Well, my MDC friends, my triplets have arrived. On Saturday, Nov 21st at 34weeks and 2days, my family grew x3. We welcomed: Simon Joseph at 3lb,14oz, Lorelei Maize at 4lb,8oz, and Grayson Patrick at 4lb,14oz.
Here is their somewhat complicated birth story. Many of you know that there was some risk to both me and the triplets progressing farther into this pregnancy due to a vertical/"classical" uterine incision. The decision as to how far to go was of much debate between me, my OB practice, and many others. Each had many legitimate reasons for their side of the debate. My OB wanted an earlier delivery due to risk of uterine rupture; I wanted a later delivery in order to give my babes as much time in the womb as possible. Ultimately, we settled on a Nov 30th date as long as all remained well, getting me to 35wk and 4days.
I was hospitalized at 32 weeks for no reason other than to be close to the trauma center/blood bank should we face uterine rupture. I had no blood pressure, cervix, premature labor issues. I literally was there just in case.
Two weeks later, at 34wk and 1day, my OB, plus one of his colleagues that he knew I greatly respected as well as the NICU attending came to my hospital room and we conferenced. The NICU doc expressed her deep concern for my babes should we face uterine rupture; she stated that the NICU potentially could not save all of my babies should we face this emergency. She argued that a few weeks of prematurity vs. life threatening danger wasn't really a gamble she was comfortable with. I pointed out that I was concerned about respiratory distress; each doc restated that they believed I would not have to deal with any respiratory distress as my babes were now over 34 weeks and I had received one round of the steroids at hospital admission; I was expressed my skeptism at this.
I was informed that they (the three docs) had decided on a line in the sand -- that if I had 3-4 contractions in an hour, they would delivery me. I was even told that they may not even wait for my husband to arrive (we live an hour away). The conference ended with the decision to put me on the monitors 1 hr a day to record contractions and that I was to inform the nurses when I had had 2 contractions less than hour apart. I felt bull-dozed and shocked. This had not been my experience with these doctors and now I felt trapped.
At this point in my pregnancy I was occasionally contracting -- 2 contractions an hour about every other day; occasionally 4 contractions in an hour once or twice, never more than this. I still felt trapped. I called my husband, told him to make arrangements for old DD and get to the hospital. I didn't think I would be able to last the day; I felt for sure that "something was going to happen."
At 6pm that night I was put on the montiors for 2 hours and had about 3 contractions an hour (hence why I was put on for an additional hour). The attending OB said I was good, no delivery tonight. I felt relieved. He asked me to promise him if the contractions returned and/or if they became painful, I would inform a nurse.
Between 9:50-10:10 that night I contracted about 4 times (up walking); I called the nurse and I was placed back on the monitors. Over the next hour and a half I contracted about 6 times. I felt fine. The contractions were tight, but not painful. The babes heart rates were great. I was not dilating. Contractions went away when I lied down. The Attending OB declared that I was to be delivered. I felt spooked. I felt that maybe I was underestimating the danger to my babes. I consented. Looking back at this, I was in so little distress that I walked myself to the OR room, I don't think I had contracted in 25 min. My babes came into the world at 1:45am on Saturday, Nov 21st. Each had a good strong cry at birth.
Over the next 2 days, I came to regret my decision. One of my triplets needed to be vented due to respiratory distress (for about 36hrs), one was on CPAP, 2 had PDAs, on and on it seemed to go. I really began to feel like a failure as a mother and an advocate for my children. I began to resent my OB and his colleague for pressuring me into this decision. Yesterday, I learned that it was the NICU doctors who were really pressuring my OBs for the early arrival; that they ultimately convinced my OB that he was making the wrong decision to allow me to go farther. This did provide some comfort to me as I no longer felt betrayed by this person whom I had trusted. I felt comforted that it was the babies' doctor that was pushing for the delivery.
Now, on day 5 of life, my triplets seem much stronger than they did 2-3 days ago. My girl breastfed today and will most likely be home in a week or two; no one is vented or on CPAP; all are now moving forward in their treatment and I can see that they will each recover from their journey.
Thank you all for your advice and support throughout this pregnancy. I have relied on your words of wisdom and humor so much over the last 8 months. I sincerely appreciate you all taking the time to read my words and offer your thoughts up. Sincerely.
So there you go. MDC has 3 more crunchy babes to talk about and my life will never be the same. . . . . . .