Vaginal birthers....what was your labor like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-17-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was it shorter or longer than your previous labors?

Was it more painful because of the two babies?

Anything you could tell me would be awesome!!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#2 of 19 Old 08-17-2009, 04:15 PM

Great question! Subbing!!!!

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#3 of 19 Old 08-17-2009, 05:27 PM

I'll post a link to my birth story on my blog .....

My labor was fast and furious, as my previous singletons. Baby A -- piece of cake. Worst part was the f***in stirrups. Baby B -- different story, as he was a breech extraction. Worst pain of my life, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#4 of 19 Old 08-17-2009, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Must be brief, since I'm swamped at work:

No previous births to compare my twins to, but I can't think that labor was any longer or more painful because of the double load. How twins affected me: (entering into speculation, so take this with a grain of salt)

Both my babes were vertex, from about 34 weeks as far as I can remember. but they were facing each other, like they were hugging, with Baby B's chin over Baby A's shoulder. This meant Baby A had a hard time descending in a good position for labor. Long labor, but not very painful, just tiring. Once fully dilated, I got on the birthing stool and the apprentice held one side of my belly up while I pushed Baby A out. Other than that funny move, my contractions petering out, and jump-starting it all with castor oil, labor seemed pretty "normal."

The thing I was thrown off by and wish I had mentally prepared for, was how weird the hour between births was. I had just given birth for the first time, but couldn't moon over my babe. I nursed her, but basically handed her off right way so I could focus on birthing Baby B. It felt kinda unfair, but you do what you have to do. I was glad my mom was there to take Belle (Baby A) and coo to her and look into her eyes and keep her warm, while my DH could stay with me.

HTH!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#5 of 19 Old 08-17-2009, 06:12 PM

i was on meds to stop contractions for several weeks so i had really putzy labor for like a month.

after two days in the hospital dilated to 6 i asked my dr to break my water. after about an hour it started hurting during contractions. the nurse checked an i was 7. another 10 minutes of contractions that hurt like that (could still talk through them, but was getting annoyed and grouchy) and baby a came out butt first. then baby b went into distress and the dr did a breech extraction.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#6 of 19 Old 08-17-2009, 07:11 PM

My labor and birth with twins was *much* easier than labor and birth with my dd. With hers, my water broke spontaneously, so the contrax were much more intense right away w/o that cushion there. I also had cervical scar tissue that was not breaking on its own, so dilation wasn't happening at all for about 8 hours until my mw broke it and took me from 1 to 5cms instantaneously. (YOWCH!) Total hard labor with her was 13 hours.
With my boys, I was only certain (after a few hours of odd contrax) that I was in labor around midnight. By 5 am they were about 3-5 mins apart. Boys were born 7 hours later. Even at 10 cms, I remember thinking that it wasn't as bad as I'd remembered. Now, as for pushing twice...well, that's another story (I'm not so fond of the pushing part).

ETA: She was vertex, LOA, they were both vertex but OP. Pushed with my daughter for 2 1/2 hours, total pushing with my boys was around 20 minutes.

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#7 of 19 Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 PM

Mine were my 3rd & 4th babies. Baby A was born very fast (41 minutes from the first contraction) which was just over twice as fast as my 2nd baby (she was 90 minutes). Baby B came 2 hours 32 minutes after Baby A but there was a short break in there (maybe 10-15 min). He (baby B) gave me back labor and that wasn't fun but overall their births were very easy and obviously quick and were beautiful, fantastic, wonderful experiences for me. Oh, both were borth vertex but I believe baby B was breech-transverse until he eventually rotated during labor.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#8 of 19 Old 08-17-2009, 08:08 PM

My easiest labor ever! However, they were my smallest and I got "tricked" into an Epidural with the twins... My husband enjoyed that I was not crushing his hand this time around. That being said, I WILL NOT BE TRICKED AGAIN!!! HA HA HA <maniacal laughter>!!

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
#9 of 19 Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 PM

#10 of 19 Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 PM

Was it shorter or longer than your previous labors? A bit longer because it kept stalling out. I labored to 3 cm at 33 weeks (Maybe 2 hours of real labor) and Mag Sulfate stopped it. Then I labored to 6 cm at 35 weeks (about 3 hours of contractions). It stopped all on it's own after we entered the OR. Then at 37.5 weeks I labored for 2 hours and reached 9 cm. It stalled out for 4 hours at that point while hanging outin the OR. Piocin didn't get things going (barely felt a thing) and so I requested the MW break Drew's bag of waters. 30 minutes later he was born. Will followed him 28 minutes after that.

Was it more painful because of the two babies? Nope. It was more painful because the OR was freezing and I couldn't relax because I was shivering so bad. DS1 was the most painful - induction due to pre-e. DD was the easiest. The boys were difficult because of the stall-outs. I spent two weeks at home, waiting, recovering from the effects of Mag Sulfate. Then another two weeks at home dilated to 6+ cm and somewhat uncomfortable.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#11 of 19 Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 PM

Singleton #1 - 4.5 hr labor - hospital birth - painful

Singleton #2 - 2.5 hr labor - homebirth - painless!

