What is Your Favorite Stroller? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - I am wondering what stroller would be best for twins (due this winter). Preferably, it would go from infant to toddler stage while still staying intact! I have the Graco Snugride infant carrier car seats, so I was thinking of the Graco DuoGlider, which the car seats can snap into. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? I've read reviews; many are good, but some are mixed. I have also heard good things about the Kolcraft Contours stroller, which has several options for seating and also accepts the Graco car seats. Then there is the option of just getting a frame and then getting another stroller when the car seats are outgrown...Help! A good stroller is going to be an essential. I also have a soon-to-be 2 year-old, but I am thinking a triplet stroller would just be too much weight!
#2 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 01:27 PM

100% the Valco twin runabout with a toddler seat attached to the front. It is a costly stroller however you can get them second hand often on craigslist, etc. (that is where I got mine). Simply awesome and life changing for myself and my twins and a toddler.
#3 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 02:55 PM

I have a side by side stroller (the Tango) and love it. If I had to buy another stroller I would absolutely not buy an inline one, SBS has been so great. Plus they like to be able to hold hands and stuff. When we're out and about, like at the Zoo or aquarium, I can push the stroller up to an exhibit and they can both see. The only downside is that it can be a little tricky to get through doors sometimes, put you figure it out and often people will help you by holding the door open. (Tip: easiest way is to open the door and back through, while pulling the stroller by the front bar.)

One major upside to a SBS stroller? Now that they're eating solids, I can feed them when we're out by sitting in front of the stroller. Ever tried to wrestle two crawling babies on a picnic blanket without spilling all the food?
#4 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 03:13 PM

We love our Mountain Buggy Urban Double! :

Blessed mama of four
::
#5 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 10:57 PM

I have found that trying to find just one stroller to fit our needs isn't really possible. I know there are some posters here that don't like it, but I love my Snap-n-go for all the quick trips - e.g. quick run into the grocery store, appointments, etc. It means you can leave sleeping babies asleep and not have to lug around 2 heavy car seats. It has a really big basket underneath that can fit a lot of stuff in (like a lot of groceries!) Now, I have to admit, I find my new one a little difficult to steer. I had purchased a well-used one from another twin mama (it was an older model) and it turned on a dime one handed and was so smooth...then my dh took all 4 kids to the big box hardware store one evening and left the stroller in the parking lot : So, I now have a brand spankin' new one which looks lovely but they've changed the design a bit and now I find it much harder to steer.

I also have (for walks and longer outings) a Baby Jogger City Mini. I love how light weight and portable it is...really easy to fold up and totally fits in the van and through EVERY door. I looked at the Bob but man that thing was huge! The only thing I wish it had was inflatable tires instead of hard ones, but the babies don't seem to mind. I got a floor model so it was $100 off the original price. It has great canopies for shading the babies and storage behind each seat and underneath.

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
#6 of 21 Old 09-13-2009, 11:22 PM

Mountain Buggy, though if I also had a toddler, I'd go with the Valco with the toddler seat added.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#7 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 03:55 AM

I had a toddler when my twins were born so we got the valco runabout twin with the toddler seat and it has been awesome. I have heard rumors that you can fit 2 car seats on it of you buy 2 car seat attachment kits but I have never tried it myself.
Truth be told I have 4 strollers and I use all of them at different times. We had a snap and go when the babies were little and it was so handy for quick trips into a store, a little hard to steer though. I have a Maclaren Twin Triumph that I keep in the van since it fold small and is convenient for the mall. I have my Valco, which I used tons when my older son would still sit in a stroller, now I use it mostly for walks outdoors, it has great wheels perfect for all terrain. I also have a Phil and Ted's single stroller with a doubles kit, it's great if I need to go somewhere that a side by side won't fit easily, or sometimes I go to Baby Bootcamp mom and baby exercise class and just bring 1 baby with me while my MIL watches the other kids.
If I didn't have a toddler I would have probably gone with the double BOB mostly because of it's awesome sun shades but the Baby joggers also have a great sunshade too.
I think it will depend a bit on what kinds of activities you plan on doing with your stroller, I knew that I needed something sturdy since I go to baby bootcamp and it involves a lot of trail running and outdoor activities with the stroller. I also wanted something to hold all 3 kids at once. I wanted side by side instead of front-back although some days I wish I could separate them more, mostly when they are driving each other crazy (she tries to steal his soother even though she doesn't like to suck on them, he pulls her hair in retaliation, he steals her snack because he eats faster than her, etc...)
Good luck finding the stroller that works best for you.
#8 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Is the Valco really lightweight? I like that you can attach a todller seat to it, but my toddler will prob. be about 35 lbs. & at least 3 ft. by the time the twins are here; add in the two car seat carriers and the 2 babies, and I am wondering if it would just be too much weight.

