Are they ready for 1 nap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2009, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My twins are almost 15 months and spent 1 week trying to transition them to 1 nap. I thought they were ready, as 1 twin would often take 3 hour naps when I put her down at 10:00am. She would sleep until 1 and then really fight her afternoon nap. Twin 2 was also fighting afternoon naps and they were ending up going to bed so late (10:30 or 11pm), because their afternoon nap was so late that I thought-let me try 1 nap a day for both of them.

For 2 days it worked. They took one long nap after their lunch at 11:30 and slept for 2 1/2 or 3 hours. Then they went to bed early-8:00 or 8:30pm. Well, the three days after that their 1 afternoon nap was only 1 1/2 hours. Not enough, in my thinking, for them to stay up til 8:30pm at night (and get up at 7am), but I still perservered, thinking that the transition would take some time.

Then came the weekend...Saturday they seemed SOOO tired that I had them take a morning nap. Well, same thing happened...fighting, fighting, fighting their second nap and up LATE! Then Sunday they slept in the car coming home from church at 12:00 and then only slept for 1 1/2 hours. Again...fighting nap in the afternoon and late night.

Then comes today...a disaster! The girls were totally tired, cried a lot in the morning, much more fussy than usual. But I thought...let me try 1 nap again, so I don't have to fight that afternoon nap. They went down at 11:45. Twin 1 wouldn't sleep, so she ended up crying herself to sleep after 5 minutes or so. (She was totally OVERTIRED) Twin 2 went down fairly easily, but then they still only slept for 1 hour and 15 minutes! They woke up RIGHT when I was getting their older brother to sleep (who won't sleep without me rocking him...another story, but not the issue right now). I wanted them to go back to sleep, so I nursed them and put them back to sleep. Didn't work, just crying. Then they fought their afternoon nap again, but I ended up making them sleep for almost 2 hours or so total. They woke up at 5:30pm and I suspect that we will all be up late at night tonight.

Now, for your expertise, please help. Do you think they are ready for 1 nap or should I keep giving them 2?

My mom says that sometimes they might take 1 and sometimes they might take 2, but then their schedule seems so messed up that way with sometimes eating lunch early, sometimes late, etc. And then if they sleep just a really short nap and keep it 1 nap, then they won't make it til 8:00pm or 8:30pm, which is the time I would like them to sleep in the evening. We usually don't eat dinner til 7:00 at least, so 8 is the earliest I can get 3 kids to bed.

Anyway, any help or suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My twins were my only kids to be down to one nap by 13 months and it was rough! I felt like they actually weren't getting enough sleep. My singletons dropped their second naps at 15/16 months. It takes a few weeks to adjust. I don't think it's something that can happen in just a week for most kids.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 12-15-2009, 01:27 AM

Neither of my kids made the transition easily. We just adjusted their schedules accordingly. It made that period of a few weeks really rough to plan but before long we were down to one nap.

If they seemed to be getting tired in the morning, I'd put them down for a morning nap. If they could wait a bit, I'd feed them a super early "lunch" (more like a snack) and then we'd do another "lunch" later. So it sort of broke lunch up into two.

And, if they napped just once, bedtime was sometimes super early. We're talking 6:30 or 7pm. I just sort of went with the flow for awhile. But I did find that sleep begets sleep and letting them get overtired for the sake of preserving our schedule just made it that much more difficult.

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
Old 12-15-2009, 03:04 AM

One of the mamas off of this board had just about the same experience as you (I get to hang out w/her here in Portland, ), and I feel like such a "lazy" mom in the respect that we never really had a "nap time" per se. They just slept when they needed to. I guess I would say that they've been down to one nap for a while, but sometimes they take two. I just don't have the energy to track it, or to be too concerned about it!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 AM

Nap transitions have always been hard here. With my singleton, we went through a long period where he sometimes took one nap and sometimes took 2. With the triplets, that made for so much chaos in the day that I couldn't manage it. Instead, I forced them onto one nap and was willing to have bedtime be as early as 5:30 on days when they were really tired. And, I would let them go to bed at different times even though it destroyed the bedtime routine on those days.

It was much easier to be flexible about bedtime at night than it was to be flexible with naps.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
Old 12-15-2009, 11:42 AM

We started the transistion around 15 months too but it took a couple of months rather than a week or two. So, I think you should be prepared for a few more weeks of unpredictability.

During the transistional time we made lots of exceptions day to day. I would rarely let them start a nap after 3pm. Instead, I would do my best to keep them happy until they went to sleep for the night at 5:30pm. Yep, sounds early but I would feed them some "dinner" around 4pm before everyone else and they would fall asleep fine and sleep until morning. Some days one would take a morning nap and the other one wouldn't. It was kind of all over the place. Now it is much more predictable. Letting them nap whenever might work for some people but I found I really needed that rhythm to our day. I needed time with the older dc's and time to get things done. Fortunately, my two have always seemed to have a fairly similar rhythm so it's worked out.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 12-16-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaeliz View Post
I feel like such a "lazy" mom in the respect that we never really had a "nap time" per se. They just slept when they needed to. I guess I would say that they've been down to one nap for a while, but sometimes they take two. I just don't have the energy to track it, or to be too concerned about it!
I am exactly the same! We have a definite routine but the kids (I have 16-month-old triplets) dictate it. They transitioned to one nap on their own around 10.5 months old - it was VERY early but I was not about to force them into a schedule that just made us all miserable. For a couple of months, they sometimes had a short second nap late in the afternoon, but they always went to bed by 8:30-9:00. Now they nap at 11:30 or so every day until about 2:30, and we start the bedtime routine around 7 and they're in bed by 7:45-8:00. It has been like that for a few months now.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help. The last three days the girls have had lunch and then their nap at 11:45 or so. It sometimes is 45 minutes for 1 twin and 3 hours for the other, but at least I'm not fighting them to take their naps. The second nap I give them if they are real tired in the evening, which depends on how long their first nap is. I think it just helped to hear that, yes, it takes some time for the transition and somedays they make take 1 nap and others 2. I just need to be flexible.

Thanks again,
Sarah

User Tag List