Mothering Forum banner

Talk to me about harnesses/leashes

779 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Free Thinker 
#1 ·
I cannot believe I am asking about this, but we are taking out twins and other two to the zoo soon and I am thinking they won't be happy in the stroller the entire time.

PS, no flames please.

See less See more
#3 ·
i'd say it depends how your children are. i had one child no way i could have him out and about without reins (as we call them in the uk) and i remember being scoffed at, but even when he was 5 and i was no longer using them beause of his size, he nearly got run over

if i had two like that
:

#4 ·
there were some really big threads on this on the Gentle Discipline Forum recently. Suprisingly, the overwhelming response what that if you use them respectfully (i.e. don't drag your kids around by the leash) and the child isn't opposed to wearing one, then there's nothing wrong with them.
There were some really good arguments presented, like strollers are extremely limiting of their freedom, and hand holding can really hurt after a while (holding your arm over your head isn't comfortable).

I say use them.
Go check out those threads if you want to feel better about it and have some good reasoning to back you up too.

#5 ·
I think I would have to consider the older two kids and how well they do with listening to limits. If you can fairly well trust them to stick around, then I would be inclined to take one of the boys out of the stroller at a time and let them try to hold on to the side and walk along, or pick them up to lift them to see something. You have to be able to stick to the limits as well, however, by saying "you have to hold on the stroller or ride in the stroller, those are the only choices" or "right now it's your brother's turn, your turn will be in a minute".
In my experience with twins that age they can learn to walk with a hand over their hand holding the side of the stroller and after a while the stroller becomes a break from the work of walking. (I think I would practice this before the zoo though.) With a harness or two I just picture them pulling you in two directions, crying a lot and the stroller being ditched somewhere because you can't roll it, be pulled by them, have stuff, watch the animals and help the older two to have a decent time.
Is your zoo incredibly busy? I would make sure to go when they first open so that there aren't as many other people there as well.

#6 ·
I also have harnessess for the kids and I have used them once. You actually have to teach them to walk in them - they were used to just running and with the harnesses they couldn't. I was pushing the stroller holding on to one end, and they would just run, get pulled back and fall. After two seconds I took them off, ditched the stroller (it was on the way to daycare, I picked it up on the way home) and off they went. Unless they really know how to walk while being "held on to", at the zoo by yourself I wouldn't recommend it. It did work well when DH had one child and I had another at an arts fair, but I would not use them by myself. That's just my two cents.

#7 ·
I havne't been to this zoo in probably 15+years, so I have no idea how busy it will be, we are going on a Sunday afternoon. I think that if we have the harnesses we can let the boys get out of the stroller and walk around more. Lately they are starting to HATE being in the stroller more than 20 minutes or so, and no they will not mind well enough to hold on or stop when asked. They are 17 months old and BUSY! I am not worried about my 6 year old, but my 4 year old does get tired easily and if I had a harness I could let her ride a while and let one of hte boys walk. Also we took our first to a zoo (not this one) when she was about this age and we had a stroller. She wouldln't stay in it and got out at each exhibit. After about 30 minutes we stopped putting her in and out and just had her walk, ride on shoulders, ect. It was fun. I will not be leashing my kdis all over town, this is for a vacation. We are also going to Six Flags (Yes, I am crazy) and I am thinking the harnesses will be handy there, too. I was hoping to get some ideas of ones htat are more comfortable and less leash-like. I have never owned one and while I do think they could be abused, I am over it. It's a safety thing and I am sure my twins will enjoy being on a harness more than stuck in a stroller
To each his own, I do see both sides of the issue.
Thanks

#8 ·
I used them here and there - the kind that look like a little backpack in an animal shape. My kids love them and think they're so cute and fun. I will caution you that they aren't really foolproof if you have serious bolters, or if they're not super-steady walkers. You can end up accidentally pulling them down when the leash pulls a little tight.

#9 ·
I have a singleton and then twins 18 months apart - all girls. i take the double stroller and two mei tai's wherever I go. I also take a long piece of grow grain ribbon with three loops tied into it. It's sparkle purple - thier favorite color. If the want to walk they hold a spot on the ribbon. If they do not listen they go back in the stroller. They have been FABULOUS with this and everyone complies. I want to respect their desire to walk - but it gives them something to focus on so they don't wander and the oldest keepest the smaller twins in line. We go grocery shoping like this a lot now b/c can't put three in a cart and still accomplish purchasing many groceries. We're doing the zoo on Sunday and i'm bringing the sparkle ribbon!

#10 ·
Thanks Mamas! I looked up the threads in GD and then googled to find the monkey packs. I got them ordered from Target and will start letting them use them maybe this weekend to get used to them. I really think that for my boys this will be better than spending the entire day in a stroller. I will still take the stroller, but this will give them more freedom to roam! DH will be with me, too, since this is a family vacation, so he will have one boy an I will have the other. MOnkeys will be cute b/c I am planning to get allt he kids monkey shirts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.