How much do they look alike? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much do your fraternals look alike?

So many people (including their pediatrician) ask if I'm sure they are not identical. I admit they are almost exactly alike everywhere but their faces - same ears, same body shape, same feet, same hands, same hairline (swirl is on the opposite side of their heads), same hair texture.

When their faces are relaxed (sleeping, just woke up, etc) I have a very hard time telling them apart. When their personalities light up, I think it is very easy to tell them apart.

Here are some pics:
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 03:30 PM

My DZ twins are 2 now, and they barely look like they're related.

Even as newborns, in the first three days, they looked totally different. The only time I've ever confused them was once when I fell asleep nursing DD2, and while I was sleeping DS wanted to nurse, and DH slipped DD away and slid DS in next to me and helped him latch, all while I was soundly asleep. (Good man, my DH!) Anyway, we had run out of clean boy sleepers, and DH had changed DS into a pink sleeper after a messy poop, so I woke up with a baby in pink latched on and thought it was DD. I was so bewildered.

Anyway, they are both blonde, but that's where it stops. One has blue eyes, the other brown, and their head shape, body shape, facial features, etc. are very different.

DS has a round face and chubby cheeks and is built solidly with big sturdy legs and a round toddler belly and big ham-hands. He has rosy cheeks and pink-and-white coloring, and curly hair.

DD has a fine-boned face and delicate features, straight hair, brown eyes, and is built lightly, with little bird-bones and tiny hands and feet. Despite the blond hair, she's sallow-skinned like me.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 09-07-2009, 05:45 PM

Have you actually had the genetic testing done?

Looking at the pictures, they certainly look monozygotic to me. My MZ nieces look similarly different when they are active, but very similar when relaxed.

My DZ boys, on the other hand, look like they could be brothers, but not necessarily. People get their names wrong often because they forget which is the blond and which is brunet, but nobody ever thinks they might be identical.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
Old 09-07-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

We haven't done the testing. It never occurred to me to do it. We found out about twins at a 7 wk appt. I thought I was 12 weeks or so, and when the MW couldn't find a HB with the doppler, she did a quick U/S in the exam room. When she found TWO HBs, she sent me down to radiology for a more detailed U/S. I saw two placentas, egg sacs, and two amniotic sacs that appeared to be on opposite sides of my uterus. It just seemed so unlikely that they would be monozygotic.

Is there any reason, beyond curiousity, why we should find out if they are monozygotic? At some point, I probably will test, just to find out.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
Old 09-07-2009, 06:21 PM

our guys look way different - one is blonde/blue eyed and one if brown hair/hazel eyed. i can't tell from pics of yours - definately could be mz. did you have the testing to see for sure?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2665/...57e002046a.jpg

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
Old 09-07-2009, 06:33 PM

I just looked at the pics, and yeah, they do look like MZ is a strong possibility.

To other mamas here-- is there some benefit to knowing for sure that twins are MZ, thereby making the testing worth the expense? I can understand that curiosity alone is enough, but is there some other reason to know for sure?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 09-07-2009, 08:46 PM

I don't know of any reason to care unless one of the twins has a heath issue and is looking for donor tissue.

Most of the people I know who have done the testing have just become fed up with their own questions.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 PM

I am interested to see if my twins look very much alike.

All my other children have the same facial features except for my first DS (they all have the same parents). Hair color, noses, chins, shape of faces, all the same; the only thing different about DS1 is his nose. He got his Daddy's nose and the rest of the features come from me. It is strange though that I have 5 children and each one of them has a different eye color, and it seemed to go dark to light. We have a deep brown, almost coal colored; lighter brown; green; blue; and hazel.

Our last DD was the spitting image of DS3...it was the first thing I said when I got to see her, "She looks just like Isaac". They are also the two with the green tinge to their eyes.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
Old 09-07-2009, 11:46 PM

Nothing alike.

Ds is round faced, chubby cheeked, pale skin, brown eyes and red hair.

Ds is oval faced, thin, more olive skin, blue-grey eyes and blond hair.

We could tell them apart at birth along with our two older children. It still amazes me the number of people we meet who say "oh, you can tell they're twins" or "they look like twins". Really?!? I mean we joke (between dh and myself) that dd might not be ours (she was an emergency c-section delivery so neither one of us saw her actually born) because she looks so different than our other children. I think people just feel like all twins should look alike in some way.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 09-08-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post
When their faces are relaxed (sleeping, just woke up, etc) I have a very hard time telling them apart. When their personalities light up, I think it is very easy to tell them apart.

Here are some pics:
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow
I have said the same exact same thing about my MZ girls (who also had their own placentas and their own sacs). Your boys do look very much alike. Do you know their blood types? That could either confirm that they are DZ or deepen the mystery.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hergrace View Post
Most of the people I know who have done the testing have just become fed up with their own questions.
Yep, fed up is right. And I only waited about a month to test...though I now think it was kind of crazy spending $120 since I still can't tell them apart myself . So, take this with a grain of "I-can't-tell-my-own-twins-apart" salt when I say they look pretty darn MZ to me

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
Old 09-08-2009, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When they were born, there was only one placenta and the doc couldn't see if it was one or fused so he pronounced them identical. And for the first three months we really couldn't tell them apart just that their ears had a different shape. Now, they have the same face, but different features. R is brunette with red highlights like mine, but with my skin tone (light) and D is blonde with a darker skin tone like my DH. They were wearing Haloween costumes that had hoods on them so only their forhead to their chin was showing and I got them mixed up in pictures. Who knows. They have their own personalities and they certainly look related, so unless there is an issue, we have no desire to do the test at all. (tried to post the picture, but it wouldn't upload)

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

Old 09-08-2009, 04:30 AM

Mine look totally different to me
But every once in awhile in pics I have to really think about who is who

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...S/DSC05021.jpg

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
Old 09-08-2009, 10:02 AM

Strangers or casual acquaintances sometimes assume my boys are identical. I'm not sure how. They are both blonde-haired, blue eyed, but one is taller, one has wavy hair, and their face structure, while similar, is not the same. Even the shade of blue of their eyes is different. As they grow, they look less and less alike.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Old 09-08-2009, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Joanna, it's very possible for your twins to have separate sacs and separate placentas, and still be identical. Examination of the membranes at birth can confirm MZ twins (if any membranes are shared), but cannot rule it out. If the egg split early enough, each baby will have its own placenta, etc. If the egg splits later, the babies might share the same amniotic sac, which is not too common. If the egg splits really late, you end up with conjoined twins.

