Heartburn! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The heartburn in this twin pregnancy started early and has grown increasingly worse...making me not want to eat anything. Help! The following are on an approved list from my OB:

Mylanta
Maalox
Pepcid AC
Zantac

If you've found any one of these to be particularly effective, please let me know before I go out and buy all of them... I didn't list TUMS b/c it's not effective enough for me anymore.

Also, anyone had luck with papaya enzyme tablets?

X-Posted in DDC
#2 of 12 Old 12-08-2009, 01:03 AM

Oh I feel for you so much! By 18 weeks or so I couldn't eat a bagel with cream cheese without getting heartburn! None of the drugs on your list helped me but my OB OKed Prilosec OTC, which helped incredibly. I took a similar drug but Rx (Protonix) when I was in the hospital because they didn't stock the OTC. I know it's Cat C, but for my case it was worth it.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#3 of 12 Old 12-08-2009, 04:01 AM

Reflux was the worst part of my pregnancy (and that included bedrest starting at 24 weeks).
We ended up putting the head of the bed up 6 inches on blocks (step stools I got at walmart). It made a huge difference for me. None of the things you listed did. I did not do enzymes but enzymes didn't help my refluxer with his reflux. I wouldn't expect them to help in pregnancy either as it is the general relaxing of the muscles and the babies pushing on stuff that causes the reflux--not so much your digestion. Though if you're also having constipation they could possibly help, they are safe, and certainly worth a try in my mind.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 12 Old 12-08-2009, 02:25 PM

Papaya for sure helped me earlier on in my pregnancy. After about 34 weeks though the only cure was birth!

#5 of 12 Old 12-08-2009, 09:50 PM

Papaya enzyme and acupuncture worked for me.
Maybe a little hair of the dog will work for you? Try a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
#6 of 12 Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 PM

Here are some things that keep heartburn at bay in this house (DH has it something terrible, I've begun to get it for the first time in my life):

Drink AT LEAST 8 glasses (8oz) of water everyday, I drink 8 (16oz) glasses!
An apple.
Cal/mag/zinc supplementation.
Remaining upright for an hour after eating.

It is amazing to see the difference when we simply don't drink enough water for a day. And, an apple can cure my heartburn in a matter of minutes, quicker than anything else.

My DH has been on all kinds of drugs both OTC and prescription for his heartburn and these are the only things that work.

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
#7 of 12 Old 12-09-2009, 11:15 AM

Oh Mama, I soooo feel for you. This was my desperate cry for help on the exact same topic just about a year ago.

I found that the best advice was related to the type of food I ate, particularly later in the day...no refined carbs at all really helped. I also starting eating pineapple after supper...I know, I know, the thought of eating something acidic sounds ludicrous, but it REALLY worked! I didn't do the apple cider vinegar, I just couldn't bear the thought of vinegar down my throat, but I bet it would work too. I tried papaya during my first pregnancy and it didn't do a thing for me.

And I realize that for most people birth is the best cure but unfortunately for me I actually still had heartburn for almost a month pp After that though it did go away, thank goodness.

Reading your post is like a little walk down memory lane

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
#8 of 12 Old 12-12-2009, 01:18 AM

The papaya helped me early on. About 28wks and thereafter I ate a steady diet of Gaviscon Foaming Tablets. I would just pop one at a time when it really HURT, and that would tame it for a short period of time.

I also found rolling....pardon me, HEAVING my body to the right caused it to just come right up!

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#9 of 12 Old 12-12-2009, 01:22 AM

The papaya helped me early on. About 28wks and thereafter I ate a steady diet of Gaviscon Foaming Tablets. I would just pop one at a time when it really HURT, and that would tame it for a short period of time.

I also found rolling....pardon me, HEAVING my body to the right caused it to just come right up!

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#10 of 12 Old 12-13-2009, 02:02 AM

From very early on everything I drank tasted like I was drinking battery acid. Heck, breathing became an issue, I did use a few Rolaids but very sparingly. But yeah, the only cure was birthing.........I remember my first meal afterwards and I commented that the milk I drank actually tasted like MILK and not battery acid. The change was instantaneous. Thankfully it's only temporary, a handful of months!

~Patricia~, wife to D, mom to V:, mummy to S/C : , ::. Learning how to be a GREAT mom to my autistic twins and loving it!
#11 of 12 Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ2+2 View Post
I also starting eating pineapple after supper...I know, I know, the thought of eating something acidic sounds ludicrous, but it REALLY worked! I didn't do the apple cider vinegar, I just couldn't bear the thought of vinegar down my throat, but I bet it would work too. I tried papaya during my first pregnancy and it didn't do a thing for me.

And I realize that for most people birth is the best cure but unfortunately for me I actually still had heartburn for almost a month pp
OMG, I really HOPE it goes away -- right away-- post-partum. It did with my other pregnancies -- but then again, it didn't start until the end with those. Anyone else find pineapple helpful? How about apple cider vinegar?
#12 of 12 Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
OMG, I really HOPE it goes away -- right away-- post-partum. It did with my other pregnancies -- but then again, it didn't start until the end with those. Anyone else find pineapple helpful? How about apple cider vinegar?
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you! Just so you know, even though I still had it, it was NOTHING like it was when I was pregnant

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page