Nausea 5 months postpartum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

Wondering if any of you experienced nausea postpartum? Am wondering if I'm missing a vital nutrient because the twinks are EBF or if it's linked to the mini-pill or my very slight prolapse (just anterior wall)...I haven't lost any weight since I delivered so I feel like that means I'm eating enough....

Your insight is always appreciated!!
#2 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Let's just get this out of the way:

Are you sure you aren't actually 8 months PRE-partum?

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#3 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

oh geez, that would be an unpleasant surprise...actually i took 2 pregnancy tests a few weeks (4 days apart) ago and they were negative (thank god). i've had the nausea for about 4 -6 weeks.
#4 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 06:49 PM

i'd check on the preg thing again, (wow. that would be exciting ) and stop the mini pill for a bit to see if that helps (i took after my second was born and it just made me feel really depressed! but i'm sure nausea could be a side effect)

i get nauseous even now, one year on, when i've not drunk enough or am particularly sleep starved. are you taking a multi vit? extra B6 springs to mind wrt nausea??

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#5 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Not drinking enough comes to mind. I get really sick feeling when I'm low on water. It's my first sign actually, of impending dehydration.
#6 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

mmm. will definitely drink more water - it's hard for me to crave water when it's cold outside, but hopefully it'll help with the nausea! thanks.
#7 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 PM

Sight nausea signals to me that I'm getting dehydrated too. Maybe try some warm water with a little lemon?

Also, what kind of mini-pill are you on, is it a progesterone one? Progesterone can cause nausea, although I'm not sure if your specific pill is enough to do that.
#8 of 10 Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
it might be nothing, but please go to your regular doctor and ask to have your thyroid checked. Ask for a TSH, T4 and T3 levels.

Nausea was my main symptom of Grave's Disease, which can be fatal and often shows up several months postpartum.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#9 of 10 Old 10-09-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
it might be nothing, but please go to your regular doctor and ask to have your thyroid checked. Ask for a TSH, T4 and T3 levels.

Nausea was my main symptom of Grave's Disease, which can be fatal and often shows up several months postpartum.
I can't speak to the frequency of Grave's Disease postpartum, but I can't let the "can be fatal" part go unchecked. Very severe, undiagnosed Grave's Disease can be fatal, but this is rare. Most cases of Grave's can be managed once the right medication(s) and dosage are determined. Grave's is fairly common in my family, and everyone who has it has struggled to get the symptoms controlled at first, but has managed just fine without it.

Let's try not to freak the new mama out too much, OK? Yes, if the nausea is caused by Grave's, that's something she needs to know so she can manage it. But to just say it can be fatal without properly mitigating that statement is could cause unnecessary anxiety.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#10 of 10 Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 AM

Glad to know I wasn't the only one thinking, "Get thee to an EPT, STAT!!"

Is this all the time? Could it be reflux, or gall bladder issues??

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page