So...pregnant with twins....what to expect different from the singletons? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I realize I'm 21wks and both babes are measuring 21wks via u/s and since I just found out I've obviously been doing *something* right, but what should I expect? How should my diet differ from that of my singletons as these munchkins get bigger??

Anything you can tell me about how a twin pg differs from a singleton I'd love to know!

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#2 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome Tamika! Can't compare twin pg to a singleton one, since I've only had twins. Congrats, it sounds like you're doing really well! But you're right at the stage where your protein needs will increase. Eat well, "make every bite count" and make sure you're getting enough water too.

Also, watch your activity level. For some multiple moms, staying active isn't a problem. Which is awesome. But you want to really be in touch with your body and not ignore signs of preterm labor. Take it easy.

Hope you can enjoy it!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#3 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 11:08 PM

: to everything Gena said.

I also found out at 20 weeks and I made it a goal to gain at least 40 pounds for my pregnancy. I managed to do just that! I did make every bite count and really focused on both protein and water. I also took it VERY easy from about 28 weeks on (stopped the kids extracurricular activities, let the house go, didn't do a lot of running around) and from 33-36 weeks I went on a very modified bed rest. I had someone at my house every day taking care of my older four and making meals. I slept a lot and rested on the couch. I really contribute that with carrying them to 39 weeks. I had a few runs of scary, really intense contractions around 32-33 weeks and my midwife strongly recommended that I take it WAAAAY easier than I was. Afterward, while I still had contractions daily they were much less intense and definitely more braxton hicks.

Expect to be hungier, more thirsty, more tired, and needing more rest. Expect that the pelvic pressure at the end will be intense. Expect that you will possibly have a pubic separation. Expect that you will probably be crankier and more moody than regular end of pregnancy. Expect to have more fears concerning the birth and make a good attempt at working through those so they don't hinder you. Expect to have to stay open to mode of birth--sometimes they chose a different method than you'd like.

I had my babies at home but some women choose to have their twins in hospital even if they've had a previous home birth. There is no 'right' answer. I also had an unhindered breech birth.

The journey to my twins was very simply amazing and transformative.
#4 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Gena! I was thinking about the protein part......is so hard because I get filled up so quick (as I'm sure is totally common!) I feel like I'm eating all day! LOL

Tamika
#5 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Intertwined - I have no choice on the home/hospital birth where I live. I cannot even get midwifery care with twins (wasn't able to as a singleton either - they were booked).

As for the activity level - I totally plan that - once School is out in June we are headed to my parents to hang out with nothing to do but enjoy summer and camping.

I'm getting to the hungry/thirsty all the time and I already feel soooooooo full in my pelvis, but one babe is VERY low so that isn't helping!

Thank you for the btdt info! This is going to be quite different after having had 3 very easy pregnancies previously!

Tamika
#6 of 14 Old 05-07-2009, 11:23 AM

I don't know if anyone's mentioned Elizabeth Noble's book yet, but I found that helpful with the eating thing. I actually made a little chart to try to check off every day that I'd eaten enough of the right foods! I never quite made it, but I ate more protein keeping track like that than I would have otherwise.

Don't know if I can help you with the rest, as I had an abnormal twin pregnancy. But yes: thirsty and tired! So drink and rest. And eat. :
#7 of 14 Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM

My SIL (with 4 year old MZ girls) and I (triplets) both had real trouble getting enough protein and we were the queens of protein bars and protein smoothies, adding protein powder to everything.

I used the nutrition guidlines in Barabara Luke's book.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#8 of 14 Old 05-07-2009, 01:03 PM

If I were having a hospital birth with twins I for sure would hire a doula. She was KEY to my home birth and I wouldn't have wanted to do it at hospital without her.
#9 of 14 Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Vanauken- I have one of those things for breastfeeding Mums - I keep forgetting to put my food on it! LOL

I just got in touch with a doula in our area - so I'm hoping I can meet with her soon!

I will check if our library has that book or can get it in!

Tamika
#10 of 14 Old 05-07-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hergrace View Post
My SIL (with 4 year old MZ girls) and I (triplets) both had real trouble getting enough protein and we were the queens of protein bars and protein smoothies, adding protein powder to everything.

I used the nutrition guidlines in Barabara Luke's book.
Oh my goodness, I think it was Dr. Luke's book I was thinking of, NOT Dr. Nobles. Forgive me - twin-brain!
#11 of 14 Old 05-07-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanauken View Post
Oh my goodness, I think it was Dr. Luke's book I was thinking of, NOT Dr. Nobles. Forgive me - twin-brain!

Tamika: They are both excellent books. I found "Having Twins And More: A Parent's Guide to Multiple Pregnancy, Birth, and Early Childhood" by Elizabeth Noble inspiring and "When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads, Revised Edition: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy" by Barbara Luke and Tamara Eberlein more tangible in the context of my pretty clinically managed pregnancy.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#12 of 14 Old 05-08-2009, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

I should check if my girlfriend has either of those - she delivered triplets at 35wks perfectly healthy with very little supplemental care required....

Tamika
#13 of 14 Old 05-09-2009, 05:58 AM

The main changes I made after 2 singletons and then twins A) paying attention to getting more protein and calories, B) having a weight gain goal of 50 lb, C) knowing around 30 weeks I would need way more help as my energy levels dropped.

I based the weight gain not just on the books I read, but by noticing how many twins came early if moms gained 35lb or less. And I knew from reading here that around 30 weeks was when I'd really have to start taking it easy. And right around 31 was when I noticed more contractions if I did too much.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#14 of 14 Old 05-09-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

I will keep that weight gain in mind! I noticed a bit of a jump at my last visit - not much, but I'm up to about 18lb now. More than I would have been with my singletons, so that is good at least. I am trying now to pay attention to the protein - more meals that include it etc.

I'm looking forward to a summer with *nothing* to do but hang out with the kids at the lake so hopefully that will help with the taking it easy part.

Tamika

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page