how many conceived twins while breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious to know how many women conceived twins while nursing? I just had a baby on mothers day 4 months ago, exclusively breastfeeding( it seems like EVERY 5 minutes LOL)and my husband had an "accident" and didn't withdraw fast enough even though 2 days before I told him I was ovulating, we use the withdrawal method which worked for a 1.5 yr while breastfeeding my daughter, I am not one of the lucky ones whose period does not return while nursing mine come at 8 weeks pp. Anyways I'm a person who knows I'm pregnant right away just a gut feeling I guess you can say, well I had a dream that I was pregnant that same week well about a week and a half later I spotted and thought whew I'm safe cuz I have never had implantation and I've been pregnant 7 times 2 live births and 5 miscarriages. Well needless to say I barely spotted brown for a day and a half and then I knew I was pregnant. Well ever since I've been pregnant with my first I've always had this fear in the back of my head that someday I'm going to have twins and it's not that I have a desire or want to have twins, it's a fear of mine. Please write your experiences with conceiving twins I'm curious to know
#2 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 01:21 PM

I conceived twins while nursing my DD. I actually was starting to wean her two days before I found out I was pregnant. I had two PP cycles, the first of which I did not ovulate, and during and the second, I obviously did

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#3 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Did you have any preminition it was going to be Twins?
#4 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 02:53 PM

I got PG with the boys while nursing .... Rachel was about 16 months old. My periods returned at about 9 months post partum.

Hmm .... I'm nursing now, and the boys are 16 months. No periods yet for me.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#5 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Anything different from your other pregnancy?
#6 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 03:41 PM

I got pregnant with my twins while nursing as well.
#7 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 03:54 PM

I got pregnant with twins while I was nursing, too. But it is pretty common for MDCers to be nursing while they get pregnant.

Blessed mama of four
::
#8 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 04:19 PM

I am pregnant with twins and they were conceived while nursing. My period always comes back within 4 weeks post partum. Yeah, fun times. I kind of had an inkling they might be twins due to being terribly sick and having a few twin dreams. And, twins run in my family big time.

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#9 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Hmm ... I was ravenously hungry, really before I even found out I was pregnant! Very very tired, which I attributed to chasing my toddler around while pregnant. My uterus grew like nuts, and I felt 'baby bubbles' at around 12 weeks or so. I found out I was having twins at 14 weeks.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#10 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 05:34 PM

Spontaneous first pregnancy for me.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#11 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry not up to date with abbreviation what is mdcers?
#12 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolie View Post
Sorry not up to date with abbreviation what is mdcers?
mothering dot com users.

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#13 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

nevermind I think I figured it out
#14 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Molliejo :-)
#15 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
Spontaneous first pregnancy for me.
Me too.

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#16 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 08:53 PM

I think we'd better be careful! These guys are our first, so I wasn't breastfeeding. But I can't possibly imagine having twin babies at the boob and getting pregnant with twins again! ...Maybe that's why my husband asked me if I was willing to go back on the IUD.
#17 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my I couldn't imagine my baby boy and twins sharing my boob let alone 2 sets of twins on the boob. I commend all you mothers of twins I can't imagine I don't how I will feel if my preminition is right, I'll leave in god's hands and whatever the outcome, I will look at it as a blessing.
#18 of 38 Old 09-23-2009, 11:54 PM

I got pregnant with my twins when DD was 14 months and nursing all the time. First PP period when she was 4 months old. However my twins are 18 months now and I have had no PP period yet.

Good luck to you that you get the outcome you want.
#19 of 38 Old 09-24-2009, 09:41 AM

we conceived twins while nursing our 19 month old. She had nightweaned the month before which brought back my cycle (well, just ovulation - I ovulate before I menstruate). No premonitions on my part, but we had lots of people dream that we were preg with twins. Our twins are now 21 mo and still no cycles (they still nurse at night - sometimes quite a bit!).

And fyi (if it is helpful at all) - we use natural family planning (the billings method, which is over 99% effective when avoiding pregnancy) to know when our cycles return. I can tell a day ahead of when I will start to become fertile, which rocks. And it is not difficult to use.

Hope that helps... Are you for sure pregnant? Sorry if I missed that in your post - I'll blame in on interrupted sleep! Keep us posted!

