Question about identical twins - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 33 Old 06-18-2009, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine has identical twins, but due to extreme stress while in utero the genes of one expressed differently. (Basically her sister got all the nutrients and she got none.) My friend makes a big deal about them being twins even though they hardly even look like siblings. One is normal sized and the other looks like she's 2 (she's actually 4), one is dark-haired, dark-eyed, and olive toned, and the other one is blonde, light-eyed and fairer-skinned.

In addition to needing to share that they are twins, the mom also makes a big deal about them being identical. She is constantly pointing out to me how their features are the same (I don't really see it, but I'm not good at that kind of stuff). In this case I guess it really *is* kind of interesting that they are genetically identical but look so different, so maybe it's fun for her to point it out. I have no insight into her psyche, I just wanted to share since I actually know a real life pair of genetically identical twins whose genes expressed differently.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 33 Old 06-22-2009, 02:28 PM

I knew a pair of *identical* twins when I was growing up. They NEVER looked alike, in the least, but their parents insisted they were identical because they shared a placenta. They also said they had done genetic testing (yet no one in the family had ever seen the results and this was a close family, so it seemed odd).

The twins are now 19 and got testing done themselves last year. They are fraternal. (Ironically they seemed rather relived at finding out for sure that they arnt identical, lol)

I'm not saying its entirely impossible, but I dont see how its possible to have different hair color, eye color (esp eye color), totally different features, etc, and be identical. It just doesnt make sense to me.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#33 of 33 Old 06-22-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post
I'm not saying its entirely impossible, but I dont see how its possible to have different hair color, eye color (esp eye color), totally different features, etc, and be identical. It just doesnt make sense to me.
I watched a program on discovery channel or similar that said genes can express differently if put under extreme stress in utero (e.g. one twin gets very little nutrients). That would apply to very few cases. I do believe my friend when she says hers are identical even though they have such different coloring, because the lighter-featured one just looks funny -- albino-ish. OK not *that* extreme but she does look a bit odd. They were taken from the womb early (29 or 30 weeks) because the doctors thought they would both die if they didn't take them. The one that was subjected to the in utero stress was only 1 lb. Her sister was 3 lbs.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page