Did anyone NOT get huge really quickly? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2009, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am showing sooner for sure. I am 17 weeks and going in next week for sono for suspected twins (although my gut says just one). However, I am not huge by any means. In my DDs dance class this week there is another mom that is due two weeks after me and she told me she was having twins. I couldnt even tell she was pregnant. It gave me a bit of a panic as part of the reason I dont feel like there is more than one is simply because I am not showing insanely larger than before, which is a little odd as I have consistantly measured 6 weeks ahead all along.

Anyone not get really big really quick? I will know for sure in a week, but cant help but stew on it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 PM

I was showing to strangers at 7 weeks! Since we don't like to tell that early it was quite frustrating. And I got huge FAST! This was after having two pregnancies where I didn't show until after the 20-week ultrasound. I should have guessed.

But, all bodies are different. I imagine how much you show really depends more on your body type and weight gain (though I hadn't gained but a few lbs by the u/s).

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
Old 12-15-2009, 07:06 PM

I actually never got huge, which I had been expecting to. My belly was so flat before I went in at 13 weeks for my nuchal translucency scan, that I thought that maybe my body had just reabsorbed them. I just had a barely detectable bump by 16 weeks.

True I only made it just past 33 weeks, and their combined weight was about that of an average full term newborn, but I still would have expected to be bigger than I was.

I wouldn't use size early on as a reliable predictor.

Single mom to the Crunchy Froglets, Keith and Carlin, twin boys born 1/30/09. Frozen for 10 years, now unleashed on the world.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:26 PM

Did NOT get big right away .... in fact, when I found out we were having twins, I was still wearing regular clothes, and had a net weight gain of 1 pound. I was still nursing Rachel, and that may have had something to do with it. Once I weaned her (about 20 weeks,as I recall), then I started getting bigger.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Old 12-15-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I am quite sure there is just one, but do Love these stories! One one hand, I hyperovulated the 2 months before conception and am measuring 5-6 weeks ahead. On the other hand, I am not huge, had only 2 weeks of m/s that I was able to manage okay, so no real "twin symptons". I did feel this one move at like 14 weeks which is much earlier than my others. Now at 16.5 weeks I have a ton of movement which is not usual for me. However, when i feel around it FEELs like there is only one. All such a head game.

Love the stories is anyone else wants to share.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 PM

I grew very differently with my triplets than with my singleton. I carried my 8.5 lbs singleton small and people missed that I was pregnant at all until I hit 8 months.

With the triplets, I was unable to wear my regular jeans at 8 weeks, but I didn't get as huge as I expected to. The thing that was strangest to me was that I didn't look pregnant until I was 20 weeks or so. I just expanded out in all directions between my sternum and my hips, so I looked fat compared to my prepregancy self, but definitely didn't look pregnant until much later, and then I was huge.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
Old 12-15-2009, 10:41 PM

I never got big---ever, although I may have had I made it longer (delivered just shy of 32 weeks). I certainly did not look like I was carrying twins and I am small/slender so they had nowhere to hide.

I did not 'look' pregnant until about 18 or so weeks, before that I just looked roundish in my belly. I was never 'wow when are you due??' at 24 weeks I looked cutely pregnant. Until about 11 weeks I wore my regular jeans, then loose maternity jeans. I normally wear a small (non pregnant) and never wore bigger than a M in maternity tops--stayed S in pants.

It all depends on how/where you carry. My girls were wayy up and in. I had one under my ribs that drove me crazy and the other was deep in my pelvis (hard to U/S her) so not much to go 'out'.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 PM

I really didn't start to "show" with the twins until I was about 18-20 weeks. Then I just BLEW UP and within 10 days went from barely showing to looking about 6 months pregnant. It was sort of bizarre and I'm so glad I found out about them before that growth spurt or it would have freaked me out big time. This was in stark contrast to how big I got so fast with my third and fourth (twins were five and six). Like Hergrace it was just a very different gestation than my singletons.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:38 AM

i just hit 18 weeks on sunday and i think that i entered the blow up stage over the past week. i was showing before but not THAT much but suddenly it's very obvious to everyone that i'm pregnant. it's hard to compare to my last pregnancy but i feel like all of a sudden, i look bigger than 18 weeks.

happily married mama to DD1 4/08, angel2.gif angel2.gif12/31/09, and DD2 5/11

Old 12-16-2009, 12:39 AM

I never got that big. I didn't with my son either. In fact, when my girls finally came (albeit early), I was amazed: where did you guys fit??
Old 12-16-2009, 02:51 PM

I didn't really start "showing" until 18 to 20 weeks but have gotten progressively bigger since then. I am now 36 weeks and my stomach is measuring 54" around. I wasn't exactly thin to start with but I am 20" bigger around than I was 8 months ago.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 AM

I was very huge very early. It was my first pregnancy and I'd see women who look approx. as pregnant as I did, and I'd ask their due dates, and they would be 8 months pregnant to my 3 months!

