Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it possible??

Tee wife to Peter! Mama to Angel baby and Miracle baby born February 23rd 2010
#2 of 14 Old 12-12-2009, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It was advised against for my di/di twin home birth due to some concerns she'd read over the placenta of A detaching before B's birth if the cord wasn't clamped and cut fairly quickly. I've read something here at MDC recently that said the exact opposite. It wasn't something I cared to fight on since it was one of the few things she felt strongly about.
#3 of 14 Old 12-12-2009, 08:56 AM

Intertwined, can you point me to where you read the opposite if you can remember which forum please?

I'm compiling (still mostly in my head, but with some notes now) my all-the-horrid-things-you-did-to-us letter to send to the mat unit and scbu so anything evidence based on this would be veeeery appreciated

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#4 of 14 Old 12-12-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
Intertwined, can you point me to where you read the opposite if you can remember which forum please?

I'm compiling (still mostly in my head, but with some notes now) my all-the-horrid-things-you-did-to-us letter to send to the mat unit and scbu so anything evidence based on this would be veeeery appreciated
Maybe this is what intertwined is referring to:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?p=6134254

#5 of 14 Old 12-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Saw this on new posts - am not a parent of multiples, but have attended 2 twin hb as a mw asst. At the last, cords were not cut, no problems. Was actually beneficial b/c baby b had some issues starting up. (At the first, cord broke on Baby A after Baby B was born - both babies also fine with that birth).

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#6 of 14 Old 12-12-2009, 02:12 PM

In the case of babies being in separate sacs and placentas, my midwife will delay cord cutting for up to 5 minutes.

She explained it to me that the cutting of the cord triggers a response for the placentas to detach from the uterus. This in turn can cause a cut off of oxygen to the second baby.

We have two separate sacs and placentas and will be delaying cutting the cord for the first baby while we continue to monitor the second baby.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#7 of 14 Old 12-12-2009, 07:44 PM

We planned on delaying cutting both until they stopped pulsing (di/di). After 4 minutes I think it was, we cut baby A's b/c he was born in the water, the cord was short, and it was logistically difficult for me to keep his face above water. With baby B we didn't cut it until after the placenta was born. The placentas came out fused together, fwiw.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#8 of 14 Old 12-12-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel65655 View Post
In the case of babies being in separate sacs and placentas, my midwife will delay cord cutting for up to 5 minutes.

She explained it to me that the cutting of the cord triggers a response for the placentas to detach from the uterus. This in turn can cause a cut off of oxygen to the second baby.

We have two separate sacs and placentas and will be delaying cutting the cord for the first baby while we continue to monitor the second baby.
it seems to me that it would be as important, if not more important to not cut baby A's cord for those that share a placenta then... am i misunderstanding?

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

#9 of 14 Old 12-13-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to my midwife about it and she said they always do delayed with twins as long as baby b is doing well.
Her last twin home birth the babies were born an hour and a half apart so they were able to leave baby A's cord on for quite some time until it finished pulsating and then were able to do the same for baby B.

#10 of 14 Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 AM

We waited about 5 minutes with Baby A. When the conractions started up again and I could feel Baby B slide down, we cut Baby A's cord. Would we have cut it right away if we'd known they shared a placenta? Maybe, but it still worked out just fine.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#11 of 14 Old 12-14-2009, 09:58 PM

This is an interesting question. As a proponent of noninterventionist birth, cutting the cord seems odd, unnatural, and unnecessary in most instances. And at first thought, it seemed that in a twin birth it would be just as interventionist, but I'm not sure now. In di/di twins, is it always that both babies deliver and then the placentas? Even with monochorionic twins, after birth the mechanisms in the baby that allow blood flow from the placenta begin to close off when the baby begins to breathe, so I'm not sure how much blood could be "taken" from the other baby. Have you considered posting this on the birth professionals board? I think it would make for an interesting discussion there.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#12 of 14 Old 12-15-2009, 07:24 AM

I'd read that delaying cord cutting could help avoid severe hemorrhaging (though it wasn't advised without two placentas and sacks), so I opted to delay cord cutting until the cord had stopped pulsing. It turned out that we cut the cord at about 7 minutes after my first twin was born (second twin was quickly showing that she was making an entrance). My midwife, who'd never done that with twins before was so amazed--she had never seen a twin birth with so little bleeding (she'd previously mentioned that with twin births, they'd sometimes had to transfer because of excessive bleeding, so I'd consented to her bringing Pitocin in case it was needed to control bleeding--we didn't have to use it at all).
#13 of 14 Old 12-26-2009, 01:18 PM

We didn't clamp and cut for a long time with either of them, but they were di/di so they had seperate placentas. They were fused, although we didn't know that and it didn't matter.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#14 of 14 Old 06-07-2014, 02:18 AM

research to show my dr?

Hi. I am interested to have more info about this, as I want to show my doctor. Any research you can guide me to?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page