwards. But other than that they are almost exactly the same size (head, foot, height, etc.) Oh and they have very different personalities. I can hear them from another room and usually know which baby is which.

How common is it for fraternal twins to share developmental milestones?

I'm too cheap for the test but want to stop wondering!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#2 of 43 Old 05-04-2009, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWIW, mine a boy/girl twins and we're asked constantly by strangers if they're identical--so I wouldn't let that fact sway your opinion at all. People don't really know what "identical" means. Also, MZ does not mean they'd have the same personality. For example, my DC has two good friends who are MZ. Different weights, very different personalities, easy (now) for me to tell them apart even from behind--but they're definitely identical.

Twins can weigh different, look slightly different and still be identical. I'd look at each of them--a photo might be easier than in person--and compare just their features one by one. Same eyes? Same nose? etc. If their features are all identical, then the weight and head shape don't matter as much.

Also, one placenta would mean they're MZ, two placentas fused could mean MZ or DZ. Two placentas doesn't necessarily mean frat. Did the hospital tell you if they thought the placentas were fused?
#3 of 43 Old 05-04-2009, 04:20 PM

Will you post a picture? I am at the same place as you. Sometimes I really think they are identical, and other times, I think it's very clear they are fraternal. I think this picture shows my girls looking fraternal, but I would like an answer, and I'm too cheap as well to get the test!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24521715@N05/3500579013/
I think I just posted that picture mostly to exercise my new found skill of posting pics!
#4 of 43 Old 05-04-2009, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mamaeliz, I'd say your girls look an awful lot a like. And adorable! My guess would be identical. We should just shell out for the test and know for sure.

Don't know whether our placenta was fused or not, our midwives spent a while checking it out, but no one mentioned one way or another.

Here's a fuzzy picture of my girls from their baptism a few months ago:

http://gallery.me.com/williamisnow#1...&bgcolor=black

Izzy's got her hand in front of her face so it's a little hard to tell. But they look pretty different to me. Spring Lily, I like the photo idea, I might try that!

Thanks for navel gazing with me! I know it doesn't really matter, but it's just one of those mysteries that keeps me thinking.

Update: OK, I checked out some more pictures. Mamaeliz, your girls are identical. Mine are not. Tomorrow I may think otherwise . . .

#5 of 43 Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 PM

Gena, To me, your girls look pretty identical in that photo! Have you called your midwives to ask abotu the placenta? If it's just one, that solves the riddle for you. Mamaeliz' girls look like they might be but it's hard to tell from just that one photo.

But you know what they say....if you have to ask, they're probably identical!
#6 of 43 Old 05-04-2009, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Gena, I agree with those that said MZ twins can look and act different.

My boys are definitely MZ (shared a placenta and chorion - no doubt whatsoever). But one has a birthmark on his temple; the other has a birthmark on his tummy. B was born with long hair; J was almost bald. People have always said that their faces are shaped differently. And I could tell their voices apart from the other room by the time they were 6 months old.

My boys cut their first tooth on the same day, but did not crawl or walk at the same time.

Here they are at 9 months:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y/21MONTHS.jpg

and at 3 years:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tage/3YEAR.jpg

Look at things like the shape of their eyes, ears, noses, and feet; ears are almost as individual as fingerprints. And look at fingerprints too! While they won't be exactly the same, I know that my boys tend to have whorls on the same fingers, and swirls on the same fingers, in most cases. Not exactly the same, but similar.

Having two placentas cannot rule out MZ twins; the only thing (other than genetic testing) that can rule it out if they don't share any membranes is if they are opposite gender.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#7 of 43 Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 PM

you guys just have to test to know - it's like the am i /aren't i preg. with twins. ??? only way to know for sure is ultrasound. if you want to know mz/dz you got to test

so.......let us know soon, yeah

i'd say mamaeliz's yes and gena's no; but i reserve the right to change my mind and agree with the dna results

i'd go crazy not knowing!

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#8 of 43 Old 05-04-2009, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
you guys just have to test to know - it's like the am i /aren't i preg. with twins. ??? only way to know for sure is ultrasound. if you want to know mz/dz you got to test
Yeah, I know you're right. I always chuckle at those threads. In fact, it's like writing one of those threads is proof that you're NOT having twins, and in my case, that they're NOT identical. I was just holding out about the shared milestone thing saving me the test.