I found out by u/s at 18w, but it wasn't a huge surprise. I look back on pictures and am just shocked at my size.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 12-18-2009, 12:26 PM

I was 21wks when we found out we were having twins, was measuring only 1 wk ahead and people didn't even realize I was pregnant - I had a bigger belly than I'd ever had before at that stage, but smaller still than a lot of people at 21wks with singletons. So - belly size was NOT an indication of twins for me.

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Counting down until Wednesday for sono now.

In the last few day baby has gotten move active and I am feeling there is just one now. I can push around and feel what I think it just one in there. That being said, I am amazed that I can be kicked at the same time in the lower left corner of my uterus and the upper right.

Maybe it is an octopus.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeChRi View Post
Counting down until Wednesday for sono now.

In the last few day baby has gotten move active and I am feeling there is just one now. I can push around and feel what I think it just one in there. That being said, I am amazed that I can be kicked at the same time in the lower left corner of my uterus and the upper right.

Maybe it is an octopus.
You know, that was SO not an indication for me. When we found our twins at 20 weeks they were stacked one behind the other. I never felt what was obviously two babies until they moved to a more 'side by side' positioning.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:54 PM

I 22 weeks pg with my twins and feel huge but the ladies at the salon today kept remarking how small I am. One woman said at 5.5 months pg with her singleton she was much bigger than me. Maybe they were just being nice to the pregnant girl but I've gotten a few, "wow, you're small for having twins" at out 20 wk u/s the babes measured right on schedule so at least I know they're fine.

welcomed my boy/girl twins on 04/22/10 after cooking them for 40 weeks
Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did not get especially "big". Sure, later on I was bigger than with my singletons, but I still fit all my regular maternity pants just fine (most of which were side-panel, or no-panel pants). No one in public ever gave me one of those amazed "Are you having twins/triplets?!" comments.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
Old 12-19-2009, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
You know, that was SO not an indication for me. When we found our twins at 20 weeks they were stacked one behind the other. I never felt what was obviously two babies until they moved to a more 'side by side' positioning.
Well heck.

I must say, twins of not for me....I just love reading all of you mama's stories. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarigh View Post
I 22 weeks pg with my twins and feel huge but the ladies at the salon today kept remarking how small I am. One woman said at 5.5 months pg with her singleton she was much bigger than me. Maybe they were just being nice to the pregnant girl but I've gotten a few, "wow, you're small for having twins" at out 20 wk u/s the babes measured right on schedule so at least I know they're fine.
Oh my gosh, I got this all. the. time. which was totally ridiculous because I was large and in charge. I didn't get as big as some twin mamas (coughcoughheathercoughcough) because I have a really long torso and crazy short legs but I was by no means tiny. My babies were 6.6 and 7.6! It was seriously my biggest pet peeve!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:25 PM

I have slowly and steadily gotten bigger with each passing week. I am not even 18 weeks and when I tell people I'm not due until May 28 they look flabbergasted until I tell them it's twins . With my singleton I showed much later.

I think how much/how fast you show has as much to do with the location of your uterus as it does with anything else. Everyone carries differently, so just as beta #'s can't really give you a reliable indication of whether it is multiples, either can belly size.

Can't wait to hear if you've got two babes in there!

Amy
mama to big brother Mason (Jan '05) and the littles, Adam and Holden (May '10)
Old 12-23-2009, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Tomorrow morning is it! I go back and forth thinking...no WAY it can be twins to...well it Has to be twins, lol. Like this morning I woke up and my tummy seemed so small I thought....no way. Then laying down tonight I got kicks at the same time, one wayyy low, about an inch to the right of the top of my public bone and one about a half inch above and an inch to the left of my belly button! I thought...no way that at just over 17 weeks my barely 5 inch baby can stretch that far. (I am 5'8 and long torso).

Realistically I do not think I am. Not very big, not awful m/s, not excessive movement (just Very spread out). Only things that plays with my head is that I was diagnosed the month before as a hyperovulater and that I am measuring so very far ahead and didnt with my past kiddos.

I will update tomorrow!
Old 12-25-2009, 02:40 PM

So? is it twins or a singleton?

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Old 12-25-2009, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Well....we will be having our 3rd little girl this spring. One baby, sono saying she is about 2 weeks ahead of herself on growth. I tend to grown big babies, but just never measured big. She is in perfect health and bouncing all over the place the whole time.

Thanks so much for your stories!

User Tag List