hey multiple mamas...what was the first sign that made you think...hmmmm, I am having multiples!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious.

I am newly pregnant (6 weeks). My Dr recommended waiting a couple months after having my Mirena removed, as it suppressed ovulation and when it comes out can cause hyperovulation (and higher chance of multiples).

So now, OF COURSE, it is playing in my head, lol. My first Dr appt isnt for a couple weeks.

My cousin was 17 weeks along, had not had a sono, etc (pretty crunchy, non-testing kind of person) and she agreed to a sono since she was bigbigbig and found out then it was twins...she said she had NO idea. Another friend said she knew immediately.

Just curious, as I am entertaining my pregnant brain....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 04:18 PM

My HCG levels were double what they were with my son.

That was my first clue. But if I had never gotten the levels tested, I wouldn't have known until I started measuring big.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
Old 09-28-2009, 04:44 PM

About 18 mo after the birth of my first child, my sister told me that I was going to have twins. She said she knew because of a dream she had. I got pg the first time and said she was nuts, I lost that baby at 12 weeks. I got pg the second time and lost that baby around 7 weeks. When I got pg the third time, I kind of just knew that it was twins, it was like my babies wanted to be together. Sure enough, found out at six weeks in that it was twins. My husband wanted to think I was crazy, but they are now 2 and it's all very real!!

Tiffany wife of 11 yrs to Karl:, DSD Ariel (16) DSS Kaleb (13) DD Jessika (5) twins Drake and Olivia (2) :and our sweet suprise, Lola (11mo):: two angels Sammy(03/06) and Alex (07/06)
Old 09-28-2009, 04:53 PM

I had multiple losses, so I had an early ultrasound to see if it was a viable pregnancy. 5 week ultrasound had one baby and no heartbeat visable yet, and 8 week had two healthy babies!

I was huge at 12 weeks, so I probably would have suspected at that point.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
Old 09-28-2009, 04:54 PM

My first clue was when the ultrasound technician (at 12wks) placed the wand on my abdomen and said "oh, there's two" So, I had no clue at all, but looking back I was way more tired and sick than I had been with previous pregnancies.

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
Old 09-28-2009, 05:38 PM

Terrible nausea. TERRIBLE. It is just now beginning to get better at 16+ weeks.

Also, I had braxton hicks really early. Like in the first week I knew I was pregnant. Not sure if that is a multiples thing or not.

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:54 PM

really high fundus by 7 weeks and then ultrasound. had awful sickness but only slightly worse than with my girls.

then by 12 or so weeks my body was pretty much falling apart so even if we hadn't seen i would have guessed something was up

aww, it's nice to remember finding out.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

Old 09-28-2009, 07:34 PM

an ultrasound

In retrospect, I also had EXTREME nausea and was a little bigger than I expected, but didn't really POP out all huge until around 18 weeks-- after the ultrasound.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyc View Post
an ultrasound

In retrospect, I also had EXTREME nausea and was a little bigger than I expected, but didn't really POP out all huge until around 18 weeks-- after the ultrasound.

Me too although I didn't really pop out until about 20 weeks, and my fateful u/s was at 19.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
Old 09-28-2009, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
When I thought I was going to die from exhaustion.

I *knew* something was wrong from the very beginning of my pregnancy. I also had done ivf and transfered two embryos which should have been my first clue. but I requested an ultrasound (6 weeks? 12 weeks??) because I was sure the embryo had died and I was also going to die because I just felt so sick and tired. My twins are 2+ years old and I'm not so tired now.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 PM

I had no feelings. Actually I had a miscarriage in which I swore there must have been twins. It was pg symptons to the EXTREME and so early. With my boys I didn't know until the 14 week u/s. My pregnancy symptons were non existant until the 2nd trimester and then they kicked in with a venegeance. Extreme hunger, tired and nausea.

Babywearing, breastfeeding, Mother of MoMo twins and their older brother.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 PM

My first sign was hearing "Oh, and there's a second sac...let's see..."

I hope you find what you want to find!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:27 PM

"Ah, there is one very nice heartbeat...uh...uh...and there is another..."

I also got big quicker, but was off on my dates since I didn't have a real cycle after the birth of DD so I didn't realize.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
Old 09-28-2009, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, these are great stories (minus the sickness that seems to be a theme). It's just so funny, because this is pregnancy 3 for me and my mom has had a twin dream, I have had several, and 3-4 close friends have said "I think it is twins" when I tell them.

Now all of that really means ABSOLUTELY nothing, lol. My chances of twins is probably pretty small.

But I love your stories, none the less.

