OB recommends repeat c/s for breech B?!?!! X-Post VBAC - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 42 Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hugs! It is so frustrating to not know how things are going to happen and to feel like big decisions are out of your hands. My B was breech, too, all the last trimester. My OB knew from day 1 that c-sec was a life or death deal for me, and we talked about a lot of senarios. You really cannot tell what B will do after A is out. My B turned himself sideways and stuck his hand out. My OB had been willing to deliver breech, but when that happened I had the lovely internal version (to keep cord from slipping out), and B came out headfirst! They are 27 (I think) minutes apart, and I am SOOO happy the way things turned out. I don't think I could have gotten any better. Good Luck, sending you some TURN BABY vibes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 08-04-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
If the standard of care for breech B is ECS, and he does not follow that standard of care, he has practically no legs to stand on if there is a bad outcome.
But if ECS for baby B is the "standard of care," then the standard of care is not supported by mounds of research suggesting that baby B can safely be born breech as long as A was vertex. I tend to be more trusting of my providers when their practices line up with the research in the medical journals.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#33 of 42 Old 08-04-2009, 04:59 PM

Just FYI- going in as late as possible (with A already crowning) is no promise of no section. Your doc could chose to deliver A vaginally and then B by c-section.

Kimberly! I think you do need to think about the stress factor as well of having to fight for your vaginal birth vs. going ahead with the c-section. It is all relative, of course. For some women the latter would be too much and they'd rather fight it out with others it's visa versa. I know with me after my last birth the prospect of another fight makes me want to vomit. Frankly a vaginal birth is just not as important to me as NOT having horrible PTSD, not being able to bond with my baby, etc because of the stress and harassment. Sometimes healthy mamas and babies come about in different ways. I am just talking about ME here not saying you have to sign up for the c-section. I'm just hoping for the best physical and emotional outcome for you and your baby and I know YOU know what that is. You need to have the birth you need.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#34 of 42 Old 08-04-2009, 06:07 PM

I say push push push until you get what you and your babies deserve. If that means changing drs at the VERY end, so be it. I had a breech baby A and a vertex baby b and I STILL found someone willing to attend even with the risk of twin lock. I got all hell from everyone about it but I would not back down. I was 32 weeks when I transfered my care. I did end up with a c-section because in the end I had additional issues but they were respectful and let me make the final call. If this Dr won't budge keep shopping, it's not too late until baby a is out!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#35 of 42 Old 08-05-2009, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What is involved in a breech extraction?
#36 of 42 Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
What is involved in a breech extraction?
In my understanding, a breech extraction is when the doctor goes in, grabs hold of the babies feet and basically assists (pulls) the baby out.

So...can anyone share the studies/research on breech extractions and internal versions? I was all set to go ahead with that plan, which my ob would follow, then he kinda scared me with talk about the increased risk of birth injury. Something like a 12 to 1 chance. Ugh. Anyway, if I could educate myself more before the next appointment, it would help.

Kimberly - I really hope it works out as you wish. Come on baby, turn! Update when you hear back.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#37 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I was amazed that my OB suggested the "wait and see" approach before I had to even mention it. I think he's given my *situation* some thought and talked with a couple of folks about it. He sees no reason to NOT proceed with planning for a vaginal birth and also thinks it's very possible that B will turn during labor.

So, big sigh of relief.

I have gone ahead and drafted a cesarean birth plan in addition to my vaginal birth plan.

magstphil, I get where you are coming from. In my case, I've suffered from secondary infertility and had to have a myomectomy to remove adenomyosis likely CAUSED by the previous cesarean. And since adenomyomas don't have regular boundaries like fibroids, the surgeon wasn't able to get all of it. I feel that every c/s increases the potential for future reproductive and women's health problems. I've had MORE than my share, thank you. So, in my case, it's quite important that I only consent to a necessary cesarean.

It's very important to me to have my provider "on board" with my birth plan, and I have altered it somewhat for his benefit too. I just figure that I have more "power" if I end up with someone else actually attending the birth if it's well-documented that my OB is aware of and on board with my birth plans.

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#38 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyc View Post
But if ECS for baby B is the "standard of care," then the standard of care is not supported by mounds of research suggesting that baby B can safely be born breech as long as A was vertex. I tend to be more trusting of my providers when their practices line up with the research in the medical journals.
Yup. This is a frustrating time to be pregnant in the US.

DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#39 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labortrials View Post
Well, I was amazed that my OB suggested the "wait and see" approach before I had to even mention it. I think he's given my *situation* some thought and talked with a couple of folks about it. He sees no reason to NOT proceed with planning for a vaginal birth and also thinks it's very possible that B will turn during labor.

So, big sigh of relief.
Oh, that is good news.

So I guess the chiro was wrong about positioning.....?
#40 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM

Yeah for your ob taking the "wait and see" approach. May it all go smoothly. I totally understand what you mean about having your provider on board. I too am not the personality to want a real fight at that time, hence the discussion about labor starting at 20 weeks. Tee hee hee.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#41 of 42 Old 08-08-2009, 09:19 PM

wow, that's alot of info and experiences.

I had a similar experience and actually came very close to changing providers at 37 weeks. My insurance would have charged me a huge amount in the change of providers and I was not mentally prepared either. None-the-less, I did consult with an MD who is know for doing vag breech deliveries and twins. So, after we talked, I took the info back to my birth team (midwives and the MD). We agreed for a vag breech extraction.

During the time I was going to massage 2x/week b/c I was stressed, uncomfortable, and hoping B would turn. Well, he did turn, at 39+ weeks. We were totally surprised and I didn't even feel it happen.

After all that drama, I still had a c/section for B b/c of his heart rate pattern. My twins are an hour apart. That is a whole different story and In retrospect I would have "managed" the situation a little different as a midwife. But, hindsight is 20/20. And I am still happy A was a vag birth.

Soooo.... bottom line... don't give up. I highly suggest massage and meditation. Your B may still turn.

Also, I would just point blank ask your MD about his liability insurance clause. That is B.S. It is true that insurance companies many times dictate the way providers practice. But I have never heard of this one.
K
#42 of 42 Old 08-11-2009, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

You haven't heard that one? I'm sure I have. And in fact, my dearly departed OB was telling me about the ridiculous book his malpractice provider sent him telling him how we would be practicing obstetrics.

We're taking the "wait and see" approach, and actually, he brought it up before I had a chance. So I feel better.

The fact of the matter is that the tribe of OBs in this particular town just don't do breech. It's stupid, but I wonder if/when this has been challenged, and by whom? The homebirth midwives also don't do breech or twins - out of their SOP. And again, I'm not sure where that comes from.

So even though I'm trying to not be too overtly aggressive about all of this, the fact that I'm strongly *requesting* a vaginal twin birth, a VBAC, and possibly vaginal breech makes folks uncomfortable. It's not just the OBs... the midwives too, for some reason. Bizarre!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page