Constant Contracting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 82 Old 08-15-2009, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter
 
mom_of_steele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay so I am not quite 28 weeks yet and have been contracting a lot the last couple of weeks. I know it is normal to contract more with subsequent pregnancies (and I do have a 22 month old) and more with twins as well, but I have been contracting SO much the last two days. My midwife had said I should not have more than 4 in an hour, and if I do, to lay down for an hour and drink plenty of fluids and if they still don't go away...to call. Well, in the last two days there has been times that I have had 4 within like 15 minutes. I've tried the whole laying down thing and they still keep going. Last time this happened I went into labor and delivery just to make sure everything was fine, and when they did the vaginal I was completely closed and thick, and other than that, it was a pain in the butt to go through all their "procedures". Everyone keeps telling me how careful I need to be, but I can't decide if I am not being careful enough or what? With my daughter I contracted quite a bit as well (not as strong as these) from about 20 weeks on, and still did not deliver her until 42 weeks. Am I being paranoid? Or not paranoid enough?
mom_of_steele is offline  
#2 of 82 Old 08-15-2009, 11:36 AM
 
Julia'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_of_steele View Post
Okay so I am not quite 28 weeks yet and have been contracting a lot the last couple of weeks. I know it is normal to contract more with subsequent pregnancies (and I do have a 22 month old) and more with twins as well, but I have been contracting SO much the last two days. My midwife had said I should not have more than 4 in an hour, and if I do, to lay down for an hour and drink plenty of fluids and if they still don't go away...to call. Well, in the last two days there has been times that I have had 4 within like 15 minutes. I've tried the whole laying down thing and they still keep going. Last time this happened I went into labor and delivery just to make sure everything was fine, and when they did the vaginal I was completely closed and thick, and other than that, it was a pain in the butt to go through all their "procedures". Everyone keeps telling me how careful I need to be, but I can't decide if I am not being careful enough or what? With my daughter I contracted quite a bit as well (not as strong as these) from about 20 weeks on, and still did not deliver her until 42 weeks. Am I being paranoid? Or not paranoid enough?

Ohh, I hate when stuff like this happens on a weekend. Can you call your midwife to get her opinion? I would definately worry if they're not going away and are that frequent. Until they do ease up, or you see someone abuot them, I would definately stay laying down as much as possible and keep on hydrating!

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
Julia'sMom is offline  
#3 of 82 Old 08-15-2009, 12:57 PM
 
Intertwined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the midst of Twinsanity
Posts: 3,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my contractions were out of control my MW had me take a very warm bath and drink half a glass of wine and pound three 32 ounce glasses of water. Obviously, I'm NOT suggesting you do that without talking to someone first. It worked every time and bonus I slept like a rock.

If you aren't having any luck getting them to stop, you do really need to be cautious.
Intertwined is offline  
#4 of 82 Old 08-15-2009, 04:57 PM
 
fyrebloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North of Boston, South of sanity
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What she said! Wine or beer does wonders for stopping contractions. Def do the water and warm bath and resting first but if they're coming as fast as 4 in 15 you really should get a bottle of something. The heat will make many women contract because it's SOOO easy to dehydrate but a Midwife check may also be in order here. You don't want them coming just yet!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
fyrebloom is offline  
#5 of 82 Old 08-15-2009, 06:30 PM
 
~bookcase~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the middle of sweet chaos.
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
go get checked out and rest to your maximum ability. you can't rest too much with regular contractions, and you won't regret resting, but you might regret overdoing it and ignoring them. .

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

~bookcase~ is offline  
#6 of 82 Old 08-16-2009, 01:30 AM
 
Spring Lily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My doctor told me to check in if I was having 6 contractions per hour. The standard (and lots of online research agreed) tends to be 4 is for singletons and 6 is for twins. Obviously you can ignore that and listen to your doctor, but it does normallize your experience a bit. My instructions were that if I had 6 in one hour, I needed to drink 3 or 4 glasses of water and go lie flat for an hour.

How much water are you getting every day? A minimum of 60 oz is recommended, but it has to be more than that in the heat. I was also pregnant in the summer, and I found that whenever I didn't drink enough I started having conractions. By 28 weeks I also had to slow down a LOT because in the hot weather it just triggered the contractions all the time.
Spring Lily is offline  
#7 of 82 Old 08-16-2009, 01:42 AM
 
homebirthing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And if the babies are having a big growth spurt...oh goodness can it cause lots of contractions! I had them a ton through the whole thing, but they were just toning contractions, and not the real deal until the end.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

homebirthing is offline  
#8 of 82 Old 08-16-2009, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter
 
mom_of_steele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...toning contractions? What is that, and how do you know?

