s/o- the big busted woman and nursing twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the thread I started about the necessity of the EZ2 Nurse pillow there was a lot of talk about it all depending on one's breast size. So I am wondering now (and really have been) how big busted women handle nursing twins.

Even nursing one at a time is difficult for me for the first few months. I normally have about a 36 DDD (or E) and when I first give birth they are so big I don't even bother with a bra but bra tops rather so I'm not too sure how big they get technically. But I do have to use both hands just to nurse one as my boob suffocates baby and they turn their head away. I am thinking I probably am not going to be able to tandem for this reason.

Experiences?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#2 of 16 Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 PM

Sounds like we are about the same size Non-pregnant I am a 34 DDD...my current nursing bra is a 34 H...geez, I always wondered what came next

I did use the EZ pillow to tandem for about the first month, then it seemed to get difficult...I had to support each breast so that it would stay in each baby's mouth and it felt like I had my arms all crossed everywhere! So, for about 5 months I still used the pillow, but only to nurse each baby alone (I actually did like it way better than my other singleton nursing pillow...like the firm, flatter surface). Now that my babies are 6 months old, I've tried a few times to return to tandem with the EZ pillow and it seems to work pretty well. They kind of use their own hands now and all seems to just line up better, which makes me happy as it is nice to nurse them together and witness the hand holding ...but the scratching at each other's eyes is there too .

I am also pretty short - 5' 1", and very short in the waist.

I was given my pillow free by a complete stranger who found out about me from a La Leche League meeting...what an awesome mama

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
#3 of 16 Old 07-08-2009, 11:45 PM

We loved the ez-2-nurse! I ended up having 3 of them (we only bought one), and stashed one with each set of grandparents. I was a 40H after the boys were born (yikes!), and I'm a little bit taller, but I found that I could actually do the hands-free nursing like they advertise. (I spent a lot of time on MDC!) I would just latch them on and then I didn't have to do much else.

It lasted about the first 6 months, and then we started just using it sometimes, and then they got too big for it. But we have really only and always done tandem, because if I just nursed one, I didn't know what to do with the other one. And then when they got older, if one wanted it, the other one had to have it too!
#4 of 16 Old 07-09-2009, 04:38 AM

Before I got pregnant I was a 34F. My nursing bras are . . . I can't even remember right now and I'm too lazy to go look. They're big. Anyway, I've tandem nursed the whole time. The EZ2Nurse pillow was fantastic until they outgrew it. I could nurse them both AND knit at the same time.

Mama to twins Wren and Robin, 3/3/08.
#5 of 16 Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 PM

I also have a 34H nursing bra. I didn't have an EZ2, but I did have a large nursing pillow bought for me by a family friend. It sat on my lap and went around from hip to hip. I used it from week 1 (when we all got home from the hospital) until they weaned at 18 months. (To the point that when they wanted to nurse they actually brought me the pillow when they wanted to nurse).

It was the best thing ever. They never outgrew it and I totally had hands free the whole time, so if one finished before the other I could lift them and burp them in those early months or put them on the couch next to me when they got older.

I never had a problem with suffocation or manuvering. Just stuck my nipple in their mouth and off they went.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#6 of 16 Old 07-09-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccellina View Post
Before I got pregnant I was a 34F. My nursing bras are . . . I can't even remember right now and I'm too lazy to go look. They're big. Anyway, I've tandem nursed the whole time. The EZ2Nurse pillow was fantastic until they outgrew it. I could nurse them both AND knit at the same time.

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#7 of 16 Old 07-09-2009, 03:42 PM

my boobs are huge. and long. when i tandem nurse i just with my legs criss-crossed and the babies piled on top of eachother with my hands supporting their heads. this took help of course.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreas...7614891419738/

or with my other kids when one was old enough i had one on a thin pillow "foot-ball hold" style and the other "cradle hold" with my arm supporting them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreas...7600526387278/

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#8 of 16 Old 07-10-2009, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Those pictures were very helpful, thank you!!! :

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#9 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 09:05 PM

I have large breasts as well, I'm at a G right now..Aja-belly's pics are exactly how we did it, although I didn't tandem nurse very often. I tandem now because they are toddlers and if one wants to nurse, the other has to nurse, but we've figured out our own way since they're older :
#10 of 16 Old 07-19-2009, 09:02 PM

You might do better with the My Breast Friend pillow when they're tiny - it's flat and lower than the EZ 2 Nurse one and should have enough room for them while they're small.

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

#11 of 16 Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 PM

I had my twins before I found MDC so I wasn't so committed to exclusive bf'ing as I would be now, but here's what I did. My breasts are about the same size as you and I rarely tandem nursed bc I couldn't get the hang of doing it hands free. I either nursed them at different times or nursed one and bottle-fed the other in the bouncy seat next to me. They both had no trouble switching from bottle to breast, so I just alternated who got the breast each time. I did nurse them both when my mom or DH was home to help with getting them on and off, but most of the time they each just took turns. One of the things that having twins is that you've gotta be flexible and do what works best for your situation.
#12 of 16 Old 07-21-2009, 03:16 PM

I couldn't tandem until the babies were able to hold their own breast and latch on themselves. It worked fine. They are id twins and I had them on opposite schedules.

So around 4-5 months old we started tandem nursing. I used a big recliner and blankets under their heads to adjust their positions. The pillow was always too tall for me.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#13 of 16 Old 07-22-2009, 11:04 AM

I love love loved my EZ-2 nurse I'm a F when not BFing and an I when my milk comes in. When my girls were little they needed rolled up blankets under their heads to keep them positioned right but they outgrew that within a month. Once they got old enough to sit on my lap and nurse, I did that. Much easier when they can help the process. I do have to hoist the tatas up to position but with the ez you can do that without worrying about the other twin rolling off.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#14 of 16 Old 07-22-2009, 10:03 PM

I have huge breasts (sound about the same as yours), and I loved the EZ pillow. What I did was to roll a thick baby blanket and use that to prop my breasts up. That way I could nurse hands-free, without having to hold each breast in a hand. You are generally supposed to support your breasts as long as your breasts are larger than your babies' heads. This took a LONG time for me, lol! Like, maybe two years! I only used the twin pillow for the first three months, though (after that my babies nursed for much shorter lengths of time and I found I enjoyed nursing them one-at-a-time instead).

This is a picture of me tandem-nursing my one-week-old babies THE WRONG WAY: don't do this!. It was before I got my twin pillow, and my nipples were horribly damaged due to my not supporting my breasts correctly, and just letting them hang. The pillow worked by propping the babies up, and then the rolled blanket propped my breasts up, so that they weren't hanging at all. And finally my nipples began to heal!

FWIW, I do believe that having larger breasts will be to your advantage when tandem nursing in the long-term. When my twins were 7 months old, I was able to start nursing them both while lying down, with a twin in each armpit since "luckily" my breasts could easily stretch that way.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#15 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 06:51 PM

Here's the EZ-2 nurse with week old twins. I guess i was able to nurse hands free

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/...s/P1010087.jpg

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#16 of 16 Old 07-24-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
FWIW, I do believe that having larger breasts will be to your advantage when tandem nursing in the long-term. When my twins were 7 months old, I was able to start nursing them both while lying down, with a twin in each armpit since "luckily" my breasts could easily stretch that way.

Lex
I totally agree with this! It's a morning ritual for my 2 yo twins to wake up in the morning, and have each boy in each armpit and nurse, while I watch TV :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page