Slings - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did any of you fit two babies in a sling? What sling did you like (whether or not it fit two) I'm thinking about the challenges of going upstairs and downstairs with 2 babies...Thanks!
#2 of 11 Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 PM

I carried my girls in an unpadded adjustable ring sling for a couple of months, but to be honest I found it a bit challenging to get them all squished in there. I prefered a wrap type carrier until they were too big for that and then moved to using a wrap for one on the front and a Becco Butterfly for one on the back (around 3-4 months when they have a lot more head control for the back carry). We live in a 2-story home so yes there are lots of trips up and down the stairs, but I generally don't put them in a carrier just for that.

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
#3 of 11 Old 12-04-2009, 12:48 AM

I am so about to have this issue. We are moving on Saturday to our new home with stairs. sigh.

I did wear my boys in a maya wrap for a few weeks, but I don't think I would have been comfortable going up and down stairs.

I still wear both of them in seperate New Native Slings that I think would do the job of getting them up and down stairs. Alternatively, I would be comfortable wearing one in the sling and carrying the other.

I'll be curious what others do.

Babywearing, breastfeeding, Mother of MoMo twins and their older brother.
#4 of 11 Old 12-04-2009, 06:39 AM

i just haul them up and down with no sling, but i like to wrap them for longer times, or wrap one and beco the other. now they're bigger i'm using an ergo and sold the beco, but it was irreplaceable in the first year

i'm not a sling girl at all really. did use them for my singletons but they seem redundant with carrying twins if you want to have hands free.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#5 of 11 Old 12-04-2009, 09:37 AM

i crisscrossed 2 hotslings (one a size larger) when they were very small, like under 10lbs, but it was definitely cumbersome and i don't think i could have done steps that way (my house is all one floor). i'm also 5'2, so if you're taller it could be more manageable...

i tried stuffing them both in a sling once - it was absurd

i vote one in the ergo, carry one.
#6 of 11 Old 12-04-2009, 11:09 AM

When they were really little (first 4 months) I would wrap them together in a moby wrap. But that would be for long periods of time. For trips up the stairs I would just do one at at time. Carry one up, put them someplace safe, run back down and grab the other one. Good exercise - lol.

When they got bigger I would sometimes put one in an ergo on my back and one in a mei tei on my front but they get quite heavy. Now at almost 18 months I sometimes use the ergo on my back and carry one in my arms for really short trips. I'm actually enjoying ds being more sure footed so I can hold his hand and he walks while I carry dd (who just started walking - yay). It's slow going but my back and arm muscles are enjoying the break.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#7 of 11 Old 12-06-2009, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We used wraps for the boys. When they were little I used to put them both in - one on each side (it crossed in front) then when they got too big for that I would sling the heavier one and carry the lighter one. We moved into our house when the boys were six months and put gates on the stairs and on the kitchen so it was safe for them to have the run of the downstairs. By that point they were both climbing stairs, otherwise I would just haul them both up together.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#8 of 11 Old 12-09-2009, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't have twins , but I do help mothers learn to babywear. I have also worn 2, not twins, just siblings. I had a mama of twins come over yesterday and we put both babies in one wrap. It was a woven wrap and we did one of the front and one on the back.

Instructions are here

You could modify this carry with just doing a ruck on the back. We used a 5.2m wrap. There are other carries you can do with just one wrap and 2 babies, either one on the front and one on the back, or one on each hip also.

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
#9 of 11 Old 12-12-2009, 04:23 PM

I know this isn't a sling and it's pretty much a double Baby Bjorn (which I know is not too popular around here), but it's interesting... http://www.multiplesoutlet.com/site/...ct/994-6481373

dd1 4/7/05 dd2 8/22/07 and b/g twins born 5/23/10
#10 of 11 Old 12-15-2009, 01:09 PM

I actually loved using my ring sling (made for me by a friend - just your basic long, hemmed cloth with two sturdy rings) with my twins, and I used it upwards of 18 months.

When they were teeny-tiny, I'd snuggle them both in it, with the top of the sling all the way up to the back of their heads. It was perfect, and left my hands free.

When they were toddlers, I'd just have it snugged around their bottoms, and I'd use an arm to keep them upright. I usually did that in church, because it was a way to walk them in the back without totally wearing out my arms.

For longer walks, when they were bigger, I used two mei-teis, one front and one back.

And for the stairs in our house, I'd just carry them with my arms. Still do - but now instead of two sleeping babies, one head on either of my shoulders, I have two huge wiggley toddlers, complaining that it's not REALLY naptime yet!
#11 of 11 Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 PM

I used a maya ring sling for the first 4-5 months and *loved* it! They looked so cute snuggled in there together!

It was quite comfortable for me and they seemed to love it too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page