How big did you get? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 06-15-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So someone talk to me honestly. This is my biggest fear other than birthing two. How big did you get? We found out it was twins at 20 weeks. I wasn't THAT big then, but then I started really upping my protein intake to where it should be and I "exploded" - at almost 25 weeks now I'm nearly full term size for me for a singleton. And I'm uncomfortable already. I'm so, so scared that my body won't hold out. Already I'm not getting done what I need to because I have to take so many rest breaks and my body poops out before I do. What did you do to stay comfortable? How did you sleep? Grocery shop?

Heck I'm even nervous about checking my urine at the midwife come about week 28, I'm not sure I'll be able to reach!!

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#2 of 33 Old 06-15-2009, 05:39 PM

It isn't nice to say, but there's a picture of me before the twins were born. I was dressed in black and white and I look like an orca.

I was 'full term size' about 28 weeks, too. But I got much bigger. The boys came at 38 weeks, and by that point I had trouble rolling over in bed. I think I gained about 40 lbs. The boys were 7 lb 4 oz at birth each, so I felt that it was weight for a good purpose.

The important thing to remember is this is short term, in the big scheme of things. I had kind of forgotten that a day would come when I'd feel like myself again.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#3 of 33 Old 06-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I measured 36 cm by 24 weeks; 44 cm at 33 weeks, and ended up measuring 52 cm the day I delivered, at 39 weeks! My babies ewre 8 pounds each, and I'm only 5'4", so it's no big surprise! The biggest surprise was that my belly skin didn't hang all the way to my knees after I delivered!

I gained 65 pounds. I hadn't seen my belly button for weeks - even though it popped way out, it was over the horizon.

I don't know how one does it with other children in the house - the twins were my first (and last). If it were me, I'd ask for help - my DH did practically everything (grocery shopping, cooking, laundry), and I wasn't afraid to ask visiting friends to run errands or throw in a load of clothes.

Rest breaks are good! Decide RIGHT NOW that you don't have to do everything you did before, so you can take care of yourself and your babies.

Oh, and here's a bellu pic of me two days before I delivered (yes, those are stretch marks, and the look on my face says it all!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ogry/BELLY.jpg

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#4 of 33 Old 06-15-2009, 06:41 PM

YOUR job is to grow those two tiny people to full term. That's your job. Period. I know that's hard. I had to get help, and lots of it, because I was doing too much with my four older kids (who were all under 6) and it was showing all over the place. Too many contractions, too much crap in my urine, grouchy, tired, anxious. I had help in place from week 33 until I was off house arrest at 36 weeks and it was a lifesaver! I was horribly uncomfortable at the end. My legs and feet would swell if I did too much but I would get horrible reflux if I elevated them. Sleeping was a JOKE! It was like dozing between contractions and pee trips (good practice for later when I was dozing between feeding newborns). Ultimately completely worth it and now a year later I'm getting my body/groove/sleep back.

In the end, I gained 40 pounds, which is about 4 times what I normally gain, and my uterus measured 50cm at my last appt at 38 weeks. I gave birth at 39 weeks to 6.6 and 7.6 babies.

Last belly shot at 37 weeks:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...erentangle.jpg

Labor:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...s/DSCN2163.jpg
#5 of 33 Old 06-15-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_deadhead View Post

Oh, and here's a bellu pic of me two days before I delivered (yes, those are stretch marks, and the look on my face says it all!)
Oh does the look ever say it all!!! I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#6 of 33 Old 06-15-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post
It isn't nice to say, but there's a picture of me before the twins were born. I was dressed in black and white and I look like an orca.

I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but your wording made me crack up!

I was huge. Really, really big and uncomfortable. I couldn't roll over in bed without getting up out of the bed and getting back in facing the other way. In fact, for the last 3 weeks I couldn't even get in or out of bed without a step stool, and slept on the couch. But even then, I couldn't get from a lying to a sitting position, so I'd have to roll onto hands and knees on the floor, and crawl to a kneeling, then standing position, using the coffee table as a brace.

I was measuring 52 cm at 38 weeks, as well.

36 weeks:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/croftor...82960/sizes/m/

38 weeks:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/croftor...61031/sizes/m/

It's all just part of growing healthy babies, and given how scary it can be to have preemie twins, I'll take it any day! You will get huge. It will be uncomfortable. And it will all be worth it in the end!!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#7 of 33 Old 06-15-2009, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not that big, really. . .

