Do I need a triple stroller? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 11-01-2009, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I still haven't decided what stroller I will need when the twins arrive in a couple months. I have a son who just turned 2 and a 5 year-old. I am thinking that I might need a triple stroller in order to be able to go out and do things that I would like to do (and feel I will need to do, in an effort to preserve my sanity... ) I think that being able to be out and about will be key for me. Anyway, for those of you with just-turned-two year-olds, do you find that you need a triple stroller, or is it easy for your two-year-old to walk alongside you with the stroller? My fear is that my ds would dash out in traffic while I would be struggling with the stroller, etc. Also, I don't see how I could really hold his hand and push the twin stroller straight at the same time. That said, I can't imagine that a triple stroller would be easy to maneuver, either. Of course, I realize that all 2 year-olds are different, but what has your experience been?
#2 of 32 Old 11-01-2009, 04:17 PM

I'm in the opposite boat as you but still wondering if I need a triple stroller? My twins are almost 3 1/2 and do much better in a stroller than walking. And we are expecting our son in a few weeks. I'm thinking of wearing our son most of the time and just get a lightweight double stroller for now. I use the big jogging stroller most of the time. Then once he gets bigger and more active see if I need the triple. But by that time the girls will probably be okay with walking.

Mamma to identical twin girls (June, 2006 born at 30 weeks), new bundle of joy due August, 2011
#3 of 32 Old 11-01-2009, 04:22 PM

I've not been there with twins but I know when my DD was 20mths my son was born and she walked awesome beside the stroller from about 23mths onward. I taught her to hang on to one part of the stroller, and she learned just to walk nicely beside me otherwise.

As an aside, I have a Valco Twin and it steers one handed even tho its a side by side.

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#4 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticMum View Post
I've not been there with twins but I know when my DD was 20mths my son was born and she walked awesome beside the stroller from about 23mths onward. I taught her to hang on to one part of the stroller, and she learned just to walk nicely beside me otherwise.

As an aside, I have a Valco Twin and it steers one handed even tho its a side by side.
I think the Valco Twin has the option of a toddler seat attachment, doesn't it?
#5 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 01:22 AM

It's not the easiest steering stroller, but not bad. the "sit and stand" stroller is *technically* a double stroller, but I find you can use it as a triple if your kids are spaced right, which yours totally are.
You put the baby in the front seat, which is a regular stroller seat. then, there is a platform on the back, and a little bench seat. Supposedly, the bigger child can choose to sit on the little bench, or stand on the little platform. BUT, you can chat and do BOTH...you can have the 2 year old sit on the bench AND the 5 year old can jump on the platform, and VOILA, instant triple stroller.
I think a lot of it depends on how and where you will be using it.
I would also consider some kind of restraint of you truly believe the 5 year old will be a SAFETY danger to himself..a backpack or wrist style harness system may be in order.

Another option to consider, if your 5 yr old is like mine, is that he can push a stroller and will be thrilled and beg to do so. So, you bring along a single fo rthe babe, and a simple umbrella or something for the 2 year old, and let the 5 yr old push one and you push one. Keeps him occupied and out of trouble, and the littles get pushed.
In some situations, once the baby is old enought to sit upright (say, 6 months+) a wagon might be a better choice than a stroller.

also..a GOOD twin stroller will push very easily, not much different than a single..so you wonj't be "struggling" with it at all.

CPST
#6 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 07:26 AM
ljc

My son was 19 months when my twins were born. I did have a triple stroller - and it was a life saver as far as my sanity. It was not something that was easy to travel with in the car or maneuver in stores. But I used it all the time to walk from the house to town to the beach and around the neighborhood for fresh air and exercise. I also had a double stroller and would wear the smallest of my children if I was going somewhere where I needed the maneuverability.
#7 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I think the Valco Twin has the option of a toddler seat attachment, doesn't it?
Yes! This is what I'd do if I were having twins with a two year old in the house. My twins are five and rode in their Mountain Buggy on a daily basis until they were about three. I tried the sling one, stroller one scenario but it just didn't work for us. I'd get them settled and whoever was in the stroller would want to nurse and then when I'd need to swap places, there was no easy place to put the second baby when the first was in the stroller. I cannot imagine that the OP will not run into times when she needs both babies in the stroller so she can carry/sling the two year old. The Valco should also accept a buddy board (or whatever you call them) so the five year old can hop a ride periodically, too. Or soon the two year old may be fine with riding on a board but for now? I'd get the Valco with the toddler seat. Your two year old's world may be rocked with the addition of two babes and having a cool seat to ride in may help with periodic containment needs. Can he pick the color of the buggy? Good luck!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#8 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 12:21 PM