Don't really have the spare money right now, you know? But it's worth finding out. 15 months of doubting is enough. I'll start saving up. You too Mamaeliz!

If for nothing else, I'd like to have a less lame answer when people ask! Somehow telling folks on the street that we don't know if they are identical or not seems so negligent!

#9 of 43 Old 05-04-2009, 08:31 PM

Definitely get the test. I think often the parents' judgment is skewed, especially as the babies get older, because the more you know them and their facial expressions and personalities, the easier it is for you to see the differences. Strangers and friends who don't see them every day are often a better judge of MZ vs DZ, I think! I always thought in my heart that my girls were MZ - because of a weird premonition I had while pregnant (and I am *so* not a believes-in-weird-premonitions kinda gal) but I would look at them and see the differences and not know. Meanwhile, at least once a day someone stops me to say "OMG, those are the most identical twins I have ever seen!"

In the pic you posted in this thread, it's hard to tell anything since you can't see the full faces. But in the pic in the "shameless" thread, I totally think they are MZ. Maybe you should ask for the test as a Mother's Day gift?

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#10 of 43 Old 05-04-2009, 08:57 PM

I was convinced my neighbor's twins were frat. They had separate everything, including placentas. They looked so different at birth and thereafter. Anyway, grandma paid for the test - they're identical! Now, as preschoolers, they are still enough different to believe they're brothers or identical twins.
What are your and your dh's blood types? Is there a point to blood typing? If you're both O type, there's no point in testing, but if dh is AB and you're O, there's a chance an Eldon card might answer your question.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#11 of 43 Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 PM

You MZ twin mamas crack me up. You post these photos and I think "uh, DUH, of course they're identical!" They sure look alike to me. That 3 year photo completely looks the same deadhead!

My friend Sara is on here occasionally and swears she's not sure if Willa and Glory are identical. I've known them a year and I STILL have to ask her every time which is which.
#12 of 43 Old 05-05-2009, 02:20 AM

Both sets look MZ to me - but you really can't tell by looking. My set is MZ, and some days they look completely different and some days are what we in our house call "identical days". Sometimes they just wake up looking like identical twins!

FWIW, my MZ twins hit their milestones (including teeth-cutting) within days of each other, and have birthmarks in different places. So . . . could be either!

I agree, it's a lot like the "could I have twins?" posts! The similarity cracks me up! (Not making fun - if I didn't have momo's and hadn't tested, I'd totally wonder "MZ or not?" too!)
#13 of 43 Old 05-05-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
You MZ twin mamas crack me up. You post these photos and I think "uh, DUH, of course they're identical!"
This reminds me of when we got our zygosity test results. I was all excited to finally have an answer and called my best friend to tell her. I believe her very articulate reply was "Um, yeah...."

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#14 of 43 Old 05-05-2009, 10:58 AM

Okay, is everyone SURE that they didn't mix up who is who??? I think Gena's girls look identical, and I think (at least in this photo), that my girls look fraternal. But I'm with Gena on the "lame answer" I give people that I don't really know. I know we had a fused placenta, but I know they potentially could still be MZ. I think my next step is finding out blood type.
But now I guess I see the fun in those threads asking if we all think someone is carrying twins.
#15 of 43 Old 05-05-2009, 01:15 PM

I think it's really weird that you said that the doc said there was only 1 placenta so of course they are fraternal. Did I read that right cuz that's totally backwards! Anyway, w/o even seeing the picture I could tell you that yours are MZ! All you MZ mom's sound alike before you know. You're so sure they're different but everything you described fits perfectly into the category of MZ twins. Get the test! You're making me nuts!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#16 of 43 Old 05-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post
This reminds me of when we got our zygosity test results. I was all excited to finally have an answer and called my best friend to tell her. I believe her very articulate reply was "Um, yeah...."
Same here!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#17 of 43 Old 05-05-2009, 02:05 PM

Both sets of twins looked MZ to me in the pics. My girls are 5 now, and we still haven't had them tested. Probably won't either... they were the exact (to the gram!) same weight at birth, with matching "strawberry patch" birthmarks on the back of their necks, hit all their milestones (teeth, crawling, walking, etc) within days of each other, the list goes on and on.