Also, I would like a fairly large storage bag underneath for groceries - I can't imagine putting two infants in car seats in a grocery cart. There is the option of putting one in a carrier, I guess, but I never used the carriers much in stores for my other two kids. There is a 3-year difference between my two older kids, whereas there will be a 2-year difference between my youngest and the twins. Makes it a little trickier!
#9 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Is the Valco really lightweight? I like that you can attach a todller seat to it, but my toddler will prob. be about 35 lbs. & at least 3 ft. by the time the twins are here; add in the two car seat carriers and the 2 babies, and I am wondering if it would just be too much weight.

Also, I would like a fairly large storage bag underneath for groceries - I can't imagine putting two infants in car seats in a grocery cart. There is the option of putting one in a carrier, I guess, but I never used the carriers much in stores for my other two kids. There is a 3-year difference between my two older kids, whereas there will be a 2-year difference between my youngest and the twins. Makes it a little trickier!
the valco isnt light, but i can push and turn it with one finger with 2 babies and my 30lb 2 year old in the toddler seat. it gets a little trickier to turn when i have my 35lb 4 year old on the back hitch hiker board also, but is still super easy to push with 1 hand. its still easy to push when he sits in the toddler seat too.

you wont be able to use the car seat adapter with the tollder seat (i believe) because both connect in the same place on the stroller-- someone correct me if im wrong. I dont use our infant seats in the stroller, i take the babies out of their seats and put them in the stroller with the seats fully reclined and this works very well for us.

for grocery shopping (small trips) I put one baby in the sling and the other in the stroller and then use the empty seat (fully reclined) to hold my groceries. I dont plan on doing big weekly shopping trips alone until they are older and one can sit in the top part of the cart. when i do big trips now, like costco, i take someone with me to push the cart while i push the stroller.
#10 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 PM

i have 3 strollers - the snap+go (not for much longer, though!) which IMO is essential for in the beginning. it's very nice to be able to keep sleeping babies sleeping in their car seats for errands and such. it's light and has a big basket for shopping - but it steers horribly.

#2 - valco trimode. love it. it weighs a ton, but pushes like nothing. great big fat tires, and it fits through handicap-accessible doorways. i use this one for walks, to take the boys disc golfing, hikes on uneven terrain, anywhere i don't have to worry about fitting through tiny doors. the seats are nice and smushy. it's kinda heavy, but that's what it is with a nice double stroller, eh?

#3 - esprit sunsport double (or duo or something), which is exactly like the maclaren. easier to unfold than the valco, and lighter, with a smaller footprint. nice for traveling, or when i don't feel like hauling the valco.

my twins are my only 2. if i had a toddler, i would definitely get the valco w/the seat add-on. but an umbrella-type stroller is really nice to have also... and i think the snap-n-go is essential for the early days.
#11 of 21 Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 PM

I believe the Valco is similar enough to the MBUD that this would work but with the MBUD, it was so maneuverable that I could easily push the buggy and pull a grocery cart behind me. I got really *really* good at "driving" that way and it allowed me to get a full load of groceries with my children in their buggy.

#12 of 21 Old 09-17-2009, 12:03 AM

I love my MBUD, as well. I had a Graco DuoGlider before that, and I felt like I was pushing a semi. By the time I found out about the Double Snap N Go, I figured they were old enough for the MBUD.