yes! the valco does have the adaptor - I thought I mentioned that in my original post but I guess typing one handed while NAK made me forget it! LOL

Tamika
#9 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm not really worried about the 5 year-old, just the 2 year-old. 5 year-old hasn't been in a stroller for quite some time and is pretty self-sufficient (I didn't get a double stroller when the 2 year-old was born, so he stopped riding in the stroller then). Anyway, for those of you with the Valco, did you also get the Double Snap-n-Go or some other double stroller that accommodates baby carrier seats when the babies were in their infant seats, or did you just start out with solely the Valco? If the latter, did you feel inconvenienced, at times, by having to take them out of their infant car seats and put them in the stroller? Thanks again! I'm trying to avoid buying too many strollers to cut down on both cost and clutter (we already have single strollers from the other kids), but I am going to do what I've gotta do to make life easier on myself (theoretically, at least).
#10 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 06:07 PM

FWIW, my DD is 4 and my DS is 2. My twins are due in Feb/Mar. Instead of going the triple stroller route now I'm planning to put one twin in a wrap sling, another in the double stroller I already have, and DS in the stroller too.

If I find it too difficult to get out with the double stroller then I'll go for the triple but I found that when DS was born I bought the double in anticipation of his arrival and DD would have nothing to do with it after a couple months. She started walking with me at 2 1/2-3. It seemed like a wasteful expensive purchase (though now, I'm quite glad I have it!)

My double is heavy enough for me to manage that I can't even imagine a triple! And, if you don't have a double, try craigslist or freecycle. They seem to be everywhere for pretty cheap. Rarely do I find a used triple.

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
#11 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 06:24 PM

I think the only thing I would change if I could go back would be to have gotten a triplet stroller. Isabella was 17 months old when the twins were born and it would have made my life MUCH easier.

Another tip I wished I'd had when they were tiny like that is to hang cloth grocery bags on the handle bars and "shop" in them. Won't work for a huge shop but a decent amount of food. No cart required.
#12 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 PM

After my time trying to sling one, stroller one, I went right to our Mountain Buggy. They were three months old. I did not have a Snap and Go but lots of people love them. The other thing to consider is just getting a Valco with the buddy board and if it's not enough for the two year old, add the toddler seat. If he begins to refuse to ride, you've not spent the money on the toddler seat. If he begins to bolt, you can add the toddler seat. Options!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#13 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 09:38 PM

saw this in new posts, i don't have twins myself but just a thought, you could get a double pram for your 2yo and one of the twins and use a sling/baby carrier for the other twin. a triple would probebly be a waste of money for a 2yo as he probebly won't be in it long enough to make it worthwhille jmo.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#14 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
saw this in new posts, i don't have twins myself but just a thought, you could get a double pram for your 2yo and one of the twins and use a sling/baby carrier for the other twin. a triple would probebly be a waste of money for a 2yo as he probebly won't be in it long enough to make it worthwhille jmo.
This is totally what I thought (and what I did). It's 17 months later and I still wish I had splurged on the triple.
#15 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Anyway, for those of you with the Valco, did you also get the Double Snap-n-Go or some other double stroller that accommodates baby carrier seats when the babies were in their infant seats, or did you just start out with solely the Valco? If the latter, did you feel inconvenienced, at times, by having to take them out of their infant car seats and put them in the stroller?
Nope - I've never felt inconvenienced at all by taking them out. Personally I don't like leaving my babes in the car seats - they are so scrunched up and the straps are not comfy (IMO) so I find they are more settled OUT of them. For the times I'm only going to be a few minutes (ie running into the school) etc I just carry both seats in hand. I've gotten quite talented at holding both in one arm and opening doors!

