What is your favorite carrier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-11-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We need very few items for the new little ones, but some carriers are on my dream list. So, which ones do you prefer and why? I currently have a sling (I think it's a maya wrap). I loved that I could easily nurse in it and it was useful for a long time. However, the one shoulder wearing really started to kill my back when dd was getting bigger (~ 20lbs). I also have a snugli, which we didn't use much, but I foresee getting more use with two.

I would want to use one for quick trips from the car to dd's preschool, or grocery shopping, or to use during church services and volunteer work where I needs some hands free. I would like the option to carry both twins at once, so carriers that would work for that.

TIA!

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#2 of 14 Old 09-11-2009, 03:47 PM

I will be watching this thread. For my singleton, I loved the Ergo. So easy and comfy. But I am not sure what I will be doing with the babies. I have a ring sling, pouch sling, and the Ergo.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#3 of 14 Old 09-11-2009, 03:51 PM

When they were little, I would wear two pouch slings. However, I could not do that for long as I found that the slings slipped on my shoulders and started cutting into my neck.

My best success for carrying 2 at once was a Beco on the back and a Mei Tai on the front. I liked the balance of one on my back and one on my front. I wanted the security of a buckled carrier on my back and liked a softer carrier on the front to make the whole set up less bulky.

If you are looking for a carrier to wear one at a time, you want it to be secure enough that you are genuinely hands free. Anything that is less secure than that made me uncomfortable as I always needed a hand free to help another child if necessary. I found that I couldn't be that secure with the pouch slings.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#4 of 14 Old 09-11-2009, 06:17 PM

loved my hotslings when they were under 10lbs, now i am all about the ergo! so comfy, and the boys love being in them.
#5 of 14 Old 09-11-2009, 09:18 PM

I love my wrap, and so do the babies. Mine is a Phat Baby Wrap, but it's pretty much the same as a Moby. When they were little I could put them both in it and be completely hands free. Now I wear one in the wrap on the front and one on the back in a Beco. Here's a picture from when the girls were around 3-4 months.

Now, for a quick out-and-about in the car, I always leave my First Journey in the van. It's very quick to snap on and still comfy on your back. The only carrier my husband will use is the Baby Trekker. These are both great as they are completely machine washable, one downside to the Beco (I seem to recall that the instructions said not to wash it)

I did also use a ring sling when they were tiny (with both in one) but I never found that to be a completely hands free operation. I still throw one in the stroller when we go for a walk just in case though.

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
#6 of 14 Old 09-11-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ2+2 View Post
I love my wrap, and so do the babies. Mine is a Phat Baby Wrap, but it's pretty much the same as a Moby. When they were little I could put them both in it and be completely hands free. Now I wear one in the wrap on the front and one on the back in a Beco. Here's a picture from when the girls were around 3-4 months.

Such an adorable picture!!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#7 of 14 Old 09-11-2009, 10:02 PM

I can't get the knack of double carriers, but my favorite I think will always be a ring sling. I usually put one baby in the ring sling, and carry the other on the opposite hip. A close second is the mei tai.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#8 of 14 Old 09-12-2009, 02:33 AM

When they were small, I was able to wear them in my wrap (I have a Moby). I did that until they were about 4 mos, I think, and got too long for that.

Now that they're bigger I've been double wearing them more again. I've put one in the Moby in front and Mei Tai in the back, but that is very complicated. It's also difficult to do much with 40 pounds of baby strapped to you.

When I have to run in to preschool, etc I have had luck with the wrap. I put the wrap on at home and then put one baby in the wrap and the other one in a single stroller or just carry him/her on my hip. If I know I'm going to carry that one long enough to get tired, I put a pouch sling on too and do a hip carry with that baby.

I wouldn't invest in anything expensive just for double wearing them. I think having a wrap plus a beco/ergo would be great, especially if your DH would ever wear one in the beco/ergo. My pouch sling has come in handy lately but those are easy to make if you have any sewing skills.
#9 of 14 Old 09-12-2009, 07:05 AM

I love my Moby
My pouch sling was good until recently, now they feel too heavy
My husband prefers the mei tai

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
#10 of 14 Old 09-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hergrace View Post
When they were little, I would wear two pouch slings. However, I could not do that for long as I found that the slings slipped on my shoulders and started cutting into my neck.

My best success for carrying 2 at once was a Beco on the back and a Mei Tai on the front. I liked the balance of one on my back and one on my front. I wanted the security of a buckled carrier on my back and liked a softer carrier on the front to make the whole set up less bulky.
: I was going to say exactly the same thing re: pouch slings, and had the same recommendation for a beco and a mei tai (I would recommend the babyhawk brand). With the beco, you can easily put one baby on your back (from about 8 pounds), and a mei tai on the front will compliment it well. Two mei tais would also work, but there is more of a learning curve re: putting a tiny baby on your back in a mei tai.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#11 of 14 Old 09-12-2009, 09:31 PM

I've used a variety of different carriers since my twins were born almost 15 months ago. For the first few months I liked my moby wrap. I could carry both in the wrap fairly easily. Next I moved on to an Ergo for a back carry and mei tei for front carry. I could carry them individually with these carriers or together (they do get heavy together though and I only did it when I needed to). Now at the toddler stage I find I am using my hotsling a lot because I am tending to carry one baby at a time for very quick spurts. They want up for a bit, then want down, then the other one, etc... Or else I'm going out and need to be able to get them someplace together so I use the hotsling on one hip for one baby and carry the other baby.

I do know that I had to get over not being able to wear my twins as much as I wanted to. I wore my dd1 so much and looked forward to doing it with the twins but I found it just never worked out well for us. I'd get one settled in a carrier then the other one would want to nurse or be held. Then I'd have to change a diaper or prepare lunch for the older dc's. I don't know.....I'm sure they don't feel deprived but the snuggling wearing stage seemed to go by so fast here.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#12 of 14 Old 09-28-2009, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Love my Ergo, but we use it when I'm out with DH and we can each take one. So this year, on vacation was our first experience where I took both girls in the Ergos - one on the front and one on the back. Both needed to sleep and wanted Momma. It felt like being 38 weeks pregnant again in terms of weight load, but was otherwise OK. We walked around and the girls slept. Success!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#13 of 14 Old 09-29-2009, 12:10 AM

ILOVED my ring slings.. so much so that I ended up learning to make and later sell them. I use them with my own and for the the kid in my care. They are like the maya and wnderful... Let me know if you would like to try one, I can ship ya on if so.

Wife, Mama , Daughter, Best Friend, Manicurist.
#14 of 14 Old 09-29-2009, 03:27 PM

My favourite was (and still is, at 9 months) my Wrapsody Bali Stretch wrap - so easy to wear two little ones in, very easy to tie on and pop one in and out, and even easy to wear one on the back and one on the front in now. I find it has a much longer useful life than a Moby, and they are gorgeous

Jane, mama to DD (April 04), DS (Dec 05) and DS and DD (Jan 09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page