Bigger than my singleton pregnancies, but I still fit all my maternity clothes. My maternity jeans were the kind with the small stretchy side inserts rather than a full panel. They were at their limit by the end, but I could still wear them.

I went to 39 weeks 4 days. Babies 6lb 15oz and 7lb 8 oz. I had a longer plateau of being "that big" with the last many weeks of the twin pregnancy than with our singletons. Just like how I felt: felt like heavy end-of-pregnancy only mid-way. But it didn't get worse from there.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#8 of 33 Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novella View Post
Not that big, really. . .

I went to 39 weeks 4 days. Babies 6lb 15oz and 7lb 8 oz. I had a longer plateau of being "that big" with the last many weeks of the twin pregnancy than with our singletons. Just like how I felt: felt like heavy end-of-pregnancy only mid-way. But it didn't get worse from there.
That helps. I'm feeling end of pregnancy heavy and broke down in tears last night thinking how much worse it'd get. If it keeps feeling like this for 15 weeks I can handle that. Whining, but I can handle it. Actually it'd be so much better if I could breathe at all...

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#9 of 33 Old 06-15-2009, 09:22 PM

Because photobucket and I don't like each other. . . http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...ght=belly+pics

I gained 75 lbs. To put this in perspective, pre-preg I was 110 and I am 5"1'.

Experiment w/ pillows between your legs, under you belly for sleeping. Or try sleeping in an easy chair if you have one. There were days at the end where I would get up and vacuum. . . and that was all I did all day. It is normal to be exhausted. Your body is doing a lot right now. I quit driving at 6 months (belly touched wheel), so I always had someone w/ me when I needed to do errands or shop. It is okay to be emotional. I cried all the time, mostly over really stupid things. I was a big mess.
Hang in there. YOu can do it!

p.s. I could still reach, though barely. And to be totally honest, I was peeing every 15-20 minutes, just drops really, so if you can't reach you could just pretend you're camping and drip dry.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#10 of 33 Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 PM

I was thin to begin with (5'3 115 lbs) and gained 60 lbs by the time I was 30 weeks. I was measuring 42 weeks (52 cm) when I was 28 weeks. Unforunately my body didn't hold out (I suspect pre-e) and I delivered at 30 weeks. They couldn't stop my labor. My twins were born around 3 lbs a piece are are 3 y/o now and perfectly healthy little girls!

Take it easy, get your rest and keep eating.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#11 of 33 Old 06-15-2009, 11:16 PM

I measured as follows:

22 weeks - 32 cm
28 weeks - 34 cm
32 weeks - 41 cm
35 weeks - 43 cm
36 weeks - 42 cm

Position was definitely a factor in my measurements...there was a shift from transverse/transverse to breech/vertex at some point...I can't remember when. I gave birth to 2 very healthy girls at 37 weeks + 1 day, each just shy of 6 lbs.

My husband essentially did everything for the last 2-3 months of the pregnancy...took care of my older daughters, did all the grocery shopping, meal preparation, laundry (I did manage to fold it while sitting on the couch). The rest is important mama! Sleeping was very challenging for me due to EVIL heartburn...in the end (with help from mamas here!) I started eating acidic fruit before bed (pineapple, grapefruit...crazy things you NEVER would think would help) and that made a big difference...also avoiding refined carbohydrates at dinner time...no pie for me Of course, I've since made up for missing those carbs...since breastfeeding twins I am a monster for sweets!

Your body can do this...it is an awesome thing...you just need to listen to it carefully and learn early on to accept (or sometimes even demand) all the help you can get.

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
#12 of 33 Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

I should clarify I know my body will never be the same again and I'm not worried about that. I'm just worried about continuing to function. Did anyone use one of those motorized carts to shop? Get a handicap permit for parking? I can't breathe right now, that's my biggest problem, besides the SPD.

#13 of 33 Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post
: Bwah! ahahahhahaha!

I went to 34w2 due to TTTS, and I don't remember how big I measured but my belly was enormous. I couldn't wear anything over my belly, so I wore those early-pregnancy maternity jeans under it, and some giant plus-size maternity shirts that I referred to as "my tents" on top.