Tamika
#16 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 11:40 PM

How about a backpack leash for the 2 yo?

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#17 of 32 Old 11-02-2009, 11:48 PM

There's also a bunch of studies showing infants in carseats can have lower oxygen saturations because of the angle they sit at......in Europe many parents are told to minimize time in the car/carseat.

If I were you, I'd get a Valco Twin with toddler seat AND a double Snap n Go. The Snap n Go should be easy to find used for relatively cheap, and the Valco is a life-saver. Your 2 y/o will LOVE being up in that front seat. I had that exact setup for my twins, I bought the toddler seat as a way to keep them from fighting LOL. DS would sit up front and DD wouls sit in the main seat.

Also - for those of you who ahve older twins and are expecting a new baby - the Adventure Buggy Company makes a double stroller similar to the Valco, but with a reclining infant seat you can attach to the handlebar - so you can use it for a little one.

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

#18 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 01:58 AM

I had a 2 year old when my twins were born and initally went on the thought that my older daughter was getting to the stage that she was already walking lots and prior to the twins I was hardly using a stroller with her. Well, when reality hit, I NEEDED her to be in the stroller at times, logistically it made my life way easier and wasn't a choice for her as it was safety related at times. At any rate, when the twins where 8 months old I found the Valco Twin Runabout with the toddler seat on Craigslist for a great deal and it changed my life. After having been through 3 other strollers since the twins were born the Valco is amazing and continues to be so. As for when the babies are in their car seats - this was never a concern for me as all of the strollers I used have fully reclining seats and thus always transferred my babes! Good luck on the stroller front but I would say your search is over at the Valco
#19 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 02:03 AM

I've seen Valco Twin with the option of a toddler seat attachment - it seems perfect for twins and a two year old

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#20 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticMum View Post
Nope - I've never felt inconvenienced at all by taking them out. Personally I don't like leaving my babes in the car seats - they are so scrunched up and the straps are not comfy (IMO) so I find they are more settled OUT of them. For the times I'm only going to be a few minutes (ie running into the school) etc I just carry both seats in hand. I've gotten quite talented at holding both in one arm and opening doors!
Yeah, that. Word for word! People are always amazed that I can hold/ carry 2 infant seats in one arm, lol! They are going to be in the stroller only once they outgrow their infant seats so why not just start from the beginning?

FWIW, I LOVE my valco-- I have the toddler seat for my 2 year old and she really likes sitting in it. She calls it her "princess seat". I also have the hitch hiker attachment for my 4 year old and it is very convenient. I was very hesitant to buy the stroller because of the price but seriously, it was worth every single penny, and then some. The best part about it is that you can push it and turn it with one hand, even fully loaded with 4 kids. Plus there is so much storage! I don't even take a diaper bag when I use it. I just put what I need in the pockets and basket and go. It's nice not to have to worry about lugging a big bag around. Best money I've spent in a long time.
#21 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son, at 2 and 3 yrs old, could only handle walking along on short excursions. If I wanted a 45 min walk or if I was navigating the airport or mall or anything like that, it was much, MUCH better to be able to keep him in a stroller. I think it depends on your child and on what exactly you want to be doing.

I have a friend who has a nice double jogging stroller and often puts 3 kids in it. One doesn't have a harness but she figures it is fine as long as they don't go over the total weight limit--100 lbs.

I would think that you could make do with a double stroller. Sometimes you can wear one baby, sometimes your older child can walk. The triple stroller would really only be useful for a short time, is bulky and expensive.
#22 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 04:40 PM

Ditto to the previous post! I was able to borrow my sister's double when my twins were first born and ODD was only 16 months old. One twin would stay in the car seat and ride in the stroller with ODD and I would wear the other. But then they got to be too big to wear and ODD still was too young to have walk everywhere so I searched and found an online deal where I could choose a "free" attachment with my stroller and got the Valco Twin with the toddler seat and LOVE it! Truly, a sanity saver, as has been stated. You absolutely need to be able to get out and about be yourself. I still use my stroller a year later and my oldest is 3 now, the twins almost 2. Sometimes I can get everyone to hold hands when we're doing something I don't want to have to take the stroller, but it's still great for running errands and going to the zoo.
#23 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