Drawbacks to the MBUD ... heavy lifting it out of the van (but now that I'm going to the gym, it's not as bad!), and the price, but that's getting better, too. I bought mine on returnsforsale.com

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#13 of 21 Old 09-17-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the info. Where did you purchase your Valcos and Mountain Buggy Urban Doubles? I would definitely like to try them out before purchasing, but they don't seem to be carried at the typical stores such as Babies-R-Us? I've seen them online, but I hate to drop all that cash for something I haven't tried myself. Most of the models I see in person are the Graco, Kolcraft, and Snap-n-Go. DiannaK, thanks for that link to returnsforsale.com - I'll check that out.
#14 of 21 Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 PM

Hiya. I have a Bumbleride, which I love, but is too big for shopping and crowded urban strolling. So I use a Phil and Teds with the attachment. The P and T is also good for travel. BUT, it is not a great stroller. It is very basic, and is really only good for quick trips. The Bumbleride is my go-to stroller for any substantial walk.

I did use the Bumbleride for the first 7 months without much hassle, but I decided I wanted to be able to shop in my favourite grocer which is about the size of a postage stamp. So the P and T has been handy for that.
#15 of 21 Old 09-17-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Thanks to all for the info. Where did you purchase your Valcos and Mountain Buggy Urban Doubles?
I drove a fair distance to The Right Start, though I didn't buy it there. Who knows where I ordered it from but if you're anywhere near Chicago, I have an MBUD for sale... I know that Merry-Go-Round in Bellevue, WA has a great stroller selection, if that helps.

Good luck! We started using our MBUD at four months with no inserts or baby buckets or anything and it was fine.

#16 of 21 Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 PM

I started with the double snap & go. I wish I could have done something else, but I really think it was worth the 6 months I used it and I was able to resell it for more than half of what I made for it.

I just go a bumbleride indie twin and I love it. It's in the jogging stroller category, although it's a light jogger. I live in LA and so far I've had no problems fitting it through anything and the twins are so much happier in it now that they can see what is going on.

I drive a prius and it folds up compactly to fit the stroller and with all the compartments in the car, groceries too.

Babywearing, breastfeeding, Mother of MoMo twins and their older brother.
#17 of 21 Old 09-19-2009, 08:04 PM

We love our MBUD too. Yesterday I pushed 3 kids in it (4-year-old twins ~ 35 pounds, and a nearly 3-year-old (also ~ 35 pounds)), while wearing my 3-month-old for a mile without any trouble. It is heavy when fully loaded, but unless you're pushing it up a steep hill, you really don't feel the weight.

We used to have a Graco Duo Glider, and I would not recommend it. Lots of plastic, difficult to push once the babies were heavier, and impossible on anything but smooth, paved terrain.

I really think a double jogging stroller with swivel wheel(s) in the front is the way to go.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#18 of 21 Old 09-19-2009, 10:25 PM

The MBUD for sure. You can stick the toddler on the footrest too for free - worked great for quite awhile ('til the twins got long enough and big enough to literally try to kick the older sibling off).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#19 of 21 Old 11-03-2009, 01:02 PM

Valco twin here too. We got ours at a specialty store in Edmonton.

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#20 of 21 Old 11-03-2009, 06:12 PM

Sheesh. I'm like the only vote for the Duoglider! We didn't have the money for a more expensive stroller and in fact, this one was bought by a bunch of friends for my shower gift. I've had no complaints in the past 17 months except I'd wished I'd gotten a seat for my VERY busy (petulant) older toddler. If you're looking at a different price point than the Valco or Mountain then it's a good choice.
#21 of 21 Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
Sheesh. I'm like the only vote for the Duoglider! We didn't have the money for a more expensive stroller and in fact, this one was bought by a bunch of friends for my shower gift. I've had no complaints in the past 17 months except I'd wished I'd gotten a seat for my VERY busy (petulant) older toddler. If you're looking at a different price point than the Valco or Mountain then it's a good choice.
I see a lot of moms with DuoGliders out and about. Most on here seem to recommend the Valco, but it is soooo expensive! I was thinking that a tandem like the DuoGlider may be easier to maneuver than a side-by-side, but I haven't tested them out yet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page