Breech extraction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question for you mommies...

Another thread made me think of this...

I'm 28.5 weeks along (with many many complications, but that really isn't necessary for the question). Baby A is vertex, baby B is breech currently. I am under a hospital care due to the complications and have actually already spent a few weeks in the hospital itself. I am home now, and expect to stay home unless more complications arise.

Hospital policy is that a vaginal delivery is fine if baby A is vertex. If Baby B is breech, you are still ok to have a vaginal, just knowing that you may end up with a breech extraction or c-section if things go array.

Granted baby B could flip, but I'm thinking of all contingencies. I had a c-section for my son (he was frank breech and my midwives were not comfortable with me trying a vaginal birth because it was my first pregnancy and we weren't sure how it would go...in retrospect it was the correct choice given how quickly I went into labor and some other details), so this would be a VBAC. Docs are still fine with the situation.

However....the thought of a breech extraction just unnerves me for some reason. I'm a little odd: I'm fine having a c-section (because I've had one before and know what it is like), but I don't like the thought of an epidural during the birthing....I'd prefer either a med-free birth or a c-section. And the thought of a breech extraction without pain meds makes me cringe. I did hypnobirthing with my son (for the short amount of time I WAS in labor) and would do something similar for this.

Has anyone had a non-medicated breech extraction?
#2 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 02:12 PM

I wish I'd been at your hospital for my twins. I think the only reason they gave me a section was because baby B was transverse. And this was with supposedly a super vaginal birth friendly doc.

I was almost fully dilated, and baby A was vertex and +2 station when I was sectioned. I was never even able to get an answer from the doc as to why he thought I needed a section.

I did not at all want a c-section (but it was easy to talk me into it with the pain of a pretty intense labor).

Best of luck on your birth, and I hope you get a vaginal, if that's what you want, and that your twins are healthy.

Single mom to the Crunchy Froglets, Keith and Carlin, twin boys born 1/30/09. Frozen for 10 years, now unleashed on the world.
#3 of 19 Old 11-26-2009, 02:48 PM

To answer your question, yes. I had an unmedicated breech extraction for baby B, and it was fine. It was nothing compared to 25 hours of back labor and way too many hours of pushing. I was also very trusting in my OB (more of a MW in OBs clothing except for his policy of extraction for breech). I remember breathing through it (I did a hypno course to prep for birthing, as well). The only part I recall not feeling pleasant was when a nurse was compressing my abdomen, I'm assuming to push the baby from above while the OB was pulling the baby out. I just feel badly that the baby was born in such a forceful manner, but for me it was really okay!

There are other threads on here that discuss breech extraction; you may want to search for them for more info.

I hope your pregnancy and birthing go well!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#4 of 19 Old 11-27-2009, 11:32 AM

Just big I gave birth vaginally to a breech baby without any need for extraction and it makes me cringe to think of it too. I send wishes for an easy, uncomplicated birth.
#5 of 19 Old 11-27-2009, 05:55 PM

Intertwined, have you posted your birth story somewhere? I'd love to read it.
#6 of 19 Old 11-27-2009, 10:43 PM

#7 of 19 Old 11-28-2009, 12:46 AM

Hey there, to the OP!!

I had a non medicated birth, with a breech extraction of Baby B. Birth story is here.

In a word, yes, it hurt like hell. Seriously, I think I would have been able to just push him out, with out the OB pulling, but who knows. All throughout my pregnancy, my OB always talked about 'having an epidural just in case'. I refused. When I got to the hospital, Baby A was crowning. When the anesthesiologist showed up in the OR, I told him I wouldn't be needing him. He patted my hand, and said, "well, I'm right over here if you do."

It was always preached to me like the epidural was there in case there was a need for an emergent C section, etc, etc, and if I didn't have one, I'd have to have general anesthesia. I put it in God's hands ... I just didn't want to be forced into an epidural that I didn't want or need, and run the risk of heading down that 'intervention cascade.' I don't regret that decision in the least.

The only thing I would wanted done differently -- a) No stirrups .... horrid invention. b) I wanted a few moments to rest in between births. I felt a little rushed. I wanted time to 'gather myself'.

Good luck!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#8 of 19 Old 11-28-2009, 12:33 PM

I totally felt like that too, Dianna. Only in my case it wasn't anyone rushing me it was just that my body started contracting again for Ben 4 minutes post birth with Claire. I was like "what!?!? NO! NOT YET!!!!" I just wanted to some time Bear first. But she needed a little suction/O2 anyway so they did that while I was pushing Ben out. I wanted to REST! I was soooo tired from Claire's birth.
#9 of 19 Old 11-29-2009, 02:05 AM

Thanks for the stories, ladies!
#10 of 19 Old 11-29-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
I totally felt like that too, Dianna. Only in my case it wasn't anyone rushing me it was just that my body started contracting again for Ben 4 minutes post birth with Claire. I was like "what!?!? NO! NOT YET!!!!" I just wanted to some time Bear first. But she needed a little suction/O2 anyway so they did that while I was pushing Ben out. I wanted to REST! I was soooo tired from Claire's birth.
just thinking about me, and you, makes me tired. Mine was fast and furious ... yours went on for a while, as I recall. Glad to see you're blogging again

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#11 of 19 Old 12-01-2009, 03:42 AM

I had a unmedicated breech birth with baby b. I begged for an extraction since i was in so much pain i could barely breath. They pumped me with a bunch of pitocin since it had been a few hours since baby a was born and i wasn't contracting at all. The midwife ended up helping a little bit and it definitely felt different than my vertex baby but I wouldn't say it hurt any more.
#12 of 19 Old 01-08-2010, 01:01 AM

I had an unmedicated breech extraction. I wasn't educated enough about extraction - I hadn't planned on it or a hospital birth - but the unmedicated part was my choice. My midwives abandoned me less than a day before the babies came though, unexpectedly (over the breech thing, which was NOT a surprise and I'd been assured it was fine).