I had a friend who'd gone to 39w with her twins, and she gave me some clothes.

I was uncomfortable, certainly, but I could still breathe and walk and such.

My favorite twin belly pic by far is Jenne's when she's on the phone in labor. You can see it on the Natural Birth of Multiples YouTube video.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#14 of 33 Old 06-16-2009, 12:06 AM

I don't know how much I measured, cm wise, but I gained right at 40 lbs. I tried to do a little more, but just hit a plateau there.

Here's a pic at 36w, and the boys were born 1 week later. I am a dork, and I just now realized this was a week before. I always thought the last pic I had was 2 weeks prior.

Now .... one year later. Back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and a tankini hides all the twin skin and stretch marks.

My husband did all the grocery shopping/house cleaning, etc. I did the laundry. I have to be honest, I didn't sleep well at all .... back pain, heartburn, hip pain, and if I COULD get comfortable, my brain wouldn't shut down. I would get up in the morning, eat breakfast, lie down on the couch, do a load of laundry, eat lunch, lie down on the couch, do a load of laundry, lie down, etc.

Frequent rest periods/frequent eating, and LOADS of water, along with an uber helpful husband kept me going. I told him that every day we kept them in, the better.

You can do it!!!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#15 of 33 Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanjeepin View Post
I should clarify I know my body will never be the same again and I'm not worried about that. I'm just worried about continuing to function. Did anyone use one of those motorized carts to shop? Get a handicap permit for parking? I can't breathe right now, that's my biggest problem, besides the SPD.
are you anemic?? That contributed to my shortness of breath, as well.

I didn't get a handicap sticker, but I did go totally redneck at the mall, and got into an argument at the mall with a lady over a parking spot. She had the audacity to tell me I needed the exercise .... I informed her that I was carrying twins, and she could get lost. Not one of my prouder moments. :

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#16 of 33 Old 06-16-2009, 03:17 AM

Hmmm..... let's see, the other day, my older friend from yoga (man in his 70s and oh so very sweet), commented on the fact that I was dropping my baby weight quite well. It was quite flattering, but I should have taken the compliment and run, b/c as I stood around agreeing with him, he went on to describe just how large I had gotten, and how I'd really "packed it on there". There are times that I choose to just walk away and not educate the masses, as it really was more important to me to take two babies to term than it was to potentially look fabulous with twins at 38 weeks. I have to admit, though, that the first blog I peeked in on when I learned that I was having twins was a cute young girl's who I could identify with to some degree (ok, she was cuter and younger, but still! ). I seriously almost threw up when I saw how huge her belly got. It was HUGE!!!!!! I sobbed. I never thought I'd make it through, let alone grow to LOVE and VALUE a HUGE BELLY!!!! In the end I was so proud of my belly, and my babies are to this day, so freakin' healthy, I can hardly believe it!!!!
I did use the motorized carts at stores. What the heck!?!!!! It was that or have a trip to the store be the only thing I did in a day. I also took as much help as was given, and I really set my sights on much lower expectations for getting things done. That being said, I had an incredibly comfortable, lovely pregnancy. I went to acupuncture weekly, got chiro adjustments and massage. I continued vinyasa yoga up to about 34 weeks or so. I have to say that around 28 weeks was the biggest challenge, and once I made it through that, I was fine.
Good luck and happy pg to you!!!
#17 of 33 Old 06-16-2009, 04:41 AM

OMG Elizabeth, I did the exact same thing! I Googled "twin belly" the day we found out and nearly died with shock. DH and I just stood in front of the computer, clicking and clicking on links until we were both dizzy. I got way more round and less "out" than MANY twins MoMs and I think that's why I could still get up and down off the floor at 38 weeks! I was huge, for sure, and to answer your question Beanjeepin, function was there but it was slow for sure. I didn't ever get a motorized cart but I thought about it several times. When I went I did short shops instead of the big ones. I sent DH a LOT. We ate more stuff from a box than I liked. Laundry was always behind. I would clean like mad before my MW came over once a week and she'd practically beat me. The messier the house was the happier she was.
#18 of 33 Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

I get to go to the chiro today, thankfully, but this may be the only time all pregnancy we can afford it. I'm hoping it'll help a small bit at least. Thanks for the boost ladies, I just couldn't see through the end and how I'd be able to still move! (I really am not concerned at all about what it all looks like, just that I can get up and down and still do SOME things to help my family work.)