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
#20 of 38 Old 09-24-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

yes I took a test a couple days ago with a faint positive. I think I'm getting my tubes tied after I deliver but if we change our mind I'll definitely look into that. Did you all get implantation spotting? I thought it was weird that i got it since i haven't the other 7 times I've been pregnant
#21 of 38 Old 09-24-2009, 01:10 PM

I didn't have any implantation spotting, but I knew I was pregnant five days before my cycle was due because I had what I call jello boobs. We waited to test until my cycle was a day late and I had an immediate, strong positive on the HPT. I guess that was probably the first sign it was twins. That, and me saying to my husband, "What if it's twins?" We didn't start to seriously consider it might be twins until my fundal height measured 24cm at my 16-week visit with the midwife. And it wasn't confirmed until an ultrasound at 19 weeks.

I guess the one really strange thing I had early in my pregnancy was that I woke up with sharp pains low on my left side at 5 weeks. I nearly passed out trying to get back to bed from the bathroom. We still don't know what that was, and there was no bleeding. I have no clue if it was related to there being two babies or not.
#22 of 38 Old 09-24-2009, 06:01 PM

I got pregnant with my twins while still nursing DS. He was around 8 months old.
Funny thing though, my Mother got pregnant with my twin brothers while she was still nursing me, I was around 8 months old as well.
Quite an amazing coincidence!
#23 of 38 Old 09-24-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolie View Post
Did you have any preminition it was going to be Twins?
I ovulated the day after we had DTD. We actually were not wanting to have any more children at the moment. My two cycles I had were 5 wks apart so I ovulated late, couldn't time anything because I didn't have anything to go by the month previous, etc...

I tested before the next 5wks was up just because I was prescribed a medication that I couldn't take if for some reason I was preggo. Well, it was positive, barely. A few days later I started to feel really sick already, which is very unusual. I don't usually have MS and if I do get a bit nauseas, it doesn't start until around 7 to 8 wks.

I have pain during ovulation and this particular time is was extremely bad...to the point I was in tears and couldn't even move without screaming out in pain and I couldn't walk without holding my side. I wondered if I could have ovulated more than one egg, especially since I didn't ovulate the month before and my cycle was so weird. I suspected twins from the start, once I found out I was in fact pregnant.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#24 of 38 Old 09-24-2009, 08:55 PM

i conceived twins while breastfeeding an almost 3 year old and a 21 month old.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#25 of 38 Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 PM

I also ovulated (for the first time-my daughter was 8mo) the day after we DTD. I then distinctly felt ovulation 4 days later. Benjer measured 4 days behind his sister until they got to around 30 weeks and he just outgrew her.

I knew I was pregnant with twins. I had twin dreams. I kept telling people to stop asking me if it was twins. I was INSISTENT there was NO WAY that we were having twins. Course, I distinctly remember pushing out a second baby 16 months ago.
#26 of 38 Old 09-24-2009, 11:07 PM

Was breastfeeding DD when I got pregnant with the twins. She was 9 mo old and the first sign that I was pregnant was soreness when nursing her.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#27 of 38 Old 09-25-2009, 10:31 AM

I got pregnant with my twins while still nursing dd1 (she was 28 months then). But, I also conceived dd1 while still nursing ds1 so it wasn't a "twin" thing. When I first tested positive I never once thought it would be twins. It was only after a few weeks when I had to start wearing maternity pants at 9 weeks and seemed even more nauseous than usual that the little voice started talking. I usually dismissed it but once we did the ultrasound at 14 weeks there was no denying anymore.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#28 of 38 Old 09-26-2009, 11:02 PM

I was nursing my 14 mo daughter when I conceived my twins. I had gotten my period back at 8 months with her. I did have several twin dreams and even mentioned twins at my first midwife appt. She blew me off.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#29 of 38 Old 10-01-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

I started spotting yesterday and now passing Tissue matter, and sinse having 5 miscarriages prior I'm no stranger to these symptons. I look at this as a blessing in disguise because honestly it was too soon for me for I have a 4.5 month old. So I just want to thank everyone for sharing your experiences!
#30 of 38 Old 10-01-2009, 11:35 PM

So sorry to hear that. I'll be praying for you tonight.

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page