how often do you get this nosey question - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2009, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get asked that all the time. I guess I'm snarky, because my response is usually, "I was 22yo and single when I got pregnant. I had just graduated from college and was working as a waitress. What do you think?"

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia'sMom View Post
I am asked this all the time!! Usually, it's the more polite version "do twins run in the family?". When that is asked, I can usually deflect on how it's going to be new to us all. However, several have flat out asked if we went thru fertility and ivf. Depending on the asker, I taper my answer. Since I am absolutely horrible at lying, the minimum I will say is that "yes, we needed help, which did increase my chance of multiples". It is hard because I have been judged by people, who I thought were good friends, for undergoing what we had to in order to conceive. Thank God my mom had a good friend, of the same faith, who's daughter went thru everything before I started. Otherwise, I fear the judgement that may have even come from her. Ugh.
Oh, that's so crummy that people are jerks to you about it!! And after all you've been through! This is part of why I share nothing IRL. Take good care, what's your ddc so I can better stalk you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
I get asked that all the time. I guess I'm snarky, because my response is usually, "I was 22yo and single when I got pregnant. I had just graduated from college and was working as a waitress. What do you think?"
Good answer!!

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
Old 08-13-2009, 01:16 PM

My twins are 3.5 and I've only been asked once if we used fertility treatments. Actually she didn't even ask, she just told me she had assumed. But I get the "do twins run in your family" question all the time.

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 08-13-2009, 01:38 PM

i get asked all the time if they run in the family... and i am certain that more than half the time people are thinking they're from fertility meds. which they were. but not their business!

i think i'm going to start telling people YES they do run in my family! i am a twin, my mom AND dad are twins, and my husband is a twin, too! plus, my three other siblings are triplets!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisie31 View Post
I haven't been asked about fertility treatments out right but everyone asks if twins run in my family. Sneaky way to ask I guess. Perhaps people are just interested to know if they do or not.

Good luck on your cycle

Dena
This is us, we get asked about twins running in our familes all the time. I generally say "yep, on both sides." Cause they *do*, but I know it's the fertility treatments. Just a much easier answer, I guess.

Denise, mama to ds1 (03/26/05) and boy/girl twins born 08/12/08

User Tag List