They're here!! Help!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-10-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So... my water broke around 8:30pm on December 2nd. Since we knew both babies were transvers, it wsa right to the hospital for a c-section. Baby A, Sarah was born at 11:44. She was 6lb 5oz and 19". Baby B, Benjamin was born at 11:48. He was 6lb 11oz and 20". He spent some time in the NICU for fluid in the lungs and lack of eating (used a feeding tube for a bit). We are all home now.

SO....I currently have to pump and bottle feed. Sarah is a lazy eater and was not nursing enough to grow. Benjamin is even further behind. How can I get them on a better schedule at night. CUrrently we are feeding every hour and add that to the pumping every three hours and we dont' get any sleep. At the hospital I was told they only need to eat every three hours.

ALso, is there hope to get them fully on teh breast. THe lactation consultant says yes, but I'm getting frustrated. Sometimes Sarah will suck and swallow but Benjamin isn't improving. I also don't get muhc time to practice with all else goine on.

TIA!

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 12-10-2009, 01:30 PM

Congrats again!!

I think that there is always hope, mama. So try not to get discouraged. Is there anyway to use a supplmental nursing system instead of a bottle? I just worry about nipple preference at this stage for you.

I also think that you shouldn't expect too much of a schedule at this point. Also, do you have a scale at home to weigh them before and after nursing sessions? Perhaps they are getting more than what you think?

I think the key here is to take it one feeding at a time. Always put to the breast first and then supplement with pumped milk afterwards. I would really try a SNS so that they can get their feedings at the breast.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#3 of 16 Old 12-10-2009, 02:02 PM

i just wanted to say congrats on the healthy babies!!

sorry i don't have much advice on the bf... with dd we didn't have much problem but all i can say is keep with it... they will get the hang of it!!

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#4 of 16 Old 12-10-2009, 02:10 PM

Both my girls were EBF by 12 weeks. It took a bit of time, but worked out for us. Patience is key. Best wishes.
#5 of 16 Old 12-10-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia'sMom View Post
CUrrently we are feeding every hour and add that to the pumping every three hours and we dont' get any sleep. At the hospital I was told they only need to eat every three hours.

Feeding every three hours is not my experience, no matter what the hospital told you they 'needed'. I thought every two hours was reasonable, and would try to "make them wait" until two hours was up. I figured it out within a few short days, thankfully! We nursed about every hour and a half for about the first three weeks. Then things started to space out further.

My advice to get them onto the breast is nurse first each time. Let someone else feed the "top off" portion of the meal while you pump after each feeding (
I didn't pump after night feedings, only daytime ones)

I used haberman feeders instead of bottles. I think it helped prevent nipple confusion. I'm sure there's other choices, too, but I wouldn't use standard bottles.

I kept my babies swaddled most of the time when they were small. It kept them warmer, and eliminated flailing limbs that would unsettle them.

You can pump hands free without buying an expensive kit. Take a bra you like but can live without. Cut a horizontal line at the nipple area. Put the horns on your breast with the hole poking out of the line you cut in the bra. Hook up to the pump.

Oh, and congrats! It's hard to find the time to do so, but enjoy those babies! I suggest making sure to let them fall asleep on your chest. That is such a fleeting thing, but so sweet.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#6 of 16 Old 12-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post
Feeding every three hours is not my experience, no matter what the hospital told you they 'needed'. I thought every two hours was reasonable, and would try to "make them wait" until two hours was up. I figured it out within a few short days, thankfully! We nursed about every hour and a half for about the first three weeks. Then things started to space out further.

My advice to get them onto the breast is nurse first each time. Let someone else feed the "top off" portion of the meal while you pump after each feeding (
I didn't pump after night feedings, only daytime ones)

I used haberman feeders instead of bottles. I think it helped prevent nipple confusion. I'm sure there's other choices, too, but I wouldn't use standard bottles.

I kept my babies swaddled most of the time when they were small. It kept them warmer, and eliminated flailing limbs that would unsettle them.