Twins - 5.5 hr labor - homebirth - pain wasn't too bad; took me longer to dilate; fully dilated for an hour before I felt like pushing; babies were born 8 minutes apart.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#12 of 19 Old 08-19-2009, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all these replies! They have been very helpful!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#13 of 19 Old 08-21-2009, 01:47 AM

My water broke around 7:30am, and really nothing happened until about 4:30pm that day. I then kicked in and Baby A was born at 8:21pm, and B at 11:30pm. In between the births, I spent the first two hours cuddling Serena and eating. I thought that 15 minutes had passed in that time. Although my body didn't backtrack much in diation, I wasn't "laboring" either. We finally broke Sierra's water bag, and it was back to work for me. I had some intense moments before each birth, but I barely remember that part.
My DD1 was induced with pit after several days of ruptured membranes, so that labor was quick, similiar to how the twins' labor went. But with the twins I was at home, and felt so grounded and safe, I think the only thing that was holding me back was my concern about DD1 and where she would be during the birth. (I knew she couldn't handle the birth). Once I found out she was ok, I moved into transition almost immediately. I have to say that it seemed like one hour total, but then again, during it all, it was intense, but do-able with good support.
#14 of 19 Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 PM

My labor was 18 hours and it didn't feel any different than a singleton labor, except for the fact that it was incredibly hard to get comfortable and move around. I spent a lot of time laboring in the birthing pool. It was painful and felt very similar to my labor with my first ds. Nothing out of the ordinary until it was time to push out the 2nd baby.

Blessed mama of four
::
#15 of 19 Old 08-22-2009, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Short and easy.

Woke up at 1am in labour, but didn't figure out that that's what it actually was for about 45 minutes. Rather than mild contractions, I just felt like I had to pee (yet again!) but returning to bed, I immediately felt like I needed to pee again, even though I had emptied my bladder.

Labour felt exactly like with my singletons once contractions kicked in. I did not find that my somewhat-increased girth made it any more uncomfortable to position myself at home or during the (normally) 1.5-hour drive to hospital.

One surprise was that when I wiped myself another pee, my water for Twin A broke with a soft pop and a flood. I had slow leaks at the beginning of labour with my first two and a pop/flood as the head was crowning with my third baby. So that was a momentary surge of excitement that perhaps Babe would be showing up right then in the bathroom at home!

From first awaking until birth of the first twin, my labour was 3 hours and 10 minutes. This is less than half of what it was with my other kids. The twins were in the 7-7.5 lb range versus 9-11 lb with my other kids.

Several minutes of nothing after birth of first twin, then regular contractions resumed and second twin was born 17 minutes after his brother. It all felt EXACTLY like birthing the first twin or any singleton. The only difference was the "long slide first" as he was double footling breech, so his body exited before his head did.

It was definitely my easiest delivery.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#16 of 19 Old 08-24-2009, 12:06 AM

First birth-15 hour 10.6 lb baby
Twin Birth-27 hours 6 lbs 10 oz. and 5 lb 9 oz

Twin birth was a loooooong labor which ended in me taking pitocin. Which was all I needed. because once I took it the babies came 2 hours later. The pushing was much easier with the twins. Only pushed 30 minutes. But then again my twins were much smaller then my first one

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#17 of 19 Old 08-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena 22 View Post

The thing I was thrown off by and wish I had mentally prepared for, was how weird the hour between births was. I had just given birth for the first time, but couldn't moon over my babe. I nursed her, but basically handed her off right way so I could focus on birthing Baby B. It felt kinda unfair, but you do what you have to do. I was glad my mom was there to take Belle (Baby A) and coo to her and look into her eyes and keep her warm, while my DH could stay with me.

HTH!
Ooohhh! A hole in my plan! Thanks! Hmm. Maybe my son's labor support could take baby A and DS could hold him/her while I birth baby B....

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#18 of 19 Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 PM

I also had a really hard time pay attention to baby a while I was in the process of birthing baby b. Unfortunately for me, baby b's contractions started at 4 minutes post. I was basically like "HI BABY" and then wanted someone to take her so I could focus on B.
#19 of 19 Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 PM

I had a very long labor (41 hours) but it was inhibited by the drugs I was given to sloooow my contractions. So basically my labor was fighting that. I had never given birth before, so I have nothing to compare it to. I caved and got the epi when I got to the hospital b/c I was like a deer who was happily laboring at home and then surrounded by all of these medical professionals as soon as I got there, fully dilated. I do not regret the epidural.... I feel like it saved me from regressing emotionally and having them then suggest a c-section. I gave birth in an operating room with about 15-18 people waiting (30 weekers). It was still completely joyous but also really scary b/c I did not know what the outcome would be, but everyone stayed very positive for me. I obv. have different experiences, but the hardest thing for me was not getting to hold baby a and not being able to nurse until weeks later. Also not being able to complete my pregnancy was very, very difficult.

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page