31 week twins poss IUGR???? - Mothering Forums
Parenting Multiples > 31 week twins poss IUGR????
someonenamedleah's Avatar someonenamedleah 04:47 PM 12-15-2009
Hi...

DH and I are trying to adopt a baby and in September we were matched with an expectant mom due in February with twin boys. She was planning a c-section for early January because both babies are breech. Today I spoke with her and she said that the babies may have to be delivered early, as the babies are very small (less than three pounds) and there may be issues with the placenta not working properly. She has an appointment tomorrow and will learn more. She is just past 31 weeks.

I am freaking out a little here. What should we expect next? What is the likely NICU stay going to be? For those of you with babies born this early, what were your experiences?

Thank you all in advance. I'm going to try to get to get me house cleaned/ laundry done/ Christmas gifts wrapped/ bags packed... just in case because babies are in another state.

Oh and I cross posted this on the preemie/nicu board

KCMichigan's Avatar KCMichigan 05:02 PM 12-15-2009
I would ask to tour your local NICU and see what to expect.

Ask her what kind of care she is getting. If she is delivering early, they most likley will suggest steriods to help mature the babies lungs. If urgent medical care is needed be prepared---who will make those choices? Lot of Questions can be answered if you talk to a Peri or neonatologist about IGUR and 31 week preemies (outcomes, risks of NEC, lung condition, etc). The choice for blood transfusions, vents, etc will probably occur and you should talk to the expecting mom. NICU is almost guarenteed before 34 weeks. Mine stayed 4 and 5 weeks.

I have 31.6 weekers. They are now 4. They are doing fabulous. We do have a few remnants of preemie life, but they are minor and totally non-issues for the most part.

They were an emergency C-section due to Baby B in distress.At birth, they were vented & both had blood transfusions. Both were fed via TPN and nasal tube--they did not try to bottle fed until 34 weeks gestation. They were small---but my 'smaller baby' (3.8 lbs) did better than my bigger baby (3.14 oz) and came home sooner. They both were on blood pressure meds & caffine for brady/apnea. We had monitors on then for the first 7/8 months. They did great and were involved in Early Intervention from the start. They had some gross motor delays (one still does) and had physical and occupational therapy (one still gets these), but both are reading, writing, talking, running, funny little girls that are academically doing very very well. One DD has caught up physically and the other still has some delays---but they are fantastic little people that chatter all day long.

The NICU is hard, but ask questions and get involved!! And I hope it all works out well for your family.
hergrace's Avatar hergrace 09:55 PM 12-15-2009
Great advice from the PP.

One of my triplets was an IUGR baby. He was born at 32 weeks and 6 days and weighed 2 lbs 9 oz. We had been watching him not growing for about a month before we saw a negative change in the blood flow to his brain, at which point they were delivered. As long as the blood flow in the brain and placenta are good, keeping them in improves the prognosis and reduces the chance of issues in the NICU. The difference between 31 weekers and 33 weekers can be substantial, so the details of my story may be irrelevant if she delivers in the next few days.

I had the steroids for lung development at 30 weeks.

My little guy was incredibly healthy for his size. He needed some support with his breathing, but no extra oxygen, and he was breathing on his own by the time I had recovered enough to visit him in the NICU. For a few days (3 or 4), he was fed primarily through the umbilical cord because he was too small for an IV, and then he was fed TPN through an IV because his stomach was so small it couldn't handle enough volume, and he had a nasal feeding tube after that. He was also quite jaundiced and needed phototherapy for a few days.

He was in the level 3 NICU for 2 weeks due to the TPN and the level 3 NICU for another 2 weeks. He would have been ready to come home a little earlier if I hadn't been holding off on bottle feeding to try to get breastfeeding established. He came home at just over 4 lbs with no monitors and he never had any bradys or apnea.

We had some minor bodywork done on him (myofascial release) because he had been so cramped in utero and all three had dairy intolerances and reflux (both of which are common with preemies). We also had some bfing issues common to preemies. Other than that, we have had no issues due to their prematurity or his size. They met all their developmental milestones by their corrected ages and we stopped correcting before their second birthday. We got the Synagis shots their first year (those are the RSV antibodies shots). At 2.5, nobody would know that any of my trio had been preemies and they certainly wouldn't guess that my IUGR baby had been so small.
Up