The Valco does sound like a good option, but it is sooo expensive! Of course, I don't think I have ever paid more than $200 for a stroller - I think my entire Graco travel system was like $300. Anyway, is the Valco really the only one in its class, or is there a cheaper one with similar options (toddler seat, or toddler running board, at least)? I wonder if they make the Sit-N-Stand stroller in a double version??? Of course, I guess my sanity is priceless, so I may just break down and get one...
#24 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 PM

Like I said earlier, I got mine second hand and it was in great condition as they are such well made strollers, so I would look into that option. However, if I had to do it over again with the knowledge I have now and couldn't find a second hand one - I would definentely spend the extra money and get the Valco - in my opinion, it was/is sooooooo worth it.
#25 of 32 Old 11-03-2009, 10:45 PM

Not a twin mom, but wanted to reply that they do indeed make a Sit-N-Stand stroller with double infant seats.

http://www.joovy.com/pages/pd_bigcaboose.php

Mama of three.

#26 of 32 Old 11-04-2009, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpamama View Post
Like I said earlier, I got mine second hand and it was in great condition as they are such well made strollers, so I would look into that option.
I've checked on Craigslist but haven't seen any near me. Will keep checking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23
Not a twin mom, but wanted to reply that they do indeed make a Sit-N-Stand stroller with double infant seats.

http://www.joovy.com/pages/pd_bigcaboose.php
That sounds like an intriguing option, too... Anyone have any thoughts on the Joovy "Big Caboose" with the sit/stand toddler seat on back?
#27 of 32 Old 11-04-2009, 01:16 AM
RSG

Hi all-
new to the board, but this is my question too... I see elmh23 just posted a link to the 'big caboose' and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it? I have a 2 year, and twins due in March. I already purchased a used double snap n go; so I have a little time. I really like to go for long walks and use my stroller a lot, so something easy to push but easy to fold would be great. Also, any feedback on SBS vs inline for twins? thanks!
#28 of 32 Old 11-04-2009, 07:37 PM

Before my Valco I did have the Big Caboose and would not recommend it - very hard to manuever and overall just a pain, unless you are using it on completely straight roads or in the mall all the time.... very very frustrating stroller for me.
#29 of 32 Old 11-05-2009, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpamama View Post
Before my Valco I did have the Big Caboose and would not recommend it - very hard to manuever and overall just a pain, unless you are using it on completely straight roads or in the mall all the time.... very very frustrating stroller for me.
Interesting - How does it compare in size to the Valco? I'm thinking of which one would be easier to fit in a van...Which one is lighter and easier to fold, etc? I've seen it listed for less than $300, and it would seem to fit my needs with the toddler sit/stand seat on the back, but if it's a total PITA, that would just be wasted $, I guess.
#30 of 32 Old 11-07-2009, 06:14 PM

i have the graco tour duo quattro (or whatever). at 8 months the twins still fit well in the back seat together. we used to snuggle them side by side but now we put them front and back. we can also put the 3 year old behiond one of them in the back seat (so the baby is like in her lap) pretty well. it has been a really great solution for us.

here are pics of them snuggled together in the back seat with my toddler in the front -
as newborns
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/...8acc58dff4.jpg

and more recently (like 6-7 months)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2647/...6d30312d15.jpg

and here's a pic of them one in front of the other in the back seat -

both sitting up
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2509/...37ba938eba.jpg

one asleep behind the other sitting up
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2625/...f5f7fcc33c.jpg

if this did not work so well for us then i would have to get a triple stroller of some kind. marvel was 2 1/2 when the twins were born and just not ready to walk everywhere always. pushing a double stroller while wearing a baby is ok for awhile, but once they get a bit heavier and for long trips that is a bad combination for your back. not to mention you have to take the baby off anytime anyone wants to nurse (or i did anyways). my twins really like the stroller though. they are happy looking around when we are out and about and as long as i keep moving they can sleep great in it, too. that is how i do my grocery shopping often (with huge ikea shopping bags hanging off the back of the stroller).

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page