Spring Lily: That is so weird because my midwife said that normally for a single baby they want you to lie down and all that if it is more than 6 in an hour, but she said for twins she didn't want me having more than 4 before I started the whole lying down and hydrating thing.

Most of the time I have to stay in my house and not running errands much because the average temp where I live is around 110 or so. But, I keep it at 71 in my house and I usually get at least 64 to 80 oz. of fluid a day. I feel like there are SO many times when I have WAY more than the 4 to 6 contractions, that I figure if I had gone in for every one of those times...I would have gone in a million times by now. I dunno, I mean, my instincts say I'm not in pre-term labor but that I probably just need to rest more (kinda hard when my husband won't be around for another 3 weeks and I am chasing around a 22 month old). My doctor is going to do a transvaginal ultrasound on monday to measure the length of my cervix, then he said if I contract a ton, he won't really be that concerned if my cervix is long. Does anyone have any opinions or experience with having this type of ultrasound?
mom_of_steele is offline  
#9 of 82 Old 08-16-2009, 01:41 PM
 
Intertwined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the midst of Twinsanity
Posts: 3,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of the things I did with lot of kids and needing more rest was to lock us all into a bedroom, turn on a movie, and then we vegged for a couple hours while I layed down and pounded water.

At 33 weeks I had to reach out to an online moms support group and ask for help. I was having intense bouts of contractions that were concerning even if they weren't making cervical change. I spent 3 weeks just taking it really easy (not technically BED rest, just rest). People came over and made meals, kept the kids busy, did light cleaning.

You know, I could use that NOW......
Intertwined is offline  
#10 of 82 Old 08-16-2009, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
 
mom_of_steele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh wow...lol, I have a hard time asking for, or accepting help!
mom_of_steele is offline  
#11 of 82 Old 08-16-2009, 04:09 PM
 
Intertwined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the midst of Twinsanity
Posts: 3,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do as well, but it was the health and safety of my babies at stake, you know? It was ask now and keep them inside, or ask later when I was trying to pump and get to the NICU with four young children at home, kwim? I had to get over it, and I'm so glad I did. I made some REALLY wonderful friends who all feel a special connection with my babies.
Intertwined is offline  
#12 of 82 Old 08-16-2009, 05:37 PM
 
yogafeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Twin Land
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IME I would trust my gut and go into L & D to be checked out. I went into labor at 29 weeks and experienced painful contractions at home... went in and they were able to nip it in the bud before it progressed anymore. I was sent home after 3 days(I begged to go home, they would have kept me if I wanted and I do regret going home) on a monitor and anything over 4 contractions per hour would have landed me back in the hospital to keep my babies in. With that, complete bed rest, and a terb pump (meds to slow contractions) I was able to keep my babies in for 12 more days and got the steroid shot to get their lungs going faster.

So basically I think that if the contractions are bugging you enough for your intuition to says something's up, get checked out. I never had braxton hicks during my pg and my contractions were painful immediately, so this is what pushed me to take action and get myself to L & D.

I agree with Intertwined that it is best to ask for help now while you can and pray that you don't have NICU babies like me! That's what I did, but I got both.

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
yogafeet is offline  
#13 of 82 Old 08-16-2009, 07:36 PM
 
mama_at_home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like I was getting constant contractions my whole 3rd trimester. I remember reading you shouldn't get more than a certain amount in a hour, but I remember it was common for me to get 10-15 in a hour. Everything set them off-sitting down, standing up, walking across the room, reaching up to grab a plate, rolling over, etc. I was plenty hydrated and spent most of my time lounging on the couch, but nothing was stopping them. I carried them to 40 weeks 1 day, and when my midwife checked me at 39 weeks or so, I was barely dilated to a 1. For me, constant contractions was a normal part of my twin pregnancy. It is hard to know what is normal and what is pre-term labor, so I agree it's always best to be on the safe side and call your midwife or doctor. It can be stressful! :

Blessed mama of four
::
mama_at_home is offline  
#14 of 82 Old 08-16-2009, 07:40 PM
 
mama_at_home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthing View Post
And if the babies are having a big growth spurt...oh goodness can it cause lots of contractions! I had them a ton through the whole thing, but they were just toning contractions, and not the real deal until the end.
That must be what I was having. I was still nursing my 2 year old and that set off some huge contractions and my midwife said it was helping to tone my uterus for labor. In my case, it was totally normal, but it could be warning signs for someone else.

