Still frequently night nursing...anyone else? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-29-2004, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me start out by saying that I know that it is perfectly normal for my girls to still be nursing at night. My oldest dd nursed to often to count during the night until she was 19-months-old (I nightweaned her when I became pregnant again). I am not oppossed to nursing my girls at night...I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else is also still very frequently nursing their twins at night.

Lillie and Faith must be nursed down at night and within an hour of me slipping away from them, one or both of them is wanting to nurse again. They continue that way throughout the night...asking to nurse every 2 hours or so. Some nights they will have a longer stretch and every once in a while they have slept a really long stretch but that is rare. Of course, we are still cosleeping (which I believe contributes to the night waking) and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Anyone else out there with older twins that is still waking up like you had a newborn in the house?

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#2 of 9 Old 01-31-2004, 02:14 AM

Wish I had time to write, but wanted to let you know I'm right there with you. My almost 17 month old twins still nurse constantly, day and night. I really don't mind most of the time, but every now and then, I get fed up because 1) it is still pretty common for them both to be wanting to nurse in the middle of the night and because they are such jealous nursers I can't make them both happy or 2) I can't seem to have 15 minutes alone with my husband because someone always wants a nipple in their mouth or 3) Lilly and Lucy nap for only 15-40 minutes a day, and I think it's because they can't sleep without nursing constantly. But 95 percent of the time, we are all very happy with the situation.

I do have The No Cry Sleep Solution requested from the library, but I'm skeptical that I can do much about it this late in the game. Our sleeping habits are so established, and I don't have the time or energy to really try to change them.

So for now, I'm just rolling back and forth every 45 minutes or so, waking up as little as possible.

Best wishes. Thinking of you and thinking maybe I'm not totally crazy for making these choices! (Or maybe we're both a little out there.)

#3 of 9 Old 02-03-2004, 01:14 PM

Still the same here! My twins are 3!

Its always been like this with them.Ilness,stress,nightmares ect..all contribute with us.For all of this I am so thankful we do still co sleep.But sometimes I wish dh could nurse too
#4 of 9 Old 02-04-2004, 12:26 AM

Luke and Jaz nursed so frequently last night that I literally think I was nursing one or the other of them EVERY MINUTE between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. Dp stayed home from work today because she knew that there was no way I'd be able to handle them on my own today, having gotten so little sleep last night.

Usually they each wake 2-3 times, and only nurse for 5-10 minutes (and I am able to fall right back asleep). But the past few nights they have been nursing more and more and more. . . and they insist on rubbing their hands up and down my sides which is harder for me to sleep through than the nursing alone. I am wondering if this is a growth spurt or a sign that they need to be eating more solids or something. This morning I was even contemplating night weaning if this trend continues.

They also nurse every 30 mintues or so during the day (one or the other) unless we are out and about and they are very distracted.

Oh, and they will be one in a couple weeks. They didn't nurse nearly as often when they were newborns!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#5 of 9 Old 02-06-2004, 01:00 AM

Hannah & Helen, 25 months also nurse to sleep then wake 1-5 times per night to have a "quickie" (or in Hannah's case, a suckle at the all night diner, honestly that child would go all night if I let her).

My HUGE concern now is that Hannah has some incipent cavities in her front teeth that will need work in the next month. I'm posting on the dental board to get some advice, but I'm also going to try and at least stop the middle of the night nursings. Oh, I don't always get to roll over as sometimes it's both at once! Stretchy breasts help (read big and long).

Any advice?

Karen, very happy Momma of Hannah & Helen 1-4-02
#6 of 9 Old 02-26-2004, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

I'm just venting here. Last night I went to bed at midnight and did not sleep until 7:30 this morning. All night long it was either Lillie or Faith or BOTH constantly nursing. I finally got up at 5:00 a.m. and sat on the couch with them but they were both still exhausted. They played and nursed until 7:00 and then fell asleep. I carried them back to bed and finally got to sleep with them attached. They've nursed this morning a few times each already.

OMG...I think my nipples are going to fall off!!!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#7 of 9 Old 02-26-2004, 01:57 PM

Wow, that just sucks. I'm right there with you many nights, but it's to be expected at the age of mine, NOT necessarily at the age of yours! I would SO be night-weaning, I'm totally impressed that you aren't. What an awesome mommy you are!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#8 of 9 Old 02-26-2004, 04:22 PM

Oh I feel your pain! That has happened amny a night in this house!But usually bc of some underlying problem...new milestone,getting sick,ect.

Get SOME sleep!

These were the days where I had to BEG dh to stay home fpr a bit to let me get an hour or so.Lots of times though he could not
#9 of 9 Old 02-26-2004, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'm figuring that there must be something going on with them. New tooth, a cold brewing...something like that. DH couldn't stay home today but wanted to.

I just hope that tonight isn't a repeat of last night!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page