maybe a little premature...GD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-11-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I gave in and did the glucose test at my 28 week appt the other day. The OB likes to see 140 and my number was 146. I knew there was no way I could physically handle a three-hour test and the OB wasn't really that worried anyway. But, we decided it'd be best if I just checked my glucose for a couple weeks.

Fine, sure. But he wants to see my fasting (first a.m. testing) to be 95. Yesterday it was 102 and today it was 109. But, he also wants to see my after meal numbers below 120 and the highest I have gotten has been 117.

The nurse just reassured me and said they'll only worry if I see a 200. But still, not being at or below the numbers the dr gave me worries ME, and now I'm wondering.

Let's say by some chance they do want me to follow the GD diet. I just feel like it'll be that much harder to gain weight. Has anyone been through this? I don't even know what to expect. I don't eat a lot of sweets but I do like carbs. And even Dr. Luke recommends a bowl of cereal before bed (which could be contributing to my higher fasting number).

*shrug* Any thoughts?

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-13-2009, 08:21 PM

A couple of thoughts. First, between my twin pregnancy in 2005 and my daughter in 2007, doctors (at least mine) became much stricter in terms of "ideal" numbers. Your numbers deserve watching, but not intervention based on my experience.

I was insulin dependent with my twins, and would have loved to see numbers like yours. With my singleton, we controlled it with the oral pill only, which is no big deal, if that comes your way.

And yes, it is very difficult to gain weight (again, at least for me) while monitoring your blood sugar.

If you're just looking to get your fasting number down, you could try nuts before bed rather than cereal.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#3 of 6 Old 12-13-2009, 10:51 PM

I'm just coming to the end of dealing with this.

I'm assuming the 120 is at 2 hours?

I found that adding extra protein to each meal, cutting the carbs slightly (so eggs, and a breakfast meat for breakfast but only 1/2 english muffin or 1 slice of toast w/PB) worked well for me.

For some reason starting each day with a protein heavy breakfast made the whole days numbers better.

If I ate a heavy protein meal even dessert didn't raise my numbers above the limit.

A few basic changes here and there were fairly easy and worked well, I set aside just a little extra meat for my plate and cut my carbs just a bit in each meal, didn't eat carbs or anything with sugar before a meal (saved it for after).

I had numbers vary close to yours but my fasting was lower. For me just being aware and testing to keep track were enough to keep my numbers good.

The one thing I absolutely could not eat at ALL was cereal.....even my organic raisin bran, just couldn't keep the numbers down on cereal.
#4 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post
Your numbers deserve watching, but not intervention based on my experience.
agree.

I had gd, your numbers sound about what mine were. It was a SHOCK going from eating how much I wanted to the gd diet. For the first week or so I was hungry. However, I was vegetarian until my third trimester and that sudden up of protein balanced that initial hunger out. If you do consult a nutritionist, make sure they are setting your diet up for multiples and maybe even check other daily suggested caloric intakes against their suggestions.

stay away from anything w/ msg, it will raise your blood sugar (and made me sick)

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#5 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 07:51 AM

Michel Odent suggests gd can be a physiological normal for pregnancy (so it must be more so with multiples) you could google/ contact him to find more info.

i think unless you have a family history of diabetes, you should be fine following the advice to increase protein (which you want to do for your preg. anyway) and keeping a vague (but not worried) eye on the levels.

edit to add this web link:
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/gd/gd_index.html

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#6 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

My numbers have gotten significantly better. The last couple mornings my fasting numbers were about 90. All I changed was what I was eating before bed- instead of cereal (like Dr. Luke suggests) I've been having a protein shake (Shaklee no-soy) and some peanut butter. It's actually great! I'm waking up less hungry too!

Breakfast this morning was an 87. And even a rather decent piece of chocolate cake with a glass of milk last night was only 105. These are numbers taken after an hour (not two). It wasn't a normal testing time, I ate the cake about an hour after dinner (after testing), and tested about an hour after that. Mostly out of curiosity!

My grandmother had diabetes which is the only reason I agree to the glucose test in the first place. But I'm beginning to think my only problem is that I'm a carb girl. It's probably better for my twins that I'm monitoring- it is reminding me how important protein is! But I'm pretty sure after looking at a few days worth of numbers (without being too careful about diet) that I don't have GD.

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page