Blessed mama of four
::
mama_at_home is offline  
#15 of 82 Old 08-16-2009, 11:08 PM
 
bklynem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like me starting at 22 weeks. It freaked me out and my doctor told me on the phone to go to L&D to get checked out for preterm labor. They confirmed that they were "toning" or non-labor contractions and they felt they were nothing to worry about despite the frequency. Since then I have checked with my doctor two more times, and both times he said that they are just braxton-hicks and unrelated to preterm labor.

Having said that, I really hate having them so frequently, so I try to avoid things that bring them on (walking while carrying a bag, for example) and when they come really frequently I lie down for a few hours or all day long until my uterus calms itself.

In short, I would definitely get them thoroughly checked out the first time (or couple of times) you experience them at this frequency, but it will probably turn out to be nothing to worry about. Good luck!
bklynem is offline  
#16 of 82 Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
mom_of_steele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
Everything set them off-sitting down, standing up, walking across the room, reaching up to grab a plate, rolling over, etc. I was plenty hydrated and spent most of my time lounging on the couch, but nothing was stopping them.
Holy cow, that is exactly how I feel...pretty much everything I do starts a contraction! Well, I had my doctors appointment yesterday and he said I am a tiny bit thinned (which is normal for twins at this point he said) and there is no dilation. He said all the contracting I was having was actually good for the uterus as long as it is not associated with pre-term labor. He also said that contractions and pre-term labor don't have THAT strong of a correlation unless the contractions are accompanied by any bleeding or spotting, or any other pre-term labor symptoms. So, he is apparently not concerned so I guess I won't be either. It's just so weird cause I have had two other doctors that were so big into the "number" of contractions...and were totally stressing the "lie down if you have more than 4 an hour, and call or go in if they don't go away" thing. But I guess for now all is well, which is good for me!
mom_of_steele is offline  
#17 of 82 Old 08-18-2009, 05:40 PM
 
~bookcase~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the middle of sweet chaos.
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i had no sign of pre term labour other than contractions that kicked off all the time. no show until it was way too late to do anything about it. i think he's talking silly tbh. i had runs of contractions for weeks before labour with my singletons too, but multiples are different. i would say to avoid dtd as well btw, or limit how often, because if everything is triggering them that might well send you over the edge. just my two cents though. i'm a preemie mummy and it will shape my view

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

~bookcase~ is offline  
#18 of 82 Old 08-18-2009, 05:42 PM
 
~bookcase~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the middle of sweet chaos.
Posts: 1,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and how can thinning be ok at 28 weeks!?!?! :

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

~bookcase~ is offline  
#19 of 82 Old 08-19-2009, 07:37 PM
 
OGirlieMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_of_steele View Post
Holy cow, that is exactly how I feel...pretty much everything I do starts a contraction! Well, I had my doctors appointment yesterday and he said I am a tiny bit thinned (which is normal for twins at this point he said) and there is no dilation. He said all the contracting I was having was actually good for the uterus as long as it is not associated with pre-term labor. He also said that contractions and pre-term labor don't have THAT strong of a correlation unless the contractions are accompanied by any bleeding or spotting, or any other pre-term labor symptoms. So, he is apparently not concerned so I guess I won't be either. It's just so weird cause I have had two other doctors that were so big into the "number" of contractions...and were totally stressing the "lie down if you have more than 4 an hour, and call or go in if they don't go away" thing. But I guess for now all is well, which is good for me!
All of this is bizarre and contradictory to my own experience of PTL at 27 weeks and birth at 29. I did not have any pain with my contractions, no spotting, no bleeding, and I really felt just fine other than having regular contractions and then suddenly funnelling, effacing, and beginning to dilate. I'd be uncomfortable with that assessment.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
OGirlieMama is offline  
#20 of 82 Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter
 
mom_of_steele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh great! Now everybody is scaring me...I was all excited that I was just fine. I don't know anymore, everyone is telling me different things. I mean, I am being seen once a week now, and they will be checking the length of my cervix two more times and then start checking for dilation. I just don't feel like I can lay around on the couch all day. I get so depressed, I have to get out and do stuff. I do lay down and hydrate when I am contracting a lot though.
mom_of_steele is offline  
#21 of 82 Old 08-20-2009, 08:08 AM
 