All that said, they had separate placentas and separate sacs. Some days, and sometimes in pictures, they look totally different. Then other days, even their dad and I have trouble telling them apart.
#18 of 43 Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaeliz View Post
But I'm with Gena on the "lame answer" I give people that I don't really know.
How about answering with "What do you think?", and agreeing with whatever they say? It might be easier than sparking a long discussion about whether or not they are MZ or DZ.

#19 of 43 Old 05-05-2009, 02:54 PM

People don't even know what identical is, in my experience. INTELLIGENT people I know have asked me if my twins are identical. Despite that fact that one is pink and one is blue they look NOTHING alike and Claire is almost two inches taller than Ben with a completely different build.
#20 of 43 Old 05-06-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_deadhead View Post
My boys cut their first tooth on the same day, but did not crawl or walk at the same time.

and at 3 years:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...tage/3YEAR.jpg

My boys cut teeth within days of each other, but Adam tends to lag behind on milestones ..... Thomas has been walking for about 2 weeks or more.

BTW ... I NEVER get tired of looking at that baseball picture! It's adorable, and I'm picturing my boys there in a few years!

I think my boys look somewhat different, and their personalities are very individual!

I'd have to save up the money, or sell something, and get the test!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#21 of 43 Old 05-06-2009, 03:05 AM

Dianna! You're another one who's boys look an AWFUL lot alike. In fact, didn't I just read over on your blog that you didn't know which boy Abby had photographed????
#22 of 43 Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 AM

Here are my untested girls, whom we're pretty sure are MZ... the pics aren't in any kind of order.

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...view=slideshow
#23 of 43 Old 05-06-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaK View Post
My boys cut teeth within days of each other, but Adam tends to lag behind on milestones ..... Thomas has been walking for about 2 weeks or more.

BTW ... I NEVER get tired of looking at that baseball picture! It's adorable, and I'm picturing my boys there in a few years!

I think my boys look somewhat different, and their personalities are very individual!

I'd have to save up the money, or sell something, and get the test!
Thanks - and I think they keep getting better looking all the time )though looking less alike):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...2/BigMt014.jpg

#24 of 43 Old 05-06-2009, 11:28 AM

I was convinced that mine were fraternal: one square face, one round face, different personalities, slightly different milestones, etc. But DNA confirmed they are MZ. And they really are so alike, except to those who know them best. Ours "shared" a placenta but not sure if it was shared or two merged.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...9/DSC00659.jpg

ETA: Admire their nice hair. A couple weeks ago, older DD hacked it off. They now have matching boy cuts

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#25 of 43 Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Stylish hair cuts, Mama Rabbit!

Saw your post about cutting fingernails on another forum. Your sweet DC lined up on the couch like that, all I can think of is SO MANY FINGERNAILS!

#26 of 43 Old 05-06-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
I was convinced that mine were fraternal: one square face, one round face, different personalities, slightly different milestones, etc. But DNA confirmed they are MZ. And they really are so alike, except to those who know them best. Ours "shared" a placenta but not sure if it was shared or two merged.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...9/DSC00659.jpg

ETA: Admire their nice hair. A couple weeks ago, older DD hacked it off. They now have matching boy cuts
They're adorable! Also, I think they definitely look MZ.
#27 of 43 Old 05-06-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
Dianna! You're another one who's boys look an AWFUL lot alike. In fact, didn't I just read over on your blog that you didn't know which boy Abby had photographed????
sometimes, yup, I have a hard time telling them apart! They go thru growth spurts, then it throws me for a bit.
I did have to ask Abby which baby she took pics of ... it ended up being Thomas --- I seriously couldn't tell!

It's funny, now, when I go back and look at pics of them when they are tiny, and I can spot the differences right away. My husband thinks I'm nuts! We marked their initials on their feet for a long, long time!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#28 of 43 Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_deadhead View Post
Thanks - and I think they keep getting better looking all the time )though looking less alike):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...2/BigMt014.jpg
Yee hah! That's another picture that I love! They are such handsome young men!!
You'd better tell me that they still LOVE their momma! :

#29 of 43 Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 PM

(oops, double post!)

#30 of 43 Old 05-06-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post

Hey, boy cuts are in! You have BEAUTIFUL children!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page