It hurt, yes. But it wasn't too bad. Knowing now what I do about breech birth I wish I'd been left alone - I know that baby would have come out fine. The damned ultrasound to check positioning was part of the worst of it though, after the first baby came. But, I'd rather that breech extraction than a section - it was about 90 seconds of real pain vs. recovery from major surgery. I screamed twice during it I think and cried some too - but I'm not totally sure that was all what the OB was doing. I'd gone through a LOT of emotions in the 18 hours prior to that and my labor was only 2 hours long (inclusive of an hour's drive to the hospital) so there wasn't time to process anything, really.

Reading birth stories of extractions beforehand helped when the doctor was doing it - he was focusing and not really talking at all. I had a half hour between babies but it didn't seem that long with all the ultrasound monkeying around (baby went head down, I got back on hands and knees, baby didn't come in four contractions, presenting hand because he'd flipped when I turned over again, another ultrasound, amniotomy, version and extraction).

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#13 of 19 Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can't comment on the "unmedicated breech extraction" point, but unless you've already ruled it out, you would have the option of an unmedicated breech birth of Twin B. Not because the doctors will give you that option. . . but because you can insist on it.

After heavy deliberation, that was our choice.

All went well and it was worth the argument in the delivery room (with a doctor we'd never met who probably got a telephone earful from our OB just prior to our arrival - when it became clear we would probably be stopping in a different town part-way to the hospital we planned to birth at).

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#14 of 19 Old 01-09-2010, 12:11 AM

I had a foot-first breech vaginally. My water broke and his foot slid out, so there was no turning back! Just know that there are a few variations on this theme.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#15 of 19 Old 01-09-2010, 03:07 AM

Wow! I think it's pretty amazing that your drs are okay with with a vaginal birth--very cool! When I went into labor with my twins, baby B was transverse, which made my drs want to go right to a c-section, but it made sense to me that once baby A was out of the way, there would be plenty of room to turn baby B from the outside (like a manual version). Fortunately, they agreed to try, and it worked very easily just like I thought. I would think that it might be a possibility for you too, even with baby B being breech. Incidentally, they tried to tell me that the turning of the baby would be so painful, I wouldn't be able to stand it, etc, etc. But after hours and hours of labor and being distracted pushing out another baby at the same time, I honestly felt nothing at all. I hope that you have a wonderful delivery. It's great to see that others have had breech extractions with great success. Maybe your drs will also be a little more patient and allow you to just have a breech birth without the extraction since it sounds like they're a little more open-minded than most.

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
#16 of 19 Old 01-09-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Well...as it turned out, I needed an emergency c-section at 30 weeks gestation: I had a second round of PTL that could not be stopped and their heart rates started to be affected by the pre-term labor drugs. So out they came on 12/7.

Both are doing well but still in the NICU. Hope to have them home in the next two-three weeks.

My c-section recovery is awful: I can't rest and recovery properly since I'm going to the hospital. The docs tell me to take it easy...but how? I have a two year old and two babies in the hospital, plus I am pumping every 2-3 hours. Rest when? Ha.
#17 of 19 Old 01-09-2010, 03:53 PM

Congratulations on your little ones. I hope that the rest of their NICU stay is uneventful and that you will all be home together soon.

I'm sorry about your C-section and rough recovery. Being a twin mom in those early days is so hard, and having NICU babes is even harder.

I'm not sure if this is kosher advice, but could you try to sleep longer at night before the babies come home? At least one stretch of 4-5 solid hours each nigh before you wake up to pump might do you a world of good.

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#18 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 PM

i had a frank breech baby a and breech extraction baby b (we were sitting around oogling baby a when b had sudden seriously low heart rate that was not rising). it hurt very badly, but it was over very quickly and the pain stopped immediately for me. i had no tearing at all and felt great afterwards.

i cannot imagine doing it without stirrups though. as much as i hated them - i was involuntarily fighting against them with all my strength. i was sure i was going to break them. without the stirrups there is no way it would have happened.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#19 of 19 Old 01-11-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevy View Post
Well...as it turned out, I needed an emergency c-section at 30 weeks gestation: I had a second round of PTL that could not be stopped and their heart rates started to be affected by the pre-term labor drugs. So out they came on 12/7.

Both are doing well but still in the NICU. Hope to have them home in the next two-three weeks.

My c-section recovery is awful: I can't rest and recovery properly since I'm going to the hospital. The docs tell me to take it easy...but how? I have a two year old and two babies in the hospital, plus I am pumping every 2-3 hours. Rest when? Ha.
congrats!

i'm sorry your recovery is going badly. :-(

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page