#19 of 33 Old 06-16-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I get to go to the chiro today, thankfully, but this may be the only time all pregnancy we can afford it. I'm hoping it'll help a small bit at least. Thanks for the boost ladies, I just couldn't see through the end and how I'd be able to still move! (I really am not concerned at all about what it all looks like, just that I can get up and down and still do SOME things to help my family work.)
I had trouble walking the last 2 weeks ..... phew!

#20 of 33 Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 AM

I got uncomfortable (like, mostly constantly uncomfortable) at a certain point and it was kind of a plateau from there on out. Until, like the last 4 days or so, when I reaaaallly did slow down and it was hard(er) to move around. It was late July (I was due July 25 and gave birth on July 20) and it was likely a combination of the growing heat and just nearing time to have the babies.

I missed the cup more than once when giving a sample at the office. You may have more success by reaching around from behind to hold the cup!

Aside from Braxton Hicks when I overdid things or didn't have enough water, I didn't really have contractions until actual labor. Even the NSTs at the end....maybe one contraction during those. It was kind of disheartening because I was so wanting to have a spontaneous labor & not an induction, and it just seemed like nothing was happening as we neared the OB's preferred "deadline." I continued to wait, but the stress was on because at that point, I was declining her "suggestions" and it was tough.

So I didn't have lots of contractions. But yeah, getting in and out of bed, being comfortable while there (ha), handling walking for any length of time....it was a challenge. I had the most trouble with back pain. My belly was all out in front and boy did my back let me know things were not right!

But I did love growing the big belly. I guess maybe it's perverse to think this, but it sort of looked good. Impressive, at least. (Maybe just out of clothes. Under clothes, it just looked sort of wrong! ) I just went to find some pictures and I picked a few. Here are 30 weeks and 39 weeks. And just for grins, 20 weeks. The last two photos were taken 2 days before the babies were born. I don't know if you can see the difference between the belly in 30 to 39 weeks (at a certain point, it all just looks "big." But pregnant mamas, and moms of multiples in particular, should be able to note the subtleties!) Putting my 20 week belly up there makes the contrast even greater!!

20 weeks pregnant with twins

Twin belly at 30 weeks

Twin belly at 39 weeks
(I, um, drew the blue "outfit" with Microsoft Paint! )

more of a front view of 39 weeks (you can sort of see the bandage from my stab wound from my unfortunate late-term ice cream opening incident. Advice....don't try to cut the band off a Ben & Jerry's pint with a sharp knife on your countertop....it might slip and, well, your belly is out there. That was a scary ER trip at 35 weeks.)
#21 of 33 Old 06-16-2009, 11:14 AM

I just posted pictures on my blog. I measured right on the whole time. It is under Two Wooden Spoons and is the second post down.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#22 of 33 Old 06-16-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyC View Post
(I, um, drew the blue "outfit" with Microsoft Paint! )

more of a front view of 39 weeks (you can sort of see the bandage from my stab wound from my unfortunate late-term ice cream opening incident. Advice....don't try to cut the band off a Ben & Jerry's pint with a sharp knife on your countertop....it might slip and, well, your belly is out there. That was a scary ER trip at 35 weeks.)
Oh AmyC!!!!!!!!!!!!I wondered why there was a bit of Madonna-ish pointiness going on there! LMBO

And yes - what a scary trip!!!!!!

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#23 of 33 Old 06-16-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I Did anyone use one of those motorized carts to shop? .

Yes. I was on "house arrest" for the last 2 months of my pregnancy, modified from hospital bed rest in the early 8th month. Those motorized shopping carts was the only way I got around outside the house. Walking was so much work. That sounds crazy, but it felt like my heart was working so hard, which I suppose it was, just by walking.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#24 of 33 Old 06-16-2009, 01:07 PM

I never used a motorized cart but totally should have! I was too embarrassed and didn't read about other MoM's doing it so it didn't really seem like something people did. I really wish I had done that though!