I had 2 cycles between Mirena removal and conception. Each of those were accompanied by insane hyperovulation (diagnosed when I crawled into the ER with so much abdominal pain that I was thinking my guts were going to spill out, lol).
Old 09-29-2009, 01:24 AM

I had no clue. My nausea really wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was worse with my daughter. The only "sign" was the u/s at 7 weeks :
Old 09-29-2009, 01:49 AM

All in hindsight, mind you, since any of it could have been for a normal singleton pregnancy but with me, added all together, something was "off":

I was REALLY sick, REALLY early. Like, I started puking at 5 weeks post ovulation. It was incredibly more intense but completely gone by 12 weeks which is not my norm.

I was unbelieveably tired. I would be sitting up on the couch around 2pm and just doze off. One minute I was there, the next minute some kid was shaking me awake to get something for them.

I had a weird "pointy" boy belly but my gut was telling me girl. Turns out they were both right.

Kept having dreams about twins

Felt beginning movement at 12 weeks

Ironically, I started showing LATER than normal, heehee

The big one was that I put on so much weight. At my 16 week check I'd already put on 6 pounds (and I'm SURE I lost some from all the sickness so I'd gained quite a lot) and then at my 20 week appt the day of the Big Sono I had gained ANOTHER 6 for a total of 12 up from prepreg weight. I only gained 12 pounds TOTAL with my previous three babies!

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 AM

I was so sick just 2 days after I POS, and I hadn't even missed my cycle yet. And...I don't usually get very sick at all. Slight nausea starting around 8 wks or so.

I also started to wonder, after I knew I was pregnant, if I could have ovulated more than one egg after I started thinking about due dates, my cycles (which weren't normal).

U/S confirmed at 9 wks. I had requested the U/S because of my suspicions.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeChRi View Post
I had 2 cycles between Mirena removal and conception. Each of those were accompanied by insane hyperovulation (diagnosed when I crawled into the ER with so much abdominal pain that I was thinking my guts were going to spill out, lol).
That is what my ovulation was like the month I conceived the twins. I was in such horrible amount of pain that I couldn't walk without holding on to my side. I always have pain during ovulation but nothing like this particular month. And in actuality, they began as trips....not to scare you even more!

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
Old 09-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My uterus was measuring way bigger than normal for 12 weeks, extra fatigue and nausea. U/S at 12 weeks showed two. Didn't help that my husband had prayed for twins with a room as witness about 1 year before that

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel65655 View Post
That is what my ovulation was like the month I conceived the twins. I was in such horrible amount of pain that I couldn't walk without holding on to my side. I always have pain during ovulation but nothing like this particular month. And in actuality, they began as trips....not to scare you even more!
Oh wow! I'm now REALLY grateful that I ovulated at two different times! I have pain with ovulation (which is how I know it was twice, four days apart) and it never occurred to me how much worse it would hurt to do it twice at the same time! EEK!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:23 PM

My husband tells me that I said, "What if it's twins?" at some point early on. But I think that's a normal thought and probably not at all related to actually being pregnant with twins. I didn't have any extreme sickness, just mild nausea that I kept in check by eating often. I gained weight quickly, but so does every woman in my family. My first clue that it might be twins was when my fundal height went from right on at 12 weeks to 9cm ahead at 16 weeks.

I spent three weeks fretting about all of the things that could cause me to be big for my dates (I was temping, so I knew my dates were right). I definitely thought it might be twins, but I didn't have any of the "risk factors" for multiples (first pregnancy, mid-20s, no hormonal BC, no recent twins on my side of the family). Of all the things that might have caused me to measure so large, twins were a blessing. We found out at 19 weeks with an u/s. Now I suspect that our twins are identical, since I didn't have any factors that might cause hyperovulation.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Twins run in both sides of the family, both his parents and mine, so we knew the chances were high. I also suspect that I miscarried at about three weeks one cycle before I conceived the boys. The docs also thought that I might have even conceived about a week apart, because from the beginning one was measuring a week ahead.

I knew almost right away, in fact I am convinced that I felt conception. My DH thought I was nuts when I woke him up at 3 am to tell him I was pregnant. Twins was confirmed at an 8 week ultrasound. The technician looked, looked at me, and looked back at the monitor. I got a little scared and asked her what was wrong and she said I can see two. And that was that. I was so very, very, very sick. But it was my first pregnancy and my mother was also sick with all of us right into the delivery room (which is not something you want to hear while you have your head in the toilet ) I stopped throwing up around 18 weeks.