So unless you have genetic testing done, you can only guess. Only you can decide how important it is to you.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post
We haven't done the testing. It never occurred to me to do it. We found out about twins at a 7 wk appt. I thought I was 12 weeks or so, and when the MW couldn't find a HB with the doppler, she did a quick U/S in the exam room. When she found TWO HBs, she sent me down to radiology for a more detailed U/S. I saw two placentas, egg sacs, and two amniotic sacs that appeared to be on opposite sides of my uterus. It just seemed so unlikely that they would be monozygotic.

Is there any reason, beyond curiousity, why we should find out if they are monozygotic? At some point, I probably will test, just to find out.
I have di/di MZ twins. I was told from 12 weeks on that they were DZ. They had seperate placentas and seperate sacs. After they were born, they looked identical, same hair color, eye color, and the big clue was the same blood type. The nurses in the NICU could not tell them apart except twin a had a small birth mark on her belly. At 4 months old we had them DNA tested and they are ID. When I told my OB, he didn't believe me

I would have them tested just to be sure. It would bug me not to...

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:16 PM

I am 27 and we still aren't 100% on if my twin and I are MZ or not. Some changes can happen after the egg has split, so if they are very similiar but have a view differences that can account for it. ( according to the in the womb program I watched)

My twin is taller then me, but when we were ten we were the exact same everything. I'd say the first twins really do look identical. Apple pie's don't. I LOVE twins. so I hope you don't mind me crashing your club. I always hoped for some of my own, it just never happened.

here we are as babies. (we were breastfed too)

thats my sisters and I. my twin and I are in the purple

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:50 PM

I think yours could be MZ. And in my experience on this board and others, MANY MZ mamas think that there is no way until they get the test back. You see their personality underneath their features!

My DZ twins are boy/girl and look NOTHING alike. C is taller, heavier, and dark hair/light eyes. B is smaller, lighter, blond with hazel eyes. Their noses, eyes, ears, body types....all of it is completely different.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ire9months.jpg

My singletons look WAY more alike! In fact, my second and third are almost the same height and share a lot more features and my two older girls had they been born at the same time would have been mistaken for MZ twins all the time. They look that much alike in their baby pictures.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Love these threads, although I can't see all the pics.

My girls don't look that alike to me. Siblings, yes, but not that identical. But we tested and found out they are. With same sex, same blood type twins it's a real possibility.

One site I liked said: if they have the same coloring and non-family members have trouble telling the difference, they probably are identical.

HTH!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
Old 09-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePieBaby View Post
Mine look totally different to me
But every once in awhile in pics I have to really think about who is who

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...S/DSC05021.jpg
Yeah, in that pic I'd say MZ right off the bat. I know a single pic can be misleading, but I'd be curious to see more.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 PM

mine look nothing alike - when people suggest that they do, i think they're not really paying attention

a is smaller, with olive skin and dark hair like me. grey eyes.
n is heavier, but is also built bigger. fair skin, blond w/blue eyes like my dh.

they are fraternal for sure! no doubt whatsoever.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dividedsky View Post
mine look nothing alike - when people suggest that they do, i think they're not really paying attention

a is smaller, with olive skin and dark hair like me. grey eyes.
n is heavier, but is also built bigger. fair skin, blond w/blue eyes like my dh.

they are fraternal for sure! no doubt whatsoever.

they sound just like our boys.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
Old 09-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Im not a MOM, but I thought that the opposite hair curl was an identical twin thing? Because of the egg splitting. Similar to how one if often left-handed and the other right-handed. But I could be way off! Id say they were MZ judging by the photos, Apple pie's too. Fraternal would be similar, but like siblings, not exactly the same- sometimes not even close!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 PM
2xy

I don't have twins, but a good friend of mine does. They're 15yo girls and look like they come from the same family, but they don't look like identicals. And I've seen baby pictures of them side by side, and they didn't look alike then, either.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post
Yeah, in that pic I'd say MZ right off the bat. I know a single pic can be misleading, but I'd be curious to see more.
I think they look most alike in that pic, in the rest you can sooo tell them apart.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...S/DSC05265.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...S/DSC04977.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...S/DSC04638.jpg

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
Old 09-09-2009, 07:16 AM

mine are b/g and obviously dz, but my son, twin a, is the spitting image of my eldest son. couldn't tell them apart if they'd been in utero together.
i still took pictures when my first two were born, so we have evidence. lol. they also move the same way etc....cute!

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePieBaby View Post
I just wanna squeeze 'em! Thanks for sharing your pictures. I am looking forward to my boys coming!

OP: They do look MZ to me. But I am no expert! They are cuties regardless! :

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Now I am really wondering. We don't have their blood types, but I am O+ and DH is O-, so I'm not sure that would help that much. I guess we'll get them tested when I get the money.

ApplePie - They look MZ to me as well. I laughed because I'm sure you can spot the differences right off, but to the rest of us they look VERY similar. Same as the response to my pics!

User Tag List