You can pump hands free without buying an expensive kit. Take a bra you like but can live without. Cut a horizontal line at the nipple area. Put the horns on your breast with the hole poking out of the line you cut in the bra. Hook up to the pump.

Oh, and congrats! It's hard to find the time to do so, but enjoy those babies! I suggest making sure to let them fall asleep on your chest. That is such a fleeting thing, but so sweet.

#7 of 16 Old 12-10-2009, 08:28 PM

hospitals just don't help sometimes

it's really, really normal to be feeding every hour for months. it would only be a problem if you had sore nipples and babies were nipple feeding as opposed to breast feeding (ie: not actually latched properly, so not getting sufficient milk)

get as much skin to skin as you can and google 'biological nurturing'. ideally you can let the babies go to the breast and re enact an ideal post natal set up (baby in a more upright position 'up' the chest as opposed to cross cradle/ football hold. let them nuzzle your nipple and just 'be' at the breast. it's very healing for all of you.

always b'feed first and top up only if they are really not getting what they need when you feed on demand. in the absence of any medical obstacles, i'd vote you go breast feeds only, and really, really feed on demand. get them weighed every few days initially and do it under supervision of an LC.

use breast compressions as the baby slows his/her suckle: just cup your breast and give a gentle squeeze. you should find baby will more actively suckle again for a while. you can repeat this step a number of times on one side, but can also switch feed from side to side if they respond well. using breast compressions alongside this can be helpful for sleepy/ weaker latch babies.

my babies are only just stretching more to two hourly feeds at 14 months (12 adjusted)

they were fed three hourly in scbu, but as soon as they were fully b'fed went to every 45 mins - hour and a half.

we're not supposed to be saving the world outside our homes when we're breastfeeding, but we are building a peaceful future by investing our time nurturing our babies and offering mummy milk. it's worth doing

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#8 of 16 Old 12-10-2009, 08:31 PM

oh, and nighttime feeds are really important to keep babies healthy and well and for you to benefit from the hormones that rise at night to boost your milk supply

#9 of 16 Old 12-10-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post

we're not supposed to be saving the world outside our homes when we're breastfeeding, but we are building a peaceful future by investing our time nurturing our babies and offering mummy milk. it's worth doing
I need to hang this on my fridge.
#10 of 16 Old 12-11-2009, 07:44 AM

Congrats on the babies! To be honest I haven't read any of the replies, I don't have much time (just got done pumping at 2:40am and gotta get to bed) but I wanted to tell you something that came to mind. I have one lazy eater and one with a shallow latch...they are 7 weeks now...the long and the short of it it that I about gave up like a week ago because things had not improved a whole lot. Just in a weeks time they have both gotten SO much better that I almost feel like they have it down *almost*. I had to use a nipple shield for a while and it just seemed like them being older with bigger mouths and more strength really makes a difference as long as you keep trying it so they don't forget how to nurse (before the instinct goes away). Anyway, I know all babies are different but I would just keep trying it, and pumping and supplementing (that's what I had to do) and sometimes just giving them time to grow really helps! Good luck!
#11 of 16 Old 12-12-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! The steps I'm going to do now:
1) I've got the hands-free pumping bra made. (Thanks Red Pajamas)
2) I'm picking up some "More Milk Plus" and Mothers Tea this afternoon to boost my supply. We still need soem formula at night since I can't keep up with the pumping.
3) I also have an appointment to pick up a SNS system this afternoon to try instead of bottles.
4) The breastfeeding support group, led by a LC, meets eveyr MOnday, so I'll be there.

They're suck really is miserable. Sometimes DD2 will productively nurse for a couple of moniutes, but a lot of times it's just comfort nursing and ds is even worse. There's no way I feel I can just nurse them now without starving them. Hopefully time will improve it as I keep trying and they grow. The doctor reminds me that they're not even supposed to be born yet.

Shukr - I must admit that you're post kind of scared me. Every hour for a year. Yikes! They have spaced out to every 2 hours or so right now, which works with me. Otherwise I have no idea how I'd find time to pump, nurse, bottle and sometime feed myself and hopefully use the bathroom. I do expect the frequency to pick up as they get older adn are more awake.

DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#12 of 16 Old 12-16-2009, 05:16 AM

I have skimmed most posts and want to say that you said something in your last post that is very key - that your twins were not even supposed to be born yet.

It is very common for late premature babies to not have a vigorous latch - they probably just need a little more time - and I feel like at this point just getting them your milk anyway you can is the best for them.

If you like SNS, great - if not, keep your top priority that they get your breastmilk and know that this will end soon....you are doing more than amazing work and your babies are so lucky that you are dedicated to giving them your milk.

There are no firm/ fast rules to breastfeeding (apart from keep up the demand so your body keeps up the supply) and every baby is different...if latching them first before they get a bottle poops them out too much, it's better to give a bottle first. Or try latching first every other/ every third feed. The priority is getting your milk in their bellies.

I also agree fullheartedly with the person who encouraged lots of skin to skin - napping on your bare chest...

I think the most important thing for your babies is to get enough food so that they can eventually become vigorous breastfeeders - how they are now is not an indication of how they will be in a week or two (or even a day or two).

Also, consult with a LC if you can...some can come to your house and weigh your babies pre and post feed - which will be beneficial once they are more vigorous latchers. An LC can also help with pumping - I found it really helpful for my supply to stop for a few minutes after pumping for 10 minutes to massage my breasts and then start pumping again...I also was continuously massaging my breasts while pumping...

My twins were premature and came home on bottles and were not enthusiastic breastfeeders for a few weeks - it wasn't until my husband and I spent a whole night up with super hungry babies (who had had good weight gain that week) that I decided (per my LC's advice) to go "cold turkey" and have a nurse-in. I dedicated myself to sitting on my couch/ bed braless with my EZ2 Nurse for 24 hours - and just breastfed whenever they wanted to (my husband brought me food/ water as needed) - my nipples were sore for a few days but my twins are great breastfeeders now (in fact, they've switched and have stopped taking the bottle well...).

The key is to make sure your babies are ready - a hungry baby will breastfeed - it may take a few tries but once they are ready for a nurse-in, you will have them latching well by the 4th or 5th feed.

It will happen - your determinedness is what will make it work.

I know this stage is hard - but again, you are doing an amazing job for your babies.
#13 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 11:20 AM

There is plenty of time for them to learn to nurse. My babies were born at 36 weeks and were pretty clueless at the breast for the first week or so of life. One used a nipple shield for a few weeks because her mouth was so small. Eventually they got the hang of it, and yours will too. Just stick with it. And congrats!
#14 of 16 Old 12-22-2009, 11:28 AM

hi, ive never had twins before but i do have a 2,3,and 4 yr old. they told the same thing at the hospital. to only feed every 3 hrs. i feed mine whenever they were hungry. at night it seemed like they wanted to eat more often so i tried dipping a paci in breast milk and it pushed the feeding times out a little bit during the night.
#15 of 16 Old 12-24-2009, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update. DD2 has only taken the breast for the last 24 hours. Hopefully her time for supplementation is over with and breastfeeding will go smoothly from now on. I'm still pumping every 3 hours for DS. DS still doesn't breastfeed well at all. He barely takes a bottle well so we are feeding him constantly. He is still not up to birth weight so the ped is having us do weekly weight checks until he improves. Hopefully time will help. THanks for teh advice and support.

DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#16 of 16 Old 12-25-2009, 09:29 AM

oh, that's wonderful news with your dd
here's praying your ds will follow. it was my dd who took forever to catch up and get the hang of it. i remember wondering if it was ever going to happen. but it did!!! about 4/5 weeks after her bro, she got there (and it's been a pattern with pretty much everything ever since.lol. but she did tantrums waaay better than him since the start )

and sorry to scare you with the idea of hourly feeds!! they tend to take a shorter time per feed as they get older. but it's a reality for many b'feeding mums. but if it's not that frequent for you now, then it probably won't ever be

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page