I did get huge though I didn't gain tons of weight (32 lbs I think it was). I'm fairly petite, too, so I was just a whole lotta belly. Back then it was intimidating to think of how big I was possibly going to get and how my body would be able to handle it (or not). I did get awful SPD and that was very hard, so I hear ya there. Now, however, I'm so proud of what my body was able to do and love to look at photos of how big I got and am thankful all the time that I have a 3-D representation of my huge belly thanks to my belly cast. I was last measured right at 37 weeks (had them at 37w4d) and measured 52cm I believe, so basically 3 months "overdue" by size alone. Pretty amazing when you think about it! Here's a website with a bunch of progression photos of twin bellies. Mine's the last one listed (Twin Belly Timeline #1).

Try to relax and just focus on growing those babies nice and big so they'll have a great start. I know it's scary but you really will be okay!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#25 of 33 Old 06-16-2009, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not that I want to share any of my pre or post twin belly shots just now, but FWIW, the last few weeks I didn't get noticeably bigger. I did get pretty huge by 30 weeks, but once I did and got used to the size, weeks 31 - 39 weren't as big a change. But maybe it's all about perspective. I googled pics too and saw how big many twin mommas got. I showed those pics to my DH and mom early on, so that we all expected whale proportions and were not unpleasantly surprised. Only two strangers asked if I was having tripets!

Grow those big babies, and wear compression socks!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#26 of 33 Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM

http://tinypic.com/r/24xhzqc/5

I didn't get as big as I expected to. This is me at 36 weeks, six days before my kiddos were born. They were on the small side-- that's 12 1/4 pounds of baby, total, that I'm carrying there.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#27 of 33 Old 06-20-2009, 02:11 AM

I know that everyone has their own philosophy about money, but for me, I didn't care if we had to go into debt to:
a. have a homebirth if insurance wouldn't cover it (thankfully they did!)
b. be comfortable and healthy in my pregnancy

So, I spent money on food, acupuncture, chiro, massage. I needed to feel good for a lot of reasons, and I did! If you have the means at all to get the care you want/need, please do so. Or let people in your life know that is what you want. We got all our baby things handed to us from friends/family and the multiples group in our area, so people gave things that would help US rather than cute baby blankets, etc. Letting people help is also accepting love in various forms.
#28 of 33 Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaeliz View Post
I know that everyone has their own philosophy about money, but for me, I didn't care if we had to go into debt to:
a. have a homebirth if insurance wouldn't cover it (thankfully they did!)
b. be comfortable and healthy in my pregnancy

So, I spent money on food, acupuncture, chiro, massage. I needed to feel good for a lot of reasons, and I did! If you have the means at all to get the care you want/need, please do so. Or let people in your life know that is what you want. We got all our baby things handed to us from friends/family and the multiples group in our area, so people gave things that would help US rather than cute baby blankets, etc. Letting people help is also accepting love in various forms.
My DH was laid off the DAY we found out we were expecting in January and hasn't found anything yet. I can't slow down work because my salary is keeping us afloat, which makes it difficult for me to get to appointments even if we could afford a lot right now. We're still going for the homebirth and doing all we can (except losing the house) to afford it, but that doesn't leave room for much else at all. I'm actually hoping for the generosity of others just to manage the few extra things we'll need for these babies. I did haul myself into my chiro last week and she was able to work out finances with me so I can see her towards the end of the pregnancy, but right now not more than once a month.

#29 of 33 Old 06-20-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaeliz View Post
We got all our baby things handed to us from friends/family and the multiples group in our area, so people gave things that would help US rather than cute baby blankets, etc. Letting people help is also accepting love in various forms.
Oh yeah. The twins club thing. I contacted ours right after we found out about the twins in May, their last meeting for the summer was June and it was a closed meeting and the next isn't until Sept - I'm due Sept. 30 and have not yet made it to 40 weeks in a pregnancy. Babies aren't allowed at the meetings, so I don't think they'll be useful for me. I was offered the chance to pay to join so I could be on the email list and I considered it, but when I asked if it would be a good resource for me to find a backup OB who would deliver a breech in a hospital she never got back to me. I can't really afford a membership right now to find out it won't be helpful at all.

#30 of 33 Old 06-20-2009, 01:40 PM

I only made it to 33 weeks 1 day- here's my belly the day before I had the boys:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l.../TWINS/005.jpg

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page