Do other MoMs watch Jon and Kate + 8? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 05-30-2009, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is not about the tabloid headlines -- truly a multiples question.

Do you, as a parent of twins/trips/more, watch the show? I have tried, but I can't. So many of my friends (with singletons or no kids) LOVE LOVE LOVE it. But I don't. Watching it stresses me out and I find it isn't, well, entertaining. I can't put it into words, but I just have never been able to sit through an entire episode (and I can't say the same thing about the Duggars ).

So this morning, the CBC was doing a ton on the story (doesn't the CBC have bigger stories to be focusing on?) and they had a woman on who was a multiple childbirth educator and mother of twins. She said she has never felt comfortable watching the show (and a lot of other interesting things -- relating their situation to the Dionne quintuplets display, etc.).

So -- at least I wasn't alone. And I wondered what other parents of multiples thought of it. Do you watch the show? Why? If not, why not?

Re: my own lack of interest in it... before I had twins, I was fascinated with them -- would stare at the MZ girls who came to the library time when I brought my DS. But now -- I go out of my way NOT to stare at any twins. Not to look. To give that mom space and as much normal-ness as possible. And I wonder if that attraction to twins (and sextuplets) is gone now that I am a member of the club? Hmmm... Or maybe my own reality can be so hard at times (although getting easier all the time), why would I spend time watching someone else's multiple reality show?

Just curious!
#2 of 23 Old 05-30-2009, 09:57 AM

I have been watching J & K for a long time. Honestly, I tuned in to watch Kate being a shrew. I was definitely interested in seeing the sextuplets... I think I started watching before I was pregnant.....

I don't find it stressful. It actually makes me feel better that my hands are not as full. I think about how much easier life would have been for them had they stopped after the twins.

Now I feel so bad for those kids. It's a modern day freak show in a sense. So sad.

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#3 of 23 Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 AM

Can't really watch it. My life is so different that it is hard to relate. Yeah, they have more kids, but overall I'm in a different place in my life. I work outside the home full time, DH works full time and is in school. I try to be as attached as possible, and I see so little attachment there.

So no, I don't watch it. LOTS of people ask me if I do though...

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#4 of 23 Old 05-30-2009, 11:21 AM

I've got no interest in the show. TV to me should not be stressful to watch, and I think this would be terribly stressing to me. Heck, I have a hard time watching movies during akward, stressful scenes, and tend to look away.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#5 of 23 Old 05-30-2009, 01:21 PM

I used to watch it quite a bit. We don't have cable now and haven't for some time so it's not an option. I got a little disgusted, honestly. She's got TWO more kids than me and so. much. help. Yes, when you've got SIX babies you need help. I totally get that. But they aren't babies any more. I read she's got two HE washers and two dryers. Amazingly I get all our laundry done (MOUNTAINS!) in our regular old top loader. She just seems really spoiled and then whines about how hard and chaotic it is. Come live my life, friend.
#6 of 23 Old 05-30-2009, 02:47 PM

I've watched it a time or two. Mostly felt like saying "thank goodness I only have twins!!!" But, honestly, I thought it was boring. I have watched other shows on TLC/DHC that feature multiples on occasion and thought they were more interesting.

Denise, mama to ds1 (03/26/05) and boy/girl twins born 08/12/08
#7 of 23 Old 05-30-2009, 05:59 PM

I don't watch it. I watched part of an episode once and couldn't relate to her as human being at all. She's, to put it nicely, quite unpleasant-seeming! Though, to be fair, I find all of those "reality" shows to be really irritating. I just don't like the genre. If I have to watch people arguing and acting petty, I'd like them at least be people I know so I know they also have some redeeming qualities.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#8 of 23 Old 05-30-2009, 06:03 PM

And Betsy it's so much more interesting to watch people you know bicker and snipe!
#9 of 23 Old 05-30-2009, 09:44 PM

I liked the earlier episodes. I found it entertaining how she managed all those kids by herself b/c I found it hard with just the 2 I had.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#10 of 23 Old 05-30-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
I liked the earlier episodes. I found it entertaining how she managed all those kids by herself b/c I found it hard with just the 2 I had.
I found inspiration from her *before* I got preggers with the kids but of recent... not so much. I have my own personal views of the show and have decided to no longer watch it for the children's sake. Now the Duggars I watch at times!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#11 of 23 Old 05-31-2009, 02:23 AM

we don't have cable, but that kind of show just doesn't appeal to me.

I have been asked at least 1 million times, mostly by random strangers, if I watch it.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#12 of 23 Old 05-31-2009, 02:27 AM

Hmmmm.... I have watched it a couple of times, and since I don't watch much tv at all, something has got to be REALLY GOOD to hold my interest. Even HGTV isn't cutting it for me anymore.
I have to say (though I am completely out of the gossip loop) that from what I can gather, they are splitting up???? And I think that's sad and incredibly hard, and I think that life with multiples is hard, and I'm a bitch quite often myself, so I really can't go on about her.....
The show itself.... hmmm.... it's hard to feel that it's "real life" when her hair is always done and they are wearing stylish clothes.
#13 of 23 Old 05-31-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogafeet View Post
I don't find it stressful. It actually makes me feel better that my hands are not as full.
: I don't watch it with any regularity, but when I do it makes me feel better. I may have 3 kids that drive me crazy at times, but at least I don't have 8. And that makes me happy.

Kim, mom to : Katie (2/06), : Tommy & Amelia (10/08)
#14 of 23 Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 PM

Wait a minute...when do all you multiple mamas get to watch TV?!?!?

Amy â Unschooling my twin boys, born April 2006 (12 weeks early at 2 lbs each). Astrology for Parenting -- helping parents attain authentic and respectful relationships with their children and families.
#15 of 23 Old 05-31-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post
I see so little attachment there.
This is the problem I have with the show. She really doesn't seem to want to be a mom.
#16 of 23 Old 05-31-2009, 07:44 PM

I've seen a few episodes, and wasn't impressed at all. I couldn't do that to my kids, putting them on display like that. When they do the "interview" sessions, Jon always looks like he'd rather be somewhere else.
#17 of 23 Old 05-31-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon2000 View Post
same time I'm eating bonbons. :nana:

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#18 of 23 Old 05-31-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
And Betsy it's so much more interesting to watch people you know bicker and snipe!
Yes, and when I get fed up and throw something at them--they actually notice and sometimes even shut up!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#19 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 12:01 AM

I liked it more when it was about one family's struggle with twins and sextuplets. Now it seems like it's all about product placement and fame. And it was kind of hard to watch the most recent episode; there was so much tension and hate between Jon and Kate.

I don't get to watch tons of TV, so when I do watch, I want it to be something fun that I enjoy! I love Lost and Desperate Housewives.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#20 of 23 Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaesa View Post
same time i'm eating bonbons. :nana:
rofl!
#21 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisLane View Post
This is not about the tabloid headlines -- truly a multiples question.

Do you, as a parent of twins/trips/more, watch the show? I have tried, but I can't. So many of my friends (with singletons or no kids) LOVE LOVE LOVE it. But I don't. Watching it stresses me out and I find it isn't, well, entertaining.
Especially when I was knee deep in the toddler years . . .. watching the show was so depressing to me. It felt like my life on steroids and it totally stressed me out . ..

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#22 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon2000 View Post
Its called TIVO . . ..

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#23 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 PM

The only time I've watched was when I was on the hospital on bedrest and there was a marathon on. Scared the crap out of me! We don't have cable, so I haven't seen it since, but TBH, I have no desire to watch even if I could.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page