Good luck. I hope you get the answer that you want.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

Old 09-29-2009, 07:15 PM

The day I found out I was pregnant I said to my husband... wouldn't it be crazy if this was twins... I seriously had this strange feeling. I only have 1/2 of one ovary left due to many surgeries so the chances of having one baby was slim, nevermind 2, thus everyone laughed off my thoughts, as did I. I started showing at 9 weeks which made my doctor think that my dates were off... then my one and a half year old proclaimed that mommy had a baby boy and girl in her tummy... then at 13 weeks, I went in for my "dating" ultrasound and voila... 2 babes Wow, that seems so long ago, yet that day is forever printed in my memory. No matter your situation, twins are always a possibility for anyone out there
Old 09-29-2009, 07:57 PM

I had a feeling it was more than one, but the actual confirmation in my mind was how huge I was. I was already looking quite pregnant by 8/10 weeks. Then we medically confirmed the triplets on ultrasound.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Honestly? none. I started getting nauseous around week 2 of pregnancy (which is normal for me, I've had previous pregnancies that never made it to term though), I never threw up one time during my pg. it was mostly mild nausea, I started showing at 4 weeks but I was super skinny to begin with. I don't like vaginal u/s so I passed on one but I knew my conception date (they were planned and I charted my ovulation) so we waited until I was 12 weeks and did a belly u/s and found 2 little babies! We were completely stunned!! We always kinda knew that twins was a possiblity as I have twins on my side and my dh has 4 (or 5) sets of ID twins on his side but we never dreamed it would really happen!

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:52 AM

There are a few sets of twins in both my family and my dh's but none of our siblings, cousin, aunts or uncle are or have had twins so we knew it may be possible but didn't think it was a big chance. Everyone thought I was crazy but starting at about 10 weeks I kept telling everyone that I felt too "heavy" it was weird but it just felt like my abdomen was heavy than I remembered with dd1, I was also feeling mov't around 12-14 weeks which everyone said was probably just gas...and maybe it was but I was pretty sure it was baby mov't. Around 15 weeks I started feeling mov't in two places at once and that was when I was really convinced. Still everyone thought I was nuts to think we were having twins. At my 16 week check I measured a bit big and told my midwife I thought I was having twins and she still said "I'm sure there's jsut one" sure enough I had an ultrasound at 18 weeks and within 2 seconds there were two heads on the screen. The funny thing is I asked my midwife to order the ultrasound when I was 6 weeks because I wanted to find out if we were having twins ASAP, she said 18 weeks would be the best time to determine it. When we walked in the tech asked if we wanted to find out the gender and we said "yes, but first we want to know if there is one or two babies in there".
Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 AM

I'm not sure I ever really thought it was twins beyond the joking "imagine if it were twins" conversations with dh. I think everyone might think that when they're newly pregnant. Looking back I like to think my inner voice was telling me something.

At 9 weeks I needed to pull out my maternity pants and at my 14 week appointment I was measuring 18 weeks. Not such a big deal as everyone talks about getting bigger faster with each pregnancy but with my two previous pregnancies I always measured a couple of weeks behind and it just seemed kind of "off". I was also very sick but I was during previous pregnancies as well. The ultrasound at 14 weeks confirmed twins although during the actual procedure I had completely talked myself out of the possibility so I was still blown away by the techs announcement.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 10-06-2009, 02:04 PM

I felt a LOT of movement all over and on both sides at the same time.......so I started to wonder. My 2nd appointment, Dr said he heard a heartbeat in 2 different places, but was the same rate.....he wanted an ultrasound and I didn't......then at 22 weeks, I switched to a midwife, she felt a lot of movement and heard 2 heartbeats about 10 bpm difference between the two. She recommended an u/s so that way I could adjust my diet properly if it was twins. I had my first u/s at 23 weeks and no doubt about it there was 2! So to say, I was 'two' surprised when I found out:-)
Old 10-06-2009, 02:52 PM

We'd joked about twins from pretty early on, because I already had a visible belly at like eight weeks, where I hadn't "shown" at all until 18 weeks with DD1. But I never really actually believed the jokes. I was honestly stunned when my midwife mentioned the possibility to me. She was clued in by my fundal height and by the difficulties we had in trying to hear a heartbeat with a doppler-- she kept swearing it was over THERE and suddenly here it was over HERE and a different rate, to boot. Even then it was just speculation. She suggested we consider ultrasound. We had it that same afternoon, and sure enough. But up until the ultrasound tech showed me two babies on the screen, I really honestly didn't think it was twins.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 10-06-2009, 03:07 PM

I just KNEW. I just felt like I needed to research twin pregnancy and tried to push the thought back. Sure enough at 7w ultrasound confirmed it. The tech said "there's the baby and the HB, you can't get any better then that" I told her how relieved I was because I had just had a M/C and wanted to make sure baby was ok and that there was only one. She was shocked, asked WHY I thought it was twins and I said I just couldn't shake the feeling. Then she showed me the second baby. It was a shock to say the least, but I was right.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif

User Tag List