bklynem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know how you feel mom_of_steele. I was so worried about my contractions, I asked three different doctors in the practice about it--once in L&D, once on the phone, and once when I saw my regular OB. The practice specializes in high-risk and multiples,and they all gave me the same answer--that I shouldn't worry. So if that's what your doctor is telling you, enjoy the relaxation and think positive. Trust that any real problems will be spotted right away now that you're being so closely monitored. After some time you'll feel more confident about what the contractions really mean for your body. Hang in there!
bklynem is offline  
#22 of 82 Old 08-23-2009, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
 
mom_of_steele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well thanks...I feel a little better now 29 weeks and still pregnant! So we will just hang in there and see!
mom_of_steele is offline  
#23 of 82 Old 08-27-2009, 06:12 PM
 
vachi73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm right there with you! I am 26w with twins, but have two other children, so this is my third pregnancy. I have had "BH" contrax for a while, probably since 20 weeks or so, but they've picked up in frequency and intensity in the last week or two.

I asked my MFM (perinatologist) at my last appt about this, and he said he didn't want me contracting more than 3x an hour, including BH or non-painful contrax. I have only approached that once, this past Sunday night, when DH dragged me to a boring work-related dinner and I had to stand around outside in the heat for a while in heels and a dress. Once I got some fluid and cooled down, they passed. My MFM also said that if they put me on the monitor, they'd see 3-4 contrax each hour, even though I might only be feeling 1 or 2 ... and that's normal at this point, with a third pregnancy, and twins.

My OB, on the other hand, said no more than 4 in an hour, and to try a glass of wine + bath + water (mentioned by lots of PP) first. I liked the glass of wine part, and have taken it to heart Kidding, but I do have a 1/2 glass on many nights when I am contracting.

I also have transvag u/s every other week to check my cervix. It's no big deal ... they simply measure the length of the cervix, then see if it "funnels" or opens when they apply pressure to the fundus of the uterus. So far, I've held steady at 3.7cm long and no funneling. Obviously that will change at some point -- I'll start to thin/efface, and will prob start to funnel, but I think it's a pretty good (positive) sign to still be closed at 25 weeks, which I was. Hopefully you are, too.

So ... feeling any better?! I think you're within normal limits based on your description of events. However, I do agree with other posters that you should trust your intuition; if you're seriously concerned, please -- call or be seen. It's not worth it to be "proud" about this stuff, and the last thing you want to do is to forego asking or going, then have preemies that might have been delayed a bit longer -- at least long enough to get steroid treatments to mature their lungs, if indicated and you're amenable to that intervention (I sure am, especially before 33-34 weeks ... but I'm probably alone in that on MDC! )

GL!! Hang in there, mama, and keep me posted.
vachi73 is offline  
#24 of 82 Old 08-27-2009, 07:05 PM
 
Intertwined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the midst of Twinsanity
Posts: 3,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
at least long enough to get steroid treatments to mature their lungs, if indicated and you're amenable to that intervention (I sure am, especially before 33-34 weeks ... but I'm probably alone in that on MDC! )
No way, you're not alone! MANY of the MoMs here had steroids before their babies were born prematurely and are very thankful for it!
Intertwined is offline  
#25 of 82 Old 08-27-2009, 11:42 PM
 
OGirlieMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
No way, you're not alone! MANY of the MoMs here had steroids before their babies were born prematurely and are very thankful for it!
Yeah, I've never heard anyone on MDC say they refused steroid shots when the threat of premature birth was on the table. I'm sure someone must have done so, but I've never heard it, even here. I sure as heck had mine at 27 weeks!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
OGirlieMama is offline  
#26 of 82 Old 08-28-2009, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
 
mom_of_steele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
vachi73: Yeah...my instincts actually say I'm fine. But what if I'm wrong ya know? I also have the transvaginals done...and a few days ago my cervix was at 3.9 cm, so I guess we're okay there. I have actually not heard of the funneling thing. I'll have to ask my OB. The thing is...my OB said that as long as my cervix is still long and I don't have any bleeding or anything with the contractions, that they are probably not related to dilating. It's hard to say cause I know there are those moms on here that had twins early due to such things ya know? But, I am going on 30 weeks now and having been having seriously sometimes as many as 20 contractions or more an hour, which to some extent has been going on...off and on for many weeks. So, it's like my OB said...if I went by the whole "no more than 4 an hour, try to get them stopped and then come in if they don't...how many times would I be coming into L&D?" I'm like..."Oh, several times a day, haha". So that's why he said not to worry about it unless I am showing other signs. I feel comfortable with it since I am being seen every week. I mean, I have contracted SO much in the last several weeks, and it obviously hasn't been associated with dilating or pre-term labor, and I realize that one of these times it might be, but I do try to take it easy when I can...there is just nothing really I can do about it because I even contracts from just sitting or laying on the couch.
mom_of_steele is offline  
#27 of 82 Old 08-28-2009, 11:12 AM
 
yogafeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Twin Land
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post
Yeah, I've never heard anyone on MDC say they refused steroid shots when the threat of premature birth was on the table. I'm sure someone must have done so, but I've never heard it, even here. I sure as heck had mine at 27 weeks!

Yeah. Steroids and the meds at birth saved my baby A's life. DEFINITELY important if pre term labor arises.

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
yogafeet is offline  
#28 of 82 Old 08-28-2009, 07:54 PM
 
Intertwined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the midst of Twinsanity
Posts: 3,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_of_steele View Post
vachi73: Yeah...my instincts actually say I'm fine. But what if I'm wrong ya know? I also have the transvaginals done...and a few days ago my cervix was at 3.9 cm, so I guess we're okay there. I have actually not heard of the funneling thing. I'll have to ask my OB. The thing is...my OB said that as long as my cervix is still long and I don't have any bleeding or anything with the contractions, that they are probably not related to dilating. It's hard to say cause I know there are those moms on here that had twins early due to such things ya know? But, I am going on 30 weeks now and having been having seriously sometimes as many as 20 contractions or more an hour, which to some extent has been going on...off and on for many weeks. So, it's like my OB said...if I went by the whole "no more than 4 an hour, try to get them stopped and then come in if they don't...how many times would I be coming into L&D?" I'm like..."Oh, several times a day, haha". So that's why he said not to worry about it unless I am showing other signs. I feel comfortable with it since I am being seen every week. I mean, I have contracted SO much in the last several weeks, and it obviously hasn't been associated with dilating or pre-term labor, and I realize that one of these times it might be, but I do try to take it easy when I can...there is just nothing really I can do about it because I even contracts from just sitting or laying on the couch.
I'd really be curious if you've been screened for Bacterial Vaginosis? I had a pregnancy with a singleton much like you're describing and I am pretty sure I had BV at that time. I also had it with the twins but it was caught by my MW and we treated holistically. I did NOT have as many contractions with them as I had in her pregnancy (and also didn't suffer from chronic UTIs either). It's not something that a typical OB will screen for. I'd ask. Also, you might as to have the fetal fibronectin test done. It's a simple swab that can be done at the same time as the BV swab. If it's negative it's a 90% certainty that your babies will not be born in the coming 2 weeks and you could relax. If it's positive then you'd know to be more careful and cautious. Just my thoughts!
Intertwined is offline  
#29 of 82 Old 08-29-2009, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
 
mom_of_steele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd ask. Also, you might as to have the fetal fibronectin test done. It's a simple swab that can be done at the same time as the BV swab. If it's negative it's a 90% certainty that your babies will not be born in the coming 2 weeks and you could relax. If it's positive then you'd know to be more careful and cautious. Just my thoughts! [/QUOTE]

Yeah they actually did the FFT about 3 weeks ago and it was negative, but I guess my 2 weeks is up huh? Yeah I'll have to ask him about the BV thing at my apt. on monday. I'm also curious about that funneling thing. We will see. I mean, even tonight it was making me wonder again...cause they are SO hard and strong sometimes (not really painful I guess...just REALLY uncomfortable) that I kinda have to stop what I'm doing and try to breath for a minute ya know? And this may sound really odd so don't laugh...but every single time I contract, I feel like I have to pee SO bad, that I wonder sometimes if I am just having to breath through them cause I am focusing so hard on not peeing, haha. Does that make sense? Am I just weird?
mom_of_steele is offline  
#30 of 82 Old 08-29-2009, 04:02 AM
 
Intertwined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the midst of Twinsanity
Posts: 3,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh dude, that SO sounds like a UTI. I felt that exact same way in the pregnancy I was speaking of before. I could be wrong but it was my experience. I never, ever had typical "uti" symptoms when I was pregnant. Just that overwhelming urge to pee during a contraction and LOTS of them.
Intertwined is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off