Help me brainstorm about a MOMS meeting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-01-2004, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I am back for a while. Things have settled a bit and I miss y'all.

So will you help me brainstorm? I want to have a MOMS meeting where MOMS can bring their children.

I am thinking of one meeting every few months at first to get started.

Should I do speakers or just have a circle where we can share our hearts and struggles or both?

What are your thoughts?
What would you want from a MOMS group?
(I want healthy snacks for pregnant moms, kids welcome at meetings and openess...)

Peace,
#2 of 4 Old 02-02-2004, 02:07 AM

I would like both. Maybe a speaker once or twice in a quarter. Or maybe a speaker once a quarter and a facilitated discussion some of the other times if people want that. But also some time just to chit chat and relax.

I think it would depend on the ages/stages involved though. But I love the idea of not segregating based on ages of the kids.
#3 of 4 Old 02-03-2004, 12:23 AM

I have just moved to this town and someone (another MOM) told me about other MOMS who get together weekly.
I have been once bc my girls have been sick since,but this is what we do.
First of all,they are ALL very mainstream so I find this really hard.LAst time one MOM was telling me that she put a lock on the OUTSIDE of her 1.5 y/o dd bc she was getting up in the middle of the night to look for her twin sister who is now down the hall,so they lock her in her room all night!NOT something to tell me when we are just recovering from our house fire 3 months ago!Anyways,now bc she is turning on the lights they want to take the light bulb out she she is in the dark.

Sorry that turned into a rant!

We meet once a week,from 10-12.We have snacks,and from what I have seen the MOMS hang out in the living room and the kids have free rein to play all they want(unsupervised).The children range in ages from 6 mo to 3 years(just happened that way)

I do like getting to know other MOMs,and now that my girls are older thay are beginning to understand that they are twins and what that means.I think they enjoy meeting other twins too.
Another ok point of this group is the moms go out together once a month for an evening to ourselves.Now that J and T are older I am more comfortable doing this.I wouldnt have done it any sooner.But now i need it sometimes.

I think it is sgreat idea for you to get one started hotmamaGood to see you!
#4 of 4 Old 02-05-2004, 02:34 PM

I am membership Vice President of our MOMS (moms offering moms support) club. its an international organization. and although you dont need to be a part of an organization and pay dues to start a club this particular organization is wonderful if you are interested.

there are so many different personalities i have found others who do extended breastfeeding, cosleeping, natural childbirth, ect,,,I love all the support and all the different activities.

i wouldnt think a club would be a success if you only met once every few months. if you want to start slow i would say bi-monthly but you will loose interest if its fewer then that. plus there is a real need for stay at home mother groups. our club had to split a year or two ago and now both clubs are huge. 69 memeber in one and 48 in the other. i am in the club with 69 members and we are currently in the processes of splitting again. the need is huge in our area. some months i sign 5 members up.

we have activities 3 times a week at least but its all very intimate and all children regardless of age are welcome though the activities are geared twords different ages. its mostly just for support but my children love it!! there is no pressure to attend everything there are plenty of people that come occationally. we have service projects and family events. its been one of the best things for me and my family.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page